Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pep taking a subtle shot at Patriots about their cheating scandal?

Dustin

Colts offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton seemed to make a not-so-veiled reference to the practice when he was asked Wednesday about his time on the New York Jets' staff from 2003-05.

"I do know for a fact that it was always a 60-minute chess match," he said. "It was ever-changing looks and disguises and they always tend to find ways to figure out some of your signals."

http://www.indystar.com/story/colts-insider/2014/01/09/colts-offensive-coordinator-pep-hamilton-makes-joking-reference-to-patriots-spygate/4391351/&usg=ALkJrhgD9OGW0OqhcE7u_zH1ABReLUflyA

Thoughts?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brady 10-0 to start his playoff career. Those WERE some very talented, well balanced teams for sure. 7-7 since.

We "know" BB went to extremes to gain advantage and got credit as a Super coach because of success that IS tainted.

A little slap to the jaw now and then is justified. I think PEP is confident in his game plan. Kick his tail PEP!!!

Bill & Brady 7-8 since the cheating scandal has a nice Ring to it.

I got nothing against Brady. He has been Great in his own right!

I watched it and didn't just read the quote so it's a bit easier to interpret it.

He kind of smiled at the end when he mentioned the "always finding a way to get signals" part, which to me shows he WAS taking a slight shot at it.

But to me, he has every right to. This isn't something that's still waiting to be proven, it was proven. The tapes were destroyed out of mercy to BB and his team so that the media and the rest of the country wouldnt of called for his firing and ban from the game.

I watched it and didn't just read the quote so it's a bit easier to interpret it.

He kind of smiled at the end when he mentioned the "always finding a way to get signals" part, which to me shows he WAS taking a slight shot at it.

But to me, he has every right to. This isn't something that's still waiting to be proven, it was proven. The tapes were destroyed out of mercy to BB and his team so that the media and the rest of the country wouldnt of called for his firing and ban from the game.

I kind of disagree. Considering that Pep was nothing but complimentary to their coaching staff and their team for a majority of the press conference, I thought that expression had more to do with realizing how the media might interpret that statement. I don't think he was intentionally referencing it at all.

Howard Mudd was said to be very good at it.

He was the best at it, according to Jimmy Johnson.

I'm a little confused though. Was Hamilton an offensive coach or defensive coach in NY? Spygate was about stealing defensive signals, and offensive play calls have been radioed in to the QB for a long time now. Since 1994, I think. 

So he probably wasn't referencing Spygate or taking a veiled shot... I think it was just a poor choice of words.

The ignorance regarding spygate is overwhelming at times ....

The tapes were destroyed out of mercy to BB and his team so that the media and the rest of the country wouldnt of called for his firing and ban from the game.

What do you think could have been on the tapes? The Patriots never denied anything related to Spygate, and the whole hoopla over the Rams walk-through was proven to be a bogus story.

Not trying to start anything here, I'm just curious what difference it would have made if the NFL had released hours of video of assistant defensive coaches doing their "YMCA" dances on the sidelines.  ;)

Also, there was some video released... I think the reason you didn't see that much of it is because it was completely un-compelling. Like I said, just coaches signaling in plays. 

I kind of disagree. Considering that Pep was nothing but complimentary to their coaching staff and their team for a majority of the press conference, I thought that expression had more to do with realizing how the media might interpret that statement. I don't think he was intentionally referencing it at all.

Then why the wiry kinda smile at the end of it? He knew what he was saying. I don't think it was a cheap shot but he understood the circumstances and the question being asked.

What do you think could have been on the tapes? The Patriots never denied anything related to Spygate, and the whole hoopla over the Rams walk-through was proven to be a bogus story.

Not trying to start anything here, I'm just curious what difference it would have made if the NFL had released hours of video of assistant defensive coaches doing their "YMCA" dances on the sidelines.  ;)

Also, there was some video released... I think the reason you didn't see that much of it is because it was completely un-compelling. Like I said, just coaches signaling in plays. 

I think there could of been lots more than what was revealed on just the Rams walkthrough tape. Football is a game of inches and timing. Every team is talented and has players capable of making plays at any time. And if those players know where an offense is going or doing based on a signal they picked up ILLEGALLY, they can key off on the play and make even the best of offenses look silly, no matter if they are more or less talented. If I know your plays, I have a better chance of stopping you.

