Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Colts in talks for Alex Mack (mega-merge)

vitoaf27

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mack after getting tagged:

"I like where my future is going. Mr. Haslam, he’s a really good owner. I got a really good feeling about him. He’s a direct person who knows what he wants to do. There’s something to be said of that. It’s now a clean slate.”

The Browns met with Mack over the weekend. Along with Haslam, Farmer and Pettine, offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and offensive line coach Andy Moeller were in attendance.

“That was a cool meeting,” Mack said. “I got to sit down with the new offensive coordinator and line coach. They discussed their scheme, where we’re going and the plans for offense. That went really well. I think they liked what they heard from me or they wouldn’t have tagged me. It was fun to talk to them. Now, we just go from there. It’s nice to possibly play in a system that fits your skill set and sets you up for success. That’s what I got from that meeting...... I like Cleveland; I know it. I like these new coaches."

I was not saying he is, or that I have heard him say other wise upset, just saying he easily could be.  Just because he comes out and says the right thing doesn't mean anything. Plenty of players say one thing and think/do something else.

And while what his agent said could very well just be posturing to get the biggest offer to take back to the Browns to match, it also could be interpreted as Mack is looking to get out of Cleveland.

Theoretically, we could sign him to a large 1 year deal just to outbid the browns, with HIS understanding that the next 2 or 3 years would technically be cheaper due to the price of the one year deal. IF HE wants to leave and join us, I think that is a reasonable plan.

But a large 1 year deal would create a, say, 12 mil cap hit for the colts this year.  The idea of a 12 mil signing bonus for a 4 year deal is that the cap hit of the 12 mil is spread out each year; 1/4 each year, or 3 mil.  He gets his 12 mil cash year 1, more than his 10 mil tag, then salary for maybe 5-6 mil each year after that.  That's a cap hit of 8-9 mil per year, but a 12 mil payday day one.

Cleveland could easily match that, and probably would, unless mack wanted out.  We could offer Cleveland a draft pick if they thought mack would be disgruntled.

Its a long shot that mack would come here, but there are possibilities other than just throwing a bunch more money at him than Cleveland does.

I see a lot of talk about offering a HUGE cap hit in year one -OR- offering a HUGE one year contract that the Browns would have to match if they want to keep him.

Correct me if I am wrong but, the Browns "matching" any deal that another team offers does not mean that the contract has to be the EXACT same for the Browns to actually "match" the offer. 

What I am getting at is this... just because a team might offer a HUGE one year contract does not mean that if the Browns "matching" contract has to be for one year as well. Correct?

The Browns could "match" the terms of the contract and add in a couple more years if they would like to protect their investment. Am I correct?

I am not trying to burst anyone's bubble here... just trying to keep these conversations as real as possible.

I would like to believe that we could put the Browns on the hook for a HUGE one year contract and have another shot next year but, there are problems with that... that plan of actions says to me that A) Luck will not get the protection he deserves NOW and B) We would be paying out the wahzoo even more next year for the same player who is just another year older and falling off the wagon a bit faster.

This does not sound like a valuable way to do business in the NFL. If this is REALLY what some Colts fans want... then what they are asking for is a slow bleeding death to an otherwise promising era of Colts players.

I see a lot of talk about offering a HUGE cap hit in year one -OR- offering a HUGE one year contract that the Browns would have to match if they want to keep him.

Correct me if I am wrong but, the Browns "matching" any deal that another team offers does not mean that the contract has to be the EXACT same for the Browns to actually "match" the offer. 

What I am getting at is this... just because a team might offer a HUGE one year contract does not mean that if the Browns "matching" contract has to be for one year as well. Correct?

The Browns could "match" the terms of the contract and add in a couple more years if they would like to protect their investment. Am I correct?

I am not trying to burst anyone's bubble here... just trying to keep these conversations as real as possible.

I would like to believe that we could put the Browns on the hook for a HUGE one year contract and have another shot next year but, there are problems with that... that plan of actions says to me that A) Luck will not get the protection he deserves NOW and B) We would be paying out the wahzoo even more next year for the same player who is just another year older and falling off the wagon a bit faster.

This does not sound like a valuable way to do business in the NFL. If this is REALLY what some Colts fans want... then what they are asking for is a slow bleeding death to an otherwise promising era of Colts players.

If a team offered a huge one year deal and the Browns matched it they couldn't add more years to the contract, no. Whatever deal they match is the exact contract they have to sign him to.

Has to be the same contract.

If a team offered a huge one year deal and the Browns matched it they couldn't add more years to the contract, no. Whatever deal they match is the exact contract they have to sign him to.

Thanks for clearing that up.

yes it is

Are you agreeing that its a long thread or are you really expecting us to get Mack? Unless they come up with some crazy bizarre language in the contract that would somehow prevent Cleveland from matching and still not breaking the rules(almost impossible BTW) there's virtually ZERO chance this happens.

And even if we do end up committing a number up for an offer, how long can we really sit on that, while waiting on the Browns for 5 or 7 days to match, as other potential free agents the Colts are interested in get snapped up by other teams.

As much as I really want the Colts to get Mack, I'd have to say they should just walk from this and go after someone more attainable, like EDS and perhaps even some safety help.  

And even if we do end up committing a number up for an offer, how long can we really sit on that, while waiting on the Browns for 5 or 7 days to match, as other potential free agents the Colts are interested in get snapped up by other teams.

As much as I really want the Colts to get Mack, I'd have to say they should just walk from this and go after someone more attainable, like EDS and perhaps even some safety help.

This is what I've been saying. Signing Mack would be nice but it's pretty much impossible so we should try EDS before he slips off the market.

I've got 3 Centers I have my eye on from either FA or the draft (I dont really see Mack as being a realistic option until proven wrong)

1.Evan Dietrich Smith-Packers

2.Bryan Stork-Florida State

3.Russell Bodine-North Carolina

I've got 3 Centers I have my eye on from either FA or the draft (I dont really see Mack as being a realistic option until proven wrong)

1.Evan Dietrich Smith-Packers

2.Bryan Stork-Florida State

3.Russell Bodine-North Carolina

I would love if you're proven wrong...and I think you would be too

I dont get why anyone is so eager to pay this guy. How about Grigson does some scounting and draft a cheap c that can play right away. Dallas seemed to be set at C for the next decade with Fredricks and they were laughed at whe they made that pick. I dont recall Trent Richardson being able to run behind Cle's line either. And they had this guy and Thomas.

Maybe I am not getting it but if we were to offer say next years #1 pick & say this years 3rd or next years you could sign Mack to an offer & Cleveland doesn't match it because they want the picks? Is that possible?

I'm tired of trading our picks and our Future.... He is NOT the all end all

I dont get why anyone is so eager to pay this guy. How about Grigson does some scounting and draft a cheap c that can play right away. Dallas seemed to be set at C for the next decade with Fredricks and they were laughed at whe they made that pick. I dont recall Trent Richardson being able to run behind Cle's line either. And they had this guy and Thomas.

:facepalm: :facepalm:

So he didn't rush for almost 1,000 yards his rookie year behind the Browns offensive line?

The Colts had an estimated $40 million in salary-cap space entering the free-agent period, and being able to resist the urge to sign all but two outside free agents thus far among the 10 contracts they’ve executed should allow them to retain good cap health.