Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have traded Jerry Hughes for Bills LB Kelvin Sheppard

B-B

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Always interesting to come home to something unexpected like this.

I wish Hughes the best, but he wasn't a fit in Indy. I've always liked Sheppard and think he could be apart of a good ILB rotation. 

With that being said, one of the guys will most likely have to go. 

Or who the happy clappers all love, even when it is obvious that the said player(s) are a liability. 

In other words,,,,,if it is ok to like a player, then it is ok to not like a player.....

I agree its fine to dislike a player (I have my disliked players)... but, some want to place far more blame on some players than what is deserved.  I would not consider Jerry Hughes in my "liked players" category, but he was not the liability some made him out to be. I think he got used as a scapegoat by many fans.  Now everyone will pick a new player to direct all their frustrations at.

Wonder how the $$$ work out?

I would think it would be to the Colts advantage if both are playing off their rookie contract, a first round contract would be more $$ per year than a 3rd rounder........or whatever this guy was.... Nice move by the Colts!

I agree its fine to dislike a player (I have my disliked players)... but, some want to place far more blame on some players than what is deserved. I would not consider Jerry Hughes in my "liked players" category, but he was not the liability some made him out to be. I think he got used as a scapegoat by many fans. Now everyone will pick a new player to direct all their frustrations at.

I think satele is the front runner, or actually Vaughn followed by satele.

I don't know anything about shepperd. But 6'2 244 I like. Will have to do some reading on him to catch up.

Like I said I'm not a big fan one way or another on this cat. While Hughes is likely never to live up to his draft position I thought he was a solid rotational pass rusher. Werner likely made him expendable....but IMO...I don't think we added a starter at MLB. To me this was a back up for another back up. We were just thinner at MLB than OLB. The only way I would say this was an upgrade was if Hughes was a problem behind the scenes...and I have no information to know that. I see two career journeyman (not necessarily now but what they will likely be) lbs here and nothing more. This was just to balance out our roster.

You missed the point stated in the post? The point was that something could happen you cant see - the players mentioned were irrelevent.

But to your point - You are telling me you seen Peyton getting cut? Not traded - you seen him getting cut? But you cant see any scenerio were we move a 30+ WR?

C'mon - I bet theres at least 3 WR you could justify trading Reggie for.

A lot happens that none of us could see, depending on how far out you're talking about.  I think we all could see Peyton being released as soon as we had the #1 pick and it was going to be Luck.  Before the 11 season? No way.

No, I don't see any viable trades for Reggie.  No team is going to trade their young stud like A.J. Green for an older receiver.  And he means too much to the team to be traded for a "potential" type of player.  That's RIGHT NOW.  

You're right, I don't know if that same argument could be made next year.  

Side note, Polian has to feel a strong slap to the face everytime Grigson unloads one of his guys. One by one by one lol.

Polian is scheduled to be on 1070am tomorrow...crossing my fingers the subject is brought up.

Well, ok. That's cool, I'm just trying to figure out why. I mean, ILB is a position we are, in all honesty, really strong at. We signed Walden to "set the edge" and the drafted Werner to do the same, so outside of Mathis, Hughes was really our only blitzer. If Mathis happens to miss time, who are we gonna use at rush?

I certainly think we got the better talent end of the deal, his production far outshines Hughes', and a team who is running a 4-3 defense traded for a guy who floundered in a 4-3 previously. Just another bad move by the Bills. Buddy Nix and Doug Marrone reached to draft their "franchise QB" in a guy who was a day 3 pick otherwise, and it's going to be the downfall of them both. This move is just another nail in their coffin.

I just wish made more obvious sense for us.

Werner wasn't drafted to just set the edge....not sure where you got that idea.

Sheppard played ILB at LSU and was dominate over 100 tackles junior and senior year. The Bills ran a 4-3  and he played MLB which isn't the right fit but he still was 3rd on the team in tackles with 80. Now hes coming back to the 3-4 and he should be dominate again alongside Freeman.

Sheppard played ILB at LSU and was dominate over 100 tackles junior and senior year. The Bills ran a 4-3 and he played MLB which isn't the right fit but he still was 3rd on the team in tackles with 80. Now hes coming back to the 3-4 and he should be dominate again alongside Freeman.

