Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pep Hamilton Candidate For Vanderbilt HC Position

Restored

Let him go. I didn't like the hire when we made it.

All we heard about Andrew during his rookie year was how well he grasped the offense for a rookie.

His 2nd year, we heard that they hired Pep because of Andrews familiarity with his system. Was it really that important that Andrew benefit from a familiar/simple offensive system so much that we had to gamble with a first time NFL OC? I don't think so...

My worry was that Pep's offense from Stanford would not be complex enough to keep defenses honest in the pros. I know some of what I don't know and that the schemes in pro football are leaps and bounds ahead of anything these guys do in college. 

I want to hire a hot shot OC who is more of an Offensive Head Coach if that makes any sense...

Feel free to chime in.. My posts are still limited. 

I agree. .I just dont think that elite QB indoors should be operating out of conservative run-friendly sets.

We have to get away from run rhe ball..stop the run, 1980s  philosphy and so what we do best

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. .I just dont think that elite QB indoors should be operating out of conservative run-friendly sets.

We have to get away from run rhe ball..stop the run, 1980s  philosphy and so what we do best

Then you better hope that Irsay, Grigson and Pagano all go away too.

I don't think the philosophy is going away even if Pep goes elsewhere.

Why don't someone want Manusky for a head coaching job damn it lol

:lol:  :funny:  lmao Post of the Month right there CF12! Nice! 4 thumbs up for making SW1 almost roll on the floor with nonstop laughter!  :thmup:  :thmup:  :thmup:  :thmup:

All we heard about Andrew during his rookie year was how well he grasped the offense for a rookie.

His 2nd year, we heard that they hired Pep because of Andrews familiarity with his system. Was it really that important that Andrew benefit from a familiar/simple offensive system so much that we had to gamble with a first time NFL OC? I don't think so...

My worry was that Pep's offense from Stanford would not be complex enough to keep defenses honest in the pros. I know some of what I don't know and that the schemes in pro football are leaps and bounds ahead of anything these guys do in college. 

I want to hire a hot shot OC who is more of an Offensive Head Coach if that makes any sense...

Oh, the lone dissenter who defies conformity...that takes some serious moxy, mojo, & bravery to be the single rebel on here CFIT. That takes guts man! I disagree with you, but I like the courage it took to say what you believe regardless of any upcoming backlash.  Wait, I stand corrected OUM agrees with your let Pep go position as well. 

I want to keep Pep in place because the trust factor already exists between both men from their Stanford days. You don't mess with good chemistry & familiarity ever IMO. 

We have to get away from run the ball..stop the run, 1980s  philosphy and so what we do best

Seriously, you honestly believe that? Okay...Let's just say that SW1 will never concur with that philosophy in a million years.

Championship football is predicated on running the ball, stopping the run, & a killer, beat down your momma defense. Running the ball also opens up the play action pass, bootlegs, & surprise flea flickers. If INDY abandons the running game, we are dead in the water period. JMO. 

I have no desire to re-live the Bill Polian era again. Sorry. WR's & TE's have their place sure, but INDY cannot live on a overwhelming ariel attack. Balance is the key here with a heavy dose of an infantry assault. 

It is not that we have to run the ball 30 times every game but we have to be able to if we want/need to.  Just the threat of a good running attack makes the D bring a safety in the box or bite on play action.  A good running offense will create a better passing offense.

Our running offense was being stopped by pass defense schemes...that makes Luck's life very hard. 

1) To the thread, I hope Pep stays.  I think he was learning and getting better.

2)  I am amazed at all the talk of don't be a power running team talk that Pep favors given the events of the game just a few days ago. Just because you have an elite QB doesn't mean you have to throw it all over the field all the time.  LeGarrette Blount is still running through the Colts D and they have a pretty good QB.  Look at the remaining teams in the playoffs - all have solid running games and three might be described as power running teams.

I would not be heart broken if he left.  The question is would Pagano replace him with someone like Norv Turner or try and find another OC that will put the run first.

I thought Pep got better when he finally realized we were not this power run team and let the leash off Luck, but then he reverted back in the biggest point of the Pats game.  Running it up the gut on the Pats goalline was one of the most depressing things to watch.  At no point in those two plays did I think we were going to pound it in.

It would be nice to keep him for consistency, but I do not think it would hurt that bad if he left.

Its not just Luck though, there are 10 other guys that would have to learn another system.

A lot would say being a Head Coach in college, especially a SEC team is a step up from being a coordinator even for a NFL team.

With that said Vanderbilt isn't the best job in the world and if he plays his card right he can probably land a better college job in the future if not a NFL job. 

Being a college head coach in an FBS AQ program is most certainly a step up from being an NFL coordinator.  

I don't know what offensive coordinators in the NFL make but I'm guessing it's 6 figures.  Most FBS AQ head coaches make 7 figures.  

FBS AQ programs in college football are big enough that a job there is roughly equal to the same job in the NFL.  Maybe the NFL is a slight step up but not a big one.  

1) To the thread, I hope Pep stays. I think he was learning and getting better.

2) I am amazed at all the talk of don't be a power running team talk that Pep favors given the events of the game just a few days ago. Just because you have an elite QB doesn't mean you have to throw it all over the field all the time. LeGarrette Blount is still running through the Colts D and they have a pretty good QB. Look at the remaining teams in the playoffs - all have solid running games and three might be described as power running teams.

