Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have traded Jerry Hughes for Bills LB Kelvin Sheppard

B-B

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the trade. We get value in return for Jerry Hughes in a former 3rd round pick who has seemed to produce as an ILB. We probably werent going to resign Hughes anyways if he didnt show much improvement.

Now we have a lot of depth at ILB, so do we trade someone like Pat Angerer who is better in a 4-3?

Could be possible

Yep, that was my very first thought, we are selling out on RUN D. 49ers mantra, then build around the front 7 and the secondary gets better with an improved front 7. Now, watch Landry and Bethea ball.

It makes sense, especially with the other 3 teams in our division having a power running game, MJD, CJ2K, and Foster, man those guys gotta be having a bad off-season seeing all this run defense the colts have picked up.

All of our ILBs are 6 ft. It's nice to have a talented ILB with more size - Sheppard is 6'2".

Freeman, Sheppard, Conner, Angerer. Looks solid now.

And with Werner essentially replacing Hughes, I think this was the right move.

In 2011( his rookie year ) from Pro Football Focus

When he played in a 3-4, and graded out better than Angerer(who had his best season in 2011)

"Sheppard was announced the starter on Oct. 17 and from week 8 on, he started in every game and played in 385 of the team’s 649 defensive snaps in that timeframe. Sure, he wasn’t an every-down LB, but he was efficient in his play and was grading out effectively in his play. He only had one week where he graded negatively in run defense, but his pass coverage and efficiency in the passing game is what needs improvement. His tackle/snap percentage was impressive in his 385 snaps as starter. He recorded a solo tackle on 11.9% of his snaps and a tackle/assist on 14.8% of his snaps. In just 433 snaps, Sheppard was the 28th ranked ILB, grading out better than guys like Lawrence Timmons, Pat Angerer and Rey Maualuga during the season. Overall, Sheppard graded out a +5.8. His +8.5 grade against the run clearly displayed his run stopping abilities that Buffalo hoped they were getting when they drafted him in the 3rd round."

Sheppard has good size, can tackle well and is credited as a true leader. He has been on the field a lot for the Bills and has played pretty well. Looks like he will start with Freeman which is a plus.

I knew we were going to pick up an ILB, just didn't know where, that's why I pounded the table and was disappointed with not drafting Teo. This move has made my day. And for the life of me, I can't figure out who we traded to get Sheppard. lmao

I also visit the Walter football forums (where a lot of different people post) and the Bill's fans don't like Shepard. So I'm not going to expect too much out of this trade.

Fans of the teams involved always try to rationalize things. We're doing exactly the same.

Our LBs outside Freeman, Mathis, Walden, Werner were Harvey, Fokou, Angerer and Conner, several of whom may not be with the team next year. Instead of trying to fit Hughes in, they made the wise move of getting another LB for him better on the run D front.

It seems like we are selling out on the run D front across the front 7 BIG TIME.

I like his numbers: http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13995/kelvin-sheppard

It is the rare trade for meaningful, young, depth chart players straight up.  Must be kind of a perfect storm made possible by both teams getting what they wanted in the draft (Werner and Alonso)

I think he's very good. I think he'll come in and immediately be our best ILB.

He's not particularly fast (he's certainly not slow either) but he's big and tough, tackles well, has really good instincts and is more than comfortable dropping back into coverage.

Great pick up!

I'm down lol I like this seems he got better each year so let go stop the RUN!!!

GO COLTS!! :)

Well at least 1 OLB was gonna be out of a job come the start of the season with the drafting of Werner but I didn't think that was going to be Hughes, I was certain Killeen was on his way out or Hickman, This probably means an ILB or 2 is on his way out to in my opinion, Lutrus Scott? Mario Harvey? 16 games last year and 80 tackles for Sheppard? Were back to square 1 with pass rushers now only 2

That's more value than I thought Hughes had. Sheppard was a nice prospect a couple years ago, and he's been a solid contributor in his two years in Buffalo, starting 24 games. Good size, good speed, decent in coverage, strong tackler. He's an upgrade over Angerer and Conner, I think, and improves our linebacking corps.

It's too bad Hughes didn't work out, and I'm curious whether this move was more about adding a starter than it was moving on from him. Once we had some enviable depth at OLB, we get rid of one of them. Interesting...

Yep, makes you believe that Hughes could still turn out to be a solid player since another team gave up a lot to get him.  Certainly both teams were trading from the luxury of what they picked up in the draft, but Hughes isn't the dog he's given credit for being either.

From what I've been reading so far Sheppard is a 2 down linebacker who's solid against the run but a liability in coverage. He had a good rookie season, but saw a regression last season.

Some of that probably was switching from a 3-4 in 2011 to a 4-3 in 2012

Why does everybody assume he's good against the run? According to this on Rotoworld...he isn't very good at all.

Colts acquired LB Kelvin Sheppard from the Bills in exchange for LB Jerry Hughes.
A 2011 third-round pick, Sheppard started 24 games the past two seasons, including 15 at MIKE linebacker in 2012. Sheppard may compete with Kavell Conner at left inside linebacker in Indianapolis, but played just 521 snaps despite "starting" last season, and fared poorly against the run.