Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign center Phil Costa [Merge]

coltsguy510

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But I think what some of you have to wrap your brains around is the Costa was not a big signee.  He is not a guy brought in to be a sure starter.  He is a depth player.  We lost McGlynn, who can play center and guard.  We lost Linkenbeast.  We cut Satele who couldn't play at all.  Costa does now what McGlynn did., but better.  He is not the savior to the OLine. I think we will see at least one more signing on the line.  Remember, Costa may just play guard.

why are you dissing on the signing? Grigson was a lineman, I am sure he knows how to evaluate talent alot more then any of us... Don't sign players for a name, but rather for how they play. I support the signing he really can't be worst then Satelle

That's a contradiction isn't it, since Grigson was the one who signed Satele?

How can you possibly say that with any certainty?

People are getting their knickers in a twist prematurely but you know as little as them right now.

It's very simple. Just analyze the words in Grigson's statements after the signing of Costa.

Then compare what he said after signing Costa to the statements  he made after signing guys like LaRon Landry, Gosder Cherilus etc

There's a distinct difference. Nothing in Grigson's words about Costa is indicative of him being a starter. That's not the case with the other players who ended up started.

It's like people ITT have never analyzed text or subtext. All these overreactions and assumptions.

the bad thing is...I wish he was! He would be the best "center" on our team right now, if he were still here...that tells you just how bad our line options are right now lol

Thats kinda what I was thinking actually at Center, But Im still holding out hope for Evan Dietrich Smith, Bryan Stork would also be good in the draft so I still got hope

It's very simple. Just analyze the words in Grigson's statements.

Compare what he said when signing Costa to the statements made after signing guys like LaRon Landry, Gosder Cherilus etc

There's a distinct differencel. Nothing in Grigson's words about Costa is indicative of him being a starter. That's not the case with the other players who ended up started.

It's like people ITT have never analyzed text and subtext. All these overreactions and assumptions.

That and the contract. We brought satele in for like 4-5 mill a year

why are you dissing on the signing? Grigson was a lineman, I am sure he knows how to evaluate talent alot more then any of us... Don't sign players for a name, but rather for how they play. I support the signing he really can't be worst then Satelle

Way to contradict yourself   "Grigson was a lineman...I'm sure he knows how to evaluate talent a lot more than any of us..."   Then you mention Satele...whom GRIGSON signed...he also signed McGlynn... so far, on his O-line signings, I'm just a TAD bit less than impressed, to say the least lol

The only crybaby I can see here is you! Who is more stupid the people who "cry" or the man who cries because of them?

If you say so! When you've been beat resort to"I know ya are, but what am I" 6 yr. old argument. What some here are doing are not opinions, its just stupidity!

But I think what some of you have to wrap your brains around is the Costa was not a big signee.  He is not a guy brought in to be a sure starter.  He is a depth player.  We lost McGlynn, who can play center and guard.  We lost Linkenbeast.  We cut Satele who couldn't play at all.  Costa does now what McGlynn did., but better.  He is not the savior to the OLine. I think we will see at least one more signing on the line.  Remember, Costa may just play guard.

That is what people are hoping for but will be concerned until proven he's not the starter. They don't even want him as a stop gap/1 year starter. The concern is not that unfounded, the middle of the Oline was the weakest link of the team and it persisted for 2 years.

That's a contradiction isn't it, since Grigson was the one who signed Satele?

Well not really, because if he is worse than Satele, it's not going to be $3 million dollars net worse.  With as much as Satele was making, Costa could curl up in the fetal position and his production would still make more fiscal sense than what Satele was giving.

Maybe for depth as he can play C and G

Yes, just like McGoober. Listed at 302 and had Trouble with big power guys. Good to sign a Vet early though.

Give him as much time as possible to get here and get adjusted and start the learning curve. Plan A can always get injured we know.

Well not really, because if he is worse than Satele, it's not going to be $3 million dollars net worse.  With as much as Satele was making, Costa could curl up in the fetal position and his production would still make more fiscal sense than what Satele was giving.

The Contradiction was that -- Grigson was a lineman and therefor knows how to evaluate linemen. And then in the next sentence, state how bad Satele was, who was brought in by Grigson.

I understand the difference in contract and agree that this is a better contract for the Colts.

Its amazing to me that no matter what the Colts do, people here will always find something to whine and cry about. Last week we got rid is Satele, everybody's happy and said any center would be an upgrade. The Colts sign a center and all of a sudden he's worse than Satele. People here are ridiculous and I think some just may be down right stupid.

^^^ Agree!!!

If you say so! When you've been beat resort to"I know ya are, but what am I" 6 yr. old argument. What some here are doing are not opinions, its just stupidity!

