Colts sign center Phil Costa [Merge]

coltsguy510

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

... some people dont understand depth

I think it has a lot more to do with us having to watch Satele, McGlynn, Linkenbach etc stink up the field for the past couple years, all while looking like they were actually TRYING to get our QB killed and also be the first team to average negative yards rushing on the season... just sayin' , until we actually see a GOOD line on the field, we should all be skeptical

Because Mack is better.

Well, DeMarcus Ware is better than Bjorn Werner.  Why not spend 10 million on him?   I don't disagree Mack is better right now.  But if they thought ANYTHING of Holmes when they drafted him, signing Mack at waaaaaay to much money for a center basically makes it so we will never know if Holmes is good or not.  I would rather see Holmes start and put that money into another guard, a WR, and a safety.

Luck should go talk to Grigs and tell him he wants an O Line that can protect him. Just be straight up. Luck should be furious with this move.

He. Is. Not. The. Starter.

It the situation really that hard to comprehend?

We need to cool our jets....and take a wait and see approach.  I am not in the least a Costa fan.  I sure am a Colt fan though and I will root him on!! :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :colts:  :colts: !!!!

Me too, but I can only see the villagers chasing Frankenstein's Monster so many times before I lose a little hope. Andrew doesn't do well with pitchforks and torches. His beard is highly flammable.

And how do you know he's just depth? Do you see another center on the roster other then holmes

Lance Louis played some center for the Bears.....guard too....Thomas Austin.

By the way, Holmes shows as Center/Guard on the roster.  If he is a better guard...so be it!!

Well, DeMarcus Ware is better than Bjorn Werner. Why not spend 10 million on him? I don't disagree Mack is better right now. But if they thought ANYTHING of Holmes when they drafted him, signing Mack at waaaaaay to much money for a center basically makes it so we will never know if Holmes is good or not. I would rather see Holmes start and put that money into another guard, a WR, and a safety.

Well, the Colts are interested in Mack, signed Costa, moved a guard to C when Satele got injured, and kept Satele as starter when he came back. That tells me about what they think about Holmes and if you believe the local writers the team isn't high on him at all.

Me too, but I can only see the villagers chasing Frankenstein's Monster so many times before I lose a little hope. Andrew doesn't do well with pitchforks and torches. His beard is highly flammable.

Another fantastic reason to shave that Geico lookin' thing!  :)

Lance Louis played some center for the Bears.....guard too....Thomas Austin.

By the way, Holmes shows as Center/Guard on the roster.  If he is a better guard...so be it!!

I forgot all about Louis lol 

Didn't Mcglynn make about $2 a year too?

What does our line look like right now? Help me on this...

LT: AC

LG: Thomas

C: Holmes/Costa

RG: Thorton

RT: Cherilus

Is that right? If it is I'm still really worried about the middle of the line!!!!! :(

Only weak spot is center imo, and Holmes could be decent, and Costa could do better in a new environment, so who knows. We still are trying to acquire Mack

Well, I can't say I'm upset, but I'm not thrilled.

Costa is an inconsistent player, who at his worst, is a big liability.

If I were the Colts, I would look at some centers in the draft. I don't think you can be completely content with Costa slated as the center now.

I think Costa is just our new version of McGlynn

Analysis: Costa is a hard-working college lineman with limited physical skills and upside potential for the next level. His ability to play any of the three interior offensive line positions will get him an invitation to camp this summer.

What does our line look like right now? Help me on this...

LT: AC

LG: Thomas

C: Holmes/Costa

RG: Thorton

RT: Cherilus

Is that right? If it is I'm still really worried about the middle of the line!!!!! :(

Would be cool to pick up a guard. Not comfortable with Thornton starting. 

I don't like the signing of Costa at all, not even as a backup. He's not good and was beat out by a rookie. I don't think this is just a depth signing he could be actually competing for a starting job against Holmes. Hopefully, Holmes can beat him out because Costa is just as bad if not worse then Satele.

Well, the Colts are interested in Mack, signed Costa, moved a guard to C when Satele got injured, and kept Satele as starter when he came back. That tells me about what they think about Holmes and if you believe the local writers the team isn't high on him at all.

I agree, it didn't look good for Holmes last year when they wouldn't put him on the field and would instead use guys off the street.  I am just assuming we don't know something.  Maybe his foot injury was still bothering him?   He played a little late.  What I like is he is a heady guy.  Should be good at line calls.  He is a big presence.   I love Mack, but I just don't think a Center is worth 10 million.

I don't like the signing of Costa at all, not even as a backup. He's not good and was beat out by a rookie. I don't think this is just a depth signing he could be actually competing for a starting job against Holmes. Hopefully, Holmes can beat him out because Costa is just as bad if not worse then Satele.

The Cowboys drafted a center because Costa only played 6 games the past two seasons. Not because of his performance. 

Plus Ryan Cook was the starter. 

If he's not then Holmes probably is. Which is a bad idea IMO. I don't think Holmes will ever be more than a backup.

FA isn't even close to over, and there's plenty of quality centers in the draft.

People are overreacting.

We need to cool our jets....and take a wait and see approach.  I am not in the least a Costa fan.  I sure am a Colt fan though and I will root him on!! :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :colts:  :colts: !!!!

Hey, let's face it, with Link signed out from under us in a sly move by KC, we needed someone around here with broad enough shoulders to be the forum whippin' boy.  Enter Phil Costa.

I'm content with our starting tackles... AC at left tackle is good enough and getting better, and Cherilus at right tackle is really good...but Thornton was bad last year...I know he was a rookie, but there are no guarantees that he will improve that much...Thomas has potential, but he had a pretty significant injury. For everyone to just assume that he will come back 100% and play like nothing ever happened, is a little optimistic, to say the least...and at C...well, we have a guy who couldn't beat out Satele OR McGlynn and now we have Costa, who's best youtube highlight is getting demolished by a SEVENTH ROUND draft pick, if you listen to the audio of that clip...   my point is, Andrew Luck is our most important player, he IS the franchise for the next decade plus...after the horrendous offensive line play we have had to deal with the past 2 years, and then having so much cap space last year and this year.... I don't want to wait years n years for the line to finally become good, while we spend our FA money signing "diamonds in the rough".  I just don't like it.   And for everyone who complains about what Mack may cost, what would it cost us if Andrew Luck is seriously injured because our line is crap again?