Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

another argument added to the manning luck comparison today

CR91

Luck has a better TEAM built around him.

I'm not sure about that.  We have a 20th ranked rushing attack, a 20th ranked defense, and 2 of our main receivers weren't even on the roster at midseason.    I know Peyton had better teams then this one.

I'm not sure about that. We have a 20th ranked rushing attack, a 20th ranked defense, and 2 of our main receivers weren't even on the roster at midseason. I know Peyton had better teams then this one.

2010 colts were worst than this team 19 players on IR and we lost bcuz of Jacob Lacey... you guys remember Jacob Lacey haha

OK. What if the Colts beat the Patriots next week. Something Manning's Colts couldn't do for a while. I know there would be a lot of talk about that.

Probably so, but I don't really put a lot of stock in story lines.

Sometimes, one player wills the team to victory. Today, Luck got a ton of help from his teammates to bail him out, then he helped bring it home. He deserves credit, but I don't care about how he stacks up to Manning and his legacy.

OK. What if the Colts beat the Patriots next week. Something Manning's Colts couldn't do for a while. I know there would be a lot of talk about that.

I know you remember the times Peyton came through and bailed us out only to have the defense or mike v. Fail him.. This time luck was not failed on by the D like manning was a lot of times

One is great.  One will be great.  Both will finish as long time Colts. 

Even if you were to compare the two, it's apples to oranges.  Luck may end up with more championships and still not be better than Manning.  It doesn't lessen the achievements.

To me, Manning is simply the greatest of all times.  Watch how the QB position is played today and you can track it right back to Peyton Manning.  He revolutionized the position, taking it to the next level.

Yeah, no doubt about it.

First of all , you can't compare the Qb's as manning is near the end and will go down as top 1,2 or 3. Luck is just beginning. If you want to compare the two guys after their first two years , I probably would go with Andrew. long those lines , I would say that there is no way the 2013 Colts have more talent than the 1999 Manning led team. That O Line was heads and shoulders better and you had Edge , Marvin and Dilger. Defense featured Peterson , Bennett , Bratzke, Pool , Belser and Ellis Johnson. No way in anyones wildest imaginations could anyone say Luck is surrounded by more talent than Manning was in his 2nd year.

Ohhh.. I'm talking about the comment that Luck is surrounded by more talent than manning was.

Peyton is great. Luck is on his way to being great. Best part is... they both gave/are giving the Colts their best years.

If a Luck led Colts team goes into Foxboro and beats the Patriots... so what? The Patriots NOW are not the same Patriots we grew a rivalry with in the Peyton era.

There are all kind of different ways to be a fan of the sport. I choose to celebrate individual accomplishments instead of contrasting and comparing them. Why should anyone feel as if they had to choose?

45 points in the playoffs with this young offense when we were down 38-10? Please.....this was a game for the ages. We saw nothing like this from Peyton Manning early playoff games. It's not even hating on Peyton......you just don't SEE THIS kinda stuff very often, what we witnessed tonight. Enjoy it.....

This was a special special game and was always going to be a very special era.

I'm not sure about that. We have a 20th ranked rushing attack, a 20th ranked defense, and 2 of our main receivers weren't even on the roster at midseason. I know Peyton had better teams then this one.

Re-read the original post. Luck has had the better TEAM his first two years, than Peyton, and probably will his entire career here.

It takes luck his second year to get a playoff win it took Peyton 6 years

You did the same thing with your Freeney & Mathis thread yesterday. Why compare the two? It inherently lessens the accomplishments of one of them. Just enjoy the fact that Manning was here and made Indy a relevant football town. And enjoy what Luck is doing now because if he is not great already, he will be very soon.

I thought we were going to describe how poorly their defenses played...but then in the second half the defense was lights out. NEVER seen a defense in Indy shut down ANYONE for a half like that when Peyton was here (playoffs). Lets be honest....Luck got picked up by his team today....BIG TIME. He had some of the worst throws he has made all season...3 terrible ints...the story of the day was that his team didn't give up..they kept making plays. Mathis didn't give up....EVER...Redding and company didn't give up....the backups Gordy came in and played hard....imagine our backups in the Peyton days. Rogers makes an incredible athletic play for Luck...and TY just ran past everyone. It was a great team win....something that Peyton could have used a little more of....and I think the one thing that helped Luck the most that Peyton has never done was his ability to move...he ran with purpose....that helped him the most....over came a lot. To me they are completely different types of QBs. Luck doesn't have near the accuracy of Peyton but his feet buys him more time and both have an incredible will to win. I think they are both going to have HOF careers but in different ways. We got very "lucky" yesterday....your qb throws 3 terrible picks we turn the ball over...if KC didn't lose half their players we likely lose the game. It was a great come back...but if Luck hadn't played so terrible ....he wouldn't have had to play so great....lol...you know what I'm saying...but he did play great in the big moments....reminded me of 05 AFCCG.