80 tackles in a 4-3 when his year in the 3-4 was his best year? So if 80 last season, he should have about 90+ with us this year right?

Like I said I'm not a big fan one way or another on this cat. While Hughes is likely never to live up to his draft position I thought he was a solid rotational pass rusher. Werner likely made him expendable....but IMO...I don't think we added a starter at MLB. To me this was a back up for another back up.We were just thinner at MLB than OLB. The only way I would say this was an upgrade was if Hughes was a problem behind the scenes...and I have no information to know that. I see two career journeyman (not necessarily now but what they will likely be) lbs here and nothing more. This was just to balance out our roster.

But Sheppard has actually started in the NFL and has performed fairly decent. Albeit for the wretched Bills but still.

Grigson has targeted players who have starting experience in the NFL, who he also believes that their "arrow is pointing up". Hughes doesn't fit that discription. IMO Freeman is locked in at one starting spot, the other is Sheppards to lose.

80 tackles in a 4-3 when his year in the 3-4 was his best year? So if 80 last season, he should have about 90+ with us this year right

I think bottom line is neither team was in love with either player. I think good trade for us but I believe Buff. is going to a 3-4. So if he's a way better fit in that , why would they dump him ? I think it gives us good depth... 4 guys that can play at a competent to a vey good level. He pretty much replaces the ILB we didn't resign.

80 tackles in a 4-3 when his year in the 3-4 was his best year? So if 80 last season, he should have about 90+ with us this year right?

He should  be able to get atleast 90 tackles Sheppard has great instincts and is really good at shedding blocks. He started for Buffallo past 2 seasons and was very productice he's also good at blitzing in the a gap. The only problem Sheppard has is covering  fast TE's i.e Gronk and Hernadez but he won't have to do that with Freeman here. In the 4-3 the MLB job was to cover TE's 3-4 there's 2 ilb's  so Sheppard will only have to worry about the rb. I really liked Hughes as a situational pass rusher but he was just bad against the run. Drafting Werner made Hughes expendable and we get a starter in Sheppard.

@KBowenColts: Pagano on Werner: "He's an outisde linebacker. He's an edge setter."

Would we really use a 1st to draft a backup?

Do you think Grigson would repeat a polian mistake?

And right after that he said he was an explosive pass rusher.

You do realize Mathis' age don't you?

I follow the Bills fairly closely being from Buffalo, and most of my friends back home are Bills fans.

From my observations, their opinions and the general feeling on the Bills boards is that this guy is mildly better than Hughes.

I would be very surprised if he started, We just don't have any MLB depth.

I would not expect too much from this guy.

A new team. a new system, and change of scenery may do wonders for both players.  Even if he's mildly better than Hughes then that's an improvement.  Doesn't it also save a little cap space too?

This trade might not be a blockbuster trade, but its a step in right direction. Maybe it will benfit both players in this trade? Maybe both players needed a new team and a new scenery. For the past years we complain and complain that we did not make any trades or if we did the players we got were average or below average that no other team wanted, expect us. I think Kelvin is a step up, from Jerry Hughes, and Kelvin  will fit into our system unlike Jerry did. I wish Jerry all the best, I never hated him, to me hate is a strong word. But he was just another Polian below average draft pick but Jerry probably needed a team that he could fit in. Grant it, Polain did have some good draft picks but then there were some shaking our heads. I wish Jerry all the best, and I hope he will do well with the Bills. But here we are buldiing a monster on our defense that every fan cried and wanted for years. We are getting our wish now. Welcome Kelvin to the Colts.

Polian is scheduled to be on 1070am tomorrow...crossing my fingers the subject is brought up.

Polian was on NFL radio today and he brought up Jerry Hughes in the context of a player that hadn't played up to his drafted potential. Love him or hate him he admits he made mistakes and keeps it honest.

Polian was on NFL radio today and he brought up Jerry Hughes in the context of a player that hadn't played up to his drafted potential. Love him or hate him he admits he made mistakes and keeps it honest.

NFL Radio? Is that on Sirius/XM or something?

