Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign center Phil Costa [Merge]

coltsguy510

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Per Mike Chappell: GM Ryan Grigson on C Phil Costa: "Phil is a young, hard-nosed and physical center who has shown he can play at a winning level in our league. He will provide strong competition at the center position.”

keyword here:  competition.....does that mean something?

You guys need to realize, good Olinemen usually take a good three years to get it together. If Costa graded out poorly two years ago, he was young. He would have been 24 at the time. Maybe in the time since then he has gotten better. It is encouraging that he improved quite a bit as the year went on. His signing might not actually be the end of the world.

You guys need to realize, good Olinemen usually take a good three years to get it together. If Costa graded out poorly two years ago, he was young. He would have been 24 at the time. Maybe in the time since then he has gotten better. It is encouraging that he improved quite a bit as the year went on. His signing might not actually be the end of the world.

Yeah big and strong is already an upgrade over bobble head

Not my favorite signing. It's possible that Costa could be a solid stopgap for us, but I'd rather have grabbed EDS for whatever money he winds up getting. I'm sure the numbers will be fine, but I'm more concerned with solving the center position. We'll see what happens from here...

Ya the last time I saw him he sucked I don't think worst than Samson but still sucked.

your expectations for o-line play musnt be very high. 

Yeah, let's blow all the money on Mack and not being able to re-sign Castonzo, Freeman, Luck, Hilton and Allen in the future. Let's not be able to sign anyone else this FA.

It's called being smart with your money. We have plenty of other needs now and in the future, and Grigson knows it.

0.jpg

Well...I don't like to classify anyone before playing a single snap....but I guess we could resign Satele...just the same. He hasn't seen much action.

My take on it:

• He's for depth
  • He's here to tutor Holmes
  • He's 'Plan B', b/c we couldn't sign Mack, and we have room to ink Nicks or more likely a S.
  • Mack would have been too expansive, and still Browns could match that offer...so they didn't take the risk.
  • Grigs was afraid of our O-line being far too good.

Is that Grigs mulling his decision?  :)

grigson_250_WP.jpg

This is part of the the email I received.  Not a fan of this signing as most know.  He is a center...last seen as the 6th worst rated.  As bad as Satele had been, I always say "Be careful what you with for."

Grigson:  “Phil is a young, hard-nosed and physical center who has shown he can play at a winning level in our league,” said General Manager Ryan Grigson. “He will provide strong competition at the center position.”(From Colts blog..breaking news)

Competition is good....a good center would have  been better.  Welcome to Indy Phil...I hope you did not Costa lotta money.

The bold sentence skipped my attention. He's likely backup.