Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign center Phil Costa [Merge]

coltsguy510

Most of them have no idea. They're just repeating crap to fit in with their internet buddies. I'll admit I don't know much about him. He maybe much better than we think, he could be really bad, or he could be an average center that can play just fine. He's here so I'll root for him to be good.

Im with ya on this my friend,Support but will be quick to criticize if he doesn't do the job expected.Lets face it Satele was a total bust IMO ,just about anyone with some heart to back up the play will be an improvement !

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This guy seems like some solid depth and a fail safe if we land nobody else via draft/free agency and Holmes flames out in training camp. I cannot see Grigs putting his feet up and thinking the center spot is solidified for two years now.

It would be interesting to get some Cowboy fans's perspective on Costa as full time starter.

They are saving money with this player but where are they going to go heavy with another signing..... All the good safeties are gone...... Nicks should be gotten for cheap.

Nicks won't be that cheap, has already turned down a 1 year deal for $4.5mm.

Still no word on contract details?

It seems to me that every off season Grigs has at least one head scratcher signing.  Last year I think it was Walden.  This year it's Costas.  

I really hope he's looking for a real starting center.  There are a couple available and he should be willing to pony up the dough for one.  

I"m still thinking this was a depth/insurance signing and that there is something bigger in play

Hoping you are right. Watching Costa and the Cowboys Oline in the past does not lead one to believe Costa is the answer or any better than the dreadful McGlynn moving to center.

I'm starting to feel like Grigson is blowing this off-season again. The D'Qwell Jackson signing was pointless, and sounds like we overpaid. Karlos Dansby got 4 years 24 million (14 guaranteed) and we just gave Jackson a slightly cheaper deal. From everything I've read about him, his play against the run has been horrible the last 2 seasons, and that's what we need addressed more than a coverage linebacker. I understand that the way his contract is structured, he'll be easy to let go after a season or 2, but let's be realistic...Grigson isn't going cut him if his play is poor within the first 2 years. Toler's contract was the same way and he was a disappointment last year, yet he's still on the roster. Even if Jackson sucks next year, Grigson will keep him on board another season to give him another chance. 

Then there's the whole starting center situation that I feel like he's totally mishandling right now. His only move along the offensive line to this point is injury-proned, underwhelming Phil Costa. Yet, we keep hearing about him chasing a dream (and wasting time) talking with Alex Mack's camp ( he's not leaving Cleveland), and probably wasting money on Hakeem Nicks (another injury-proned player) at a position that doesn't really need an immediate upgrade. If he lets some of the other decent interior offensive lineman slip by because he's too busy swinging for the fences with Mack, i'm going to say he's blown this free agency period. Interior line is our greatest area of need, by far, and so far the only thing he's done to address it is cut Satele and replace him with a cheaper version of himself. 

To his credit, he did lock up Vontae (and didn't overpay to do so), and sign Arthur Jones. Those are his 2 best moves so far this off-season. I just hope he's talking to other centers besides Mack, because the odds of us getting him are slim

As per @TomPelissero, C Phil Costa will make only $1.2M in 2014, $450K guaranteed, no bonuses. Not exactly "starter" money. Less than Reitz.

Like I suspected, quality backup

This source says it's a 2.7 million dollar total contract with about $800,000 in incentives so it could be worth up to 3.5 million total over 2 years.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2014/03/source-indianapolis-colts-sign-ex-dallas-cowboys-ol-phil-costa-to-two-year-contract-worth-up-to-3-5-million.html/

The only question is, is this guy ment to be a backup or is this guy ment to be a cheaper turnstile then Satele was?  

I hope we are signing a real center to start and just keeping this guy on hand for depth.  If we do sign a starting center does that mean Holmes is done in Indy?

This source says it's a 2.7 million dollar total contract with about $800,000 in incentives so it could be worth up to 3.5 million total over 2 years.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2014/03/source-indianapolis-colts-sign-ex-dallas-cowboys-ol-phil-costa-to-two-year-contract-worth-up-to-3-5-million.html/

The only question is, is this guy ment to be a backup or is this guy ment to be a cheaper turnstile then Satele was?  

I hope we are signing a real center to start and just keeping this guy on hand for depth.  If we do sign a starting center does that mean Holmes is done in Indy?

I'm hoping it's more of a depth move since we lost Link, especially since he's a versatile lineman. I still think we make a move for a veteran center. Hopefully Mack, if Grigs is patient enough.

