Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have traded Jerry Hughes for Bills LB Kelvin Sheppard

B-B

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A new team. a new system, and change of scenery may do wonders for both players.  Even if he's mildly better than Hughes then that's an improvement.  Doesn't it also save a little cap space too?

I thought they would be saving money too, being that we traded a 1st rounder for a 3rd round pick. But actually we lose cap space.

I am hoping that the change in scenery helps both guys. Obviously Grigson thinks he can get something out of Sheppard.

If he can give us some quality backup play I will be happy, If he gives us quality Starting play then I will be Very Happy!

Trade Angerer. We all love him, but he is a 4-3 LB, not 3-4. Trade him to Dallas, they need LBers with the move to 4-3 and Lee's injury.

I don't think we know how Angerer will do in a 3-4 yet.  He played all of last year on a broken foot and had to have his snaps limited as a result.  I think he deserves an honest chance fully healthy. 

I like the trade frankly with adding Werner they probably had one too many OLBs between Werner, Mathis, Walden and Sidbury and with Angerer, Conner, and Freeman on the roster one too few MLB so this evens out the linebacking core.  I think Sheppard will provide depth at this point and I don't think he's going to walk in and take anyone's starting job with that said I don't think the Colts expect him too either. 

I think Sheppard will provide depth at this point and I don't think he's going to walk in and take anyone's starting job with that said I don't think the Colts expect him too either. 

Exactly. Except it's to, not too. ;) I used to be a proof reader for my college newspaper, can't help it.

But I agree that we shouldn't read too much into this. He'll be a decent backup, probably not much more.

Exactly. Except it's to, not too. ;) I used to be a proof reader for my college newspaper, can't help it.

But I agree that we shouldn't read too much into this. He'll be a decent backup, probably not much more.

1359613086_grammar_police_xlarge.png

I don't think there's anything wrong with correcting people. As long as you're nice about it.   :hat:

Figured as much but I wanted to use it as a platform to point out that Polian built his teams to play 4-3 Tampa 2 and as we all know Griggs is building a 3-4 hybrid style D.  Quite naturally this will involve him turning over most of the personnel on defense.  IMO such moves don't really say anything at all about Polian even in jest.

This move probably says Hughes stinks....he couldn't get on the field in 43 and obviously didn't impress coaches in the new scheme.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, April 30, 2013 - personal shot
Hidden by Nadine, April 30, 2013 - personal shot

kinda sucks, Hughes was never given a real chance to show anything. he has been stuck behind Mathis and Freeney. and now when he gets the opportunity he gets traded.  

.......wait, what?!

Hughes sucked from day 1. Had more opportunities to prove himself than most human beings get in their entire life. Turd flushed. Keep it moving.

As much as I was rooting for Hughes to eventually become the starter, this works for both us and the Bills.

Sheppard is a good young ILB and probably will replace Angerer in the inside and should be very good with Freeman and Connor.

Hughes will have a chance to play with Mario Williams and will likely not get the double team that Mario gets and will have a chance to shine in Buffalo.

Works well both ways.

I don't think we know how Angerer will do in a 3-4 yet.  He played all of last year on a broken foot and had to have his snaps limited as a result.  I think he deserves an honest chance fully healthy. 

well i felt Jerry Hughes deserved a real chance to play also, being that he was stuck behind both freeney and mathis. then we traded him

The general consensus around the Bills boards is that this dude sucks. TBH I would rather have kept Hughes. He was solid in rotational time as a pass rusher.

yeah i heard a few bills fans say the same thing. that and he tends to be lazy on some plays. but for all we know it could be because he wanted out of buffalo

Hughes was never really able to play much. kinda hard to impress anyone when your stuck behind possible two future HOF players on the depth chart.

Oh please...freeney and Mathis never needed breathers, never injured? Talented pass rushers usually find their way on the field one way or another.

Oh please...freeney and Mathis never needed breathers, never injured? Talented pass rushers usually find their way on the field one way or another.

Amen. And I thought the Bills had flipped over to some Analytics nonsense in talent evaluation. If (after typing in all of the info) that computer says Jerry Hughes is the kind of guy you want, that thing is broken!

Completely accurate.  On top of breathers, both missed significant time last season and Hughes proved time and again that he simply cannot play.

Completely accurate.  On top of breathers, both missed significant time last season and Hughes proved time and again that he simply cannot play.

He was fine as a rotational pass rusher in our new defense. He did, however, prove that he isn't an NFL caliber defensive end who can play every down. And that's okay, even for a first rounder, depending on how good you are at rushing the passer. Bruce Irvin isn't an every down end, but he earned his way onto the field as a pass rusher and made his impact felt. Hughes didn't.

He was fine as a rotational pass rusher in our new defense. He did, however, prove that he isn't an NFL caliber defensive end who can play every down. And that's okay, even for a first rounder, depending on how good you are at rushing the passer. Bruce Irvin isn't an every down end, but he earned his way onto the field as a pass rusher and made his impact felt. Hughes didn't.

I didn't even think he was good even as a rotational player.  But no matter - I am just pleased to have gotten something other than a warm bucket of spit for the guy.  To get a player who may be able to contribute at a position where depth is needed is a job well done from Grigson.

I didn't even think he was good even as a rotational player.  But no matter - I am just pleased to have gotten something other than a warm bucket of spit for the guy.  To get a player who may be able to contribute at a position where depth is needed is a job well done from Grigson.

Now I dont know if you hate the guy like a certain somebody on here but I think your underselling what he did last year and thats have 41 tackles and 4 sacks being in a rotation not getting consistent snaps, Now Im not saying was anything to write home about he was raw and undisciplined but he did have 4 sacks in his first year in a new position in a new defense, I hope Grigs didn't jump the gun on him to soon but I am disappointed he did not get a full season of starting to see what he can do, People love to throw the "he was a 1st round pick" card out there and that he was, but he was a first round pick NOT a first round talent despite his college production and he was CLEARLY not going to start right away, what are they gonna do, cut a likely hall of famer who was still producing at a high level for a raw rookie? and yet Polian drafted him behind what will likely be at some point a hall of fame pass rusher who had 13 sacks in 2009 and 10.5 in 2008 the year before Hughes was drafted, It was brought up there was disappointment over him not making an impact on special teams before he got some starts last year, Now thats where I think he should have made a real impact and he failed to do so, He was a bust yes but meh he showed some promise in the new scheme so Im not nearly as down on him as most plus....He was ONLY 24 and his contract wasn't even up yet.

I'm having a hard time thinking a guy could make 80 tackles and never make a play as you said in an earlier thread. Was everyone else trhat much worst?

Being a tall Lillipution is not impressive. 

2 of the Bills top 4 leading tacklers were DBs. The Bills already cut the other LB that was part of the linebacking debacle (Nick BArnett) and Barnett was 10x the backer Sheppard was. Sheppard might have made tackles but never one that mattered. If he ever filled a hole, it was the wrong one. 

Poster Gavin above has some ESPN tracked stat that says Sheppard stuffed one run (a tackle for a loss) all last season. I'm shocked he had one it but I guess it happened...part of me wonders if it was a running back who stumbled. That's behind a strong defensive line. I'm telling you: He's really that invisible. If he succeeds, I'll be shocked. 

http://espn.go.com/n...kelvin-sheppard

Enough ranting on poor Kelvin. I hope the Bills trade for someone else on your team so I can be back to tell you about some better player in the future. 

Now I dont know if you hate the guy like a certain somebody on here but I think your underselling what he did last year and thats have 41 tackles and 4 sacks being in a rotation not getting consistent snaps, Now Im not saying was anything to write home about he was raw and undisciplined but he did have 4 sacks in his first year in a new position in a new defense, I hope Grigs didn't jump the gun on him to soon but I am disappointed he did not get a full season of starting to see what he can do, People love to throw the "he was a 1st round pick" card out there and that he was, but he was a first round pick NOT a first round talent despite his college production and he was CLEARLY not going to start right away, what are they gonna do, cut a likely hall of famer who was still producing at a high level for a raw rookie? and yet Polian drafted him behind what will likely be at some point a hall of fame pass rusher who had 13 sacks in 2009 and 10.5 in 2008 the year before Hughes was drafted, It was brought up there was disappointment over him not making an impact on special teams before he got some starts last year, Now thats where I think he should have made a real impact and he failed to do so, He was a bust yes but meh he showed some promise in the new scheme so Im not nearly as down on him as most plus....He was ONLY 24 and his contract wasn't even up yet.

I really wish you would stop trying to sell me on the guy.

1) He was not very good.  I don't need the Football Encyclopedia

2) He is no longer on the Colts - translation I Don't Care.

You are so enamored with Hughes.  Think about it - if he was really any good at all, would they have felt so compelled to draft Werner?  Would he have been traded?  In fact, no way of ever knowing this but Chappell intimated today on the Dakich show that he likely would have been cut before camp if not for the trade.

This move probably says Hughes stinks....he couldn't get on the field in 43 and obviously didn't impress coaches in the new scheme.

Well you won't get much of an argument from me on that front though I wouldn't go as far as to say he stinks. Just never showed enough to warrant seeing the field much here.   But that is more an indictment of Hughes than a knock against Polian.  Hughes was widely regarded as a good pass rush prospect coming out of college.  Many GM's were targeting to draft him at the time.  Heck many people here thought it was a good pick at the time...hence all the sour grapes now. 

Well you won't get much of an argument from me on that front though I wouldn't go as far as to say he stinks. Just never showed enough to warrant seeing the field much here.   But that is more an indictment of Hughes than a knock against Polian.  Hughes was widely regarded as a good pass rush prospect coming out of college.  Many GM's were targeting to draft him at the time.  Heck many people here thought it was a good pick at the time...hence all the sour grapes now.

Not blaming Polian....everybody misses

I really wish you would stop trying to sell me on the guy.

1) He was not very good.  I don't need the Football Encyclopedia

2) He is no longer on the Colts - translation I Don't Care.

You are so enamored with Hughes.  Think about it - if he was really any good at all, would they have felt so compelled to draft Werner?  Would he have been traded?  In fact, no way of ever knowing this but Chappell intimated today on the Dakich show that he likely would have been cut before camp if not for the trade.

Not sure where you get I am or was trying to seel you on him, He was a bust, I was just acknowledging that he showed some promise in the knew scheme even though it was not enough to keep him obviously