Sheppard played ILB at LSU and was dominate over 100 tackles junior and senior year. The Bills ran a 4-3  and he played MLB which isn't the right fit but he still was 3rd on the team in tackles with 80. Now hes coming back to the 3-4 and he should be dominate again alongside Freeman.

A couple guys and I have long theorized that Shep was the worst starting LB in the NFL last year. He's really pretty awful, and not saying Hughes is better. This trade is our junk for yours. But 4 sacks would put Hughes as the Bills 2nd leading sack-getter last year...that's how sorry the Bills are at D-Line. I bet Hughes will have space to make more plays on the lousy Bills defense.

For the curious, here is the mirror image of this thread from the Bills fan's perspective.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/157965-bills-trade-kelvin-shephard/

Yeah but 2 of the 4 Bills leading tacklers were safeties. That should tell you how bad the linebackers were, including Sheppard who even at inside LB never made a play.

For the curious, here is the mirror image of this thread from the Bills fan's perspective.

They talk about shep like some here talk about Hughes. Sounds like both were a victim of schemes. Maybe a change of scenery will do them both good.

there is no doubt that 1 or possibly even 2 make it on the final roster, but I've seen people predicting 4 or 5 make it and that is completely insane.

Some strong wording from clinical stand point. Perhap substituting that phrase with "A far reach" would be less offensive.....

They talk about shep like some here talk about Hughes. Sounds like both were a victim of schemes. Maybe a change of scenery will do them both good.

A couple guys and I have long theorized that Shep was the worst starting LB in the NFL last year. He's really pretty awful, and not saying Hughes is better. This trade is our junk for yours. But 4 sacks would put Hughes as the Bills 2nd leading sack-getter last year...that's how sorry the Bills are at D-Line. I bet Hughes will have space to make more plays on the lousy Bills defense.

I'm having a hard time thinking a guy could make 80 tackles and never make a play as you said in an earlier thread. Was everyone else trhat much worst?

Side note, Polian has to feel a strong slap to the face everytime Grigson unloads one of his guys. One by one by one lol.

I doubt it.  Polian is well seasoned as a GM and I am sure he realizes this is the natural way of things in this business.  His era here is over and he's moved on just as the Colts obviously have. 

Regarding the trade...I am glad that Griggs was able to get something for Hughes who never quite lived up to the hopes many had for him here.  I have seen Sheppard described as a hitter and good tackler when he played in the 3-4 during his first season.  He's another SEC guy and we can't have too many of those on our defense in my opinion. 

Mathis, Werner, Walden, Hickman, Sidbury, McNary. That is why this trade happened. I could see five of those guys make the 53, with McNary being stashed to the practice squad. I never felt Hughes was as bad as everyone else thought, but with the depth we have at OLB versus ILB, this move helps out all of us. I hope to see Jerry make an impact with Buffalo.

I doubt it. Polian is well seasoned as a GM and I am sure he realizes this is the way of things in this business. His era here is over and he's moved on himself just as the Colts obviously have.

Regarding the trade...I am glad that Griggs was able to get something for Hughes who never quite lived up to the hopes many had for him here. I have seen Sheppard described as a hitter and good tackler when he played in the 3-4 during his first season. He's another SEC guy and we can't have too many of those on our defense in my opinion.

That post was more in jest than anything else.

That post was more in jest than anything else.

Figured as much but I wanted to use it as a platform to point out that Polian built his teams to play 4-3 Tampa 2 and as we all know Griggs is building a 3-4 hybrid style D.  Quite naturally this will involve him turning over most of the personnel on defense.  IMO such moves don't really say anything at all about Polian even in jest.  

He should  be able to get atleast 90 tackles Sheppard has great instincts and is really good at shedding blocks. He started for Buffallo past 2 seasons and was very productice he's also good at blitzing in the a gap. The only problem Sheppard has is covering  fast TE's i.e Gronk and Hernadez but he won't have to do that with Freeman here. In the 4-3 the MLB job was to cover TE's 3-4 there's 2 ilb's  so Sheppard will only have to worry about the rb. I really liked Hughes as a situational pass rusher but he was just bad against the run. Drafting Werner made Hughes expendable and we get a starter in Sheppard.

You are being way to kind to Sheppard.