Report: Hakeem Nicks flying to visit Colts tomorrow

Dustin

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't matter who we sign at WR, TE, RB, FB, or QB

Until that front 5 is solidified, we'll never be "good to go"

I agree and I don't understand why everybody wants to blow the money we need to upgrade the O-line on an injury prone WR with questionable desire. People will be griping and moaning about the bad O-line, when they're the doofus' that want to blow the money on a position we don't need.

I agree and I don't understand why everybody wants to blow the money we need to upgrade the O-line on an injury prone WR with questionable desire. People will be griping and moaning about the bad O-line, when they're the doofus' that want to blow the money on a position we don't need.

I'll join you and make it a 3 musketeers!

This isn't a situation where it has to be one or the other.

There's enough money for both.  

We know we have enough for any center but Mack -- and that's still a question mark.

So,  we can sign Nicks today....   and sign another center next week or any other time.     We don't have to chose between one and the other.    That's a false argument.

We know we have enough for any center but Mack -- and that's still a question mark.

So,  we can sign Nicks today....   and sign another center next week or any other time.     We don't have to chose between one and the other.    That's a false argument.

I don't think it's a false argument at all. Nicks has already turned down a 4.5 mil. dollar offer, which means he's looking for pretty good money and quite frankly doesn't deserve it. We still need a good upgrade at center and no, it don't have to be Mack but still a decent upgrade. We still need a FS, and even though there isn't a really good one left on the market, there are still guys available that would be much more helpful than Nicks. We still need more O-line depth and even though that won't be real expensive the money will go quick. We have to leave money for draftee's and for emergencies during the season. With our injury history, it's a never ending process of having to sign guy's and money needs to be there to do it. IMO there are just other priorities that need to be met before we mess around with any luxury signings. Like I said too, the very same people that will inevitably be throwing a fit over bad O-line play, are going to be the exact same one's clamoring for us to sign Nicks and/or any other WR that hits the market. Let's face it, and you've been around long enough to know now, that Colts fans are obsessed with the WR position, there is never enough for them and we could always use more according to most of our fans.

I agree, but I think some want throw 5-8 mil to Nicks for him to come here, which would just about do us

for FA, if i have the numbers about right?

This is just an opinion, only an opinion. I am not advocating one way or another about Nicks, or any other need. I just want to make a point, that I don't believe has been mentioned.

If Reggie can come back healthy, even at 90 percent of Reggie, and the Colts pick up Nicks..It basically would be those three at WR. Now, think about the Giants, who had a corps of Nicks, Cruz, and Manningham. They were always a dangerous trio, and all saw action, and were productive. And they won games. Eli was a good QB at the time, and the Giants lit it up, albeit with a good running game as well.

Now, look at the Colts...Reggie is far better than Manningham....TY and Cruz basically have the same skill set, and both have Nicks. And notice, Nicks went to Carolina and the Colts..WHY?? Because he wants another ring. He is the big WR everyone on the boards has been asking for, and please don't bring up Da'Rick..he's got a LONG way to go if he will, or ever, become a top receiver. Having Nicks healthy and wanting to play,along with Reggie, who wants to prove to the world that he can come back again from a serious injury, and with TY getting better and better, the Colts would have one of, if not the best corps of receivers in the game today. (not to mention 2 very good TE's as well)

Sure, we need more help in the O-Line,. but what team truly has a superstar offensive line at all positions? Its a crap shoot on the O-Line, with a few exceptions. No one ever heard of Jeff Saturday before he came here, and look how he turned out. Sometimes, the person whom you least expect, turns out to be a superstar..(*aka Jerrell Freeman)

Basically, if we sign Nicks, or go sign other positions, it doesn't matter to me..I trust the front office to make the right calls, that will benefit the team both now, and in the long run.

After asking Kevin Bowen(during the chat today) what he thinks the plan is in regards to Center he seems pretty convinced that we are going all in on Mack (and that it will take a while and have not shown any interest in any other Center and that Costa and Holmes will fight it out for the starting role if we dont sign Mack, In other words if Kevin is right we are doing exactly what we should not be doing...Thats still seems like an if BUT he did seem pretty convinced thats the plan

Mike Chappell ‏@mchappell51 6m

#colts invested heavily in CB Vontae Davis (4 yrs, $39 mill, $20 mill gtd), but he'll count 'just' $6.25 mill against '14 cap.

I had heard that he was going to count 9mil against the cap. If that's the case would that leave enough to sign Nicks and Mack?

