Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign center Phil Costa [Merge]

coltsguy510

Oh man, this seems like kind of expensive depth for someone who got beat out by a rookie last year. I hope Grigson wasn't wearing his Satele glasses when he watched tape on Costa.

Lolly, that Rookie ended up being a Top Quality center by the end of the year.

In the one year Costa was a starter he had a -9 PFF grade. He is not good against Big lineman. cough cough.

Hopefully there is very little guaranteed $$$ and he has to make the roster to earn that dough. Not a good sign for us if he is on the 53 man roster. Oh well, because of injuries we do have to go into trainging camp with several bodies.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Luck should go talk to Grigs and tell him he wants an O Line that can protect him. Just be straight up. Luck should be furious with this move.

LOLOL.  "Grigs, ya bastage!  How dare you sign a back-up who can play guard and center in a pinch."  Some of ya'll are certifiable.  So the guy guy goes to camp and competes.  He either performs and makes the roster or doesn't.  Let's see.

I would like Clemons..but according to nfl.com we haven't contacted him

CHRISCLEMONSSTATUSUFA
INTERESTED TEAMS:

A durable, league-average starter, Clemons has been unable to land a long-term deal from the Dolphins or any other team. Read related content

According to NFL.com no other team has either, so I wouldn't make any assumptions just yet.

Trade a guy we drafted in the 4th last year that no one in the league has any tape on....where do you people come from?

Just as absurd is assuming said 4th rounder with zero experience is the entrenched starter.

Is free agency over with? Did Costa take the rest of our cap money? I'm pretty sure the answer to both of those questions is no! People just need to stop with the bellyaching and whiny nonsense.

I'm not bellyaching or whining. I'm just saying, the weakest unit on this team was interior offensive line. Is signing Costa going to fix it? Hope so. But I doubt it. He couldn't crack Dallas' leaky offensive line lineup last year. I come here to give my opinion and converse with other fans. I didn't complain about any other FA signings. I like most of them. Im a little ambivalent about the signing of Jackson but this signing I'm not excited about at all.

Its sooo funny reading everyone's posts and how everyone is so happy when we sign a big name or a player they like, but now we sighn a player who hasn't really proven himself yet and has been injured and all of the sudden most everyone has their pannies in a bunch. I think Grigs knows what he's doing. We do need to be smart regarding our future. Next year we have a couple rather large contracts were probably gonna have to fork out. I'd love Mack too but if its gonna Jepradize us financially in the future and potentially cost us multiple other key players on our team at multiple other key positions just to get a stud at one key position, then I don't know that's the best option at this point. We gotta be looking down the road 3-5 years, not just next year. I just think Mack is gonna require too much $$$. Most likely upwards of 10 mil a year and he's probably gonna want a 4 year deal at the minimal. And I wouldn't doubt Cleveland matches anyways unless we get crazy and start throwing some crazy numbers out there which I highly doubt Grigs will do. I'm just trusting Grigs on this

Grigson has an AWFUL Record with the O-Line so Duh! Most contracts are really 3 year deals, all about the Guaranteed $$$.

Everybody knows that.

Gee, how can Elway come up with all that Cap space? Wow, how can Belichick come up with $12M for Revis?

They said Decker wanted $10M, what did he get? Grigson establishes the Value of a player and how much $$$ he wants to spend on the line in any given year. Spending $10M per year the next 2 years may fit right into Grigs Plan.

How do you have the cap Planned for the next 2 years, does it work for you? haha!

Grigson has an AWFUL Record with the O-Line so Duh! Most contracts are really 3 year deals, all about the Guaranteed $$$.

Everybody knows that.

Gee, how can Elway come up with all that Cap space? Wow, how can * come up with $12M for Revis?

They said Decker wanted $10M, what did he get? Grigson establishes the Value of a player and how much $$$ he wants to spend on the line in any given year. Spending $10M per year the next 2 years may fit right into Grigs Plan.

How do you have the cap Planned for the next 2 years, does it work for you? haha!

giphy.gif

I'm ok with the Costa signing.

Although I am not that familiar with Costa, several other teams were interested in signing him (including NE Patriots) so I will assume Grigson did his homework.

I have to admit, I am also not familiar with Alex Mack either. But I have a feeling, like myself,  most of the fans on this forum are not really familiar with Alex Mack..

But most likely they all just read that PFF or some other computer system says he's the best center.

Come on, did many of us really even watch any Cleveland games? And even if you did, was your attention on the play of the Brown's center?

Lets give Costa a chance first before we declare him worse than Satele.

And it would be nice to see Khaled Holmes get his chance. After all Holmes had great potential; coming out of USC, and had all last season to learn with the Colts.

Now I hope we sign Hakeem Nicks.

lol no, Costa > Satele, go watch some film bud. Plus we still have Khaled Holmes who could very well start, and looked good in his few snaps might i add

Bud? No thanks.

And most of my family are Cowboys fans. I'll admit I wanted Mack and know little of him.

But I've watched Costa more than enough times, and I cringe thinking I now may have to watch him more.

why are you dissing on the signing? Grigson was a lineman, I am sure he knows how to evaluate talent alot more then any of us... Don't sign players for a name, but rather for how they play. I support the signing he really can't be worst then Satelle

Not being worse than Satele can't be the standard.

If we're cutting a guy who had a year left on his contract, the standard has to be an improvement.   A big improvement.

And it's not clear that Costa is a big improvement.

I'm not bellyaching or whining. I'm just saying, the weakest unit on this team was interior offensive line. Is signing Costa going to fix it? Hope so. But I doubt it. He couldn't crack Dallas' leaky offensive line lineup last year. I come here to give my opinion and converse with other fans. I didn't complain about any other FA signings. I like most of them. Im a little ambivalent about the signing of Jackson but this signing I'm not excited about at all.

Its cool, its just some people are flying completely off the handle. Somebody just posted an article in the Mack thread and it talked about Indy signing Costa to what is most likely a backup role. It says Mack really wants to play for the Colts and his agent is coming up with creative ways for that to possibly happen. People just need to relax and let this play out.

That's how I read them too. And it makes perfect sense to read his comments in that way. It doesn't provide the grounds to insult someone else's intelligence if they happen to interpret something else from the same words, however. That's what it seemed like one or two posters were doing.

I'm still hopeful that we'll sign another center but I'm not convinced that we will. Like you said, it's still early and we'll have to see. I'm not thoroughly excited by the prospect of either Costa or Holmes starting but if Grigson deems one of them fit then I'll concede to his better judgement. 

As an additional note, it's promising that it took this long for the forum to implode. I guess that means we have a couple of real keepers in Jones and Jackson!  :jump:

Try this one. Donald Thomas was not known as the quickest athlete. His injury was serious, worse than an ACL according to him.

A move to Center could be considered for him and Holmes might then be in competition for a guard spot. The wheels are turning.

With the revamp of the O-Line it should be a very competitive camp and Pre-season.

The Phil Costa signing is more as insurance and an indictment on the health/caliber of Khaled Holmes that they got to see up close for a year as a work in progress. I am beginning to think they are not liking what they are seeing.

Its cool, its just some people are flying completely off the handle. Somebody just posted an article in the Mack thread and it talked about Indy signing Costa to what is most likely a backup role. It says Mack really wants to play for the Colts and his agent is coming up with creative ways for that to possibly happen. People just need to relax and let this play out.

I DEMAND GRATIFICATION!  NOW!

I agree with some people in here.

He's a depth guy brought in for either C or G and to keep the competition going in camp and practice. It is kinda early to go after guys like that but oh well.

People forget how many guys are brought in strictly for competition or mentoring and rarely see the field.

idk bout that  he had the 4 botched snap game  ( check internet highlight reel ) lol

Peyton Manning had 6 interceptions in a game once.

Not saying Costa is Peyton Manning, just that the game your referencing probably isn't enough to judge this contract by.

I agree. I don't think the Mack deal is realistic but who knows.

I wouldn't completely rule out Khaled Holmes either, he was impressive in his few snaps last season

I just think there are plenty of reasons to be highly skeptical of any plan that would involve Holmes being the starting C.  Not saying it can't/won't happen...just pointing out that we all should be concerned to be in a situation where that is a possibility.  I understand the frustration with some of the overreaction, but I also think it's entirely reasonable to be frustrated with the uncertainty still present on the O-line. When you consider what is at stake (the success/health of the teams greatest asset) it's uncomfortable to not have a sufficient plan in place. I know this could all change if we somehow get Mack, EDS, or DLP..but as of now we have no reason to think those are possibilities....