Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Hakeem Nicks flying to visit Colts tomorrow

Dustin

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really depends on how the contracts are structured. From what I read the contract Nicks turned down was very front loaded, after year 1 he was playing for peanuts.

That's true, they could be structured in a different way, but if we really do have a shot at Mack, I would rather go all in for him and forget about Nicks. I'd hate to think we had a real shot at Mack just to let it slip away because we signed an injury prone player at a position that isn't really critical right now.

Hopefully we ink Nicks and Mack and we'll be sitting pretty. I have current roster looking like this:

QB: Andrew Luck, Matt Hasselbeck

RB: Trent Richardson, Ahmad Bradshaw, Vick Ballard, Boom Herron

RT: Gosder Cherilus, Xavier Nixon

RG: Phil Costa , Hugh Thornton
C: Alex Mack, Khaled Holmes
LG: Donald Thomas, Joe Reitz
LT: Anthony Castonzo, Jack Breckner

WR: Reggie Wayne, Hakeem Nicks, T.Y. Hilton, Da’Rick Rogers, LaVonn Brazill, Griff Whalen

TE: Dwayne Allen, Coby Fleener, Jack Doyle, Wesley Saunders

DE: Corey Redding, Arthur Jones, Ricky Jean Francois, Fili Moala

NT: Josh Chapman, Montori Hughes

OLB: Robert Mathis, Erik Walden, Bjoern Werner, Cam Johnson/Justin Hickman

ILB: Jerrell Freeman, D’Qwell Jackson, Kelvin Sheppherd, Josh McNary

CB: Vontae Davis, Greg Toler, Cassius Vaughn, Josh Gordy, Darius Butler, *****

SS: LaRon Landry, *****

FS: Delano Howell, Sergio Brown

P: Pat McAfee

K: Adam Vinatieri

LS: Matt Overton

Practice Squad: Daniel Adongo, Chandler Harnish

Couldn't remember the rest of the O-Line or secondary so hope I didn't miss too much. Should be a pretty solid year barring injuries and hopefully Grigs can work his magic in the draft again.

That's true, they could be structured in a different way, but if we really do have a shot at Mack, I would rather go all in for him and forget about Nicks. I'd hate to think we had a real shot at Mack just to let it slip away because we signed an injury prone player at a position that isn't really critical right now.

I think if we had any shot at all at Mack we would have signed him to an offer sheet early on. I see no offer we make that is suitable that the Browns wouldn't match....and any offer they wouldn't...we probably wouldn't want him for. It just isn't happening with Mack. We aren't paying him tackle money...because that is what it would take to get him away from Cleveland. That would be devestating to our cap. Its important to us because we need a center...but financially it would set us up to have major issues come next year when we would have to pay our left tackle (Costanzo or someone else) because that is the most important position on the line. It just doesn't make sense because lets be honest....centers get paid the least for a reason....to invest that much just doesn't make sense...and maybe he is a free agent next year without a tag. We don't have to build Rome in a day.

Did I say it doesn't make sense? lol...thats what happens when you get up 3 times between finishing a post.

I think if we had any shot at all at Mack we would have signed him to an offer sheet early on. I see no offer we make that is suitable that the Browns wouldn't match....and any offer they wouldn't...we probably wouldn't want him for. It just isn't happening with Mack. We aren't paying him tackle money...because that is what it would take to get him away from Cleveland. That would be devestating to our cap. Its important to us because we need a center...but financially it would set us up to have major issues come next year when we would have to pay our left tackle (Costanzo or someone else) because that is the most important position on the line. It just doesn't make sense because lets be honest....centers get paid the least for a reason....to invest that much just doesn't make sense...and maybe he is a free agent next year without a tag. We don't have to build Rome in a day.

Did I say it doesn't make sense? lol...thats what happens when you get up 3 times between finishing a post.

Okay this really pains me, but.....Brad Wells wrote a really good article breaking down how the Colts could sign both Mack and Nicks. I'm in no way a cap expert, but the way it's broken down makes a lot of sense. It's very hypothetical but it's worth a read.

Okay I need to go shower, I said Brad Wells did something decent.

