Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson Says 40 yard Dash is Most Important Drill at Combine (merge)

HtownColt

He looks slow even on that play I think, Chugging along, The reality on that play for me is that if any one of them 3 defenders make a respectable attempt at a tackle he comes away with a 3-4 loss (The tackling  attempts on that play I literally think a fan from the stands could have done provided they were the average height and weight of a man.....That's how horrendous that tackling was)

Nah.

When he puts his foot down and gets vertical, he's to the second level in a flash, and then he runs past everyone except the deep men who have a 20 yard head start. He didn't slow down until he's already run 50 yards, including the redirect in the backfield. And then the juke on the one guy who actually looked faster than him on the play, #21, is just devastatingly stupid. 

Also, I think you're missing the fact that Richardson had already been taking the Rebels out behind the woodshed for two and a half quarters. That was his fourth TD run. He had just popped a 16 yarder on them the play before. He already had 16 carries for 107 yards. They were diving around like they saw a pool out there because he was destroying them already. Think about how our defense looked on Blount's long TD run in the 2013 playoff game.

Richardson was a serious prospect, nearly unanimously. Him being a bust is actually a big, big shock. I wouldn't have taken him #3 overall because he's a RB, and I wouldn't have traded a first for him like Grigson did, but there was no question that he'd be a good player in the pros. 

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Ryan-Grigson-Previews-2015-NFL-Combine/4e49cbee-a13d-4ce2-9890-7ca2b86af2e3

Here's what Grigson was actually asked, and you can better see how his answer relates. He didn't say it's the most important drill.

I appreciate this post Superman because you're very good at putting things into context, not exaggerating, & reiterating what was actually said. Accuracy is so rare these days. Thank you. 

Grigson is slowly being exposed for what he is .

Sadly , it'll be die-hard Colts fans that 'll be the last to know .

Okay, I'll bite Ant Ave. What exactly is Grigson in your view? I'm not condemning you BTW. I honestly want to know your assessment of him & what factors led you to that conclusion. Do you believe he is an overrated talent scout or spends Jim Irsay's money poorly? Okay, I'll admit RB Trent Richard was a bust as was the INDY experiment with WR Darrius Heyward-Bey, but CB Vontae Davis & LB Jerrell Freeman have made valuable contributions to our organization. 

I'm not shy about my dislike for Grigson's double speak press conferences that tell you nothing, but I respect his scouting skills & ability to break down tape. 

Give it to me straight Ant Ave. I can take it. Just tell me why you believe what you believe. Thank you. 

Don't pull a Bill Clinton & say that it depends of what your definition of is is either. LOL! Just kidding! 

If we are putting all our cards on the table here, would this level of inquiry have anything to do with the fact that Grigson allegedly may have informed NFL zebras about deflated footballs during the AFC Championship Game now would it? Hmmm...

Yeah.....  a guy who tore down an aging and expensive and non-productive roster and completely rebuilt it on the fly.

Year One:   Wins 11 games with a rookie quarterback and a roster built on an $80 mill payroll and $40 Mill in Dead Cap money.

Year Two:   Wins 11 games plus a playoff game.

Year Three:  Wins 11 games plus two playoff games before losing in the AFC Championship.

C'mon my good man ...

This "unproductive roster " you speak of prior to Grigson's arrival was a sham .

The rest of the sports world has already come to grips with the fact that the Colts org. made a mockery of the game in 2011.

You know perfectly well that your upstanding boy-wonder owner Irsay directed his puppet Polian to pee in the talent pool .

2- 14 to 11 - 5 wow...what a great feel good story .

Except you left out the part about how prior to Grigsons arrival ( and suk4luck  ) 11 wins would have been considered UNDER-ACHIEVING in Indy .

Hopefully you understand that these 11 Win Grigson seasons you speak of so proudly of are predicated on the taint that is Andrew Luck .

Lucks talent may be the one thing that most Pats and Colts fans see eye to eye on .

It's real and it's spectacular .