Nicks is the LAST WR in this FA class I would sign.    He always has a "boo boo" and from reports in NY ...     a habitually LATE participant for meetings and such.

Pass please Grigs....        Don't get drunk by his potential.

If it happens I hope for the best but I will surely be expecting the worst.

Oh well, ...   Grigs did get us Trent?   hehee 

Hey Colts fans.

Costa is a quality backup. He's not starter material, but a very good backup. Most Cowboys fans dislike him, but I have a soft spot for the guys that work their way from UDFA up to an NFL roster (like Romo).

Costa isn't going to set the world on fire or anything, but he is a nice backup plan. 

Good luck.

Hey Colts fans.

Costa is a quality backup. He's not starter material, but a very good backup. Most Cowboys fans dislike him, but I have a soft spot for the guys that work their way from UDFA up to an NFL roster (like Romo).

Costa isn't going to set the world on fire or anything, but he is a nice backup plan. 

Good luck.

Being a quality backup probably means he's better then our previous starter.  

I'm hoping it's more of a depth move since we lost Link, especially since he's a versatile lineman. I still think we make a move for a veteran center. Hopefully Mack, if Grigs is patient enough.

You know looking at our cap space I'm liking the idea of Mack a lot less.  If we sign Mack we're pretty much done and can't afford anyone else.  Not Nicks not anyone.  If we get BDLP or EDS we have the space left to sign someone else.

PHIL COSTA???

Im a fan that majors and minors in Colts football and I'm sorry but the name Phil Costas being signed on day 3 of free agency is a big deal. Ok, he could be the man in 6 months, but today I don't understand why we're signing backups (AT A POSITION OF NEED) on day 3.

I have to treat this guy right now as the potential starter, right? Or why are we even worried about him now. Grigs being an ex-OL is going to make him think he can "make" a star, watch.

The only thing I can really reach for is somehow this plays into the A Mack negotiations, but how, i don't know.

:lol:  ROFLMAO Grigson now is the OL coach as well as GM? LOL   :lol:

:thmup:  Nailed it there bruh.

How is the D'Qwell Jackson signing bad? He could have gotten more money from other teams of he wanted to but he chose not to, and his run play is not "horrible"

Highly doubt he was getting more money. That is a fallacy, especially for a guy who is probably on his last contract and yes his run support was that bad. 

D’Qwell Jackson (LB) to Colts: 4-year, $22m with $11m guaranteed

At his peak Jackson was one of the best inside linebackers in the game. His great instincts saw him flow to the ball and make plays. But age and injury have caught up to him to a degree, while playing in a 3-4 system has often times left him struggling to get off blockers at the second level. That is what makes this a negative move with Jackson accumulating a -20.9 run defense grade over the past two years. His saving grace? His work in coverage.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/03/11/2014-free-agency-deal-grader/

I'm starting to feel like Grigson is blowing this off-season again. The D'Qwell Jackson signing was pointless, and sounds like we overpaid. Karlos Dansby got 4 years 24 million (14 guaranteed) and we just gave Jackson a slightly cheaper deal. From everything I've read about him, his play against the run has been horrible the last 2 seasons, and that's what we need addressed more than a coverage linebacker. I understand that the way his contract is structured, he'll be easy to let go after a season or 2, but let's be realistic...Grigson isn't going cut him if his play is poor within the first 2 years. Toler's contract was the same way and he was a disappointment last year, yet he's still on the roster. Even if Jackson sucks next year, Grigson will keep him on board another season to give him another chance. 

Then there's the whole starting center situation that I feel like he's totally mishandling right now. His only move along the offensive line to this point is injury-proned, underwhelming Phil Costa. Yet, we keep hearing about him chasing a dream (and wasting time) talking with Alex Mack's camp ( he's not leaving Cleveland), and probably wasting money on Hakeem Nicks (another injury-proned player) at a position that doesn't really need an immediate upgrade. If he lets some of the other decent interior offensive lineman slip by because he's too busy swinging for the fences with Mack, i'm going to say he's blown this free agency period. Interior line is our greatest area of need, by far, and so far the only thing he's done to address it is cut Satele and replace him with a cheaper version of himself. 

