Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign center Phil Costa [Merge]

coltsguy510

It's very simple. Just analyze the words in Grigson's statements after the signing of Costa.

Then compare what he said after signing Costa to the statements  he made after signing guys like LaRon Landry, Gosder Cherilus etc

There's a distinct difference. Nothing in Grigson's words about Costa is indicative of him being a starter. That's not the case with the other players who ended up started.

It's like people ITT have never analyzed text or subtext. All these overreactions and assumptions.

You can analyse subtext all you want. Unless Grigson explicitly states "Phil Costa is not the starter" then you're still just imposing your own subjectivity upon his words.

Correct me if I'm wrong but he didn't say that did he?

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im still holding out hope on Evan Deitrich Smith

Now that would make me happy.  I like the idea of a backup that can play multiple positions, which would greatly improve my opinion of this move.  Going into the season with just holmes and costa would make me a very sad panda.

You can analyse subtext all you want. Unless Grigson explicitly states "Phil Costa is not the starter" then you're still just imposing your own subjectivity upon his words.

Did he say that Costa IS the starter? Aren't you "imposing your own subjectivity" yourself?

When will people board the Fire Grigson train?

Maybe you should consult those who started the train that got Marty Schottenheimer fired from the Chargers after a 14-2 season.....that sure worked out well for them.

I honestly don't know what some of you people expect. If you had your way this franchise would be run into the ground and on a plane to LA. You whiners all just like saying things cuz you like the smell of your own farts.

Most of you guys never seen him play and don't know what skills he has. It doesn't matter what we do with the center position. If we sign Mack, half the forum will complain that we payed too much and Holmes is worthless. If there's a competition between Holmes and Costa, half the forum will overreact and say that we will automatically have a terrible line again. 

PHIL COSTA???

Im a fan that majors and minors in Colts football and I'm sorry but the name Phil Costas being signed on day 3 of free agency is a big deal. Ok, he could be the man in 6 months, but today I don't understand why we're signing backups (AT A POSITION OF NEED) on day 3.

I have to treat this guy right now as the potential starter, right? Or why are we even worried about him now. Grigs being an ex-OL is going to make him think he can "make" a star, watch.

The only thing I can really reach for is somehow this plays into the A Mack negotiations, but how, i don't know.

Way to contradict yourself   "Grigson was a lineman...I'm sure he knows how to evaluate talent a lot more than any of us..."   Then you mention Satele...whom GRIGSON signed...he also signed McGlynn... so far, on his O-line signings, I'm just a TAD bit less than impressed, to say the least lol

Grigsons O-Line record here is Stinkaroo. Remember he kept Olson on his 53 man roster year one. That guy was Clearly worse than McGlynn. But all in the past now. There is NO going backwards from where we were.

The line isn`t likely to be where we Want it this season. Of course part of Roster building is success with the draft and it takes time.

Thornton was not ready last season and Holmes had to get healthy, beef up, and wait out this regimes 1st FA signing.

Nixon showed well when he got a chance, Reitz has talent when healthy, Austin may be better than we know.

And we have the draft. Maybe a Mack Miracle!!  We are getting there.

Would expect this guy got a Small signing bonus and would have to make the final roster to guarantee his $$$.

Did he say that Costa IS the starter? Aren't you "imposing your own subjectivity" yourself?

Not at all.

Nowhere have I implied that Costa will start, nor that the signing is a bad one. I think he probably has been brought in for depth and I'm fine with that.

I'm merely suggesting that trying to combat one extreme argument, like "Costa is definitely the starter and that's bad", with the opposite extreme, like "Costa is definitely not the starter and that's good", isn't the most productive thing to be doing when you don't know the facts.

If your opinion is that he won't start then, by all means, go ahead and express that. But don't pretend like you somehow have inside information and anyone who disagrees with you doesn't know what they're talking about.

Not really. For a number of reasons Grigson doesn't say "He's not brought in as a starter" or "He's brought in as a starter", but you can still get a clear idea of the intentions by analyzing the statements.There's a clear difference in the statements after signing the players who went on to start right away compared to this statement. Based on these differences and the pattern it shows, my interpretation (i.e. he isn't being brought in as a starter) or subjectivity is more likely to be true than the one you have. Everything doesn't have to be explicit for one to understand what's happening here. 

Maybe the reason he wasnt very good last year with the Cowboys is because he was out of position. Perhaps we try him at RG/back up C...He would be a Mike MaGlynn...

and how did that work out for us the last two years?  Oh I know Luck being Hit way too much..  and we couldn't open up wholes for the RB's

for all of the people wanting the Colts to get EDS or BDLP   found off NFL.com... doesn't look promising we haven't even contacted either of them yet.

BRIANDE LA PUENTESTATUSUFA
INTERESTED TEAMS:It's telling that the Saints didn't go nuts to re-sign him.
EVANDIETRICH-SMITHSTATUSUFA
INTERESTED TEAMS:GB, NYG, TBDietrich-Smith is set to visit the Buccaneers, Michelle Beisner reported. The team later confirmed the visit.

