Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have traded Jerry Hughes for Bills LB Kelvin Sheppard

B-B

I didn't say OLB, I said pass rusher which Hughes strictly was.

And if depth was the issue, why oh why were so many in this forum just begging for an OLB to be picked in the 1st as opposed to an ILB?

It has more to do with ability than just positional need. We replaced Hughes with 2 players who can play the run as well as rush the passer.

Hughes had no ability vs the run but Walden, Werner and Sheppard all do.

You are completely over thinking this! There is one major flaw in your thinking though...Sheppard wasn't good against the run last yr..

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant tell you the point of bringing in Sheppard because I have no idea. Conner is a guy that can blitz up the middle and get through O Linemen I believe, Angerer is a roamer, an ILB that can make tackles all over the field, he is not a heavy hitter, much more of a drag down tackler

The reason they brought in Sheppard?  Easy - to get Hughes of the roster and provide depth at a position that needs it. 

So who comes out for Angerer on passing downs?

Assuming Sheppard is the starter, he does. Or both Sheppard and Freeman, and bring in Angerer and a nickelback.

You're going to see multiple looks out of our defensive front this season. And that's an understatement.

Assuming Sheppard is the starter, he does. Or both Sheppard and Freeman, and bring in Angerer and a nickelback.

You're going to see multiple looks out of our defensive front this season. And that's an understatement.

Ahh, well I'm looking forward to that

You are completely over thinking this! There is one major flaw in your thinking though...Sheppard wasn't good against the run last yr..

Sometimes you gotta dig deeper than what's on the surface. That's what our FO does. I'm not a personnel wizard, I just like to get to the nitty gritty.

Plus, Sheppard was in a 4-3 last year as opposed to a 3-4 in 2011, his best season.

C.Pagano will make K.Sheppard better and bring out the best in him, remember K.Sheppard was on the Bills.....

I wanted to see J.Hughes shine and he didn't all the time at his limited chances, so out with the old player and in with a new player and see what happens.

Go Colts!!!!!

In Grigson I trust!!!!!

I was all for giving Hughes one more run.. He showed signs of brilliance at times.. Never even heard of this other guy..,

If brilliance means ordinary, then yes.

I LOL'd. :)  I like this trade also.  Grigson has shown that he will do whatever it takes to find players who fit the monster scheme, even if it means trading a former first round pick for a third.

When he was in a 3-4 his rookie year he was strong against the run:

"MLB Kelvin Sheppard (+4.6). Sheppard was particularly strong against the run (+8.4) last season, and the unit as a whole looks to be a real strength heading into the 2012 season. "-PFF

Leave Pat right where he is and use him on passing downs. He's our best cover linebacker.

Yes, I would be surprised if we got rid of Angerer.  Sheppard is not as good against the pass. He does fit the scheme better but to this point, Angerer has been a beter all around player.

As the front office said this weekend, competition will bring out the best in these guys.

When he was in a 3-4 his rookie year he was strong against the run:

"MLB Kelvin Sheppard (+4.6). Sheppard was particularly strong against the run (+8.4) last season, and the unit as a whole looks to be a real strength heading into the 2012 season. "-PFF

Hughes showed flashes in a 3-4 too but people still hated him. Look, I'm not against the trade at all, but I find it funny when people make scheme excuses for players on different rosters, then ignore the scheme excuses on our own roster. It just seems like some fans have very unrealistic expectations from "new" guys on the roster just because they are "new". Just like some have the insane expectations of quite a few of our "newly" signed UDFA's will outperform guy's that have been in the league and proven to be at least decent depth.

I don't see why everyone is getting psyched over this trade. We trade an OLB who showed signs of improvement after being switched to OLB in the 3/4...Why? Because we picked up and drafted a few OLBs who we have never seen play on our team, and have no idea if they are going to be better than Hughes in his second year in the system or not. In return we get an underwhelming Bills player; I don't see anything to get excited about.

Hughes is not the greatest player in the league, but he is not as bad as many on this board make him out to be. I can't wait to see who the herd names as the next forum whipping boy.

LOL at this and I can't believe any Colts fan would be upset by this. Hughes was a major bust, never showing anything. Adding Werner and Walden this offseason would have put Hughes 3rd string at best. More than likely he would have been cut anyway.

Getting anything for Hughes is a win for the Colts as we would have got nothing in the end.