We don't have an elite qb though.

??? So we dont want to be able to run the ball or stop the run....OK.. Gotchya...I suppose the 49ers, Patriots and Seahawks should change their philosphy as well.

??? So we dont want to be able to run the ball or stop the run....OK.. Gotchya...I suppose the 49ers, Patriots and Seahawks should change their philosphy as well.

The 49ers are barely above average at stopping the run ranking 12th in the league and the Patriots are 29th in the league vs. the run. The top 4 teams vs. the run are Cardinals, Panthers, Jets, Lions. Only one of those even made the playoffs. Not saying you don't want to stop the run, but it's a different NFL today when prioritizing strategies.

The 49ers are barely above average at stopping the run ranking 12th in the league and the Patriots are 29th in the league vs. the run. The top 4 teams vs. the run are Cardinals, Panthers, Jets, Lions. Only one of those even made the playoffs. Not saying you don't want to stop the run, but it's a different NFL today when prioritizing strategies.

would have come in handy Saturday night if the Colts were better at stopping the run.

I dont care what the season statistics are..Im talking about the playoff run and playoffs. Tell me how and what these teams did down the stretch and in the playoffs. I think your stats are scewed because of the beginning of the year. When its time to get serious, there is a serious attitude change. (I'll include Baltimore and last years San Fran team  as well)

I dont care what the season statistics are..Im talking about the playoff run and playoffs. Tell me how and what these teams did down the stretch and in the playoffs. I think your stats are scewed because of the beginning of the year. When its time to get serious, there is a serious attitude change. (I'll include Baltimore and last years San Fran team  as well)

As I said, stopping the run is a good thing, but it's not the final answer in today's NFL. And in answering your question above, I was actually surprised that the facts illustrate this even more. 3 of the last 4 Super Bowl winners in their playoff runs:

Ravens 2012-teams averaged 142 yds per game rushing against them in the playoffs and SB (this avg yards rushing per game- 142 yds) would have ranked them 31st in the NFL this year vs. the run)-in fact the 49ers ran for a whopping 182 yds against them in the SB.

Giants 2011-in their playoff run and SB, teams averaged 111 yds rushing per game against them-(this would have ranked them 18th in the NFL vs. the run per game)

Saints 2009 -teams averaged 122 rushing yds per game during their playoff and SB run. 122 yds rushing per game against them would have ranked them 26th in the NFL during the season this year.

Once again, stopping the run is a good thing, but it can't be the mantra like it once was.

He earned a reprieve from me with a late season push. He finally seemed to figure out what was going on, but there were still some times where I found myself with my face in my palm wondering if the man had just landed from Mars. I am indifferent I guess you could say, but if he does happen to leave, I hope whoever we replace him with lets Luck start running the offense himself. He proved late this season that he is capable of doing so.

That's what today's NFL takes. If you have an elite QB, forget about letting a OC tell him what to do. Eventually that OC is going to get a HC job somewhere and now you're bringing in a new system. Manning, Brady, Rogers, and Brees don't need an offensive coordinator to run their offense. It has almost become a NECESSITY in the NFL to shed the reliance of an OC to be around to tell everyone what to do. Luck has already proved he belongs amongst the group of elite QB's who does more for his offense than any system an OC brings. So lets get above reliance of an OC, and let Luck do what he wants to do.

1) To the thread, I hope Pep stays.  I think he was learning and getting better.

2)  I am amazed at all the talk of don't be a power running team talk that Pep favors given the events of the game just a few days ago. Just because you have an elite QB doesn't mean you have to throw it all over the field all the time.  LeGarrette Blount is still running through the Colts D and they have a pretty good QB.  Look at the remaining teams in the playoffs - all have solid running games and three might be described as power running teams.

I have no problem with the philosophy that you have to be able to run the ball and stop the run.  I have a problem with the philosophy that makes running the ball the primary offense.

I wouldn't be against letting him go if we can bring in a pass heavy offensive coordinator. Pep was really average to bad the first 10 weeks of the season but did good the last 5 weeks until the playoff game when he called too many run plays. I wouldn't mind if he stayed but we could do a lot better then Pep. If he does go we should get someone from the Saints coaching staff.

I didn't love the playcalling early on (some say maybe because of pagano) and looks to me forcing the run game early cost us, i feel like the last games of the season he used the pass to setup the run, and look for opportunities to maximize the best talent of our players ( TY and Luck ) some plays in the KC game were really good, putting them in a position to make plays.

I don't know if it's really worth for him to step down from NFL team anyway, i will like to see how he does next year.

Some truth here!

Me personally the jury is still out on Pep, as the year went on he was IMO better. I like running the ball but our offense works better in the hurry up Andrew seems to flow better & seems to enjoy it! I don't want the offense to have to learn a new offense again, but if Pep left someone mentioned Norv Turner I like that idea. Honestly has Pep been a Head coach at an level. we will see!

I have no problem with the philosophy that you have to be able to run the ball and stop the run.  I have a problem with the philosophy that makes running the ball the primary offense.

Especially when you can't run the ball or aren't productive running the ball. On top of that you stifle the growth of a young QB. I like balance a little of both.