You did the same thing with your Freeney & Mathis thread yesterday. Why compare the two? It inherently lessens the accomplishments of one of them. Just enjoy the fact that Manning was here and made Indy a relevant football town. And enjoy what Luck is doing now because if he is not great already, he will be very soon.

Oh no this thread is misinterpreted. Im saying this is what the media will use for their comparison of the two

Luck has a better TEAM built around him.

You can't be serious?

Manning at this point in his career had players like Edge, Marvin Harrison, Jeff Saturday, Marcus Pollard, Kent Dilger and soon after Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark and Dwight Freeney.  And yet he was losing 42-0 in the Wildcard round of the playoffs to the lowly New York Jets while in his 5th year in the league!

The Colts of the earlier 2000s were a more talented roster than this current group. (Remember Reggie Wayne's not playing.)

The difference here is Luck. PERIOD.

You can't be serious?

Manning at this point in his career had players like Edge, Marvin Harrison, Jeff Saturday, Marcus Pollard, Kent Dilger and soon after Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark and Dwight Freeney. And yet he was losing 42-0 in the Wildcard round of the playoffs to the lowly New York Jets while in his 5th year in the league!

The Colts of the earlier 2000s were a more talented roster than this current group. (Remember Reggie Wayne's not playing.)

The difference here is Luck. PERIOD.

Clark and Freeney were not part of the Colts at this point in Peyton's career and neither was Reggie.

You're giving way to much credit to Luck. Last year the Colts were giving up roughly 19ppg last year in their 11 wins. In their losses? 25+ ppg and coincidentally those were Lucks toilet games.

So case in point the Colts have a playoff victory within their first two years and 22 victories yet the 99'/00' Colts had 16 victories.

Peyton had the better team? Rrrriighhhht

Clark and Freeney were not part of the Colts at this point in Peyton's career and neither was Reggie.

You're giving way to much credit to Luck. Last year the Colts were giving up roughly 19ppg last year in their 11 wins. In their losses? 25+ ppg and coincidentally those were Lucks toilet games.

So case in point the Colts have a playoff victory within their first two years and 22 victories yet the 99'/00' Colts had 16 victories.

Peyton had the better team? Rrrriighhhht

I wasn't making a year 2 to year 2 comparison. I was comparing where Luck has this team now in his second year compared to where Manning had the Colts in years 1999-2003.  As I mentioned before, this roster is not more talented player to player than the Colts of the early 2000s. 

For the better part of Peyton Manning's first 5 years, he had a better team around him (especially at the skill positions) than Luck has had this past year. (This includes a 1999 team that went 13-3 and was a #2 seed.) Yet Manning did not win a playoff game until year 6. (2003).

I thought we were going to describe how poorly their defenses played...but then in the second half the defense was lights out. NEVER seen a defense in Indy shut down ANYONE for a half like that when Peyton was here (playoffs). Lets be honest....Luck got picked up by his team today....BIG TIME. He had some of the worst throws he has made all season...3 terrible ints...the story of the day was that his team didn't give up..they kept making plays. Mathis didn't give up....EVER...Redding and company didn't give up....the backups Gordy came in and played hard....imagine our backups in the Peyton days. Rogers makes an incredible athletic play for Luck...and TY just ran past everyone. It was a great team win....something that Peyton could have used a little more of....and I think the one thing that helped Luck the most that Peyton has never done was his ability to move...he ran with purpose....that helped him the most....over came a lot. To me they are completely different types of QBs. Luck doesn't have near the accuracy of Peyton but his feet buys him more time and both have an incredible will to win. I think they are both going to have HOF careers but in different ways. We got very "lucky" yesterday....your qb throws 3 terrible picks we turn the ball over...if KC didn't lose half their players we likely lose the game. It was a great come back...but if Luck hadn't played so terrible ....he wouldn't have had to play so great....lol...you know what I'm saying...but he did play great in the big moments....reminded me of 05 AFCCG.

