Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have traded Jerry Hughes for Bills LB Kelvin Sheppard

B-B

Werner made Hughes expendable and Kiko Alonso made Sheppard expendable it helps out both teams, but we get one of there starters for Hughes( a career backup)

Pretty nice cap savings day 1 as well.  Probably net gain of $1 mill or so for us.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a lesson in the value of next day draft grades.  Hughes might have been the most popular Colts draft pick in recent history. 

Thing about Hughes I liked was his motor but he was very inconsistent with tackling technique, half the time he just ran right into the offensive player 

I follow the Bills fairly closely being from Buffalo, and most of my friends back home are Bills fans.

From my observations, their opinions and the general feeling on the Bills boards is that this guy is mildly better than Hughes.

I would be very surprised if he started, We just don't have any MLB depth.

I would not expect too much from this guy.

I don't get some fans. They cry, when we don't sign any FA or make a trade, then they cry when we do, and to help with our long sturggling defense. The future is here, get out of the  Polian era and enjoy the Grigson era. So far I like everything about Grigson and his moves. Jerry Hughes was just another below average player from the Polian era. I like this trade/

Here's his draft profile:

Sheppard has the skill-set necessary to become a solid starting 4-3 outside linebacker in the NFL. Does a good job pursuing and tackling in open space and on the perimeter and can play in zone coverage but doesn't possess elite speed to consistently apply pressure off the edge or matchup in man against dangerous backs or tight ends. Struggles when cornered in a phone booth. Can be neutralized if blockers get good position and their hands on him. Takes some false steps and loses discipline with pursuit angles at times, but does possess solid instincts and awareness.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/kelvin-sheppard?id=2495229

I like this move.  I guess the coaches weren't sold on Hughes.  I guess they have big things expected for Walden and Werner

It is kind of a punctuation point on an off-season where we got way more done than I dared to hoped for and a symbol of Grigson's fearlessness to make a deal along with other team's in the league willing to deal with him.  It looks easy, but I think it is actually a very hard trade to get done in the league because execs are so self-conscious about perceived value.  There is no where to hide in a trade like this.  Doesn't seem to bother Grigs.

I like the trade i could see it coming we have Walden Mathis Sidbury  Werner   then hughes    and i also thought a deal might happen because angerer is in last year of deal had injury issues could be his replacement or could be replacement for Kavell Connor  good deal for both sides i wish hughes luck in buffalo and idk if this really applies to anything but on Madden 2013  sheppard has a + 12 rating over Hughes !!!

In 2011( his rookie year ) from Pro Football Focus

When he played in a 3-4, and graded out better than Angerer(who had his best season in 2011)

"Sheppard was announced the starter on Oct. 17 and from week 8 on, he started in every game and played in 385 of the team’s 649 defensive snaps in that timeframe. Sure, he wasn’t an every-down LB, but he was efficient in his play and was grading out effectively in his play. He only had one week where he graded negatively in run defense, but his pass coverage and efficiency in the passing game is what needs improvement. His tackle/snap percentage was impressive in his 385 snaps as starter. He recorded a solo tackle on 11.9% of his snaps and a tackle/assist on 14.8% of his snaps. In just 433 snaps, Sheppard was the 28th ranked ILB, grading out better than guys like Lawrence Timmons, Pat Angerer and Rey Maualuga during the season. Overall, Sheppard graded out a +5.8. His +8.5 grade against the run clearly displayed his run stopping abilities that Buffalo hoped they were getting when they drafted him in the 3rd round."

Interesting that the positive stats from his rookie year were when Buffalo was still in a 3-4 vs. the 4-3 they switched to for 2012.

The fact that Hughes will not be on the roster in 2013 was easy to see coming.  Sidbury, Walden, Werner - heck even McNary all pointed to that eventuality.  I am frankly shocked that Grigson got something in return for him - would have never dreamt that.  Plus, after the draft and going looking at depth charts, ILB seemed an obvious place where talent and/or depth could be upgraded. 

This is the time to not get too involved with any player. We gotta cut 37 guys right. I could understand scenerios where big name over 30 guys like Mathis or Wayne were traded.

And before you go H.A.M - its just an example. The point is that everything im seeing from the GM says we serious about not rebuilding - & just reloading. So that means we dont have time for contract disputes & holdouts. You will be shopped &/or dropped before any of that.

Posted · Hidden by Warhorse, April 29, 2013 - double post
Hidden by Warhorse, April 29, 2013 - double post

This is the time to not get too involved with any player. We gotta cut 37 guys right. I could understand scenerios where big name over 30 guys like Mathis or Wayne were traded.

And before you go H.A.M - its just an example. The point is that everything im seeing from the GM says we serious about not rebuilding - & just reloading. So that means we dont have time for contract disputes & holdouts. You will be shopped &/or dropped before any of that.

It is kind of a punctuation point on an off-season where we got way more done than I dared to hoped for and a symbol of Grigson's fearlessness to make a deal along with other team's in the league willing to deal with him.  It looks easy, but I think it is actually a very hard trade to get done in the league because execs are so self-conscious about perceived value.  There is no where to hide in a trade like this.  Doesn't seem to bother Grigs.

I like it.  He isn't afraid to make bold moves.

What a great trade for us Sheppard was one of the best young run defending ILB's in the league. Hughes showed flashes as a pass rusher but he was bad against the run. With the addition of Werner Hughes wasn't gonna get much playing time. Now Freeman and Sheppard will give us a great pair of ILBs that are good vs the run and pass.

Pretty nice cap savings day 1 as well.  Probably net gain of $1 mill or so for us.

That's one of thing I like about the trade. That and the fact that we needed more depth at ML.

This kid, Sheppard is a legit NFL linebacker, he just hasn't shown that he is a legitimate starter.  

He could turn out to be, or he could be a quality back up which, in this high injury sport, is still quite valuable.

I could take Hughes being a bust and all but what made me hate him was the stupid stuff he did after the whistle.  A couple of close games we had last year he should have gotten a flag for stupid things he did.  I am happy he is gone for that reason alone.  Man what a disappointment...

Did someone say that we were saving 1 million in cap? According to Mike Chappel, Jerry Hughes will count $2,112,500 in dead money vs the cap. Would have counted 1,926,250. So he said we take on $186,250 more vs the salary cap to move Jerry Hughes. Is that right?

Some of that probably was switching from a 3-4 in 2011 to a 4-3 in 2012

Yeah, he played lighter in their 4-3. And now they're switching back to a 3-4/hybrid, so hopefully he's been putting some of that weight back on already and getting adjusted to it. His rookie year, he played at about 255, and went down to about 240 last year. If he settles in at around 250, he'd probably be most comfortable and able to fill any role as a backer on our roster.

Im shocked at the overjoyment of the trade of Jerry Hughes who had 4 sacks last year in the 1st year in a new scheme as a rotational player for a guy that had 80 tackles last year in 15 starts.....only 56 of which were solo, I think some here would praise any move Grigson made.......Tebow for Linebacker anyone?

Did someone say that we were saving 1 million in cap? According to Mike Chappel, Jerry Hughes will count $2,112,500 in dead money vs the cap. Would have counted 1,926,250. So he said we take on $186,250 more vs the salary cap to move Jerry Hughes. Is that right?

He won't count since he was traded. Colts assume Sheppard's salary and Bills take over Hughes'.  Advantage Colts.