Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Hakeem Nicks flying to visit Colts tomorrow

Dustin

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Id be fine with that, 5 million guaranteed is nothing

Would probably be mostly Year 1 base salary, so yeah, that's a painless type of deal. Nicks is definitely worthy, but I don't see why he'd sign for a moderate deal like that, rather than just one year at $5m, and then hit free agency again next year and try to cash in.

No reason to bring back McGlynn. I'd rather have Costa, to be honest. 

Costa isn't my favorite idea at center, but I'm not diametrically opposed to signing him at the right price. I was just disagreeing with the idea that we should settle for Costa in the name of adding a veteran receiver (and I think we would be well-served to add a veteran receiver, by the way).

Ide rather keep Mike. Cheaper and we already know the guy, familiar with our team and offense. I dont see Costa as a big change.

Nicks is the number one receiver in Indy immediately if he signs. Not saying he should but they will phase Reggie out if they have him or Reggie will make a living as the slot receiver and do it well.

Reggie was in the slot 2/3 of the time for Arians, i would say about the same last year.

Reggie has such a high FB IQ and Great hands IMO he can be an Awesome slot/relief valve for at least 2-3 more years.

It would be good for Rogers to have a Nicks ahead of him for another year. He has plenty to get better at.

I say sign him to a 1 year deal, Not like he could do any worst then DHB!

I disagree I think we should take a chance and sign him for a cheap long term deal. That way if he does have a break out season which i think is very possible, we won't have to sign him to a huge contract next year to keep him around.

Or he may be out of the League. I don't see it in his route running, I think he is very lazy there. He has some ability but hasn't shown much with it.

Ehh give him a chance he didn't even get training camp with us.  

A lot of rookies don't make immediate impacts at WR their rookie year.

Look at Alshon Jeffery. 

Rookie year 24 rec for 367 yards and 3 TD's

2nd year: 89 rec for 1,421 yards and 7 TD's

And Jeffery spent his rookie training camp in the Bear's camp.  

Josh Gordon had a decent rookie year 50 rec 805 yards 5 TD's

Then exploded his 2nd year 87 rec 1646 yards 9 TD's.

Sometimes it just takes a year to figure certain things out.  Rodgers has everything though that you can't teach except maybe Hands, there isn't enough sample size to make a determination on his hands other then the fact that they are better then DHB's.  (Which isn't saying much.)

He showed some good flashes, even in the first game in which he didn't get any stats if you remember he drew a big PI call.  That may not show up on the stat book but that's helping the team and you don't draw PI calls if you havn't already beat your man.  

Look at Alshon Jeffery. 

Sometimes it just takes a year to figure certain things out.  Rodgers has everything though that you can't teach except maybe Hands, there isn't enough sample size to make a determination on his hands other then the fact that they are better then DHB's.  (Which isn't saying much.)

He showed some good flashes, even in the first game in which he didn't get any stats if you remember he drew a big PI call.  That may not show up on the stat book but that's helping the team and you don't draw PI calls if you havn't already beat your man.  

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Lets give Da'Rick the off-season to develop!

I disagree I think we should take a chance and sign him for a cheap long term deal. That way if he does have a break out season which i think is very possible, we won't have to sign him to a huge contract next year to keep him around.

I don't think he'd take that deal, because he's worried about the same thing.  (Breaking out but being on contract for cheap.)  

He may take a cheap 1 year deal so he can prove he has it and get a bigger deal afterwards.  But he's not gonna take a deal that keeps him on the roster for a long time at the pay of a #3 or #4 receiver.

I don't think he'd take that deal, because he's worried about the same thing.  (Breaking out but being on contract for cheap.)  

He may take a cheap 1 year deal so he can prove he has it and get a bigger deal afterwards.  But he's not gonna take a deal that keeps him on the roster for a long time at the pay of a #3 or #4 receiver.

I think last season humbled him. Being around Reggie and T.Y. and seeing how successful they were,  I bet you hed give his brick hands to resign with us for a cheap couple year deal.

Yes, that is it exactly. He is a project.

Precisely. Based on that expectations, I liked what I saw last year and am looking forward to seeing if he makes progress this year.

That's all I'm personally saying. No more, no less.

I think last season humbled him. Being around Reggie and T.Y. and seeing how successful they were,  I bet you hed give his brick hands to resign with us for a cheap couple year deal.

Oh we are talking about Rodgers?  I thought you where talking about Nicks?