But his Indy connection is , and will always be seen for what it is ...a tank job .

( In some ways not unlike the original situation that the INDIANAPOLIS Colts were born under )

I don't blame Indy fans for loving their team ...and Luck ...but let's not re-write history .

( It's like you find out that your mom was first married to a nice gentleman from Baltimore and your Dad woo'd her away and she re-marries your Dad ... you could care less about how you came to be...you're just happy to be )

The fact is the Colts are currently NOT led by Bill Polian and Peyton Manning because they tanked in 2011 in order to draft Luck ... So be it .

It happens to be THE original "Integrity of the game " issue but it somehow doesn't fit the NFL's shining shield narrative ...or Bob Kravitz'  me -me-media one ....but I digress .

Give ANY Gm a squad led by Luck - especially an organization that AVERAGED 12 wins a season in the prior decade - and throw in some of the most putrid competition the league has ever known ( Ten / Jax / Hou ) and guess what ?

That GM would probably succeed too .

Throw in a coach like Arians to help initially lead the way and my guess is a trained monkey would have a hard time failing .

Then again even a trained monkey wouldn't have mortgaged a 1st rounder for Trent Richardson .

Think about that for a moment ...

Cleveland's front office kicked the crap out of Grigson at the negotiating table ...the CLEVELAND BROWNS !

( actually Banner & Lombardi look pretty good next to the clowns currently running that train-wreck )

The Colts 2012 draft was outstanding ...Luck  / the TE's  / TY late in the 3rd especially

( I wonder if Polian's regime had any initial input into that stellar draft ? ...considering how admittedly putrid his selections were in the years prior ...probably not so much )

In all honesty I'm only semi-kidding in lobbing grenades at Grigson ... Polian's magic was starting to fade by 2009 ...Grigson was an upgrade .

Once again the Colts should be penciled in for 11 or so W's next fall -  due in some measure to what no one can argue is yet another weak schedule .

The problem is once the competition ratchets up in Jan ... cracks become fissures ...Trenches become glaringly devoid of depth ... talent becomes strained  - forced to do too much ...and over-rated GM's gets exposed .

Grigsons' last two drafts have been trending much weaker than his first ...Jury's still out on whether or not he deserves more praise than ridicule .

It may be just wishful thinking on my part  - but I'm hoping his 2012 draft was his peak .

C'mon my good man ...

This "unproductive roster " you speak of prior to Grigson's arrival was a sham .

The rest of the sports world has already come to grips with the fact that the Colts org. made a mockery of the game in 2011.

You know perfectly well that your upstanding boy-wonder owner Irsay directed his puppet Polian to pee in the talent pool .

Except you left out the part about how prior to Grigsons arrival ( and suk4luck  ) 11 wins would have been considered UNDER-ACHIEVING in Indy .

Hopefully you understand that these 11 Win Grigson seasons you speak of so proudly of are predicated on the taint that is Andrew Luck .

Lucks talent may be the one thing that most Pats and Colts fans see eye to eye on .

But his Indy connection is , and will always be seen for what it is ...a tank job .

( In some ways not unlike the original situation that the INDIANAPOLIS Colts were born under )

I don't blame Indy fans for loving their team ...and Luck ...but let's not re-write history .

( It's like you find out that your mom was first married to a nice gentleman from Baltimore and your Dad woo'd her away and she re-marries your Dad ... you could care less about how you came to be...you're just happy to be )

The fact is the Colts are currently NOT led by Bill Polian and Peyton Manning because they tanked in 2011 in order to draft Luck ... So be it .

It happens to be THE original "Integrity of the game " issue but it somehow doesn't fit the NFL's shining shield narrative ...or Bob Kravitz'  me -me-media one ....but I digress .

Give ANY Gm a squad led by Luck - especially an organization that AVERAGED 12 wins a season in the prior decade - and throw in some of the most putrid competition the league has ever known ( Ten / Jax / Hou ) and guess what ?