Oh. right. Are you a member of the argument police so that you can judge what is a real argument, opinion and what is stupidity? Because the truth is you are acting like a 6 year old. But oviously you are lacking self reflection...

I don't know. The fact that we didn't pay that much to not address the center position isn't much of a consolation to me.

We'll see I suppose. I hope I'm wrong, this just isn't the direction I was hoping we went.

Can't be worse than Satele.

But seriously, he's not THAT bad.  I think that him and Thomas replacing Satele and McGlynn would at least be adequate if we can't find a better solution.  Ideally, obviously, it'll be Holmes, but that's still up in the air.

Need veterans to fill out the roster. Not being payed much, can provide depth at center and guard. This could be simply insurance as they anticipate very lengthy talks with Mack and didn't want the roster completely devoid of center depth. Who knows if they do sign Mack, maybe they'll cut Holmes altogether and Costa will be the primary back up. If they don't sign Mack, I anticipate a three way battle between Costa, Holmes, and a draft pick. Grigson said he provided competition, so he is nicely saying "this is not the guy we want to have snapping to #12 long term".

Hey, let's face it, with Link signed out from under us in a sly move by KC, we needed someone around here with broad enough shoulders to be the forum whippin' boy.  Enter Phil Costa.

Phil and Holmes in a wrestle-off.....Xavier Nixon....lying in wait for forum 'fun.'  We do have some linemen who can play different positions.  I do like that!

I don't know. The fact that we didn't pay that much to not address the center position isn't much of a consolation to me.

We'll see I suppose. I hope I'm wrong, this just isn't the direction I was hoping we went.

Im still holding out hope on Evan Deitrich Smith

Oh. right. Are you a member of the argument police so that you can judge what is a real argument, opinion and what is stupidity? Because the truth is you are acting like a 6 year old. But oviously you are lacking self reflection...

Good God son, you can't be serious. I understand your need for wanting to make somebody else look bad because so many of you are acting like fools over our GM signing a depth player. When it gets a lot closer to the season and it's still Costa and Hughes fighting for the center spot, then people might have a reason to worry and throw a fit, but right now it's just dumb and no matter how many times you try to turn it around on me, it's just gonna make you look worse.

The Contradiction was that -- Grigson was a lineman and therefor knows how to evaluate linemen. And then in the next sentence, state how bad Satele was, who was brought in by Grigson.

I understand the difference in contract and agree that this is a better contract for the Colts.

Gotcha.  We'll see where it goes.  I don't think he's all that bad.  Cherilus was a good sign.  Sometimes you hit, sometimes you don't.  But there's no denying that he couldn't have been more wrong with Satele.

When will people board the Fire Grigson train?

I think it is a critical offseason for Grigson. If he can't improve the Offensive Line again this year who knows if not Jim Irsay boards the train himself!!! Our Offense stands and falls with our Offensive Line. If we can't protect Luck our passing game will suffer and probably Luck sooner or later will be injured. We gave up a first round pick for Richardson last year and if we are again struggling to run the ball... well... that wouldn't be to good. So I think Offensive Line is very critical this year for us and Grigson. What we need is a Center that is a sure thing... 

Need veterans to fill out the roster. Not being payed much, can provide depth at center and guard. This could be simply insurance as they anticipate very lengthy talks with Mack and didn't want the roster completely devoid of center depth. Who knows if they do sign Mack, maybe they'll cut Holmes altogether and Costa will be the primary back up. If they don't sign Mack, I anticipate a three way battle between Costa, Holmes, and a draft pick. Grigson said he provided competition, so he is nicely saying "this is not the guy we want to have snapping to #12 long term".

You get outta here with that common sense and what not? Don't ya know it's time to panic and throw a hissy fit for signing a depth player?

He is a depth signing nothing more. Basically a plan B if say we can't land someone better, draft someone better, or Holmes doesn't develope. If he is starting that means something didn't work out...but it doesn't mean we didn't try to find a better player. Nothing wrong with having a fall back guy...last place you want to be is going into training camp with just a second yr guy at center. He is the fall back guy...aka...worse case scenerio...and lets be honest...that is probably still better than what we had last year. If Grigs can't bring in better talent or find someone in the draft he can be servicable. I don't think this is THE answer...just AN answer if all else fails. Best to grab someone up incase all the chairs are taken later on if we fail to land our target. If anything this should give people some ease...we have a backup plan now...but some people are freaking thinking this is our answer.

Easy now.  I act like a five year old.   OH...to be a kid again!  By the way...I like acting like a five year old :)  Sometimes....Cue the GIF...

Read+the+description.+So+appareantly+thi