Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck destined for Manningitis

Rafiki

I'm beginning to fear Luck is going to be in the same shoes as Manning in one regard.

This team is not very good and most likely will be just good enough to make the playoffs and promptly lose in first round again.  Just like Manning, Luck will be good enough to mask flaws and make it the playoffs where the team won't be as good as their record and lose.

Then the dreaded can't win the big game comments will start.

Hopefully the Colts can get a good innovative offense mind who can come up with some creative ways to maximize their best players talents.  If not every playoff game like with Peyton everything will depend on Luck.

The Manning cant win the big game should have died in 2006, Luck is in his second year with not a lot of talent(Its either injured talent or still raw or marginal talent) to fall back on If he makes any mistakes, add in other players mistakes and you get games like you had tonight

Luck is only in his second year.....and this is still a rebuilding team with 5 starters on IR and a number of square pegs trying to fit in round holes. We should get our offensive line this off season......and hopefully some semblance of depth. I don't think we get our WR1 through FA.

Have you looked at the guys we have sitting on IR?  We have one heck of a set of skill position players there.  Colts proved earlier this season what they can do when they are healthy.  They aren't healthy that's a major part of the problem.  No one wants to say that because they don't want to come across as blaming the injuries but sometimes this amount of injuries as early in the season as they happened ARE the reason.

They are also a second year into pretty much a total roster over haul.  This isn't close to a finished project yet.  I'll keep saying it.  I look at any winning the Colts have done over the past two years as almost an added bonus.  Irsay has even said he didn't expect the Colts to be this good this soon.  Had the Colts thought they would be they would have kept Peyton Manning. 

I was thinking the same thing today. Irsay was all about "buildin the monster" and all that. We are a one and done playoff team, only getting in as a formality for winning the division and all that. Whoever comes to Indy will have a pleasant stay and bounce us from the playoffs, there is no doubt. We are not good.

I dunno the team seems awful similar to those Manning had...no defense, no special teams... etc

Unless the team finds a replacement for Reggie Wayne, this team is not taking that next big step. Free agency is our best bet along with draft additions.

I'd rather have spent a 2nd rounder on Josh Gordon than the 1st rounder on Trent Richardson but no one knew Wayne, who had been rock solid, was going to go down. It is what it is.

People so easily forget about the last few Super Bowl Champs, how they came along this time of the year in the regular season. I mean look at the 2007 and 2011 Giants or what about the Ravens last year? They all had serious mess around before they took off for a playoff ride. Let's just hope that our guys are smart enough to recognize the need for a change in the way they are prepearing and approaching the games.

The Manning cant win the big game should have died in 2006, Luck is in his second year with not a lot of talent(Its either injured talent or still raw or marginal talent) to fall back on If he makes any mistakes, add in other players mistakes and you get games like you had tonight

Exactly Gavin......or the final 4 games of 2010...which were win-or-be-eliminated

Folks want their story-line confirmed......when Manning wins a big game (over undefeated KC on Nov. 17) its ignored

..when they lost at NE on fumbles..its his fault.

I would take Peyton Manning's career for Andrew Luck...Promise me Manning-like success for Andrew....for 10 years

If we beat Tennessee we can get ready for the post-season and a match against KC or Baltimore in Indy.

KC isn't scary

Where does this rebuild thing come from ? Not from the owner. He has made it very clear he has spent his money to win now. He is the one going out there with pictures of himself with a blue Mohawk , and demanding two rings. I never heard anything from the owner about a Stalinist type of five year plan. He has made it clear he wants to win now. If you say you are still in rebuild mode, than the 11-5 record last year was a fluke. You are in contention for a division title and playoffs for the second straight year. You beat the Broncos, Seahawks, and 49ers . That is not the sign of a rebuilding team, therefore it is a bogus excuse.

I'm beginning to fear Luck is going to be in the same shoes as Manning in one regard.

This team is not very good and most likely will be just good enough to make the playoffs and promptly lose in first round again.  Just like Manning, Luck will be good enough to mask flaws and make it the playoffs where the team won't be as good as their record and lose.

Hopefully the Colts can get a good innovative offense mind who can come up with some creative ways to maximize their best players talents.  If not every playoff game like with Peyton everything will depend on Luck.

Yep, that's it...everyone, let's just throw in the towel.  We suck.  We haven't won a game all season, we have no hopes of the playoffs.  Every other team in the league has destroyed each other and have the best players. 

Irsay, just leave Indianapolis.  The fans have surrendered!