Throw in a coach like Arians to help initially lead the way and my guess is a trained monkey would have a hard time failing .

Then again even a trained monkey wouldn't have mortgaged a 1st rounder for Trent Richardson .

Cleveland's front office kicked the crap out of Grigson at the negotiating table ...the CLEVELAND BROWNS !

( actually Banner & Lombardi look pretty good next to the clowns currently running that train-wreck )

The Colts 2012 draft was outstanding ...Luck  / the TE's  / TY late in the 3rd especially

( I wonder if Polian's regime had any initial input into that stellar draft ? ...considering how admittedly putrid his selections were in the years prior ...probably not so much )

In all honesty I'm only semi-kidding in lobbing grenades at Grigson ... Polian's magic was starting to fade by 2009 ...Grigson was an upgrade .

Once again the Colts should be penciled in for 11 or so W's next fall -  due in some measure to what no one can argue is yet another weak schedule .

The problem is once the competition ratchets up in Jan ... cracks become fissures ...Trenches become glaringly devoid of depth ... talent becomes strained  - forced to do too much ...and over-rated GM's gets exposed .

Grigsons' last two drafts have been trending much weaker than his first ...Jury's still out on whether or not he deserves more praise than ridicule .

It may be just wishful thinking on my part  - but I'm hoping his 2012 draft was his peak .

I realize you directed this post to NCF. However to claim that INDY intentionally tanked our 2011 season to earn the #1 pick is beyond ridiculous. To even suggest that with a straight face is so far from reality it's impossible to even qualify let alone debate. Our former GM Bill Polian even said himself that he miscalculated QB Curtis Painter's ability to win games & get the job done after Peyton Manning's neck surgeries, but that hardly qualifies as deliberate sabotage. Also, everyone in INDY knows that a change at the QB position, specifically the removal of 18 & the drafting of Luck was initiated by Jim Irsay & Ryan Grigson had nothing to do with this regime change. No one in INDY or who faithfully follows INDY ever gave Grigs credit for that. 

Yes, we all know that the Colts need to generate more turnovers on defense, create better running lanes for our backs, & not become an interception liability against NE. We all grasp that concept very, very clearly Ant Ave. 

1361342758873060131.GIF

Off topic: I know it is common in Japanese animation films to give cartoon characters large pupils. I don't know what emotion that it is intended to evoke other than a drowsy sensation or sleepiness. Was that picture meant to signify disinterest or captain obvious sarcasm? Just asking MTC. 

Yeah.....  a guy who tore down an aging and expensive and non-productive roster and completely rebuilt it on the fly.

Year One:   Wins 11 games with a rookie quarterback and a roster built on an $80 mill payroll and $40 Mill in Dead Cap money.

Year Three:  Wins 11 games plus two playoff games before losing in the AFC Championship.

C'mon my good man ...

Look....   as a fan, your favorite team just won the Super Bowl,  so no matter what I, or anyone else says,  you have scoreboard.

You're number one.    No one can take that away from you.    A big congrats.

But as to your post,  you're simply delusional.    I'm a Luck fan,  so I wasn't here prior to Luck getting drafted,  but I followed the NFL and the idea that you think this franchise pulled a "Suck for Luck" is simply opinion supported by nothing.    Your rant -- and that's what it reads like -- is full of near paranoid delusions, wild speculations,  and out and out guesses.    Except you think they're all fact.

I'm not going to go point by point through them because there are no words that are going to make you change your mind on this.

Suffice to say your opinion doesn't register much with me.   I live in the real world where stuff just happens and you deal with it as it comes.   

Bottom line:   Most teams that do a near complete tear down as the Colts did after 2011 do not start the following year going 11-5.    And they don't continue to go 11-5 the next two years either.     That is done by good ownership and general managing.

Just like the Pats have been a dominant team for 15 years thanks to great ownership and front office.   But when you have a good year but don't win the Super Bowl,  no one says your GM sucks,  or Belichick doesn't know what he's doing.    So, kindly return to us the same favor.