Probably all true and I've said all along that the chances of signing him are slim to none, but ya just never know. I just do not think we need to sign Nicks, he'd be a luxury signing and we really still need an upgrade at center and at FS. Signing Nicks seriously restricts us from being able to do that. As far as signing guys next yr. I'm not at all worried about that right now. Its already been reported that the salary cap will go up at least 15 million dollars next season and over 160 mil. In 2016. Plus we'll have guys coming off the books and there is always restructuring. The money will be there in the future, we need to worry about this yr..

Probably all true and I've said all along that the chances of signing him are slim to none, but ya just never know. I just do not think we need to sign Nicks, he'd be a luxury signing and we really still need an upgrade at center and at FS. Signing Nicks seriously restricts us from being able to do that. As far as signing guys next yr. I'm not at all worried about that right now. Its already been reported that the salary cap will go up at least 15 million dollars next season and over 160 mil. In 2016. Plus we'll have guys coming off the books and there is always restructuring. The money will be there in the future, we need to worry about this yr..

I agree...I just don't see the value in ANY center commanding premium LT type money...and that seems to be what it would take to wrestle him away from Cleveland. I fully understand the need and we can afford him...but that doesn't mean we have to have pro bowl guys at every position. Perhaps we regroup and upgrade our guard position instead. And we don't have to fix every position in one offseason. I agree Center was my #1 need coming out of the season but if our guy isn't out there...he isn't out there. Maybe we make an offer...I just find it hard to believe Cleveland who needs him just as badly if not more than us would let him go by not matching. They have more money...and just as big a need. They showed the priority they have with him by tendering him the 10 million dollar transition tag. I don't see him going anywhere....sorry to be the glass half full on this one....normally I'm more positive.

I agree...I just don't see the value in ANY center commanding premium LT type money...and that seems to be what it would take to wrestle him away from Cleveland. I fully understand the need and we can afford him...but that doesn't mean we have to have pro bowl guys at every position. Perhaps we regroup and upgrade our guard position instead. And we don't have to fix every position in one offseason. I agree Center was my #1 need coming out of the season but if our guy isn't out there...he isn't out there. Maybe we make an offer...I just find it hard to believe Cleveland who needs him just as badly if not more than us would let him go by not matching. They have more money...and just as big a need. They showed the priority they have with him by tendering him the 10 million dollar transition tag. I don't see him going anywhere....sorry to be the glass half full on this one....normally I'm more positive.

No, for the most part I agree. I doubt it happens but it does sound like Mack would rather be here than Cleveland. If I was Cleveland I'm not sure I would want to invest big money on a guy that didn't want to be there. That maybe our only chance. I would rather go after one of the other centers than Nicks too. I dream about how awesome this team could be with a good O-line.

No, for the most part I agree. I doubt it happens but it does sound like Mack would rather be here than Cleveland. If I was Cleveland I'm not sure I would want to invest big money on a guy that didn't want to be there. That maybe our only chance. I would rather go after one of the other centers than Nicks too. I dream about how awesome this team could be with a good O-line.

I'm not sure there is a center out there that will really make the difference you dream of outside of Mack. We are going to have to develop/draft our own guys. How sad it is that our best OL we have drafted over the last several years is just avg at best....and I know thats more on Polian but its just a fact. The offense we ran and Peyton's quick release covered up so much. 

I think he is unsure of staying....I think Cleveland thinks that if they improve and after playing for the new regime and hopefully experiencing some success it will change his mind. That all said it may just be a one year proposition for him anyways and maybe they are ok as long as they have time to find a replacement. Perhaps we just get Mack next year?

Make it happen!

It was an impressive game...but that's also why Talib got traded for peanuts...he had off-field issues and was a malcontent in the locker room. He went to a winning organization that kept him on the straight and narrow and look at the difference....top 3 corner in the game.

Two years removed they are nothing like they players on that tape. It's a total reversal. I still like Nicks...but he hasn't played like that in years...and accordingly neither has Talib.

As a life long Giants fan, absolutely sucks that the Giants have let Hakeem go.  He will surely be the #1 receiver if he joins the colts or almost any team. The video posted by someone in this thread tells all.  Just some background info on the Nicks situation.