It because we are no longer playing that bend but don't break unless they are close to the endzone, Tampa 2 cover no one crap anymore

First of all , you can't compare the Qb's as manning is near the end and will go down as top 1,2 or 3. Luck is just beginning. If you want to compare the two guys after their first two years , I probably would go with Andrew. long those lines , I would say that there is no way the 2013 Colts have more talent than the 1999 Manning led team. That O Line was heads and shoulders better and you had Edge , Marvin and Dilger. Defense featured Peterson , Bennett , Bratzke, Pool , Belser and Ellis Johnson. No way in anyones wildest imaginations could anyone say Luck is surrounded by more talent than Manning was in his 2nd year.

Ohhh.. I'm talking about the comment that Luck is surrounded by more talent than manning was.

I completely agree. How anyone can say Luck is surrounded by more talent in his 1st 2 yrs. than Manning was is beyond me. It's really not even remotely close. Manning had far more talent around him in his 1st 2 seasons. I think the main difference is the coaching. We have a coaching staff that knows how to make adjustments during the game. Jim Mora was a horrible coach IMO.

I completely agree. How anyone can say Luck is surrounded by more talent in his 1st 2 yrs. than Manning was is beyond me. It's really not even remotely close. Manning had far more talent around him in his 1st 2 seasons. I think the main difference is the coaching. We have a coaching staff that knows how to make adjustments during the game. Jim Mora was a horrible coach IMO.

Some posters saying that probably weren't even  fans in 1998. Fact of the matter is Manning was not as good as Luck in years 1 and 2. But Manning evolved into the greatest QB in history as far as reading defenses and knowing pre snap where his ultimate match up is. Add that to a quick release and great accuracy and you have a top 3 QB in the history of the game. So , IMO anyway , Luck is better now than Manning was in year two , but he has to keep getting better to match up with Manning when all is said and done. 

Do I dare add that Luck might end up to be a little more clutch in the big games than Manning ? 

Well, they are both a bit 'goofy'. There I compared them......

That should be it's own thread. Also, who has better hair (neither). No question about better commercials.

I know the two will be linked forever. Favre and Rodgers still are. The media will want that story line to last. Personally, I don't see why it matters.

Some posters saying that probably weren't even  fans in 1998. Fact of the matter is Manning was not as good as Luck in years 1 and 2. But Manning evolved into the greatest QB in history as far as reading defenses and knowing pre snap where his ultimate match up is. Add that to a quick release and great accuracy and you have a top 3 QB in the history of the game. So , IMO anyway , Luck is better now than Manning was in year two , but he has to keep getting better to match up with Manning when all is said and done. 

Do I dare add that Luck might end up to be a little more clutch in the big games than Manning ? 

Again we agree. I also think Luck is better than Manning 2 yrs. into their respective careers. Manning is one of the all time greats but has always been mediocre come playoff time. Why that is, is beyond me...I never understood it when he was here. Luck seems to relish being the underdog, being in clutch situations, and coming from behind. There's nothing that rattles him and that is the reason why I think Luck could turn out to have far more playoff career success than Manning. When Manning got rattled, he just kept getting worse and couldn't(to steal a phrase from Luck) "flush it" and move on.

It goes beyond the skill positions. Everyone seems to keep focusing on Peyton having Marvin, Edge, Reggie etc... I would take this defense ANY day over what Peyton had has first few years. They have bad streaks like any other team but early on in Peyton's career, those defenses were down right horrible.

As good as Marvin was he NEVER had a game like TY did in the playoffs. He was one of the greatest, and in no way am I putting TY above him, but Luck has some VERY good players around him offensively and, especially defensively, early on moreso than Peyton had.

It goes beyond the skill positions. Everyone seems to keep focusing on Peyton having Marvin, Edge, Reggie etc... I would take this defense ANY day over what Peyton had has first few years. They have bad streaks like any other team but early on in Peyton's career, those defenses were down right horrible.

As good as Marvin was he NEVER had a game like TY did in the playoffs. He was one of the greatest, and in no way am I putting TY above him, but Luck has some VERY good players around him offensively and, especially defensively, early on moreso than Peyton had.

I agree this defense is a lot better than Peyton time defense. With this D we can stop run and pass when needed. With Peyton time D we can only play with a lead