Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Has Boom earned the right to surpass Richardson on the Depth Chart?

ProblChld32

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've defended TRich, but he has never gotten a 50 yard run in his whole time here. Boom does it in his second game with snaps at important times in the game. (not garbage time). So yes. I'd also like to see how Tipton runs in this case, if he can do fine behind the line then we should probably dump TRich at some point. 

Yeah, if Jim Irsay had not been so anxious to get that big name in a trade, Grigson probably may not have made this TRich trade, I feel.

Now, in year 3, I feel that Grigs and Pagano have the stones to stand up to Irsay and tell him like it is, IMO.

Life will come a full circle with TRich playing in Cleveland again, Josh Cribbs playing in Cleveland again, and the pick we gave up for TRich became Johnny Manziel, who might start against us. Plenty of story lines.

Yeah, if Jim Irsay had not been so anxious to get that big name in a trade, Grigson probably may not have made this TRich trade, I feel.

Now, in year 3, I feel that Grigs and Pagano have the stones to stand up to Irsay and tell him like it is, IMO.

Life will come a full circle with TRich playing in Cleveland again, Josh Cribbs playing in Cleveland again, and the pick we gave up for TRich became Johnny Manziel, who might start against us.

100% speculation.

IMO he looks more Explosive and more instinctive than Richardson has. 

I still believe that TRich has a role on this team in goal line,  Pass protection and swing passes.  Boom though has been playing well and deserves a shot...IF he can stop the fumbling problem.  It is a problem too, he has lost 3 fumbles in 2 games.  Against even an average team, that could cost a victory.  he has also had another thsat we didn't lose last week.  Coaches will not trust him if he continues to fumble, he can't afford even 1 the rest of the season.  We saw the coaches react yesterday, after the 2nd fumble Boom didn't get many touches at all.  He is explosive, but 3 lost fumbles in 2 games will not work.......

TRich had shown no ability to run in our offense. I don't care if he hasn't ran for fitty yards in one run but I would like to see more 4 yard runs than 1-2 yard runs. Everyone else has ran for those 4+ yard runs against the same teams while TRich just runs into his own lineman consistently.

I just can't understand why he keeps getting playing time. When Holmes has been put on the inactive list practically every game this year for whatever reason, we keep running this guy out there with no success. It's now a running joke in our section, 2 yard Richardson with each run. Yesterday he couldn't even live up to that. Maybe he needs to go to a team with a different running scheme because he just does not fit in ours.

It's time to either change up our oline scheme/players to better suit his running style or cut bait and give up his reps to anyone else.

I've defended TRich, but he has never gotten a 50 yard run in his whole time here. Boom does it in his second game with snaps at important times in the game. (not garbage time). So yes. I'd also like to see how Tipton runs in this case, if he can do fine behind the line then we should probably dump TRich at some point. 

Agreed, i Lobbied for Richardson since he first arrived in Indy. I also wasnt a huge Boom fan once he was picked up, but his production in such a short period of time is better than what ive seen out of Richardson all season.  

This is similar to the issue in Washington. Just like Cousins and McCoy aren't necessarily the future at QB, their performance the show that RGIII is not an answer there. Same thing with Boom. He just proved that Richardson isn't the answer at RB. For now, let Boom start. But they need to be looking at RB's in the draft. You don't need a high round pick either. They need to find another Vick Ballard. Yet another back drafted lower than Richardson, who is better than him.

No, he's played pretty good the last two games and his explosion is superb but he has not shown enough yet to be pass Trich on the depth chart.  His blitz recognition is still pretty poor and his pass blocking is borderline bad.  And since the Colts are still a team that is going to pass 40+ times a game those two parts of a RBs game are very important.

I think so.  Boom is such a good runner, he finds the holes and he's fast!  I only have one problem, he fumbles way to much!  Maybe it's just me?  He fumbled 3 or 4 times against the Jags and 1 time against the Redskins if I am not mistaken?  He needs to cut down on the fumbles!  I also hope he can pick up on pass protection as well, Bradshaw was excellent at that.

Life will come a full circle with TRich playing in Cleveland again, Josh Cribbs playing in Cleveland again, and the pick we gave up for TRich became Johnny Manziel, who might start against us. Plenty of story lines.

Irsay has to take the fall for that trade? Lol. Grigson made a huge mistake....it's ok, he will live.

Agreed, i Lobbied for Richardson since he first arrived in Indy. I also wasnt a huge Boom fan once he was picked up, but his production in such a short period of time is better than what ive seen out of Richardson all season.  

I will second that I was hoping TRich would get it together and in some ways he has just not where we need him which is running the ball.  I think if Boom can hold on to the ball ( and he hasnt 4 times on the carpet two fumbles lost and the others we got lucky on ) he could be a really nice back. 

is he running better than trich.. absolutely, but if he fumbles the ball every game he is not the starter

Sounds crazy but, I'll take 80+ yards a TD and a fumble, over 2 yards per rush. Ball security is coachable,and is something he can grow out of. Being able to see is not.

TRich had shown no ability to run in our offense. I don't care if he hasn't ran for fitty yards in one run but I would like to see more 4 yard runs than 1-2 yard runs. Everyone else has ran for those 4+ yard runs against the same teams while TRich just runs into his own lineman consistently.

I just can't understand why he keeps getting playing time. When Holmes has been put on the inactive list practically every game this year for whatever reason, we keep running this guy out there with no success. It's now a running joke in our section, 2 yard Richardson with each run. Yesterday he couldn't even live up to that. Maybe he needs to go to a team with a different running scheme because he just does not fit in ours.

It's time to either change up our oline scheme/players to better suit his running style or cut bait and give up his reps to anyone else.

It's sad that we would have to change things to accomodate Trent but I think it would be necessary if we want him to be successful.  We lack in good blocking where he needs it the most.  Up the middle.  I blame Trent for some of his bad play but really most of it is on the interior line.  I am the biggest Trent supporter of all, but I feel it is becoming a distraction because of the fans.  He is a great blocker, but rushing wise, alot to be desired.  Ive seen multiple RB's behind his same line, and he doesn't do as well, but in his defense those other backs have the speed to bounce it outside, whereas Trent is a pure power runner up the gut!

No, he's played pretty good the last two games and his explosion is superb but he has not shown enough yet to be pass Trich on the depth chart.  His blitz recognition is still pretty poor and his pass blocking is borderline bad.  And since the Colts are still a team that is going to pass 40+ times a game those two parts of a RBs game are very important.

Yet alot of people do not recognize what Trent does well.  His blocking abilities are taken for granted by alot of folks on here.  If Luck were to get sacked because Boom didn't recognize/didn't pick up the blitz most people would blame the line.  Trent is more valuable to our pass offense than Boom is to rushing!

Yeah, Iv'e defended Trent long enough.  I said I'd give him halfway through the season and reserved judgment for a few more weeks since he's hot and he's cold.  But at this point, there's just no defending him.  When literally every RB you have does better, in generally teh same formations and whatnot, there's no debate left to be had.  I don't know if Boom is the answer or not.  I want to get a bigger sample to look at, but clearly, Trent isn't going to be that guy going forward for us.  He has a place on the team, sure.  It's just not as a feature back.

I think it is time to let Boom handle first and second down and transition Richardson into a third down back for now.  Richardson is a really good pass blocker and he is good in the passing game so I think he needs to be in there on third down.  

With that said I would put Boom on a short leash due to fumbles like GoColts mentioned.