You have to look at the sports world as a whole with Goodell destroying the tapes. The NFL has a image to maintain. It is now the only sport in America that really hasn't be marred by some sort of cheating or fixing scandal. (Soccer has its ref fixing scandal of over 600 matches worldwide, MLB has its steroid issues with past and present players [HOFers to boot] , NBA had ref fixing and betting scandals). Had the sporting world gotten to see ALL of the footage, they may have seen a lot more than just walkthroughs, possibly prompting the general public to consider the NFL to be in the same category as its fellow MLB and NBA sport leagues. This would of put a HUGE damper on the league's image as other scandals have done to other sports. But, Goodell destroyed the tapes, sparring not only the Patriots but the NFL as well.

Let me ask you this, if there wasn't anything to see other than "coaches doing the YMCA" as you put it, why not show us ALL of it? There's nothing to lose right? Why the HUGE fine of $500,000 and draft picks?

Then why the wiry kinda smile at the end of it? He knew what he was saying. I don't think it was a cheap shot but he understood the circumstances and the question being asked.

I think there could of been lots more than what was revealed on just the Rams walkthrough tape. Football is a game of inches and timing. Every team is talented and has players capable of making plays at any time. And if those players know where an offense is going or doing based on a signal they picked up ILLEGALLY, they can key off on the play and make even the best of offenses look silly, no matter if they are more or less talented. If I know your plays, I have a better chance of stopping you.

You have to look at the sports world as a whole with Goodell destroying the tapes. The NFL has a image to maintain. It is now the only sport in America that really hasn't be marred by some sort of cheating or fixing scandal. (Soccer has its ref fixing scandal of over 600 matches worldwide, MLB has its steroid issues with past and present players [HOFers to boot] , NBA had ref fixing and betting scandals). Had the sporting world gotten to see ALL of the footage, they may have seen a lot more than just walkthroughs, possibly prompting the general public to consider the NFL to be in the same category as its fellow MLB and NBA sport leagues. This would of put a HUGE damper on the league's image as other scandals have done to other sports. But, Goodell destroyed the tapes, sparring not only the Patriots but the NFL as well.

Let me ask you this, if there wasn't anything to see other than "coaches doing the YMCA" as you put it, why not show us ALL of it? There's nothing to lose right? Why the HUGE fine of $500,000 and draft picks?

First of all, there was no Rams walkthrough tape.

Second, we don't know what were on those tapes. Yes, the NFL has an image to maintain. Perhaps the tapes showed other teams taping.

Third, if what you believe is true, Belichick surely would have been suspended, just like Sean Payton was for Bountygate. The severe punishment was because Belichick dropped a big turd on the new commissioner's head.

a non story

I didn't read spygate into that at all. I think he was more giving credit to their preparation and football acumen.

Serious question: Do either of you dismiss the possible Spygate connection because you dismiss the seriousness/impact of Spygate, or do you just not think Hamilton was making a nod toward it at all?

He was the best at it, according to Jimmy Johnson.

I'm a little confused though. Was Hamilton an offensive coach or defensive coach in NY? Spygate was about stealing defensive signals, and offensive play calls have been radioed in to the QB for a long time now. Since 1994, I think. 

So he probably wasn't referencing Spygate or taking a veiled shot... I think it was just a poor choice of words.

Hamilton was an offensive assistant the entire time he was with the Jets: QC, QBs, WRs.

I do think he was referencing Spygate, albeit in a joking, tongue-in-cheek manner. So while you're right that there's no real connection, it doesn't really matter, because it was a joke.

Hamilton was an offensive assistant the entire time he was with the Jets: QC, QBs, WRs.

I do think he was referencing Spygate, albeit in a joking, tongue-in-cheek manner. So while you're right that there's no real connection, it doesn't really matter, because it was a joke.

i think he was joking about it .

First of all, there was no Rams walkthrough tape.

Second, we don't know what were on those tapes. Yes, the NFL has an image to maintain. Perhaps the tapes showed other teams taping.

Third, if what you believe is true, Belichick surely would have been suspended, just like Sean Payton was for Bountygate. The severe punishment was because Belichick dropped a big turd on the new commissioner's head.

You are grasping at straws here.

Of course we don't know what's on the tapes, but like I said if its "no big deal" as everyone makes it out to be, why not release the tapes to the public? If there's nothing to hide, why destroy it?

The punishment for the crime is irrelevant to what the crime was itself.