The $9 million figure was being reported by Brad Wells, who basically took the total value of the contract and divided by the number of years. However, it never works that way.

Mike Chappell ‏@mchappell51 6m

#colts invested heavily in CB Vontae Davis (4 yrs, $39 mill, $20 mill gtd), but he'll count 'just' $6.25 mill against '14 cap.

I had heard that he was going to count 9mil against the cap. If that's the case would that leave enough to sign Nicks and Mack?

Isn't 9 mil or 9.75 just the avg yearly salary?

I think I read somewhere his cap hit will be higher next year, and then lower again the year after (the season we have to re-sign Luck, Hilton, Allen etc).

Isn't 9 mil or 9.75 just the avg yearly salary?

I think I read somewhere his cap hit will be higher next year, and then lower again the year after (the season we have to re-sign Luck, Hilton, Allen etc).

yes, That dont mean he will be counting that much against the cap each year, He wont

The $4.5 million deal that Nicks turned down was supposedly a multi-year deal that was heavily front-loaded.  I was under the impression that Nicks turned it down NOT because of the $4.5 million this year, but because of the lower figures in the later years.  It still might not cost us the $5-8 million I am seeing thrown around.  We can still sign this guy to a modest one-year, prove-it deal; and not ruin our cap for this year or future years.

That being said, WR still might not be an area of need...

Picking up Nicks will be a nice addition.  I have noticed since Grigson came in, when a player visits the Colts, it seems they always sign eventually.  So that is a good sign.

So after we add Nicks, I hope we can get one or two more lineman and a safety.  Young veterans.

I don't think it's a false argument at all. Nicks has already turned down a 4.5 mil. dollar offer, which means he's looking for pretty good money and quite frankly doesn't deserve it. We still need a good upgrade at center and no, it don't have to be Mack but still a decent upgrade. We still need a FS, and even though there isn't a really good one left on the market, there are still guys available that would be much more helpful than Nicks. We still need more O-line depth and even though that won't be real expensive the money will go quick. We have to leave money for draftee's and for emergencies during the season. With our injury history, it's a never ending process of having to sign guy's and money needs to be there to do it. IMO there are just other priorities that need to be met before we mess around with any luxury signings. Like I said too, the very same people that will inevitably be throwing a fit over bad O-line play, are going to be the exact same one's clamoring for us to sign Nicks and/or any other WR that hits the market. Let's face it, and you've been around long enough to know now, that Colts fans are obsessed with the WR position, there is never enough for them and we could always use more according to most of our fans.

I appreciate the arguments....   but I think Grigson understands everything you and I are talking about.

If he think he can sign Nicks and another veteran center and have money left over for whatever...  then I'm not going to tell him otherwise.    I'm confident there's another center coming,  I just don't know who it is? 

As for Nicks and turning down $4.5....    he may say yes to $5.5?    I don't know what the number is,  but I'm confident Grigs will say no if the number is too high,  just as he did a year ago to DHB when his number was too high.

I know we need a new Safety.   I'm not sure how that gets resolved?   Will Grigson draft someone and make that person the front-runner?     I don't know?  

But at this point, with so many things so fluid,  I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.   As I'm doing with Costa not being the solution at Center.     That just can't happen......

Picking Nicks up is a Blockbuster move IMO. Dude is young enough to grow with our already talented core. He is experienced, and has shown to be a clutch player in big time situations.

All I can ask of Grigs is please, don't low-ball this man. Pay him a fair amount because I'm sure that with this group, adding Nicks would be an A+ move.

I appreciate the arguments....   but I think Grigson understands everything you and I are talking about.

If he think he can sign Nicks and another veteran center and have money left over for whatever...  then I'm not going to tell him otherwise.    I'm confident there's another center coming,  I just don't know who it is? 

As for Nicks and turning down $4.5....    he may say yes to $5.5?    I don't know what the number is,  but I'm confident Grigs will say no if the number is too high,  just as he did a year ago to DHB when his number was too high.

I know we need a new Safety.   I'm not sure how that gets resolved?   Will Grigson draft someone and make that person the front-runner?     I don't know?  

But at this point, with so many things so fluid,  I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.   As I'm doing with Costa not being the solution at Center.     That just can't happen......

