Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign center Phil Costa [Merge]

coltsguy510

The Phil Costa signing is more as insurance and an indictment on the health/caliber of Khaled Holmes that they got to see up close for a year as a work in progress. I am beginning to think they are not liking what they are seeing.

Yet they are loving what they are seeing in Holmes, Plan A, and signed costa as veteran competition with Austin for the backup role.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Grigson has an AWFUL Record with the O-Line so Duh! Most contracts are really 3 year deals, all about the Guaranteed $$$.

Everybody knows that.

Gee, how can Elway come up with all that Cap space? Wow, how can * come up with $12M for Revis?

They said Decker wanted $10M, what did he get? Grigson establishes the Value of a player and how much $$$ he wants to spend on the line in any given year. Spending $10M per year the next 2 years may fit right into Grigs Plan.

How do you have the cap Planned for the next 2 years, does it work for you? haha!

haha I have no plan! I just know Grigs knows a lot more than any of us. He may not always be right and may make a bad decision here and there but is anyone perfect? Not gonna nail every move. And for some people that get all bent out of shape at one move that does not work out or when Grigs doesn't do something how they see and think it should be done then I'd like to see them be in the GM chair and never make a bad move or mistake. I think it'd be real funny to see how they do, since alot of them seem to think they always have the best idea and know what the best move is for the team. And even call some players a failure and say the will never be good before they even step foot on the playing field at this level. It gets ridiculous at times.

i liked getting lance louis i think he could get a legitimate shot at starting G if not id keep him for solid depth as well as costa would be a good back up C and a good third guard option i like the signing i think both our offensive and defensive lines will be improved next year in grigs i trust go colts!

Ok lets trying looking at it this way. Castanzo came in and played as a rookie and from my recollection many felt he wasn't good enough to be our LT and wanted him to be cut after one season. It now seems that the majority of this board is happy to have him there, are also happy with his progress and see him as a staple on the line. Fast forward to Thornton and Holmes, Now Grigson said before last years draft that he does not like throwing OL into the heat of battle due unforeseen circumstances Thorton was throwing into the Line and it seems like we are beginning to see history repeat itself with posters not liking how he played on his rookie season (out position). Also might be worth mentioning that Castanzo was a 1st round and Thornton a 3rd but maybe not. As for Holmes he started getting game time more in the postseason and hopefully that will continue into the preseason and beyond but maybe not. I for one have know idea how the coaching staff feel about him. While i like that they were pursuing Mack the fact they feel content enough to only bring in competition means they do have maybe a lil faith in Holmes and sre willing to give him a chance. Costa may be useless but from what i have heard and read on roto he has progressed thats all you can ask from a OL man. so i say give the man a chance and we will see where the cards lie comp Week 1. Rant over.  

Colts are going to have the same horrible line that they've always had, freaking horrible signing if not worse. I can't believe how foolish and *ic they are to do this. No chance at the super bowl for sure now. Hope they are happy when Luck gets injured because that seems to be what they want with the horrid o-lines they've put in front of him. So extremely disappointed.

Are you 4 yrs. old?

Colts are going to have the same horrible line that they've always had, freaking horrible signing if not worse. I can't believe how foolish and *ic they are to do this. No chance at the super bowl for sure now. Hope they are happy when Luck gets injured because that seems to be what they want with the horrid o-lines they've put in front of him. So extremely disappointed.

Anything else you need to get off your chest!.. haha!

Well, I don't know how accurate PFF is, but they rank Costa as 10th best FA C.  Satele was 27th.  That's a pretty big improvement.  I mean, it's not like Costa was 25th or something. 

Like I said before, Costa is certainly better than Satele, so if worst comes to worst, we at least upgraded from what we had

Like I said before, Costa is certainly better than Satele, so if worst comes to worst, we at least upgraded from what we had

Well, that's what I was asking.  Lots of fans saying he stinks and isn't much of an upgrade over Satele.  I'd like to know why they think this, or is it simply internet wildfire.

Well, that's what I was asking.  Lots of fans saying he stinks and isn't much of an upgrade over Satele.  I'd like to know why they think this, or is it simply internet wildfire.

Costa is certainly better than Satele, I think someone else put this somewhere in this thread, but PFF ranked Costa as the #10 FA center, and Satele #27

Well, that's what I was asking. Lots of fans saying he stinks and isn't much of an upgrade over Satele. I'd like to know why they think this, or is it simply internet wildfire.

Most of them have no idea. They're just repeating crap to fit in with their internet buddies. I'll admit I don't know much about him. He maybe much better than we think, he could be really bad, or he could be an average center that can play just fine. He's here so I'll root for him to be good.

Costa is certainly better than Satele, I think someone else put this somewhere in this thread, but PFF ranked Costa as the #10 FA center, and Satele #27

That's because Costa had a grade of 0.1 because he only played one snap.