Rodgers we have on the cheap for 3 years anyway.  This year he's cheap, next year he's an Exclusive Rights Free Agents which means he has to play for whatever we offer him or don't play.  So he's cheap because we just offer the NFL min.  The year after that he's an RFA so at a first round tender he gets 2 million.

The way the CBA is worked out, essentially every player has to pay their dues by playing the first 4 years of their career for cheap.  

Even Andrew doesn't get more then 7 million in any one year on his rookie deal.  And he was the #1 overall pick!  A undrafted free agent lives on the NFL min for 3 years, gets a bit more money if he gets a big tender in RFA, around 2 million.  So Rodgers is cheap regardless of how well he plays for the next 3 years.

Rodgers we have on the cheap for 3 years anyway.  This year he's cheap, next year he's an Exclusive Rights Free Agents which means he has to play for whatever we offer him or don't play.  So he's cheap because we just offer the NFL min.  The year after that he's an RFA so at a first round tender he gets 2 million.

lol No, I was talking about DHB---Brick hands lol

I think the word you're looking for is "raw."

:D

He is very raw (Rogers). At this point he hasn't shown much more than being able to run a 9 route. Nothing wrong with having that guy that can stretch the field and let guys like TY and Fleener work underneath them but Rogers is sushi-raw. He needs plenty more time and until then we do need a veteren receiver. Wayne may or may not come back. This late in his career...even Jerry Rice had to shut it down eventually when he became ineffective (no matter how good his routes were). I would be thrilled to get a decent season out of Reggie (55 catches 700yds 5 tds). The issue we have is that we traded our 1st rd pick. I don't think we would even be worried about wr if we had that pick...and having the option to get one in rd 1 or 2...but we don't. We have OL needs and secondary needs...and with no real starter available at FS or C....you have to sure up the position you can. WR is a need...check it off the list and we will just have to roll our dice with the draft and what we have with these other positions. If AL wasn't a stud....mobile and strong it may not had been an issue but there are few options in FA to help our line...we got to trust Grigson to find a starter from our backups or in the draft.

Look at Alshon Jeffery.

Sometimes it just takes a year to figure certain things out. Rodgers has everything though that you can't teach except maybe Hands, there isn't enough sample size to make a determination on his hands other then the fact that they are better then DHB's. (Which isn't saying much.)

He showed some good flashes, even in the first game in which he didn't get any stats if you remember he drew a big PI call. That may not show up on the stat book but that's helping the team and you don't draw PI calls if you havn't already beat your man.

This I couldn't agree more give him a fair shot

Goodwin as a one year stop-gap is better than Costa, IMO. I wish we could have gotten Hawley, to be honest, but it didn't happen.

I'll be honest and say I have no idea of how Costa and Goodwin stack up. Common sense would say you are right as Goodwin started for a very good team and Costa has had sporadic playing time at best.

The way the CBA is worked out, essentially every player has to pay their dues by playing the first 4 years of their career for cheap.  

Even Andrew doesn't get more then 7 million in any one year on his rookie deal.  And he was the #1 overall pick!  A undrafted free agent lives on the NFL min for 3 years, gets a bit more money if he gets a big tender in RFA, around 2 million.  So Rodgers is cheap regardless of how well he plays for the next 3 years.

Lol, I was talking about Nicks.

If Nicks can convince the Colts that he still has a heart for football and he is willing to play the role we give him on offense... he will get a multi-year deal.

I would think it would be somewhere between 3 years/9 million and 4 years/14 million.

It was probably 1 year $4.5M.

He wants a long term deal. He'll see what he can get elsewhere first.

Nope.  At least not according to the article.

"While it's not clear if San Diego is in the mix, the Panthers have reportedly offered Nicks a deal worth $4.5 million per season. It's a good bet the Colts have an offer on the table of at least that much, otherwise Nicks wouldn't be going there for a visit."

"His agent had leaked the idea that he might be willing to accept a one-year deal to prove his value earlier in the week, but Nicks shot that down the very next day. With at least two teams bidding for his services, he will certainly get a multi-year deal."

has he already visited the panthers???

It sounds like he already has.  Was looking at the posts on a Panther's board and they are mad that their GM let him leave town without a contract and think he'll likely sign with us.

Although it's interesting to read when they show their ignorance about our team.  

One person said he'd do better in Indy cause Indy has an O-line.  (Not sure where he got that idea.)