I trust Grigson to do the right thing too and I'm just trying to get some here to realize that WR isn't a priorty and nobody should be making an argument to sign Nicks for 6-8 mil a yr.(like I've already seen from several posters). IMO Nicks don't deserve a dime over 3.5 mil. but my opinion don't mean anything to Grigson. People should also prepare theirselves for the good possibility that Nicks leaves here today without a contract. The are contradictory reports, but I've heard Carolina is prepared to go all in on Nicks considering they absolutely nobody to catch the ball now that they released smith. Getting into a bidding war for the likes of Nicks would be flat out stupid, and I don't think Grigson will but I think some fans would want us too.

The clamoring for more depth on the O-line is likely quite overstated.  Other than taking the long shot on Mack, we're pretty much done on the O-line.  We might sign a vet G/T or we might go to the draft and see how it falls, but 8 of our 9 spots are likely filled already with Reitz, Nixon, and Costa/Holmes as backups. The number of guys you can sign in the secondary market that are more desirable is a short list. Lance Louis is probably more desirable vet depth than most of the market right now, so we may very well have our 9 today.  Whatever else we do in FA is not a luxury that would interfere with our O-line progress.  It may interfere with what you would like to see done, but it won't interfere with whatever was going to be done anyway.  

The clamoring for more depth on the O-line is likely quite overstated.  Other than taking the long shot on Mack, we're pretty much done on the O-line.  We might sign a vet G/T or we might go to the draft and see how it falls, but 8 of our 9 spots are likely filled already with Reitz, Nixon, and Costa/Holmes as backups. The number of guys you can sign in the secondary market that are more desirable is a short list. Lance Louis is probably more desirable vet depth than most of the market right now, so we may very well have our 9 today.  Whatever else we do in FA is not a luxury that would interfere with our O-line progress.  It may interfere with what you would like to see done, but it won't interfere with whatever was going to be done anyway.  

If we stay with our current guys we have for the O-line right, I will guarantee that it will be another long yr. for Luck running for his life and Trent Richardson getting stopped behind the line of scrimmage. Costa may be a little upgrade from Satele and if Thomas is healthy that'll help, but our O-line was beyond putrid and needs much more than a little tweak here and there for it to become even somewhat respectable.

If we stay with our current guys we have for the O-line right, I will guarantee that it will be another long yr. for Luck running for his life and Trent Richardson getting stopped behind the line of scrimmage. Costa may be a little upgrade from Satele and if Thomas is healthy that'll help, but our O-line was beyond putrid and needs much more than a little tweak here and there for it to become even somewhat respectable.

We're chasing a ghost here.  We have to count on some development in order to ever have the line we want.  You are undervaluing the talent that is in place and discounting their development.

I trust Grigson to do the right thing too and I'm just trying to get some here to realize that WR isn't a priorty and nobody should be making an argument to sign Nicks for 6-8 mil a yr.(like I've already seen from several posters). IMO Nicks don't deserve a dime over 3.5 mil. but my opinion don't mean anything to Grigson. People should also prepare theirselves for the good possibility that Nicks leaves here today without a contract. The are contradictory reports, but I've heard Carolina is prepared to go all in on Nicks considering they absolutely nobody to catch the ball now that they released smith. Getting into a bidding war for the likes of Nicks would be flat out stupid, and I don't think Grigson will but I think some fans would want us too.

I'm not willing to go to a bidding war on Nicks either.    $6 Mill is my ceiling for him.    That keeps him below Wayne's numbers (base plus signing bonus)....   but beyond that if he wants more, and he can get more from someone else,  then good luck to him.

I think Grigs is very much willing to let him go out the door.     Carolina is a head scratcher.    They reportedly offered $4.5 and let him leave.....     Why, I don't know?    If they can lure him back -- OK.     I'm willing to pursue other options. 

Now this I can agree with good post

We're chasing a ghost here.  We have to count on some development in order to ever have the line we want.  You are undervaluing the talent that is in place and discounting their development.

I'm not trying to discount development but really the only guy that I see that has the potential for development is Thornton. I do think he's going to be a good RG, that is if they play him at RG. That is his natural position and should have been there all along last season. Thomas, we just have to hope for the best that he's healthy, but we know what we got with him, He's decent but nothing special. I'm not worried at all about our tackles, Castanzo has the making of being a top 10 LT and Cherilous is a very good RT. The center spot can screw everything up though as we've seen the last 2 seasons. Satele brought down the rest of the group so we know that with a weak center, it can drag down the rest of the line. IMO, Holmes was just a waste of a pick, if he was even somewhat serviceable, I think they would have used him last season considering the trouble we had. Instead, they brought in a guy off the street(Nixon) who had never sniffed the inside of an NFL stadium and threw him to the fire in less than a week of practice. 