Hughes showed flashes in a 3-4 too but people still hated him. Look, I'm not against the trade at all, but I find it funny when people make scheme excuses for players on different rosters, then ignore the scheme excuses on our own roster. It just seems like some fans have very unrealistic expectations from "new" guys on the roster just because they are "new". Just like some have the insane expectations of quite a few of our "newly" signed UDFA's will outperform guy's that have been in the league and proven to be at least decent depth.

I totally agree with you on that part

I also visit the Walter football forums (where a lot of different people post) and the Bill's fans don't like Shepard. So I'm not going to expect too much out of this trade.

And just like here, where the consensus is Hughes was bad. Do they like getting Hughes like the consensus likes sheppard?

I don't see why everyone is getting psyched over this trade. We trade an OLB who showed signs of improvement after being switched to OLB in the 3/4...Why? Because we picked up and drafted a few OLBs who we have never seen play on our team, and have no idea if they are going to be better than Hughes in his second year in the system or not. In return we get an underwhelming Bills player; I don't see anything to get excited about.

Hughes is not the greatest player in the league, but he is not as bad as many on this board make him out to be. I can't wait to see who the herd names as the next forum whipping boy.

His name is Donald Brown

That's more value than I thought Hughes had. Sheppard was a nice prospect a couple years ago, and he's been a solid contributor in his two years in Buffalo, starting 24 games. Good size, good speed, decent in coverage, strong tackler. He's an upgrade over Angerer and Conner, I think, and improves our linebacking corps.

It's too bad Hughes didn't work out, and I'm curious whether this move was more about adding a starter than it was moving on from him. Once we had some enviable depth at OLB, we get rid of one of them. Interesting...

Honestly thought the second we drafted our first round pick the writing was kinda on the wall. I think we wanted a good ILB in the draft and none were they apparently we liked maybe they will move Angerger outside It will be intrusting for sure. I think Hughes was playing better just not like a 1st rd pick! Good luck to him.

I'd give Freeman the nod as our best coverage LB, but you are right that it is much too early to say that Angerer doesn't still have a valuable role or could even still earn the other starting spot once healthy.

Just like some have the insane expectations of quite a few of our "newly" signed UDFA's will outperform guy's that have been in the league and proven to be at least decent depth.

You can't predict it, but it's bound to happen.  A few no-names like Freeman and Shipley always come along and make their mark.  After camp and few injuries pop up(as they always do) the depth chart and player rotations will look nothing like people are predicting today. 

We had 5 ILB's prior to Sheppard

And that means absolutely nothing.  The Jets had 4 QB's on the roster Friday and yet they still drafted Geno Smith.  Having names on a roster does not mean you have guys who can really play.  I am amazed that little fact still eludes you.

I certainly dont agree Sheppard is an upgrade over Angerer......Angerer had 148 tackles in 2011 as a starter, 2 forced fumbles and a pick and 1 sack, in 15 starts last year for Sheppard he had 80 tackles 2 sacks and 1 pass defensed, Now I get its not alla bout stats but the NFL is a production business, dont produce and your expendable

#1 - Sorry it didn't work out Jerry, good luck in Buffalo

#2 - Grigs is the most active GM I have ever seen. Complete change in philosophy from previous regime

#3 - We exist in a division that has mostly poor QB play and outstanding running games...glad we are becoming a run stop team

#4 - I am guessing but I think this is a preemptive strike to get something for a player that will not be upped in his contract

#5 - We have not been mentioned as a known defense in the NFL for decades. That is about to change

I felt a lot better about Hughes than I ever did about Brown.

Maybe we can use Brown to fleece someone out of a decent cornerback.

If Brown is healthy he will be a dangerous change of pace Back who can start even needed, assuming we have an O line that can block this year

I certainly dont agree Sheppard is an upgrade over Angerer......Angerer had 148 tackles in 2011 as a starter, 2 forced fumbles and a pick and 1 sack, in 15 starts last year for Sheppard he had 80 tackles 2 sacks and 1 pass defensed, Now I get its not alla bout stats but the NFL is a production business, dont produce and your expendable

Sheppard graded out better than Angerer in 2011 by pro football focus, if you put stock into them

Maybe the coaches just didn't like Hughes' attitude/personality/etc. I don't have anything against him, or know the relationship between him and the rest of the team, but sometimes you just don't get along with someone for whatever reason. 

That thought crossed my mind a few times, I never met him at TC but I wondered about that