Where does this rebuild thing come from ? Not from the owner. He has made it very clear he has spent his money to win now. He is the one going out there with pictures of himself with a blue Mohawk , and demanding two rings. I never heard anything from the owner about a Stalinist type of five year plan. He has made it clear he wants to win now. If you say you are still in rebuild mode, than the 11-5 record last year was a fluke. You are in contention for a division title and playoffs for the second straight year. You beat the Broncos, Seahawks, and 49ers . That is not the sign of a rebuilding team, therefore it is a bogus excuse.

JMO

When you have a first (full) year HC, new coordinators, new players, new system, etc, etc, etc...

These are all signs of a rebuild. We are still missing pieces of the puzzle, O-line and WR are the most evident. Regardless of what any member of the staff wants to call it, we are in the middle of a rebuild. Do you expect the owner/staff to say "look, we're rebuilding and we don't expect much for the next three years" ?!

I don't care how much money you spend, it's a process, and we're still a few pieces short.

I won't won't make excuses for this team. Everyone in the NFL has to deal with injuries. But the loss of Reggie Wayne and Toler has been significant. That still doesn't explain, in my opinion, why they are continuing to come out of the gate looking terrible in each of the last 4 games or so. In my opinion it's a combination of things and I'm starting to question this pep Hamilton offensive philosophy but I will say this, pep's offense runs better with Reggie Wayne. Lets not forget we lost Dwayne Allen also.

Have you looked at the guys we have sitting on IR?  We have one heck of a set of skill position players there.  Colts proved earlier this season what they can do when they are healthy.  They aren't healthy that's a major part of the problem.  No one wants to say that because they don't want to come across as blaming the injuries but sometimes this amount of injuries as early in the season as they happened ARE the reason.

They are also a second year into pretty much a total roster over haul.  This isn't close to a finished project yet.  I'll keep saying it.  I look at any winning the Colts have done over the past two years as almost an added bonus.  Irsay has even said he didn't expect the Colts to be this good this soon.  Had the Colts thought they would be they would have kept Peyton Manning. 

No kidding. Our IR/frequent injury list alone is a pretty darn good NFL roster haha. Get those guys back healthy next year and this team should be very competitive again.

For the love of all that is Holy...

While the injuries to skill position players can explain a lot of our offensive problems, the defense has to be fixed.

We've been playing Cassius Vaughn way too much for a player of his lack of caliber.  We even put him up against Fitz which I can't understand.

On top of that Davis has not been good since we played the Bronco's.  He's gotten burned for a lot of long TD's.  I don't know if it's because he's too aggressive and going for picks or what but he's been burned.  

Mathis is not generating the pressure that he was earlier in the year.  Werner has yet to make a impact.

And on the days when this team does decide to play at all they only play for one half.  

You know it's only Lucks second year right?

Talk to me in 10 years

I wish I could find my Coltpower "We're Spoiled Beyond Belief" post from years ago.  In case you didn't know, the road to success is ALWAYS under construction.  This applies to sports, work, and life.

We're going to win our division by a sizable margin and should go undefeated in division play.  I don't see any "Manningitis" - Luck will win his 1st playoff game earlier than Peyton, will retire with a better playoff record, and will have one or two SB rings.

When January hits, how many of the 12 playoff teams from last season will be able to make it again this year?  I only see six.  Before the season started, most of us would consider this season a success by winning the division and winning a playoff game.  We have to make due with what we have this season.  This franchise is headed to the playoffs again, still has a bright future, and alot of you are throwing in the towel. 

JMO

When you have a first (full) year HC, new coordinators, new players, new system, etc, etc, etc...

These are all signs of a rebuild. We are still missing pieces of the puzzle, O-line and WR are the most evident. Regardless of what any member of the staff wants to call it, we are in the middle of a rebuild. Do you expect the owner/staff to say "look, we're rebuilding and we don't expect much for the next three years" ?!

I don't care how much money you spend, it's a process, and we're still a few pieces short.

I hear what you say, but I'm just saying your owner doesn't view this as a rebuilding process this year. He wants results now.

The guy leads the league!  THE LEAGUE IN SACKS!  And you complain about him?  SMH!

:scratch:

Not really complaining, Mathis has been the best player on defense by far.  

But he's not generating the pressure he was earlier in the season.  

We clearly need more pass rushers or something because Palmer spent most of the day in the pocket throwing to whoever he felt like behind one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL.

That won't happen as long as Luck is on his rookie contract. Now, when he signs the big contract that is inevitable, they will have trouble keep great players around him. Right now, it should not be a problem at all.  :36dancing:

If things don't improve (OL, RBs, WRs) Luck might not want to sign again after his rookie contract is up.

If the Colts let Pagano choose the draft picks and FAs, he will take D player after D player after D player....because that's where he comes from and that's what he knows....and right now he knows 'not much' for a HC, just learning on the job...not a good preparer, not a good motivator, just a friend of every player.