-In 2012 he played through a broken foot with a screw in it and ended up injuring his knee while toughing it out through the season. It wasn't divulged until last week that the knee injury was an injured PCL and it was repaired this past off season.  Both of these injuries occurred during the 2012 season and unfortunately, it seems it might have played a part in last seasons down year.  Aside from the fact that Erratic Eli had his worst year ever, which isn't much worse than his second worst year ever.

-The guy catches balls with people draped all over him.  Absolutely the best hands since Chris Carter and that's saying a lot.  

-It seems that something happened between Tom Coughlin or FO and Nicks, because he was an absolute ideal teammate.  These reports of him being late to Toms meetings etc. would never have been associated with Nicks in the past.  My guess is that they showed him no respect when he laid it all on the line in 2012 and the team proceeded to A) give Cruz a contract even though Hakeem is the #1 guy drawing most of the doubles and B) let him play out his contract year full well knowing the guy just had PCL surgery in the off season and likely would not be at full strength.  If you saw the video many of those balls were inaccurate and Nicks had to fight for them.  Not crazy to think that after we started 0-6 and Eli was having an awful year, Nicks played a little more cautiously since he didn't have a contract and the team secured him in no way.  The likely hood of him getting hurt again would have been much higher.  Is it coincidence that Cruz got hurt going high up for one of Eli's balls last season and had to have surgery?

Make of it what you will, but if he were to pass medical exams and show that he can still run well and play then you guys would be getting an absolute BEAST with Nicks.  Wouldn't be surprised to see him and Luck in the Pro Bowl for the next few years.  Good luck and pray you guys sign this guy if he's good to go.  He will come cheaper than he would likely have garnered if he even had a decent QB this year.  

As a life long Giants fan, absolutely sucks that the Giants have let Hakeem go.  He will surely be the #1 receiver if he joins the colts or almost any team. The video posted by someone in this thread tells all.  Just some background info on the Nicks situation.

-In 2012 he played through a broken foot with a screw in it and ended up injuring his knee while toughing it out through the season. It wasn't divulged until last week that the knee injury was an injured PCL and it was repaired this past off season.  Both of these injuries occurred during the 2012 season and unfortunately, it seems it might have played a part in last seasons down year.  Aside from the fact that Erratic Eli had his worst year ever, which isn't much worse than his second worst year ever.

-The guy catches balls with people draped all over him.  Absolutely the best hands since Chris Carter and that's saying a lot.  

-It seems that something happened between Tom Coughlin or FO and Nicks, because he was an absolute ideal teammate.  These reports of him being late to Toms meetings etc. would never have been associated with Nicks in the past.  My guess is that they showed him no respect when he laid it all on the line in 2012 and the team proceeded to A) give Cruz a contract even though Hakeem is the #1 guy drawing most of the doubles and B) let him play out his contract year full well knowing the guy just had PCL surgery in the off season and likely would not be at full strength.  If you saw the video many of those balls were inaccurate and Nicks had to fight for them.  Not crazy to think that after we started 0-6 and Eli was having an awful year, Nicks played a little more cautiously since he didn't have a contract and the team secured him in no way.  The likely hood of him getting hurt again would have been much higher.  Is it coincidence that Cruz got hurt going high up for one of Eli's balls last season and had to have surgery?

Make of it what you will, but if he were to pass medical exams and show that he can still run well and play then you guys would be getting an absolute BEAST with Nicks.  Wouldn't be surprised to see him and Luck in the Pro Bowl for the next few years.  Good luck and pray you guys sign this guy if he's good to go.  He will come cheaper than he would likely have garnered if he even had a decent QB this year.  

Thank you. Some of our ignorant Colt fans could use some info from someone in the know.

Yeah...don't know about Nicks...Giants people were saying he has lost the ability to separate because of the bad knees...it is why they let him go.

This is nonsense.  The dude has always run a 4.6X 40.  His strength is body position and using his big paws to snag balls from all around.  There are no bad knees, only one that he had scoped this past off season for a PCL injury, which is not nearly as bad as an ACL.  It also wasn't a full reconstruction, but just fixing of a tear.  Think of it this way, the dude had 900 yds and 50+ catches in his worst season which some Giants fans felt he quit (not my belief or many others) and Eli having his worst season.  He uncharacteristically dropped a couple of balls this year, but there were a plethora of times he was wide open and Eli just blew the passes or never even saw him.

If he could do what he did with all of these negatives and his purported "bad knees", what could he do with a QB like Luck and a year further healed form his injuries?  Seems like a no brainer to me. Plus, he has already said he would be willing to prove himself.  There are many ways to make a long term contract that is voidable if he doesn't perform yet secure him if he does.  This is what the Giants should have done, but someone felt they had their cheerios * on and seemingly held a grudge. 

Count me in as someone who would also welcome Nicks. I believe he would be a great replacement for Reggie in a few years. If Reggie comes back healthy then I see no reason why we will not keep him on a year-to-year retainer until he can't play anymore. We only have one more season with Reggie under his current contract. 

If we can get Nicks for anywhere near the deal that Reggie took, then it is a no-brainer to me. 

That said, I would not like for us to only give him a 1-year deal. We know he is good and the chances of him having a break-out year are very likely with Luck tossing the rock his way. It will cost us more down the road or we will lose him after one season, and then be right back in the same boat - needing a receiver. Plus we would have both Reggie and Nicks as free agents at the same time. I do not like that situation. Not that Reggie will likely cost much money at that time, but it is not a good situation to set your self up for.

Just my two cents.

I think a good one or two year deal would make Nicks a good pick up.

It doesn't hurt that he came out and said that he would love to catch passes for Luck.

I think this could be our last big signing if we get Nicks. I believe it is between Mack and Nicks at this point.

I don't mind the Idea of signing Nicks, and a guy like Thomas DeCoud at FS, and then Drafting this guy at C http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1851125/marcus-martin

I don't mind the Idea of signing Nicks, and a guy like Thomas DeCoud at FS, and then Drafting this guy at C http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1851125/marcus-martin

Hmmm Thomas DeCoud? From the Falcons secondary?

And Martin basically replaced Khaled Holmes at USC. So that would be interesting if he is still available at our first pick.

Hmmm Thomas DeCoud? From the Falcons secondary?

And Martin basically replaced Khaled Holmes at USC. So that would be interesting if he is still available at our first pick.

Granted his play dropped off in 2013 but DeCoud was a pro-bowl FS in 2012, and who on the Falcons had a good season in 2013, I view him as a possible stop gap player until a long term solution can be found, similar to D'qwell Jackson. Where as Martin who should/could be available in the second round would be an upgrade over Satelle (the same could be said about my sister) with a high ceiling could develop into an O-line keystone in a few years.

IMO it's way too early to set his ceiling. Most receivers take 2-3 years to really develop. Remember Wayne? He didn't start really looking like Reggie until his third year.

I'm not calling TY a HoF lock or anything for the record. Just that we should probably pump the brakes on saying what the rest of his career will look like after 2 years.

Hey!!    Quit being so reasonable!     And logical!

We actually had posters calling Griff Whalen a future #1 after several decent games.    They presumably were not under the influence when they made those views public.

Sometimes fans can be a little.....    ahhh.....   ehhhh.....    uhhhh.....     Fanatical.     (Yikes!)

I don't think this is a crucial signing, however, if we get Nicks, and he plays like he can, then we suddenly have to best, most diverse and versatile receiving core in the league.

Hilton - Allen - Fleener - Wayne- Nicks.

Wow.

Hopefully we ink Nicks and Mack and we'll be sitting pretty. I have current roster looking like this:

WR: Reggie Wayne, Hakeem Nicks, T.Y. Hilton, Da’Rick Rogers, LaVonn Brazill, Griff Whalen

Couldn't remember the rest of the O-Line or secondary so hope I didn't miss too much. Should be a pretty solid year barring injuries and hopefully Grigs can work his magic in the draft again.

henoc 5th ilb

Muamba and Adongo will make the 53

Do you remember the old Reggie? He went deep along the left sideline regularly. And he was arguably fast in his prime than Nicks is now.

But I'm talking about now.  I think of Reggie as a chain mover now.  An excellent chain mover.  I really hope he can come back effectively :)