Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

pagano is too soft

jwilli69

I don't know if Pagano is that good of a coach. I know the guys love him. I know i really like him as a person. I just haven't been impresed yet. He's been extremely lucky. No excuse for getting whooped like that at home. That's ridiculous. We could easily be like 2-7 right now, honestly. Just havne't been impressed with Pagano's ability to adjust or build either unit yet.

Oy vey...

Every team gets beat. Sometimes in resounding fashion. But you say they could easily be 2-7. Isn't the fact that they are 6-3 a sign that they are doing something right in the coaching dept? Also you question adjustments. Before yesterday they had out scored opponents by 50 some odd points. Isn't that a sign of some pretty good in game adjustments?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oy vey...

Every team gets beat. Sometimes in resounding fashion. But you say they could easily be 2-7. Isn't the fact that they are 6-3 a sign that they are doing something right in the coaching dept? Also you question adjustments. Before yesterday they had out scored opponents by 50 some odd points. Isn't that a sign of some pretty good in game adjustments?

Oh no when the Colts do good it's because of the players remember? But when they do bad, it's bad coaching.

DHB and REED should be cut after this game. DHB hasn't caught balls hitting his hands all season and Reed keeps taking the ball out when he has no reason to and he is nothing special.

Phase 1: Have Luck throw 2x as much to make fans happy, but remove 2 of his targets from the team, also to make fans happy.

Phase 2: ?????

Phase 3: Super Bowl

Sorry, but I think there are some holes in that strategy.

DHB and REED should be cut after this game. DHB hasn't caught balls hitting his hands all season and Reed keeps taking the ball out when he has no reason to and he is nothing special. Satele should not be the starter at center, maybe Mclynn but even then, he is marginal and should not be stRting at RG. You can be sure if there was a tough coach here, these changes would have been made already and you live with those changes but DHB has to get cut.

This is a terrible team that has been fortunate to win games with come backs, its not well coached.

Recycled Tony Dungy thread.

It's clear Cuck's outlook changed since is battle. He doesn't have the fire in the eyes, only a whimper. He needs to get Larry Bird in here because this team is S O F T

Wow - so disrespectful.

I wonder if you would say that in person. I'm not asking and I'm not saying you wouldn't - its just at the end of the day this is a game called football - but it seems like you are saying he is soft because he almost died.

Would you be ok with someone saying that about your dad?

Can't stand when Chuck tells the players "you're champions and have the heart of a Lion." uh, you haven't won anything yet and players with hearts of Lions don't get smashed by any team 38-8, let alone the Rams.

The Ravens lost by 30 to the Texans last year and the Giants lost by 25 in 2011.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, November 14, 2013 - inflammatory
Hidden by Nadine, November 14, 2013 - inflammatory

Can't stand when Chuck tells the players "you're champions and have the heart of a Lion." uh, you haven't won anything yet and players with hearts of Lions don't get smashed by any team 38-8, let alone the Rams.

I wish I were stupid. Care to share any?

You know, as Go said above me, I never cease to be amazed. But calling Pagano soft, is the most off-base, inaccurate, misleading, and any other description I can't think of right now than I have ever heard expressed here.

I will simply choose to believe that the OP was temporarily overtaken by emotions.

You know, as Go said above me, I never cease to be amazed. But calling Pagano soft, is the most off-base, inaccurate, misleading, and any other description I can't think of right now than I have ever heard expressed here.

I will simply choose to believe that the OP was temporarily overtaken by emotions.

I was not overtaken by emotion, I still stand firm on my stance, Pagano is too soft at this point in time. We shall see how things play out and maybe it's by deign for a young team, idk, but he isn't seemingly hard enough on these kids to keep the nose to the grindstone for the full 60 minutes nor has he wowed me with holding his coaches accountable for such slow sloppy starts. If he continues this same approach and we struggle off and on, he is gonna get replaced. For his sake, I hope he succeeds, he genuinely seems like a really great guy but he can't be so passive as a NFL head coach. It's my opinion not gospel, why is that so difficult to accept? I don't say your opinion is *ic or those who have a different opinion of what they think. It's a message board with all kinds of different opinions, some way more radical than the next guy but that's what message boards are for, opinions of their team/players.

