Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 4 Grades: Colts at Jaguars

Superman

3yaf6.jpg

Yeah, this was a nice one. I might even give out an A this week...

Let me know what you guys think.

Box score

Week 3 grades

Offense, B: 70 plays, 437 yards, 26 first downs (16 passing, 8 rushing, 2 from penalty), 6/13 on third down, 2/5 in the red zone, 1 turnover, 30 points; again dominated time of possession, but I felt like we left a lot of opportunities on the field

QB: Started off shaky, very shaky. He wasn't on the same page with his receivers, leading to two picked off passes (one waived off due to penalty, but he insisted on giving them the ball and threw another one). Not his fault entirely, but his fault. Not only that, but the quality of several throws was just not good. Overthrew Hilton in the middle of the field on a crossing route that would have led to big YAC. Then he settled in, started clicking with Reggie, got some open receivers and nailed the throws, and took off and ran a couple of times as well. Continued making plays in the second half to help nail the game down. I liked the way he navigated the pocket in this game, moving around, climbing up to make strong throws, etc., and we got him outside on some rollouts, and he looked good throwing on the run. Against a better team, we might have been in a hole early because of the rough start. Got to tighten that up. B

Backs / receivers / tight ends: Nice job, but slightly unfulfilled. Reggie led the way again, but Hilton and DHB were very complementary. A couple of "drops" by Reggie that would have been really nice catches (and not really drops, just tough grabs that got knocked out by defenders). DHB had a chance at a touchdown ball from Hasselbeck late in the game, and a more polished receiver would have reeled it in. Fleener was wide open for the TD, just bad zone coverage. He made a great catch later in the game, holding on even after getting popped. Another nice game from him. Richardson got the bulk of the work on the ground, and didn't earn much, vulturing a TD from a yard out. But the defense was really loading up, and the Jags were playing fast to the outside to keep him from turning the corner. He also had the fumble, but was bailed out on the inadvertent whistle. Brown's big run was awesome; he even ran over a couple of defenders. Our skill guys played well, but the miscues with the quarterback and a couple of missed opportunities drop this grade just a little. There was potential for a big time offensive explosion, and I know we scored 37 points, but the offense seemed to leave a few opportunities on the field. B

OL / blocking: Came down a little, in my opinion. Against a defensive front of questionable quality, we seemed to get overpowered in the middle, and beat to the outside. The sweeps and tosses kept getting blown up by one defender, the lead blockers were getting dominated, and backs didn't have any room to operate. The 3rd and short was frustrating; the line got no push. There were a few lanes that we opened up, and the backs made the most of them, and a couple of our better runs got wiped out by penalty, which was annoying, but the effort was there, just spotty. Pass protection was pretty good, but the Jags don't really have any pass rushers. One sack came on a great rush up the middle, I think Linkenbach got beat, and the other came where the linebacker ran right by the tackle, fullback and runningback, and no one did anything to stop him. Still a work in progress, but the line is showing promise, and this is with two starters out. B-

Defense, A: 54 plays, 205 yards, 14 first downs (10 passing, 0 rushing, 4 from penalty), 2/11 on third down, 0/1 on fourth down, 0/1 in the red zone, three turnovers, 3 points (off of a turnover; not their fault, but let a drive get deep into the red zone later on, and stopped it on fourth down, so it's a wash)

Defensive front: Nothing to complain about. Gave up 30 yards on 18 carries, and the longest run was 6 yards. Pretty much no mistakes, leaving no air for their ball carriers. Five tackles for loss. Harassed Gabbert from start to finish, 9 hits, 4 sacks, two passes batted... Just an excellent outing for the defensive front. Mathis is on a tear. The penetration up the middle was incessant on passing downs. We shut down the outside, for the most part. We've got to play with this kind of intensity and discipline next week against the Seahawks. A

Pass defense: A couple of missed opportunities in coverage, and a little bit questionable tackling. But we were flying to the ball, smothered receivers, forced turnovers, and just wrecked practically anything the Jags tried to do. No real letdowns, but the two longer catch and runs bugged me. I guess it happens, and given that it was later in the game it's not a big deal. The penalties were more of a problem. The defense kept the Jags out of scoring range until that late drive, then shut them down in the red zone. Overall, really good job. Again, have to duplicate the effort and discipline next week. A-

Special teams: Nothing in the return game, but didn't give up anything on the other side. The punting was good, AV was 3/3. Nice job. Give us some field position on some returns, and I'll be happy. A-

Coaching / playcalling, B:

Pep's play calling is hard to understand sometimes. I don't get the decision to throw three times in a row on the goalline. I don't get some of the other third down calls. I don't get working so hard to establish a power running game, then throwing the ball 16 out of 19 plays to start the game. If we want to be balanced, I think that balance has to be present throughout the game, not just on the final tally sheet. I like the passing concepts, for the most part, and we ran some play action from the heavy sets and it worked. Got Fleener open a little more. But I hope that as the season goes on, Pep's playcalling settles in a bit. C+

Manusky could do no wrong in this one. The blitzes got home, the pressure up the middle was good, the coverage seemed to be in the right spot all game, and almost every possession the Jags had was a short one. I'd like to see this against a better opponent, but I have no complaints about the defensive gameplan or the way the players were used. A

Game management wasn't really tested. No timeout issues, no challenges, nothing. We could have tried to quicksnap it on the Reggie catch that was overturned, but that's something Luck has to be on top of. With a young QB, I don't think I'd pull him. INC

Game ball, offense: Andrew Luck. Not a great game, but he finished 15/20 after gutting out the tough start. Earned himself an early yank.

Game ball, defense: Robert Mathis. Enough about whether he needs Freeney on the other side of him. This guy is a monster, at end, Sam backer, Rush backer, whatever you want. I've said it a hundred times, and I'll say it a hundred more: I'm so glad he stayed.

Big showdown in LOS this Sunday, against the 4-0 Seahawks. I hope our boys are up to the challenge. 

Edited by Superman

QB:  B+ He started slow but came on as the game went along.
Backs, receivers, tight ends:  B+ for the backs and receivers but an A for the tightends.  Fleener caught everything that went his was and has stepped up since he came the rest just played in clean up time but caught the passes that went their way.
Offensive line:  B- held up fairly well but struggled to open holes too.  Wasn't as good as the San Fran game but wasn't terrible either.

Defensive front:  A, Mathis had three sacks and they held MJD to under 2 yards a carry and this is a guy who has almost had a HOF career against the Colts alone. 
Pass defense:  A, Three picks and it took till garbage time for Gabbert to go over 100 yards passing on us.

Special teams:  B, Kicking game was solid but we got nothing out of the return game but at the same time the coverage unit did pretty good. 

Play calling:  B-, I didn't understand the start of the game with all the throwing but with Richardson struggling to get yards maybe that had something to do with it.  Still seemed odd to me but I felt they adjusted well as the game went on.  I thought they used Brown correctly for the first time since he's been here.  He's a great change of pace back to balance out our pounding backs.  Also the three straight passes when it first and goal before the field goal was odd.  Also I've seen enough of Richardson in a WR spot to last me, if they are going to do that at least do it with Donald.  Defensively they looked they had the Jags on their heals just about all day.   I am not sure if that's the defense or the Jags just completely not being able to do a thing on offense though.  If this team doesn't do something at QB I think it's a very real possibility that they go 0-16.  They can't lean on MJD anymore.  He's turned into a old back in the NFL who probably still has a role on a team but can't carry a team anymore. 
Game management:  A, I can't really think of anything in terms of a challenge or short yardage situation that I wished the Colts had done something differently.  I also think they went to the back ups at the right time.  The only thing I can think of was Toller just having to do that stupid celebration that got flagged but that's not really on the coaches. 

The special teams unit really seems improved so far. They are so close to getting a blocked punt, just inches away.Eventually they`re going to get one! I like the play calling and formations. Not sure who was out of sync today Luck or the receivers. A lot of miscommunications at times. Defense overall is still very encouraging. At times it looks like the Colts have 12 guys playing against 10, white jerseys today flying to the ball.

The special teams unit really seems improved so far. They are so close to getting a blocked punt, just inches away.Eventually they`re going to get one! I like the play calling and formations. Not sure who was out of sync today Luck or the receivers. A lot of miscommunications at times. Defense overall is still very encouraging. At times it looks like the Colts have 12 guys playing against 10, white jerseys today flying to the ball.

We are going to block a punt before this season is over...

and to think the forum went into a panci about the special teams after the Bills game.  Can we all agree to please remember this next year before we try to panic over something in the first pre-season game?

Andrew Luck's pick was awful

There were some really bad miscommunications early on. I don't know how much is on Luck and how much is on our receivers, but we can't afford to play sloppy ball like that if we're going to beat Seattle. They're too good at taking advantage of mistakes for us to hand them turnovers and penalty yardage like we did for Jacksonville today.

We are going to block a punt before this season is over...

and to think the forum went into a panci about the special teams after the Bills game. Can we all agree to please remember this next year before we try to panic over something in the first pre-season game?

Good luck with that lol

There were some really bad miscommunications early on. I don't know how much is on Luck and how much is on our receivers, but we can't afford to play sloppy ball like that if we're going to beat Seattle. They're too good at taking advantage of mistakes for us to hand them turnovers and penalty yardage like we did for Jacksonville today.

ive been thinking about that and then I remember Hilton has been missing practices and at least one mid communication was going his way so I am sure that played a role but just in general Luck and Hilton gave been off this season. Luck doesn't seem to have the same timing with Hilton that he does with Wayne, DHB, or Fleener. Probably because both are young players and he hasn't played with Hilton for years like he has Fleener.

The one big negative that stood out to me was our run blocking, we got a few good holes open, but for the most part it looked like Richardson was getting piled on at the line of scrimmage or after 2 yard gains, we need to do a better job of opening holes

Every time we ran Richardson, we were in a power formation and the d stacked the box. When brown gets his touches we use way more imagination. Not a pep hater at all, but not sure about his diversity, so far, when giving it to Trent.

Every time we ran Richardson, we were in a power formation and the d stacked the box. When brown gets his touches we use way more imagination. Not a pep hater at all, but not sure about his diversity, so far, when giving it to Trent.

not always true. At one point they joked about Tent knowing the whole play book because they were trying to run him with different plays. True most of his carries came with a fullback on the field but the fullback has been on the field for most of the Colts plays this season. We only saw the true power formation with one WR a couple of times today.

QB: B-
Backs, receivers, tight ends: B
Offensive line: B-

Defensive front: A
Pass defense: A

Special teams: B

Play calling: B
Game management: B

Like others have stated. The early play calling was boggling and Luck started slow and communication was poor. I still want to see big, gapping, holes from the O-line when we run. Overall, I was thrilled with the performance and I thought we adjusted nicely.       

I don't really like the formation, but I agree on using Brown if you are going to use a RB lining up as a WR. Run Richardson out of the backfield if you are going to throw to him. 

Vontae Davis gets an A+. He got the interception, and forced the other right into Butler's waiting arms for the pick 6. 

QB: B-  Luck struggled early, and very fortunate to have only 1 INT.  Got it together as the game progressed, but can't afford a bad start against the better teams coming up like Seattle, Denver, and Houston
Backs, receivers, tight ends: Backs: B  Donald Brown gets an A (with what little he was in he was very effective)  TRich C  Not a great YPC but kept chipping away (the pass block where the defender just tackled him was pretty funny)  Receivers: B  Wayne had another good game B+, Hilton seemed to struggle (don't know if the mishaps with Luck were on him or the QB) B, DHB, don't know there was much to even grade from him....hardly remember even hearing his number.  Tight Ends:  A-  Fleener had one of his best games of his young career.  Caught everything that wasn't well defensed.  Jones did a good job also.
Offensive line: B-  Gave up 2 sacks plus a number of hurries and struggled to open holes at times for TRich.  This is only the second time this group played together, but they didn't have the same success against a much weaker team than they did in SF.

Defensive front: A  Mathis A+ 3 sack game always gets an A+, Redding had another solid game, Freeman was everywhere.  MJD was like a ghost out there (if they didn't show him on the sidelines a few times you almost wouldn't have known he even dressed for this game).  They looked great against a inept Jags offense
Pass defense: A+  3 INTs with one returned for 6, not to mention Davis's tackling is something that more CBs could stand to take notes on.

Special teams: B+  Vinatieri was solid, had a good game and didn't miss a thing.  McAfee, didn't get a whole lot of work in the punting game, but his KOs were all short and returnable.  Had good coverage downfield and didn't allow much to come past the 20.  Wasn't overly impressed with Reed, but can't be any worse than Vaughn.  Just glad he was able to get back to the 20 on the few times he took off with it.

Play calling: B-  Wasn't quite sure why we came out slinging it to start the game.  Got the O off on a bad foot.  3 passes on first and goal that led to a FG  :scratch: , we have to convert those to TDs against the better teams.
Game management: B+  The only thing that keeps me from giving this an A is that somebody should have had Luck get to the line and run a play (I don't care what play, even if it was a spike in the ground) to prevent the Wayne "catch" from being overturned.  Instead they slowly got into the next play and allowed the Jags to challenge.  You need to take advantage of any ref errors in your favor.

Overall very happy with the teams performance, they did have a few more penalties than I would like (Toler's taunting call was completely unacceptable), but they did what they needed and supposed to do to win, and ultimately that's all that matters.

Had to work yesterday, so I won't be able to watch the game until Thursday.  Here are my very general observations from watching ESPN Gamecast.  

1.  The slow offensive starts are going to cause losses against better teams.  Very happy with quarters 2-4 but getting shut out, throwing an interception deep in your own territory, etc doesn't cut it.

2.  The defensive effort was dominant.  We've watched Colts teams of the past make QBs like Gabbert look like future hall of famers.  Very nice to see that not happen as well as holding MJD to basically nothing.  Jacksonville is a terrible team, but the defense made them look terrible.  

3.  This team can beat the Seahawks next week.  If Seattle plays like they typically do on the road, the Colts SHOULD beat them next week.

4.  I hope Bradshaw is back soon.  Numbers don't lie and based on numbers TRich has been disappointing so far.

5.  3 passes in a row from the 4 when you claim to be a power running team should never happen.

Haven't re-watched yet to analyze, and I had a little more alcohol than I usually do, so by halftime, I'd say I as about 5 or 6 beers in - the hot wing sauce was getting to me a little more than usual =).  So take this with a grain of salt.  My grades in your reply box:

Yeah, this was a nice one. I might even give out an A this week...

Let me know what you guys think.

QB: B.  Started out slow, but finished strong.  I still hate when I see Luck throwing the ball when he knows he shouldn't.  Case in point was the interception that was nullified.  Now, you can make the argument that he saw the flags go and knew the penalty was on JAX.  And that's fair, but what if it hadn't?  It wouldn't be the first time a QB threw the ball thinking it was offsides when in fact, it was the offense who committed a pre-snap penalty.  Maybe I'm over analyzing.

Backs, receivers, tight ends: B, B, A-.  I had to carve out an exception for hte TE here because he really had such a good game that I couldn't group him with the backs and receivers.  As for the B, I know it's only been 2 weeks (and really, it's been 10 days from the trade to Sunday's game), but I like what I'm seeing with Trent.  There were several times I saw he should have been tackled in the backfield, and he turned it into a positive gain, most the time for 2-3 yards and once for 5 yards.  He's hitting the holes for the most part, but at the same token, a 3.0 YPC is still underwhelming.  He'll get there, but he's just not there yet.  Donald Brown had the nice run as well.  For the WRs, still solid, but had a few drops - Reggie had 2 early ones which is very uncharacteristic.  Miscommunications with Luck, but after the 1st quarter, everyone settled down nicely.

Offensive line:  C+.  Overall not bad, run blocking is the primary downgrade here, though Luck did take too many hits while throwing, which, to no one's surprise, came primarily up the middle.  Take out Donald's run, and we average 3.7 YPC.   As stated above, it would have been even less than that had it not been for Trent turning negative plays to positive ones.  Still a solid effort, even if it left something to be desired. 

Defensive front: A+.  I don't think there's anything to complain about.  Not that shutting down Blaine is as praiseworthy as shutting down someone like Brady, but they were in his face for most of the game.  And 1.8 YPC for MJD?  Need I say any more?

Pass defense: A-.  Again, we had a lot of help from Blaine on this one.  But nevertheless, a couple of big plays, but none that resulted in TDs, 3 INTs, one of which was a TD, and a 30 point plus some change passer rating. 

Special teams: B+.  Didn't do anything outstanding in particular, but we didn't give up anything big either. 

Coaching plus Play calling plus Game management: A.  See TOP and JAX 3rd down conversions (2/11).  Oh and the mousetrap, while cheesy, got the point across and our boys played as well as everyone knew they should have.  Coaching kept this from being a trap game and instead, kept us focused that it was a bigger blowout than what it should have been on paper.

Had to work yesterday, so I won't be able to watch the game until Thursday.  Here are my very general observations from watching ESPN Gamecast.  

1.  The slow offensive starts are going to cause losses against better teams.  Very happy with quarters 2-4 but getting shut out, throwing an interception deep in your own territory, etc doesn't cut it.

2.  The defensive effort was dominant.  We've watched Colts teams of the past make QBs like Gabbert look like future hall of famers.  Very nice to see that not happen as well as holding MJD to basically nothing.  Jacksonville is a terrible team, but the defense made them look terrible.  

3.  This team can beat the Seahawks next week.  If Seattle plays like they typically do on the road, the Colts SHOULD beat them next week.

4.  I hope Bradshaw is back soon.  Numbers don't lie and based on numbers TRich has been disappointing so far.

5.  3 passes in a row from the 4 when you claim to be a power running team should never happen.

#5 had me scratching my head yesterday.

#5 had me scratching my head yesterday.

Ditto

Not good at all this grading stuff, I'm too subjective of a fan.

But two stats for the O that stood out were:

Red Zone efficiency: 2 of 5 40%  This is going to kill us against better offenses.

Gotta get that killer instinct going!

3rd Down efficiency: 6 of 13 46% again not going to cut it against better teams and teams that we want to keep their O's off the field.

D was outstanding! Not much to complain about, just need better execution on O.

Past two weeks have been outstanding WIN's

Ditto

Not good at all this grading stuff, I'm too subjective of a fan.

But two stats for the O that stood out were:

Red Zone efficiency: 2 of 5 40%  This is going to kill us against better offenses.

Gotta get that killer instinct going!

3rd Down efficiency: 6 of 13 46% again not going to cut it against better teams and teams that we want to keep their O's off the field.

D was outstanding! Not much to complain about, just need better execution on O.

Past two weeks have been outstanding WIN's

I said ti in another thread and I'll repeat it here.  6/13 conversion would make us 6th best in the NFL.  Take out the last two failed third down conversions (1 because it was in the 4th when we ran 9 out of 10 times to run the clock out and took off 8 minutes off the clock - that is a good drive with the lead we had - the other was with the backups in).  Take the weighted 3rd down conversion percentage, 6/11, and that puts us at a 54.5% 3rd down conversion rate, which is second best in the league. 

Bottom line is, we're doing fine at our current league rated 5th in 3rd down conversion percentage.

Also, with the Red Zone scoring, I was confused at first, but I think I understand that you meant TDs only and you didn't count a FG as a red zone success.  Because we had 2 FGs in the Red Zone and 2 TDs.  I'm not sure where you got the 5th Red Zone attempt.  Didn't we only have 4 trips?  The 3rd field goal was not in the red zone (it was at the 28 yard line).

Also, with the Red Zone scoring, I was confused at first, but I think I understand that you meant TDs only and you didn't count a FG as a red zone success.  Because we had 2 FGs in the Red Zone and 2 TDs.  I'm not sure where you got the 5th Red Zone attempt.  Didn't we only have 4 trips?  The 3rd field goal was not in the red zone (it was at the 28 yard line).

I got the redzone % from these stats. from the bottom of this page:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2013092904/2013/REG4/colts@jaguars#menu=highlights&tab=analyze&analyze=boxscore

and you are right it's TD success in those stats.

You have a point about 3rd down *. I guess I didn't compare to other teams, I just think that 60% or better would be a good percentage... my bad.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2013092904/2013/REG4/colts@jaguars#menu=highlights&tab=analyze&analyze=boxscore

You have a point about 3rd down *. I guess I didn't compare to other teams, I just think that 60% or better would be a good percentage... my bad.

No i'ts not a big deal.  To be honest, before I really started getting more in depth with stats outside of the traditional pass yards, YPC, etc., I would have said the same thing.  In a sport where you're so used to seeing higher percentages (i.e. 66% passing is good), it's weird when you see a stat of 45% put you in the top 5. 

At any rate, with the redzone % stat, I agree with you on the percentage thing.  40% would be a bit low.  I just don't think that they calculated their percentage correctly.  It should be 50%, which, if true, is a tad below average.  I could be the one wrong, in which case, I'm okay with - I just want to know why they are right and I'm wrong.  Against teams like the Seahawks, that has to be north of 60% IMO.

Yeah, 60% would be "good," as in best 3rd down offense in recent history. The Broncos are at 55% for the season. In 2007, the Colts were at 49%, and the Pats were at 48%. You'll have some games where you're unstoppable on 3rd down, but 60% overall is out of this world. 

However, in this game, against a defense that's been struggling, I was disappointed with 6/13 on 3rd down. I think there were some things we could have done better. Our passing game wasn't clicking, for whatever reason. The red zone possession in the first quarter was especially annoying to me. This is a game where I think we should have been at or above 60% on 3rd down.

I said ti in another thread and I'll repeat it here.  6/13 conversion would make us 6th best in the NFL.  Take out the last two failed third down conversions (1 because it was in the 4th when we ran 9 out of 10 times to run the clock out and took off 8 minutes off the clock - that is a good drive with the lead we had - the other was with the backups in).  Take the weighted 3rd down conversion percentage, 6/11, and that puts us at a 54.5% 3rd down conversion rate, which is second best in the league. 

Bottom line is, we're doing fine at our current league rated 5th in 3rd down conversion percentage.

Well we wanna be the superbowl champs so 2nd best ain't gonna cut it.... We need that #1!!

And Toler nearly doubled that with his pathetic taunting. That needs to be stamped upon immediately.

Refs were just being nice to the Jags with that call.

D more than any unit in football, needs to run on trash talk and "swag."

Refs were just being nice to the Jags with that call.

D more than any unit in football, needs to run on trash talk and "swag."

He deserved a flag. He didn't even really break the pass up. Reminded me of Cassius Vaughn celebrating when Matthew Stafford missed Calvin Johnson on a touchdown pass last year. Just relax. Save the celebrating for a play when you really actually do something.

He deserved a flag. He didn't even really break the pass up. Reminded me of Cassius Vaughn celebrating when Matthew Stafford missed Calvin Johnson on a touchdown pass last year. Just relax. Save the celebrating for a play when you really actually do something.

I may be mistaken, but I think that was the drive the Refs had a number of blown calls.

That's why I was making the joke about the Refs being nice lol. I'm sure he deserved it for whatever was said on the field as well.

I just posted my grades. Looking forward to your All-22 analysis.

I thought about it but you covered pretty much everything that needed to be said, ya got all the numbers, ya touched on the playcalling, the slow start, The only thing I could possibly do that would be different would go at it from an individual player analysis of what I saw, Maybe Ill give my analysis on what I saw from Trent Richardson or Luck other then that there is really no need for me to post anything that you have already covered. Excellent job, I enjoy reading your informative evaluations and posts and learn alot from them

I may be mistaken, but I think that was the drive the Refs had a number of blown calls.

That's why I was making the joke about the Refs being nice lol. I'm sure he deserved it for whatever was said on the field as well.

Yeah, you're right. I was just talking. I knew you were playing.