Don't be a guest in someone else's house and make a mess of the place and try and dress it up as some honest post when it was almost pure nonsense......

You've got the ultimate prize.....  Super Bowl winning scoreboard.    But I wouldn't push your luck here....

Grigson is slowly being exposed for what he is .

Sadly , it'll be die-hard Colts fans that 'll be the last to know .

Ehhhh...... I partially agree with thus statement

Grigson gets a lot of undeserved praise due to the win counts, but without Andrew Luck.... This team is a 5 to 8 win team in one of the worst divisions in the NFL

Grigson isn't the worst GM ever, but he has had some very questionable calls in his short years here

Drafting a project player like Werner in the 1st round

Sending a 1st for a RB in a league where RB's are a dime a dozen

Trading Jerry Hughes for the terrible Sheppard

Just to name a few moves

But overall he has the right mindset, the chips just haven't fallen in place

And then there's the good things that Grigson did that just went south due to knuckleheads being knuckleheads

Brazill

Rogers

Boyett

Rainey

A. Jackson

Just to name a few of them as well

Overall, I'll give Grigson a C+ thus far in his tenure

Off topic: I know it is common in Japanese animation films to give cartoon characters large pupils. I don't know what emotion that it is intended to evoke other than a drowsy sensation or sleepiness. Was that picture meant to signify disinterest or captain obvious sarcasm? Just asking MTC.

It's from Pixar's monster inc and it's intended to be a "huh" gif.

Grigson gets a lot of undeserved praise due to the win counts, but without Andrew Luck.... This team is a 5 to 8 win team in one of the worst divisions in the NFL

Grigson isn't the worst GM ever, but he has had some very questionable calls in his short years here

Just to name a few moves

And then there's the good things that Grigson did that just went south due to knuckleheads being knuckleheads

Brazill

Rogers

Boyett

Rainey

A. Jackson

For the record, I didn't think much of Jerry Hughes when he was here. He didn't do anything when he had the chance here. Sometimes a player just needs a change of scenery and coaching to succeed. Jerry benefitted no doubt. Shepard was awful, agree.

Trading for Richardson, at the time, seemed like a good idea. I was neither for or against it at the time but hindsight is 20/20. It was a really bad decision.

Werner, I'm not completely disappointed in him yet. I think he's has some value. I didn't disagree with the pick at the time.

After all that, I will say it again, missing on 1st rounders will sink a team and a GM faster than anything. So, Grigson needs to hit big this year.

I would have to go back and look, but if I remember correctly there did not seem to be much correlation with who the Colts were reported to be talking to, showing interest in, etc ... and who we ended up drafting.  

Well I know with Werner, Pagano personally worked him out. And with Jonathan Newsome I think Grigson personally went to his pro day. I don't think we meat or visit with every prospect we like, but we at least talk to them at some point. We didn't have a 1st last year so we couldn't really see if that held true. If nothing else we always meet+workout our 1st round picks.

Posted · Hidden by Superman, February 18, 2015 - personal shot
Hidden by Superman, February 18, 2015 - personal shot

Just to name a few moves

Brazill

Rogers

Boyett

Rainey

A. Jackson

TKnight24 Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:52 PM

Some of you guys are just so ungrateful :facepalm:

I understand we need an oline, but look at who we just got for only a 1st rounder which will probably be in the 20's.

Think of it like this, in the 2012 NFL draft, the Indianapolis Colts selected Andrew Luck at #1 & Trent Richardson at #3

As much as I dislike you, I must credit your stupidity for providing me with hours of enjoyment.

C'mon my good man ...

Good Lord your posts are ignorant, I guess I should expect this from a person that started a thread with a "Hypothetical question".

Lol, funny, when I first read the article quoting Grigson yesterday I wondered to myself if he was going to be criticized for saying it. As a matter of being fair, he did say that they valued the interview as the most important element of the process and that they don't use the combine to change their draft board a great deal. But, when he said that the 40 time was the most important on field drill I thought to myself: For a QB? For an Offensive Linemen? For a Defensive Tackle? I thought it had the potential to open him up to criticism and maybe make him look a little amateur.