Pagano is soft-spoken but I don't think he is soft.  I think with losing he will get much more coarse and agitated with people.  You can only be a players coach for so long then the honeymoon is over and I think he will get Bill Cohwerish at times.  He will start sounding like Kevin Wilson (IU) and start beatin' on some helmets and buttocks.  Give him some time to accumulate some losses, which, in turn, will allow him to mature and accumulate hard-assishness.  

Reed is a 9 time Pro Bowler and probably the best free safety to play the game, that said, he is showing his age. I just hope he uses this as an opportunity to tighten up his game and comes back strong with whoever signs him.

Welcome to the board. I like your upbeat attitude. We need as much of that as we can get. Carry on.

Pagano beat Cancer.  You don't beat Cancer by being "soft".  If you don't like Pagano fine that's your right.  If you don't think he's a good football coach again fine and you can find legit reasons to support that point of view.  However, I am over this anytime people don't like a coach he's "soft" stuff.  Fans did it with Dungy when we lost, they did it with Caldwell, and now they are doing it with Pagano.  The truth is people don't like losing and want to lash out with their frustration and blame someone and tend to say things that aren't really true just to spit out some anger. 

Truth be told I think fans says coaches are soft because the coaches aren't screaming and calling players name and have a mini melt down like posters do on this forum when we lose thus he must be soft.  They aren't soft they just have to figure out to get these guys to come back and work harder the next week.  You don't do that by tearing into them when they don't do something well.  Think back to when you were in school if you screwed up in school did you listen to a teacher when they were trying to teach you something if they were screaming at you, insulting you, and just in general losing their mind or did you respond better to the guy who let you know he was upset but then took the extra time to sit down and work with you?  That's what a good coach does. 

Now can a good blow up get people's attention?  Sure, however, it's generally best saved for the lockerroom and you can only play that card so many times before players just stop listening to you because they are sick of getting yelled at.  You can play it even less when you are dealing with professional athletes who are grown men and in some cases are much more valuable to the team than the coach is and they know it. 

Reed is a 9 time Pro Bowler and probably the best free safety to play the game, that said, he is showing his age. I just hope he uses this as an opportunity to tighten up his game and comes back strong with whoever signs him.

Best?  Ehh...I dunno.  He is up there.  It's not fair because guys like Rod Woodson and Ronnie Lott played substantial time as FS and did some of their best work as FS.  I'll give him top 5...maybe even top 3.  Tough to choose between him, the two guys I'd already mentioned, Darren Sharper and Paul Krause.  Woodson #1 IMO. 

If coaches ought to be fired for a team that was projected to be below average but sits at 6-3...

If players should be cut because fans don't like them...

perhaps any poster who makes a few dumb or irrational or poorly supported or plain wrong statements ought to be removed from this forum.

I guess that would render this forum a ghost town, though... :)

If coaches ought to be fired for a team that was projected to be below average but sits at 6-3...

If players should be cut because fans don't like them...

perhaps any poster who makes a few dumb or irrational or poorly supported or plain wrong statements ought to be removed from this forum.

I guess that would render this forum a ghost town, though... :)

Nobody projected us to be below average..

I was not overtaken by emotion, I still stand firm on my stance, Pagano is too soft at this point in time. We shall see how things play out and maybe it's by deign for a young team, idk, but he isn't seemingly hard enough on these kids to keep the nose to the grindstone for the full 60 minutes nor has he wowed me with holding his coaches accountable for such slow sloppy starts. If he continues this same approach and we struggle off and on, he is gonna get replaced. For his sake, I hope he succeeds, he genuinely seems like a really great guy but he can't be so passive as a NFL head coach. It's my opinion not gospel, why is that so difficult to accept? I don't say your opinion is *ic or those who have a different opinion of what they think. It's a message board with all kinds of different opinions, some way more radical than the next guy but that's what message boards are for, opinions of their team/players.