I'm not willing to go to a bidding war on Nicks either.    $6 Mill is my ceiling for him.    That keeps him below Wayne's numbers (base plus signing bonus)....   but beyond that if he wants more, and he can get more from someone else,  then good luck to him.

I think Grigs is very much willing to let him go out the door.     Carolina is a head scratcher.    They reportedly offered $4.5 and let him leave.....     Why, I don't know?    If they can lure him back -- OK.     I'm willing to pursue other options. 

I'd bet Grigs is willing to go to the draft rather than over pay for him, but Nicks is a rare and young talent.  He can take a lot of risk, as far as I am concerned, to sign an impact player as long as that risk is limited to 1 yr of guarantees, and preferably a multi-year deal to capitalize on the investment.  That said, signing a FA WR is not my first choice - and Nicks is pretty much the beginning and end of the list that could be an exception to that.

bad idea. You want him to walk and get a big payday after 1 yr?

the point is we have to pay the player we have soon, Allen, fleener, Hilton, luck, just to name a few we don't want to tie up money is a player like nicks who is never healthy

O-line vs. Receiver - which is the most pressing need? It's obvious that O-line is the more pressing need.

O-line vs. Receiver - which segment has better FA available? It would appear that the Colts FO feel that it's receiver.

I would also agree with them. What FA linemen are available and are as good in their position as Nicks is in his position? I think this year's Free Agency is a weak pool for O-linemen. To forego Nicks for lesser O-line talent might not make much sense, IMO.

O-line vs. Receiver - which is the most pressing need? It's obvious that O-line is the more pressing need.

O-line vs. Receiver - which segment has better FA available? It would appear that the Colts FO feels that it's receiver.

I would also agree with them. What FA linemen are available and are as good in their position as Nicks is in his position? I think this year's Free Agency is a weak pool for O-linemen. To forego Nicks for lesser O-line talent might not make much sense, IMO.

It makes all the sense in the world with guys like Evan Dietrich Smith and even Will Montgomery out there

Doesn't matter who we sign at WR, TE, RB, FB, or QB

Until that front 5 is solidified, we'll never be "good to go"

my thinking was that we are good at the LT, RT spot with Thornton gaining experience, and Thomas coming back, Center position is gonna be 100% times better just with the release of satele, I think they believe in homles, Costa is kind of like a stop gap emergency starter type, we can't tie up 10m - 12m per into a Center, u guys have to understand that we have to develop young "cheap" talent also can't have big contracts tied up in a few guys, with luck, and the rest of the core 2012 draft due to be paid soon,

I'm not trying to discount development but really the only guy that I see that has the potential for development is Thornton. I do think he's going to be a good RG, that is if they play him at RG. That is his natural position and should have been there all along last season. Thomas, we just have to hope for the best that he's healthy, but we know what we got with him, He's decent but nothing special. I'm not worried at all about our tackles, Castanzo has the making of being a top 10 LT and Cherilous is a very good RT. The center spot can screw everything up though as we've seen the last 2 seasons. Satele brought down the rest of the group so we know that with a weak center, it can drag down the rest of the line. IMO, Holmes was just a waste of a pick, if he was even somewhat serviceable, I think they would have used him last season considering the trouble we had. Instead, they brought in a guy off the street(Nixon) who had never sniffed the inside of an NFL stadium as threw him to the fire is less than a week of practice. 

That all sounds about right.  Guard and Tackle are set.  Now we are not chasing a ghost, we are only chasing a center.  The practical indicators about the status of that chase are that we'll enter camp with a less proven center than everyone wants, and that Grigson doesn't see a performance delta commensurate with cost in DLP or EDS...so he is willing to wait on the unlikely in Mack or run with what he has and/or can get in the draft. Costa has productive starting experience, so there is no reason to believe Grigs will chase a more proven center if he can't get Mack.  in light of that, we need not worry that luxury signings of impact players are going to interfere with the progression of our O-line.

As for the Nixon playing instead of Holmes logic, that has never really meant much to me.  I've always thought that could mean positive things about Nixon without meaning anything negative about Holmes.  In fact, I think we should all be giving Grigson credit for recognizing a UDFA talent in Nixon that could step in and help us win games like that.  We know it's not easy.  Like Dungy used to say when the Colts made winning a thing we all took for granted...."people don't understand how hard it is to win a game in the NFL".

O-line vs. Receiver - which segment has better FA available? It would appear that the Colts FO feels that it's receiver.

What don't make sense...is signing a guy at a position that isn't a need simply because he's available.