I'm sorry,  are you talking to me,  or to Ant Ave?     I honestly can't tell.

Sorry, in NO WAY was I referring to your post. I have yet to see any post from Ant Ave that was reasonable at any level. My apologies for not being clearer.

Sorry, in NO WAY was I referring to your post. I have yet to see any post from Ant Ave that was reasonable at any level. My apologies for not being clearer.

Hey,  no worries.    Since the post came to me, I got a bit confused.

And I agree with your view of Ant Ave.     That was a long rant he posted.    Complete nonsense bordering on gibberish.

Interesting to here that they don't change their board much after the combine. That means that as of right now the colts already have a good idea of who they want. That just makes me more pumped to see who they start bringing in for interviews and what pro days they go to.

I like that they dont change much. The Combine is a great Dog and Pony show but like Deion Sanders said "Check the tape. The tape dont lie."

Well I know with Werner, Pagano personally worked him out. And with Jonathan Newsome I think Grigson personally went to his pro day. I don't think we meat or visit with every prospect we like, but we at least talk to them at some point. We didn't have a 1st last year so we couldn't really see if that held true. If nothing else we always meet+workout our 1st round picks.

I do agree agree Pagano worked out Werner personally before the draft, but I don't think I remember hearing about it until an after the draft interview. Grigson probably did go to Ball State to watch Newsome especially since it is just right up the road. And I know we worked out or had a visit with Moncrief last year.

So far this year i believe the 2 highest rated guys I have seen us reported talking to are Stephone Anthony ILB and Clayton Geathers SS ... I am sure there are others that people who follow twitter much more closely than me have heard about , and a lot more will be reported during/after combine and during pro days.

I have no doubt at some point during the process we interview and/or go watch most of the players we end up drafting.  It just seems that in past years the players we are reported talking to or "appearing to have great interest in" we don't seem to draft (maybe we didn't like what we heard/saw???). Although that could easily just be my perception.

But, when he said that the 40 time was the most important on field drill I thought to myself: For a QB? For an Offensive Linemen? For a Defensive Tackle? I thought it had the potential to open him up to criticism and maybe make him look a little amateur.

"Especially at those skill positions."

I know someone posted but this has a ton of peoples comments. I didn't realize the entire league hated us http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/17/colts-view-the-40-as-the-most-important-on-field-drill-at-the-combine/

I've always really enjoyed listening to or reading quotes from Grigson.    I've interviewed countless front office execs in all sports and I find Grigson to be one of the more straight forward and interesting people.

He's got a number of interesting quotes about how he views the combine and how the process unfolds.

If you spend a lot of time on the draft page here and you're reading my post,  I encourage you to read this really good Kevin Bowen interview with Grigs....

I think you'll really enjoy it....

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Ryan-Grigson-Previews-2015-NFL-Combine/4e49cbee-a13d-4ce2-9890-7ca2b86af2e3

We had three different threads on this, in two different sections. I merged them, and it's now in the Colts section. Just FYI.

For the record, I didn't think much of Jerry Hughes when he was here. He didn't do anything when he had the chance here. Sometimes a player just needs a change of scenery and coaching to succeed. Jerry benefitted no doubt. Shepard was awful, agree.

Trading for Richardson, at the time, seemed like a good idea. I was neither for or against it at the time but hindsight is 20/20. It was a really bad decision.

Werner, I'm not completely disappointed in him yet. I think he's has some value. I didn't disagree with the pick at the time.

After all that, I will say it again, missing on 1st rounders will sink a team and a GM faster than anything. So, Grigson needs to hit big this year.

