Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Hakeem Nicks flying to visit Colts tomorrow

Dustin

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If TY does not understand that a big strong route runner with good hands is not going to enhance his role as the speedster over the top guy, then he needs to get some professional perspective. If he is going to worry about some competition then he needs to gain some maturity. I think neither is the case!  I'd be more worried about Rogers feeling that the team has little faith in him, but would hope that he would come into camp with something to prove about himself instead of sulking.

Hopefully they both would see it as a move for the team to be better overall and compete for playing time.

Iron sharpens Iron, Man sharpens Man!

I love how you are lecturing TY over some imaginary, hypothetical comment some guy on the internet said.

I just don't see that in him. He went off the radar for five games after Reggie went down although some of that is on Luck. I think he can be an adequate #2 or a very good slot receiver.

To be fair, the whole team was trying to get their feet under them after Reggie going down. Most of that slack from TY can probably be attributed to Pep trying to figure out how to use him with all the extra attention.

If he turned down 4.5M/year, then he can fly right on to the next team dumb enough to pay and often injured receiver much. 

I would be ok with something like 3M/yr base with the possibility of another 3M/yr worth of incentives. It allows us to get some protection against injury, and it lets him bet on himself.

If he signs cool just don't want them to slow the development of Rogers

Nicks just turned 26.  Rogers will be 23 in a few months.  If he's coming here, it's to play, not to be a stopgap or mentor to Rogers. 

Nicks just turned 26. Rogers will be 23 in a few months. If he's coming here, it's to play, not to be a stopgap or mentor to Rogers.

I know I don't want them to give up on Rogers when he didn't even get a offseason with us he could have a Alshon Jeffery jump in production next year

It boggles my mind why people think we need to bring in a high profile WR.  Reggie and TY will be great next year.  Rogers/Brazil/Whalen are extremely young talented guys that only need to be developed.  Yes Reggie isn't going to be here much longer but I fully expect one of the three to step into his roll when he is ready to walk.

I feel like people also forget we have 2 great TE's also.  Clearly our receiving unit doesn't need any more depth.

It boggles my mind why people think we need to bring in a high profile WR.  Reggie and TY will be great next year.  Rogers/Brazil/Whalen are extremely young talented guys that only need to be developed.  Yes Reggie isn't going to be here much longer but I fully expect one of the three to step into his roll when he is ready to walk.

I feel like people also forget we have 2 great TE's also.  Clearly our receiving unit doesn't need any more depth.

Well, the Colts are bringing him in, so it's not like it's just fans.

It boggles my mind why people think we need to bring in a high profile WR. Reggie and TY will be great next year. Rogers/Brazil/Whalen are extremely young talented guys that only need to be developed. Yes Reggie isn't going to be here much longer but I fully expect one of the three to step into his roll when he is ready to walk.

I feel like people also forget we have 2 great TE's also. Clearly our receiving unit doesn't need any more depth.

It boggles me that people seem to never think about injuries after the past season the colts just had!! haha

Just becasue were bringing in another reciever does NOT mean were replacing Rogers or any other reciever! It's just adding more depth incase of injury and adding a possible play maker!!!!

A lot of people are freaking out... Rogers and T.Y would still get PLENTYYY of playing time! For sure If a WR get injured... This signing won't hurt!!

Moral of this.... Cheer up everyone!!! Don't freak out! If it is lowish money it's a low risk, high reward.. If not the other players will step up!

Our WR right now are a great group.  We have TY, Rogers, Brazil and even Griff all learning from one of the modern day NFL greats in Reggie.  Let these young guys grow and develop together.  Bringing a me first guy like Nicks could ruin these guys.  We need team first guys and I don't believe that Nicks fits that mold.

It boggles me that people seem to never think about injuries after the past season the colts just had!! haha

Oh I sure thought about it.  That doesn't mean we need another starting WR on our team tho.  Like I said we have 3 guys on the bench that will be good if they're given a chance.  No need to spend extra money when we can improve elsewhere.

It sounds like he already has.  Was looking at the posts on a Panther's board and they are mad that their GM let him leave town without a contract and think he'll likely sign with us.

Although it's interesting to read when they show their ignorance about our team.  

One person said he'd do better in Indy cause Indy has an O-line.  (Not sure where he got that idea.)

LMAOO too funny

Nicks talked about wanting to be here, and it would help the team. A couple of years on a deal... and It would be pretty low risk. Nicks can catch a ball, and it would take pressure off T.Y. Hilton having to return kicks too which made me cringe every time. Move Whalen back there.

Sounds like the odds of this move happening are pretty good.

So, the biggest reason I'm against bringing in a big time receiver like Hakeem Nicks is I feel like it might upset T.Y.

T.Y. might feel like management doesnt believe in him enough to let him be THE guy. Even though he has proved it for 2 years now. He might want to be featured more, but management might want to go a different route. That scares me.

I dont want a riff to develop between T.Y. and the team. I want him in Indy for years to come. I dont want another receiver coming in and taking a spot thats rightfully his...

That's a good point and another reason to draft a WR instead. I'd hate to sign a cheap center just so we can get Nicks. Let's get a sure fire C first, then decide on if we get a SS or WR first during the draft.

Just becasue were bringing in another reciever does NOT mean were replacing Rogers or any other reciever! It's just adding more depth incase of injury and adding a possible play maker!!!!

A lot of people are freaking out... Rogers and T.Y would still get PLENTYYY of playing time! For sure If a WR get injured... This signing won't hurt!!

Moral of this.... Cheer up everyone!!! Don't freak out! If it is lowish money it's a low risk, high reward.. If not the other players will step up!

I would be ok with a cheap deal though. Just don't get in the way of getting a good center.

I love how you are lecturing TY over some imaginary, hypothetical comment some guy on the internet said.

This answer was in response to the OP in another thread which got merged here, so the context of my answer was some what lost.

My response was relative to TY feeling slighted by bring in another receiver here, and was in regard to that speculation. Which I said was not valid. I was responding to speculation with speculation relative to that. Not in any way lecturing anybody about anything.  It was an IF/THEN response.

No biggie just wanted to make it clear.

I would be ok with a cheap deal though. Just don't get in the way of getting a good center.

I don't see our franchise center out there. I see rentals and we develop our own. Same with Safety. At this point upgrading WR is the only position where we can actually add a difference maker. Considering we have no first rd pick....there is no guys in the draft that I can see being a starter this year.

Nicks would be a HUGE upgrade over dhb!, people on here  that say it might hurt T.Y,s feelings are totally crazy! If getting NIcks will help the team that is the main priority not worrying about hurting another players feelings, which btw wouldn't anyway, T.Y would be happy to get another playmaker out there with him, it will only open up more things for him!

I really hope this doesn't happen. We need a C and FS much more than a WR. Can't afford to give Nicks 5M. That would leave about 12M left for C, FS, and the draft. This years draft is deep with WR's, not so much at FS. I really hope we don't settle for Costa just so we can afford Nicks. That would be a huge mistake IMO.

you might be surprised I feel  like  he "could" be like DHB but I don't think it would be his hands probably more like his legs and feet

what if we signed both of them and Nicks rode DHB piggyback??

Nicks just turned 26.  Rogers will be 23 in a few months.  If he's coming here, it's to play, not to be a stopgap or mentor to Rogers. 

You can do both.    Those are not mutually exclusive positions.

He can play,  AND be a mentor.    Happens all the time.      See Wayne, Reggie