Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Hakeem Nicks flying to visit Colts tomorrow

Dustin

When Nicks is healthy he's a #1 WR but the problem is he hasn't been healthy the past two years. On a one or two year deal he would be an upgrade over the WR's we have and he does have a lot to prove. The one good thing about signing him is that it would prevent us from drafting a WR early because we have so many other needs on the defensive side of the ball.

Good point, I hope your right.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. With Hakeem Nicks visiting Indy, #Panthers have renewed interest in Brandon LaFell, who left NE without a deal. LaFell is in Charlotte today

2.  Favorite 

More

Hakeem Nicks is visiting #Colts tomorrow (as he told @JosinaAnderson), and the #Panthers and #Chargers are in the mix. Nerves in Carolina.

Nicks is the number one receiver in Indy immediately if he signs. Not saying he should but they will phase Reggie out if they have him or Reggie will make a living as the slot receiver and do it well.

Reggie has been a slot receiver for 2 years now.

Nicks actually has incredible hands and is a VERY good athlete.

My only concerns are his health and the fact we need a C and Safety more, and this draft is loaded on WR's.

Nicks is a heck of a player though IF healthy.

Key word being: "If"

I just don't see that in him. He went off the radar for five games after Reggie went down although some of that is on Luck. I think he can be an adequate #2 or a very good slot receiver.

IMO it's way too early to set his ceiling. Most receivers take 2-3 years to really develop. Remember Wayne? He didn't start really looking like Reggie until his third year.

I'm not calling TY a HoF lock or anything for the record. Just that we should probably pump the brakes on saying what the rest of his career will look like after 2 years.

IMO it's way too early to set his ceiling. Most receivers take 2-3 years to really develop. Remember Wayne? He didn't start really looking like Reggie until his third year.

I'm not calling TY a HoF lock or anything for the record. Just that we should probably pump the brakes on saying what the rest of his career will look like after 2 years.

That was because of Marvin Harrison.

Wouldn't mind on a cheap deal. Question is if he does stay helathy and have a good season on a 1 year deal then are we gonna have the money to resign him next off season with all the big contracts were gonna have to fork out. Almost rather just draft a guy this year. Its a deep class and I have a pretty good feeling that there will be a quality reciever available who could come in and start when we pick in the 2nd, maybe the 3rd

So, the biggest reason I'm against bringing in a big time receiver like Hakeem Nicks is I feel like it might upset T.Y.

T.Y. might feel like management doesnt believe in him enough to let him be THE guy. Even though he has proved it for 2 years now. He might want to be featured more, but management might want to go a different route. That scares me.

I dont want a riff to develop between T.Y. and the team. I want him in Indy for years to come. I dont want another receiver coming in and taking a spot thats rightfully his...

He only helps TY.  Teams would have to worry about Wayne, TY and Hicks.  None of our other receivers were a threat.  So it benefits him.  I think we start throwing more next year, due to we saw that is how we can win games.

I should point out. . . If Nicks works out, Rodgers improves pretty significantly, Reggie comes back to pre-ACL tear form, and TY keeps on being TY. . . That is one scary set of receivers right there.  Throw Allen into the mix if he's back to form.  

Pick your poison. . . all with Andrew Luck at QB.  

I should point out. . . If Nicks works out, Rodgers improves pretty significantly, Reggie comes back to pre-ACL tear form, and TY keeps on being TY. . . That is one scary set of receivers right there. Throw Allen into the mix if he's back to form.

Pick your poison. . . all with Andrew Luck at QB.

And fleener

That was because of Marvin Harrison.

That's pretty consistent around the league. It's incredibly rare for 1st and 2nd year receivers to really "blow up."

Personally I like the progress ive seen with TY and am looking forward to see how far it goes.

And fleener

He's decent but I havn't seen anything about him that seems all that special.  A reliable set of hands at TE, decent at all aspects of receiving but nothing special.  

That having been said he showed great improvement from year 1 to year 2, so if he improves more then maybe he could be something special.  

Yeah , that's a solid opinion , but there's only a 3-4 (to my knowledge) of other options out there and Goodwin for instance is 35 and is not known to be a good pass blocker . So maybe he's out of the picture. Could also be the guys we're interested don't  match up with what their market appears to be.

Goodwin as a one year stop-gap is better than Costa, IMO. I wish we could have gotten Hawley, to be honest, but it didn't happen.

I mentioned him but yeah.  I think Rodgers is gonna be part of this big season long tryout to replace Reggie.  

Or he may be out of the League. I don't see it in his route running, I think he is very lazy there. He has some ability but hasn't shown much with it.

Sounds like the panthers are worried we are going to get him

Nicks is smart trying to sign with teams with young and good QB's.  I would have to say I would think he might prefer us a bit more to the Panthers.  Newton is good but more of his game relies upon him running the ball whereas Andrew would generally prefer to throw the ball then run it himself.  

But he's not doing too bad either way.  

Decker IMO was the dumb one going to the Jets.  With bad quarterbacking he's just going to make everyone think that he is nothing without Manning.  

If TY does not understand that a big strong route runner with good hands is not going to enhance his role as the speedster over the top guy, then he needs to get some professional perspective. If he is going to worry about some competition then he needs to gain some maturity. I think neither is the case!  I'd be more worried about Rogers feeling that the team has little faith in him, but would hope that he would come into camp with something to prove about himself instead of sulking.

Hopefully they both would see it as a move for the team to be better overall and compete for playing time.

Iron sharpens Iron, Man sharpens Man!

Good post!

I am sure Rogers would love as many snaps as he can get. But i think he has learned plenty about himself and that he has a lot to improve on. He is hungry i think and will work hard to be ready when called upon. Adding a Veteran for what is CLEARLY a Push to get to the SB would not be any indication our Mgmt. isn`t excited about his potential. .

He only played in 5 games and had 2 more TD`s than Reggie had his Rookie year. :thmup:

Alright...Ive officially changed my opinion. After watching his highlight video, damn this guy is impressive.

He was on my fantasy team a few years ago and did amazing, and I forgot that back then, people were saying he was a top 5 receiver in the league...

Im good with this signing...AS LONG AS WE FIGURE OUT CENTER FIRST

Goodwin as a one year stop-gap is better than Costa, IMO. I wish we could have gotten Hawley, to be honest, but it didn't happen.

If you're scraping the bottom of the barrel, don't want to invest in a C and/or are expecting to hand it over to Holmes, just bring back McGlynn and get on with it. 

Alright...Ive officially changed my opinion. After watching his highlight video, damn this guy is impressive.

He was on my fantasy team a few years ago and did amazing, and I forgot that back then, people were saying he was a top 5 receiver in the league...

Im good with this signing...AS LONG AS WE FIGURE OUT CENTER FIRST

When he was healthy he was a beast, but be dealt with injuries last year, which he insists are behind him. He's only 26 too

If you're scraping the bottom of the barrel, don't want to invest in a C and/or are expecting to hand it over to Holmes, just bring back McGlynn and get on with it. 

No reason to bring back McGlynn. I'd rather have Costa, to be honest. 

Costa isn't my favorite idea at center, but I'm not diametrically opposed to signing him at the right price. I was just disagreeing with the idea that we should settle for Costa in the name of adding a veteran receiver (and I think we would be well-served to add a veteran receiver, by the way).