Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pep Hamilton Candidate For Vanderbilt HC Position

Restored

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd honestly be more concerned with Luck and the offense having to pick up their 3rd system in 3 years. QB needs stability to be groomed well.

true, however Pep is gonna get offered a HC job sooner rather than later. So id rather replace him with someone who had no shot at HC but a great OC.

He's a candidate... Nothing biggie. Why would he want to downgrade himself to college again?

When he has a shot to probably be a coach in the big leagues years from now.

Only unsuccessful coaches in the NFL go back to college (*cough*Nick Saban*cough*)

He's a candidate... Nothing biggie. Why would he want to downgrade himself to college again?

When he has a shot to probably be a coach in the big leagues years from now.

Only unsuccessful coaches in the NFL go back to college (*cough*Nick Saban*cough*)

A lot would say being a Head Coach in college, especially a SEC team is a step up from being a coordinator even for a NFL team.

With that said Vanderbilt isn't the best job in the world and if he plays his card right he can probably land a better college job in the future if not a NFL job. 

If Pep leaves, I think you almost have to consider promoting Clyde, if only to give Luck some consistency.

Or Jim Sorgi. Definitively Sorgi. Can't go wrong with Sorgi. Certainly Sorgi.

Nah I'd rather hire Jon Gruden. He seems to have a man crush on Andrew Luck. Because he's always talking good about the Colts. I'm sure he would come out of retirement for the Colts

Meh... If we could get an offensive genius at the OC, I would be all in for Pep's ouster.  If we just get another system guy with no imagination, might as well keep the established continuity and chemistry that Pep and luck have already.  I don't think another offensive scheme would exactly drain Andrew's brain either. Maybe we would get away from the power run game, which we haven't been able to pull off anyway.

I'm indifferent. It comes with the territory of being successful. That said, I'm somewhat confused. How is that Luck's 3rd coordinator in 3 years? I mean numerically, yes, but it's not like when Pep came here Luck had to learn an entirely new offense. He was using a lot of what he did in college. I honestly am not worried about it anyway. Andrew Luck is a VERY intelligent human being and a professional. If it happens, I'm sure Luck and Co. will be able to handle it.

Meh... If we could get an offensive genius at the OC, I would be all in for Pep's ouster.  If we just get another system guy with no imagination, might as well keep the established continuity and chemistry that Pep and luck have already.  I don't think another offensive scheme would exactly drain Andrew's brain either. Maybe we would get away from the power run game, which we haven't been able to pull off anyway.

Took the words right outta my mouth

Let him go. I didn't like the hire when we made it.

All we heard about Andrew during his rookie year was how well he grasped the offense for a rookie.

His 2nd year, we heard that they hired Pep because of Andrews familiarity with his system. Was it really that important that Andrew benefit from a familiar/simple offensive system so much that we had to gamble with a first time NFL OC? I don't think so...

My worry was that Pep's offense from Stanford would not be complex enough to keep defenses honest in the pros. I know some of what I don't know and that the schemes in pro football are leaps and bounds ahead of anything these guys do in college. 

I want to hire a hot shot OC who is more of an Offensive Head Coach if that makes any sense...

Feel free to chime in.. My posts are still limited. 

Nah I'd rather hire Jon Gruden. He seems to have a man crush on Andrew Luck. Because he's always talking good about the Colts. I'm sure he would come out of retirement for the Colts

I doubt you could pay Gruden enough to become an offensive coordinator, a position likely accompanying a pay downgrade.

Vanderbilt is my team!!!!!! Why would they try to do this!? But really I've been paying close attention to this all off season because I love Vandy and ever since James Franklin has left there have been a thousand names tossed around! Their main target right now seems to be Derek Mason! I don't actually think Pep would leave luck for a college gig! Maybe an NFL head coaching job but not college!!!

And Vanderbilt is not as bad as everyone thinks!? 3 bowl games in 3 years!? Wouldn't call that "bottom of barrel in the SEC"

The lack of stability would suck, but if he going to go I want him to leave sooner than later.

If it meant maybe delaying a championship by a year I'd be all for it. Get an OC who can be a great OC for years. Do not stick with mediocrity for stability to only figure out it was a mistake 4/5 years from now.

I don't see how taking that position would benefit him.  As the OC at Stanford he was already in a position to be considered for college HC'ing positions.  By coming back to the NFL and taking the OC of a team that is likely a perennial contender I would think he has his eye on an NFL HC'ing position at some point, or at the very least a HC for an elite college program.

He better not leave. If he does, they better replace him with a WC guy, or else it's just ridiculous.

I hope he doesn't. I liked his play calling in the latter part of the season and he'll only get better in this league.