Well, that's what I was asking. Lots of fans saying he stinks and isn't much of an upgrade over Satele. I'd like to know why they think this, or is it simply internet wildfire.

From his 2011 season I'm reading that his first few games were terrible, but he settled down as the season progressed. Good depth player. Hopefully nothing more.

Most of them have no idea. They're just repeating crap to fit in with their internet buddies. I'll admit I don't know much about him. He maybe much better than we think, he could be really bad, or he could be an average center that can play just fine. He's here so I'll root for him to be good.

Seems like it.  I'm like you.  He may be great.  He may be terrible, but nobody seems to be making much of a case for either other than that's the way they see it.

From his 2011 season I'm reading that his first few games were terrible, but he settled down as the season progressed. Good depth player. Hopefully nothing more.

Thanks.  I just can't find anything on this guy. 

One thing to keep in mind, if Costanzo and Cherilus keep up what they did last year, Thornton takes a couple steps forward like a rookie should, and Thomas comes back healthy, that should mean we don't need an all-star center. One weak link on the line won't devastate us or kill us, if you get good line play all around you, it can help disguise one players weakness

Are you 4 yrs. old?

Lol....this board is humorous at times.

I think there is an overreaction to this signing. I view Costa as more of a replacement for Link/McGlynn....a versatile interior lineman.....a backup plan for Center at worst. Hopefully, our starting center is not on the roster yet. I wish people would chill out at least until training camp starts.

Lol....this board is humorous at times.

I think there is an overreaction to this signing. I view Costa as more of a replacement for Link/McGlynn....a versatile interior lineman.....a backup plan for Center at worst. Hopefully, our starting center is not on the roster yet. I wish people would chill out at least until training camp starts.

I agree. I doubt if Costa is or was intended to be our starting center. It might not be Mack or one of the other top 2 guys either, but maybe Johnathon Goodwin will be brought in. He's old but he'd be a good stop gap.

Rotoworld is high on him.

"Cowboys released G/C Phil Costa.
The move is a bit surprising because Costa is a valuable interior reserve..."

"Costa, 26, was an effective blocker more often than not when called on in Dallas. He would be a strong signing for depth in either of these locations"

"Costa should draw interest on the open market as a backup or training camp contender."

"Costa would be a rare value pickup for high-paying Indy, and could be their Week 1 starting center, upgrading on outgoing Samson Satele. He turns 27 before the season and has been effective more often than not when he's played"

"We wouldn't rule out Costa starting at center for the Colts, or at least giving Khaled Holmes a serious run for his money."

I would have a hard time believing that most of the people criticizing him have any more knowledge than what they found from a google search. I also don't understand why they think he is a shoe in at center. He is a utility interior lineman and most likely a backup plan at this point. We lost both Link and McGlynn....we needed a utility guy.

I'm going to let this thing play out before I make my judgements.  The one thing I will say in Holmes defense is how can anyone say with certainty that Holmes sucks when none of us have barely even seen him play.  The few times he did play he graded out well even though I don't believe he was playing center at the time.  Nobody really even knows why he wasn't playing center other than making assumptions based on this and that.  Like Grigs and Pagano said "We have a plan in place and you will find out what that is".  

Let's let it play out!

I personally think Holmes has a much higher upside then Costa if Holmes works hard, He has superior mobility to Costa and Costa wont get a consistent push in the run game, Also Holmes arm length at 35 inches appears significantly longer then Costas

Someone on Twitter said Costa sucks at blocking and is better at blocking then snapping the ball.

Could be sour grapes, or he could be bad, I ain't seen him play so I have no idea.

What's the worst that could happen ? Luck is running for his life and another year of excuses for Richardson.

Who knew the forum was so attached to McGlynn cause that's who Costa is replacing.  I doubt he'll be world beater but I think he's an upgrade over McGlynn, Satele, or Linkenbach which is all the team is expecting him to be.  Now go sign EDS please!

at the :15 mark of Costas interview after his signing the reporter said "A great chance to compete for a starting job it sounds like" and Costa said "Yes without a doubt thats my mindset and the Colts provide a great oppurtunity for it".......Makes me wonder if the Colts promised him a chance to compete for the starting job or they really do see him as depth....Who really knows, His salary seems to suggest depth but I certainly wouldn't see that as the be all end all indicator. Will be interesting in the coming days

at the :15 mark of Costas interview after his signing the reporter said "A great chance to compete for a starting job it sounds like" and Costa said "Yes without a doubt thats my mindset and the Colts provide a great oppurtunity for it".......Makes me wonder if the Colts promised him a chance to compete for the starting job or they really do see him as depth....Who really knows, His salary seems to suggest depth but I certainly wouldn't see that as the be all end all indicator. Will be interesting in the coming days

My guess is that he's thinking of the Saturday situation. UDFA, brought in by the Colts, then became the starter. I think that's what he's hoping here. Also, he has a 3.5 million incentive, which means he could possibly.