To his credit, he did lock up Vontae (and didn't overpay to do so), and sign Arthur Jones. Those are his 2 best moves so far this off-season. I just hope he's talking to other centers besides Mack, because the odds of us getting him are slim

Toler wasnt cut cause it doesnt make sense whast the cap bennefit? he will get cut next offseason if he continues getting injured.

why release him now? at least have the body. seriously whats the bennefit, not a cap one...

because you dont agree with WR as a need doesnt mean otheres think like that. I believe its a need. why do people think a 35 WR coming from reconstructive knee surgery will be just like hwas before. its a good idea to plan for that not to happen. I like brazil and Rogers, but you are putting your whole jhope on 2 players who had 7 combined (NOTICED i said great...they obviusly had more catches, but when people remember them they remember 2 catches vs bengals, one vs cinci  and some im too lazy to type)

great catches.its good that you get a backup plan.

and more importantly we dont even know if Nicks ige tting signed...or contract details for we know it might be a 1 year 5.5 million dollar with 0 cap ramnifications.

Just looked at ESPN and gotta say this article sums it up pretty much.....

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/4615/a-look-at-colts-offensive-line-depth

The final paragraph pretty much nails it:

"I’m not sold that those will be the only three centers the Colts look at. It’s not in general manager Ryan Grigson’s blood to sit still and not look to make more moves. It likely won’t be Alex Mack, but don’t be surprised if there’s another center on the roster before the start of training camp."

In the madness that is the reaction to Costa, I thought I'd mention that no NFL team has signed any of the top available centers.  Raiola re-upped with Detroit for one year, $1.5m, and many had him ranked around the fourth best available.  32 teams, and none of the top available centers are signed yet.  I also think it is the only position that hasn't had at least two of the top three available signed or franchised.  Speaks volumes to me.  Like the rest of free agency, there is a reason these players are available, and perhaps Grigs looks at this list and simply doesn't see anything worth the money, years, etc.  Just because the Colts need a C doesn't mean there is one available that is the long term answer. 

Toler wasnt cut cause it doesnt make sense whast the cap bennefit? he will get cut next offseason if he continues getting injured.

why release him now? at least have the body. seriously whats the bennefit, not a cap one...

because you dont agree with WR as a need doesnt mean otheres think like that. I believe its a need. why do people think a 35 WR coming from reconstructive knee surgery will be just like hwas before. its a good idea to plan for that not to happen. I like brazil and Rogers, but you are putting your whole jhope on 2 players who had 7 combined (NOTICED i said great...they obviusly had more catches, but when people remember them they remember 2 catches vs bengals, one vs cinci and some im too lazy to type)

great catches.its good that you get a backup plan.

and more importantly we dont even know if Nicks ige tting signed...or contract details for we know it might be a 1 year 5.5 million dollar with 0 cap ramnifications.

Toler has a 4.8 mil cap hit this year. Cutting him now is very much a benefit to cap space. And your point about having an extra body is precisely my point. He can't even get on the field because he keeps getting nicked up. He's a liability as long as he misses more time than he plays.

And if you're worried about a 35 year old receiver coming off a serious injury, why would your solution be to acquire an injury-PRONED receiver coming off a serious injury himself? Makes no sense. Let our young receivers grow. There is plenty of potential there. We will never be a 3-4 receiver set offense anyways with Allen and Fleener here. Even without Reggie, I like our core of young receivers and their combined potential. Da'Rick and Lavon with another off-season under their belts could both develop into solid 2-3 receivers. In Da'rick's case, he has the physical tools to be a 1, easily. Bringing Nicks in will only stunt one (or both) of their growth.

There are more pressing needs than receiver. Wasting free agency money or a high draft pick on that position this year shows that we still don't "get it" You win games in the trenches. It always has been and it always will be that way

And while Costa may have been brought in as a backup, it seems a bit backwards to try to acquire depth for a position before you've actually even solidified a starter. Grigson seems to suffer from Polian's same affliction of shopping for o-line talent at the flea market

There's a whole lot of speculating going on here regarding the search for a center/interior OL.  I do'nt think there's any way for us to know that he's ignoring other potential centers going for Mack.  But I think teh fact that we signed Costa completely undermines that.  I'm sure they're in talks with other centers, but it may be that they are asking too much, they don't want to play here, or any other myriad of reasons why a player wouldn't sign a contract with Indy.  But even then, I think you can't say with a straight face that he's blown free agency if we don't sign another interior line free agent - for two reasons.  1) there's obviously the draft which we could find a quality starter that immediately contributes.  May be unlikely the longer we wait to draft one, but you never know.  2) I think your entire perspective on interior offensive linemen assumes that Thomas, Holmes, and Thorton won't improve between last year and this year.  We simply haven't seen enough of Holmes to know anything - though the coaches have and they may have faith in Holmes.  Thomas was solid when he was healthy.  And Thorton showed decent signs, but struggled some to - like most any other rookie would. 