Not really. For a number of reasons Grigson doesn't say "He's not brought in as a starter" or "He's brought in as a starter", but you can still get a clear idea of the intentions by analyzing the statements.There's a clear difference in the statements after signing the players who went on to start right away compared to this statement. Based on these differences and the pattern it shows, my interpretation (i.e. he isn't being brought in as a starter) or subjectivity is more likely to be true than the one you have. Everything doesn't have to be explicit for one to understand what's happening here. 

I'm not sure why you think I have the opposite opinion to you. I too think that he has probably been brought in for depth rather than to start.

What I have an issue with is a minority of posters, you included, suggesting that their opinion is somehow factual. 

Absolutely you can interpret certain things from a person's words, but your interpretation will remain merely an interpretation, and will be subjective.

i wouldnt mind this so much as long as it would allow us to go and get some other pieces, nix and clemons

I would like Clemons..but according to nfl.com we haven't contacted him

CHRISCLEMONSSTATUSUFA
INTERESTED TEAMS:

A durable, league-average starter, Clemons has been unable to land a long-term deal from the Dolphins or any other team. Read related content

Oh man, this seems like kind of expensive depth for someone who got beat out by a rookie last year. I hope Grigson wasn't wearing his Satele glasses when he watched tape on Costa.

Not really; if he was signed as a depth C/G its about half of what McGlynn was making in the same role.

^^^ Agree!!!

So he said Everybody said Anybody would be better. haha! Of course Nobody actually would believe that to be true so why not use some commom sense and make a real point.

If he had been at all Getting the Center speak on this board he would KNOW there has been a Massive amount of posts about paying Good $$$ for one of the Better mid-tier FA centers. This guy got CHUMP Change for a reason. 

Its sooo funny reading everyone's posts and how everyone is so happy when we sign a big name or a player they like, but now we sighn a player who hasn't really proven himself yet and has been injured and all of the sudden most everyone has their pannies in a bunch. I think Grigs knows what he's doing. We do need to be smart regarding our future. Next year we have a couple rather large contracts were probably gonna have to fork out. I'd love Mack too but if its gonna Jepradize us financially in the future and potentially cost us multiple other key players on our team at multiple other key positions just to get a stud at one key position, then I don't know that's the best option at this point. We gotta be looking down the road 3-5 years, not just next year. I just think Mack is gonna require too much $$$. Most likely upwards of 10 mil a year and he's probably gonna want a 4 year deal at the minimal. And I wouldn't doubt Cleveland matches anyways unless we get crazy and start throwing some crazy numbers out there which I highly doubt Grigs will do. I'm just trusting Grigs on this!!!

hope we at least contact BDLP i would like him as the starter with costa as his back up but seems like we're still crazy for mack just hope all 3 options go to other teams and we're left with only costa and holmes i wouldnt freak out but id be a little worried lets give him a call grigs!

yeah, let's judge a player on one play. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibg3vKJEgnw

Peyton Sucks!

Judging a player by one play or one season is ridiculous. I'm optimistic about Costa. The Cowboys haven't been the model of consistency. I'm not saying Costa will be a world beater, but he might have just needed a change of scenary. I'm willing to give the guy a shot.

Not at all.

Nowhere have I implied that Costa will start, nor that the signing is a bad one. I think he probably has been brought in for depth and I'm fine with that.

I'm merely suggesting that trying to combat one extreme argument, like "Costa is definitely the starter and that's bad", with the opposite extreme, like "Costa is definitely not the starter and that's good", isn't the most productive thing to be doing when you don't know the facts.

If your opinion is that he won't start then, by all means, go ahead and express that. But don't pretend like you somehow have inside information and anyone who disagrees with you doesn't know what they're talking about.

That's fair enough.

However, I think Grigson would have said something other than "he's competition" if the plan was to plug him in as the starter. To be honest, I read Grigson's comments to mean that Holmes would be penciled in as the starter, not Costa. But I don't know anything either, and I'm inferring where Grigson might or might not have been implying.

It's still early. We'll see what happens. I don't think Costa is the answer, but I'm more than willing to be patient. I'll probably develop a nervous twitch as EDS and BdlP sign elsewhere, but that's not anyone else's problem...

That's fair enough.

However, I think Grigson would have said something other than "he's competition" if the plan was to plug him in as the starter. To be honest, I read Grigson's comments to mean that Holmes would be penciled in as the starter, not Costa. But I don't know anything either, and I'm inferring where Grigson might or might not have been implying.

It's still early. We'll see what happens. I don't think Costa is the answer, but I'm more than willing to be patient. I'll probably develop a nervous twitch as EDS and BdlP sign elsewhere, but that's not anyone else's problem...

That's how I read them too. And it makes perfect sense to read his comments in that way. It doesn't provide the grounds to insult someone else's intelligence if they happen to interpret something else from the same words, however. That's what it seemed like one or two posters were doing.

I'm still hopeful that we'll sign another center but I'm not convinced that we will. Like you said, it's still early and we'll have to see. I'm not thoroughly excited by the prospect of either Costa or Holmes starting but if Grigson deems one of them fit then I'll concede to his better judgement. 

As an additional note, it's promising that it took this long for the forum to implode. I guess that means we have a couple of real keepers in Jones and Jackson!  :jump: