Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Greg Toler believes the Colts can have the best defensive secondary in the NFL

There was a time when I thought Jackson, Hayden, Bethea and Sanders could be one of the best in the league too. That never quite panned out, but I remain optimistic about this current bunch.

We won the Super Bowl. 

There was a time when I thought Jackson, Hayden, Bethea and Sanders could be one of the best in the league too. That never quite panned out, but I remain optimistic about this current bunch.

Yes I agree!! I thought the same thing. But injuries destroyed any possibility of that.  

Harper and David were the starters in that Superbowl. The quartet i just mentioned rarely played a full season together.

Which was unfortunate, because it was only the injuries that stopped us from having the best secondary in the league. Aggressive, fast, instinctive, and physical- we were stacked. Even our backups like Jennings and Giordano went on to be starters in other places.

I just bought a magazine (Lindy's, I think) that rated the Colts' secondary as #9 in the NFL.  Kinda hard to give them more credit than that until we see them play.  Toler's the key, IMHO.  If he stays healthy, this group can be impressive...

Vontae Davis, Greg Toler, LaRon Landry, and Antoine Bethea, we have to see them play, but on paper they look great, name me secondaries that look better than that, the Seahawks? Bucs?

If our D-line is absolutely magnificent , perhaps.  We don't have a D even approaching Ravens, 49ers, Steelers, Seattle, and on and on.  so no, we are nobody with these individuals right now.  I think Bethea will start his major decline this year, Toler --- ehhh??, Davis is good to good +, Landry's better days are behind him in the tinted rear-view mirror.

Which was unfortunate, because it was only the injuries that stopped us from having the best secondary in the league. Aggressive, fast, instinctive, and physical- we were stacked. Even our backups like Jennings and Giordano went on to be starters in other places.

Injury is still the big unknown.  Can Toler play a full season?  Davis, for that matter.  Will Landry be asked to play pass defense?  Can Bathea bounce back from a mediocre year?  The backups (Butler, Vaughn, Lefeged, etal) will start  games at some point in the season.  How will they do?

Lot's of questions that have to be answered.  Which won't come until the end of the season.

I think we can be much improved....     but no chance of being the best....

I think we might be able to be top-10....    but the whole defense is really going to have to step-up to another level for that to happen.  

At this time of year,  every team is unbeaten and optimistic....    then the season starts and reality sets in....

Glad Toler is upbeat and optimistic....   just hope it stays that way all year long....

If our D-line is absolutely magnificent , perhaps. We don't have a D even approaching Ravens, 49ers, Steelers, Seattle, and on and on. so no, we are nobody with these individuals right now. I think Bethea will start his major decline this year, Toler --- ehhh??, Davis is good to good +, Landry's better days are behind him in the tinted rear-view mirror.

Always the ray of sunshine on the forum. Or is it 'just keeping it real' ? When in fact unless you're some kind of fortune teller none of us really know how they will play this year. Or if they just had a bad year last year, etc...

Well, I mean Bethea, Landry, Davis and Toler has that potential, but I would never expect it, especially with those guys in Seattle.

I remember a few years ago Vontae proclamed that he and Sean Smith (before he became decent) were the best duo in the league. This talk happens all the time, and people have learnt to just push it over.

If our D-line is absolutely magnificent , perhaps.  We don't have a D even approaching Ravens, 49ers, Steelers, Seattle, and on and on.  so no, we are nobody with these individuals right now.  I think Bethea will start his major decline this year, Toler --- ehhh??, Davis is good to good +, Landry's better days are behind him in the tinted rear-view mirror.

Let me guess............er an optimist.  Seriously I have never seen anything positive you have posted.  Sad.

Let me guess............er an optimist.  Seriously I have never seen anything positive you have posted.  Sad.

let ME guess, you are next going to put words in my mouth and say that I think the Colts are at the bottom of the barrel when in fact they are better than a good many of the teams in the league IMO.

They were up there for the year or two they stayed healthy together.  Might have been one of the best tackling secondaries I've ever seen.

They were up there for the year or two they stayed healthy together.  Might have been one of the best tackling secondaries I've ever seen.

I could give a ripif My Corners are good tacklers, I want them to make plays on the ball and stay with the wr making it hard for a QB to fit a ball into a certain spot

I could give a ripif My Corners are good tacklers, I want them to make plays on the ball and stay with the wr making it hard for a QB to fit a ball into a certain spot

Hayden, Jackson, Bethea, and Sanders were all solid in coverage and punished receivers and runners in the open field.  I miss having corners who would get off their blocks and stuff the outside run.  Though I'd settle for some solid coverage.  

let ME guess, you are next going to put words in my mouth and say that I think the Colts are at the bottom of the barrel when in fact they are better than a good many of the teams in the league IMO.

No, the words you typed and the posts you make are what I was responding to CF.