Now if ther'es an obvious upgrade, yeah, I'm with you if the price is right.  But whether we do sign that obvious upgrade or not doesn't necessarily mean the free agency period was a failure.

He doesn't need to be Ray Lewis, he just needs to be better then Kelvin Sheppard for a year or two.

Just trying to bring perspective. I'm not bashing him, I loved Jackson for a long time, he is a really good guy. 

Someone on Twitter said Costa sucks at blocking and is better at blocking then snapping the ball. Could be sour grapes, or he could be bad, I ain't seen him play so I have no idea. What's the worst that could happen ? Luck is running for his life and another year of excuses for Richardson.

That someone was Angela Lansbury....turns out she is a huge Cowboys fan.

Toler has a 4.8 mil cap hit this year. Cutting him now is very much a benefit to cap space. And your point about having an extra body is precisely my point. He can't even get on the field because he keeps getting nicked up. He's a liability as long as he misses more time than he plays.

And if you're worried about a 35 year old receiver coming off a serious injury, why would your solution be to acquire an injury-PRONED receiver coming off a serious injury himself? Makes no sense. Let our young receivers grow. There is plenty of potential there. We will never be a 3-4 receiver set offense anyways with Allen and Fleener here. Even without Reggie, I like our core of young receivers and their combined potential. Da'Rick and Lavon with another off-season under their belts could both develop into solid 2-3 receivers. In Da'rick's case, he has the physical tools to be a 1, easily. Bringing Nicks in will only stunt one (or both) of their growth.

There are more pressing needs than receiver. Wasting free agency money or a high draft pick on that position this year shows that we still don't "get it" You win games in the trenches. It always has been and it always will be that way

And while Costa may have been brought in as a backup, it seems a bit backwards to try to acquire depth for a position before you've actually even solidified a starter. Grigson seems to suffer from Polian's same affliction of shopping for o-line talent at the flea market

yes but cutting Toler would mean dead cap space if im reading hi contract correctly...why have almsot same amount of dead cap space as to regular cap hit if the player was here?

wasting money on nicks? the dude, IF SIGNED, will be here on a short term deal, if he pans out is a great deal if he keeps getting injured he is out. Not wasted money IMO and certainly no cap hell which is the real important part.

what other needs would be filled with FA? i kinda like Clemons but is not like the dude is all pro. there arent many significant upgrades right now at FA. Nicks has the potential to be.

Seriously go to the available FA http://www.nfl.com/freeagency  --> the only one worth looking at is DRC, but do you seriously expect a team to have 20 millions tied to CB per year + another 8 to round up the secondary thats around 30 million for the secondary. I dont know of any team that has 2 cbs worth of 10 million each

Just trying to bring perspective. I'm not bashing him, I loved Jackson for a long time, he is a really good guy.

That's cool. Just sharing the Colts perspective, we add a leader and get a stopgap starter. We're not even expecting him to be our best ilb.

Just looked at ESPN and gotta say this article sums it up pretty much.....

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/4615/a-look-at-colts-offensive-line-depth

The final paragraph pretty much nails it:

"I’m not sold that those will be the only three centers the Colts look at. It’s not in general manager Ryan Grigson’s blood to sit still and not look to make more moves. It likely won’t be Alex Mack, but don’t be surprised if there’s another center on the roster before the start of training camp."

I think many voacl folks are fearful Grigson won't be able to pull off a deal for any other starter quality center and will have botched addressing the biggest need on our team going into FA. And he had headroom in the cap to pull something off.  Mack has always been low probability, but others could still happen. Most of us not commenting on the huge hole we still have at center are knowing that options are still out there to get a quality upgrade at a very important position. Wait and see attitude.

But later, it nothing does come about, then Grigson will likely end up with some egg on his face when Holmes or Costa have to call out assignments and/or protections and block superior D lineman, and better options were there for him.

yes but cutting Toler would mean dead cap space if im reading hi contract correctly...why have almsot same amount of dead cap space as to regular cap hit if the player was here?

wasting money on nicks? the dude, IF SIGNED, will be here on a short term deal, if he pans out is a great deal if he keeps getting injured he is out. Not wasted money IMO and certainly no cap hell which is the real important part.

what other needs would be filled with FA? i kinda like Clemons but is not like the dude is all pro. there arent many significant upgrades right now at FA. Nicks has the potential to be.