You say you weren't over taken by emotion, but do you really think it was a logical statement?  If you were the GM would you really cut guys for having a bad game or two, if they were giving it their all?  If so, you wouldn't have much of a team left and the guys remaining wouldn't exactly be thrilled to be there. 

Luck probably had the worst game of his career Sunday.  Should Pagano be hard on him?  These guys are adults, they're not high school or college players.  This is their job.  They all know that their careers are short and there's always someone trying to take their job from them.   

What I'm trying to distinguish is the difference of being 'hard' on guys and having them prepared.  Obviously, the team wasn't prepared.  Do you really think cutting guys makes the rest of them better prepared? 

Like I said in an earlier post, I feel I know you.  You know a lot more about the game than how your opening post represented you.  I get your passion, it came through.  But you have to admit you were more blowing off steam than making a valid point, right?

Whatt? really?? All I heard was 8-8 to 10-6. Never < 7-9

From my recollection, the estimates of anything over .500 were definitely the outliers... until after the SF game. I think that game changed about as many minds as the Rams game did in the other direction.

Pagano beat Cancer.  You don't beat Cancer by being "soft".  If you don't like Pagano fine that's your right.  If you don't think he's a good football coach again fine and you can find legit reasons to support that point of view.  However, I am over this anytime people don't like a coach he's "soft" stuff.  Fans did it with Dungy when we lost, they did it with Caldwell, and now they are doing it with Pagano.  The truth is people don't like losing and want to lash out with their frustration and blame someone and tend to say things that aren't really true just to spit out some anger. 

Truth be told I think fans says coaches are soft because the coaches aren't screaming and calling players name and have a mini melt down like posters do on this forum when we lose thus he must be soft.  They aren't soft they just have to figure out to get these guys to come back and work harder the next week.  You don't do that by tearing into them when they don't do something well.  Think back to when you were in school if you screwed up in school did you listen to a teacher when they were trying to teach you something if they were screaming at you, insulting you, and just in general losing their mind or did you respond better to the guy who let you know he was upset but then took the extra time to sit down and work with you?  That's what a good coach does.

Now can a good blow up get people's attention?  Sure, however, it's generally best saved for the lockerroom and you can only play that card so many times before players just stop listening to you because they are sick of getting yelled at.  You can play it even less when you are dealing with professional athletes who are grown men and in some cases are much more valuable to the team than the coach is and they know it.

I don't say he is soft because he isn't screaming and yelling on the side lines, I say this because he isn't holding players (and position coaches) seemingly accountable. Don't cut the players who are not making the plays they should but darn it, quit strating them or put them on the bench. There is absolutely zero reason that Reed should be allowed back on the field after running it out of the endzone multiple times and only getting tonhe 6 yard line and this is in multiple games this year. There is no reason for coach not to take a shot off the bow and start any other receiver instead of DHB, he doesn't catch the ball in nearly every game this season.

Now you can call it emotional or irrational or *ic or whatever but the fact remains, DHB drops almost every ball that hits his hands and Reed keeps bringing the ball out of the endzone and losing us yards unnecessarily. So if the player keeps showing a pattern over 9 games, when do you expect a coach to do something different? I would have a different opinion on DHB at game 9 if he had make some catches over the course of the season or in his career for that matter but everyone in this forum has the exact same opinion of DHB, he has major problems catching the ball but a few keep arguing the fact to keep playing him. I don't understand your logic for a guy not showing results in even small amounts.

You say you weren't over taken by emotion, but do you really think it was a logical statement?  If you were the GM would you really cut guys for having a bad game or two, if they were giving it their all?  If so, you wouldn't have much of a team left and the guys remaining wouldn't exactly be thrilled to be there. 

Luck probably had the worst game of his career Sunday.  Should Pagano be hard on him?  These guys are adults, they're not high school or college players.  This is their job.  They all know that their careers are short and there's always someone trying to take their job from them.   

