Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have traded Jerry Hughes for Bills LB Kelvin Sheppard

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our LBs outside Freeman, Mathis, Walden, Werner were Harvey, Fokou, Angerer and Conner, several of whom may not be with the team next year. Instead of trying to fit Hughes in, they made the wise move of getting another LB for him better on the run D front.

It seems like we are selling out on the run D front across the front 7 BIG TIME.

I like his numbers: http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13995/kelvin-sheppard

They were probably going to end up cutting Hughes eventually.  Might as well get something for the guy.

This guy cannot be much worse then Hughes anyways.

Michael Grady ‏@mg_indy1m

Jerry Hughes has been traded? Who is going to start scuffles after kick and punt returns now????

And here's his profile from the Bills website....

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/roster/Kelvin-Sheppard/b3811637-12ae-4a73-8389-3277dacecec6

Colts get an ILB for an OLB....   Colts also get a guy who was reasonably productive in his two years with Buffalo...

A good deal for Indy, I think....

They sure are going to get their money's worth from Mathis, Walden, Hickman and Werner at OLB.

Just goes to show you that they believe in Werner making an impact this year at OLB.

Our LBs outside Freeman, Mathis, Walden, Werner were Harvey, Fokou, Angerer and Conner, several of whom may not be with the team next year. Instead of trying to fit Hughes in, they made the wise move of getting another LB for him better on the run D front.

It seems like we are selling out on the run D front across the front 7 BIG TIME.

I like his numbers: http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13995/kelvin-sheppard

Fokou is with the titains.

one of the couple i hope we dont get rid of but i like the move might be for the best hope we dont get rid of Ben Ijalana too i think he has promise when he gets healthy get rid of mcglynn first anyways i liked hughes but trade might benefit the colts and him best wishes to jerry 

We are really really really selling out on run defense lol.

Yep, that was my very first thought, we are selling out on RUN D. 49ers mantra, then build around the front 7 and the secondary gets better with an improved front 7. Now, watch Landry and Bethea ball.

That's more value than I thought Hughes had. Sheppard was a nice prospect a couple years ago, and he's been a solid contributor in his two years in Buffalo, starting 24 games. Good size, good speed, decent in coverage, strong tackler. He's an upgrade over Angerer and Conner, I think, and improves our linebacking corps.

It's too bad Hughes didn't work out, and I'm curious whether this move was more about adding a starter than it was moving on from him. Once we had some enviable depth at OLB, we get rid of one of them. Interesting...

And here's his profile from the Bills website....

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/roster/Kelvin-Sheppard/b3811637-12ae-4a73-8389-3277dacecec6

Colts get an ILB for an OLB....   Colts also get a guy who was reasonably productive in his two years with Buffalo...

A good deal for Indy, I think....

It appears he was a starter? He played every game for two years, that's a good sign. I barely remember him in college and know nothing about his pro career.

@caplannfl

Bills announced that they traded LB Kelvin Sheppard to the Colts in exchange for OLB Jerry Hughes.

@RapSheet

A trade! RT @buffalobills: #Bills have traded LB Kelvin Sheppard to @nflcolts in exchange for LB Jerry Hughes

Wow!

I'm actually ecstatic about this! Very surprised also, but very happy.

We've picked up a great young player, already productive but certainly still on the rise. And I don't think we've lost a massive talent in Hughes, personally.

Possibly my favourite move this off season.

I like the trade. We get value in return for Jerry Hughes in a former 3rd round pick who has seemed to produce as an ILB. We probably werent going to resign Hughes anyways if he didnt show much improvement.

Now we have a lot of depth at ILB, so do we trade someone like Pat Angerer who is better in a 4-3?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now