Seriously go to the available FA http://www.nfl.com/freeagency  --> the only one worth looking at is DRC, but do you seriously expect a team to have 20 millions tied to CB per year + another 8 to round up the secondary thats around 30 million for the secondary. I dont know of any team that has 2 cbs worth of 10 million each

So the plan is to keep swinging on damaged goods receivers every off-season until we finally land Reggie's replacement? If Nicks doesn't pan out, we dump him and then flirt with the next washed up receiver next off-season?  I feel like the time and effort spent in finding "gems" in supposed areas of need could be spent finding solid, lower risk players in other more pressing areas (o-line in particular) Why can't we just develop our young talent at receiver?  I feel the young talent at receiver has more potential than our young talent on the offensive line, and I'd rather gamble on the receiving core rather than cross my fingers and hope our young players on the line are ready to step up and protect Luck. If they aren't, they put the entire franchise in jeopardy. That's not the case at receiver 

So the plan is to keep swinging on damaged goods receivers every off-season until we finally land Reggie's replacement? If Nicks doesn't pan out, we dumb him and then flirt with the next washed up receiver next off-season?  I feel like the time and effort spent in finding "gems" in supposed areas of need could be spent finding solid, lower risk players in other more pressing areas (o-line in particular) Why can't we just develop our young talent at receiver?  I feel the young talent at receiver has more potential than our young talent on the offensive line, and I'd rather gamble on the receiving core rather than cross my fingers and hope our young players on the line are ready to step up and protect Luck. If they aren't, they put the entire franchise in jeopardy. That's not the case at receiver 

I don't think that anyone is against getting better players on the O-line. But who's available? Mack? (Wants way too much for a center).

Who else? It's easy to say let's build the O-line. The problem is that this year's Free Agent pool is soft for O-linemen.

And we have enough cap space for Nicks and additional O-linemen. So we could still go after them if we wanted.

So the plan is to keep swinging on damaged goods receivers every off-season until we finally land Reggie's replacement? If Nicks doesn't pan out, we dump him and then flirt with the next washed up receiver next off-season?  I feel like the time and effort spent in finding "gems" in supposed areas of need could be spent finding solid, lower risk players in other more pressing areas (o-line in particular) Why can't we just develop our young talent at receiver?  I feel the young talent at receiver has more potential than our young talent on the offensive line, and I'd rather gamble on the receiving core rather than cross my fingers and hope our young players on the line are ready to step up and protect Luck. If they aren't, they put the entire franchise in jeopardy. That's not the case at receiver 

my point is not keep hoping to land a WR. i agree, my hope is eitehr Nicks pans out or next year a #1 WR with our First rounder.

My point is look at the FA, who the heck you want? Maybe EDS but that dude is long gone.

Also, as something ij ust read. the structure of Davis is brilliant. is a 6.25 million cap figure THIS year. thats plenty of cap for Mack, just food for thought.

I don't think that anyone is against getting better players on the O-line. But who's available? Mack? (Wants way too much for a center).

Who else? It's easy to say let's build the O-line. The problem is that this year's Free Agent pool is soft for O-linemen.

And we have enough cap space for Nicks and additional O-linemen. So we could still go after them if we wanted.

There was O-line talent out there early in free agency, but just like last year, we ignored it and now we're trying to find value in a limited pool of talent. Jon Asamoah would've been a great signing. In fact, the Falcons pretty much did exactly what we should've done in free agency (Asamoah, Solia, Jackson), and with less cap space. It's a joke that this organization preaches "run the ball, stop the run" all year long, but when it's time to put their money where their mouths are, they always get distracted by the shiny toys and try to get bargains on what should be considered the foundation (the O and D lines) 

Well it sounds like he's better than what we had but still not great.  Based on the money I think this could be a safety move the Colts made in case they don't get Mack and in a perfect world they might view him as a back up guy on the line.  After losing guys like McGlynn, Statele, and Link the Colts not only need better starters on the o-line in spots they need some bench guys.  If they don't get Mack you now have a guy with starting experience and would still be an upgrade over what they had.