What I'm trying to distinguish is the difference of being 'hard' on guys and having them prepared.  Obviously, the team wasn't prepared.  Do you really think cutting guys makes the rest of them better prepared? 

Like I said in an earlier post, I feel I know you.  You know a lot more about the game than how your opening post represented you.  I get your passion, it came through.  But you have to admit you were more blowing off steam than making a valid point, right?

You are right, Luck had a horrible game. The difference between .luck and DHB is Luck has shown more consistently good to great play in his short career and gets more lattitude. DHB, however, has shown little good and more bad over his short career and he keeps having the very same problem over his entire career andhe keeps gettng the nod, he feels safe and noo pressure to get better ( I don't think his hands are fixable btw). So I still stand by my first post in this thread, time to develop someone else cause DHB is going to keep breaking your heart with drops and Reed is going to keep running it out from 8 yards deep in the endzone to less than the 20.

My last post on this subject, cant express myself any more clearer about this subject.

It's clear Cuck's outlook changed since is battle. He doesn't have the fire in the eyes, only a whimper. He needs to get Larry Bird in here because this team is S O F T

Wow, you are a piece of work man, very disrespectful. My dad died of cancer 3 years ago when I was 22 years old. Didn't even see me graduate from college, buy my first house, see me get married, etc. That fire in his eyes during his battle was to save his life, not to win a football game.

DHB and REED should be cut after this game. DHB hasn't caught balls hitting his hands all season and Reed keeps taking the ball out when he has no reason to and he is nothing special. Satele should not be the starter at center, maybe Mclynn but even then, he is marginal and should not be stRting at RG. You can be sure if there was a tough coach here, these changes would have been made already and you live with those changes but DHB has to get cut.

This is a terrible team that has been fortunate to win games with come backs, its not well coached.

4rwgp.jpg

I don't say he is soft because he isn't screaming and yelling on the side lines, I say this because he isn't holding players (and position coaches) seemingly accountable. Don't cut the players who are not making the plays they should but darn it, quit strating them or put them on the bench. There is absolutely zero reason that Reed should be allowed back on the field after running it out of the endzone multiple times and only getting tonhe 6 yard line and this is in multiple games this year. There is no reason for coach not to take a shot off the bow and start any other receiver instead of DHB, he doesn't catch the ball in nearly every game this season.

Now you can call it emotional or irrational or *ic or whatever but the fact remains, DHB drops almost every ball that hits his hands and Reed keeps bringing the ball out of the endzone and losing us yards unnecessarily. So if the player keeps showing a pattern over 9 games, when do you expect a coach to do something different? I would have a different opinion on DHB at game 9 if he had make some catches over the course of the season or in his career for that matter but everyone in this forum has the exact same opinion of DHB, he has major problems catching the ball but a few keep arguing the fact to keep playing him. I don't understand your logic for a guy not showing results in even small amounts.

Try decaf . :thmup:  Dude & take a chill pill the sky is not falling .. :colts:  

I don't think the coaches are blameless in the Colts performance this season.  Raiders, Dolphins, Texans, Chargers, today, are clear examples of the team not being prepared to play.  I think the coaches need to be put on the hot seat too.

And 49ers, Seahawks, broncos..3 of the top 5 teams in the league? Those don't matter I suppose.

We are not the most talented roster in the NFL, not by a long shot. Yet we are winning games and en route to another playoff appearance. If your going to blame the coaches for those 4 games, then you'd better credit them for the 17 wins in the last 1.5 years because most of them where against more talented rosters.

Reed definitely needs to cut but that was true before today

Exactly!  Reed has put the offense in terrible position all year long.  He insist on taking a kick off 7 yds deep and running (?) it out to maybe the 7 yd line.  he killed us in the Rams game.....  TAKE A KNEE.... give the offense and Luck a chance from the 20 yd line.  When Reed puts us inside the 10, we have limited options on offense, we go 3 and out and the other team ends up with a short field for a score.  Kick-offs are no longer the offensive opportunity they used to be in the past; take a knee and move on!