I mean yeah the trade looked good. But even Tashard Choice looked better than Richardson. Just no way you give a 1st rounder for a RB in today's league

PFT is a cesspool, especially the comment section. It's always Colts hate....its on par with the comment sections in YouTube videos. Total mob mentality. And Florio has it out for the Colts IMO. He's always taking cheap shots in his "news" articles, and twice I have been blocked for defending the Colts. I even changed usernames and went with a different email (you have to register using CafePress), and still my comments were removed. Which means he is tracing IP addresses, or someone on the staff is. That's pretty paranoid stuff. Especially since what I was saying wasn't remotely vulgar or inflammatory....yet others get away with calling Irsay every name in the book, making fun of TRich and any other Colts player, etc. I have since wised up and stopped trying...but Florio is right up there with Harvey Levin of TMZ in terms of being a sleaze.

PFT is a cesspool, especially the comment section. It's always Colts hate....its on par with the comment sections in YouTube videos. Total mob mentality. And Florio has it out for the Colts IMO. He's always taking cheap shots in his "news" articles, and twice I have been blocked for defending the Colts. I even changed usernames and went with a different email (you have to register using CafePress), and still my comments were removed. Which means he is tracing IP addresses, or someone on the staff is. That's pretty paranoid stuff. Especially since what I was saying wasn't remotely vulgar or inflammatory....yet others get away with calling Irsay every name in the book, making fun of TRich and any other Colts player, etc. I have since wised up and stopped trying...but Florio is right up there with Harvey Levin of TMZ in terms of being a sleaze.

Just use a a free VPN site and that will stop them from banning you by IP

There are plays from Alabama where he clowns an entire defense. Here's a 76 yard TD run from his senior year. That guy was scouted as one of the best all around backs in the draft over the last 20 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HaGJaJOjQw

The Trent Richardson we've seen in Indy is like the "body snatchers" version of Trent Richardson. It's like the Monstars from Space Jam came and stole his talent. I do think he's playing too heavy (even early in 2014 he had some second gear pull away ability), and I think there's truth to the rumors that he doesn't work hard and isn't a good pro, but there's no question that he was a talented prospect coming out. He ran a sub 4.5 at his pro day, and I think that's legit when he's 225 or so. Not the 240 that it looks like he was by December of last season.

+100 for the Monstars reference.

Just use a a free VPN site and that will stop them from banning you by IP

Thanks but I'm over it. It's a bunch of trolls...and it follows the herd mentality. The first few commenters make their points and the rest fall in line. Those with dissenting opinions are given massive "thumbs down" votes. Oddly, PFT will publish another article on the same topic, with a different tone, and get completely opposite comments....and the resulting lemmings following suit.

My biggest issue is with a man that is so insecure he bans/blocks users with viewpoints that don't fit his agenda. Not for flaming/trolling...just opposing viewpoints. Florio may get the scoop a lot, but he must be very paranoid.

There are plays from Alabama where he clowns an entire defense. Here's a 76 yard TD run from his senior year. That guy was scouted as one of the best all around backs in the draft over the last 20 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HaGJaJOjQw

The Trent Richardson we've seen in Indy is like the "body snatchers" version of Trent Richardson. It's like the Monstars from Space Jam came and stole his talent. I do think he's playing too heavy (even early in 2014 he had some second gear pull away ability), and I think there's truth to the rumors that he doesn't work hard and isn't a good pro, but there's no question that he was a talented prospect coming out. He ran a sub 4.5 at his pro day, and I think that's legit when he's 225 or so. Not the 240 that it looks like he was by December of last season.

#21 from Ole Miss literally missed a tackle 5 yards into the backfield. gave TRich a 10 yard headstart. Caught back up to him at the 15yd line and missed him again. Richardson fast- NOT

#21 from Ole Miss literally missed a tackle 5 yards into the backfield. gave TRich a 10 yard headstart. Caught back up to him at the 15yd line and missed him again. Richardson fast- NOT

I'm not saying that TRich is fast but your example to show he is not fast is ridiculous. Trent had to change direction at one point and almost come to a complete stop at another in order for 21 to catch up.