Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grade the Colts 2013 Draft

SilentHill

Grade the draft as a whole, and then if you see fit, grade the individuals.

Total Draft Grade: C

1st Round: Bjoern Werner: B+

3rd Round: Hugh Thornton: C+

4th Round: Khaled Holmes: D

5th Round: Montori Hughes: C

6th Round: John Boyett: C

7th Round: Kerwynn Williams: B-

7th Round: Justice Cunningham: C-

C+ grade

I would have given it worse but we did help keep Luck protected, just with guys I feel we reached on is all.

I like the picks of Werner and Thornton, although we may have reached a bit on Thornton.

Im not as high with rounds 4-7. Holmes, unless he gets much stronger and stout to handle NTs, is not a good pick. Im not big on the Montori Hughes pick. I have heard he is lazy and we dont need players like that. Plus I thought we had pretty good depth at NT with Franklin, Chapman, Tevasu, and McKinney. I've never even heard of the players that were taken rounds 6 and 7.

Hopefully next year's draft can be a little more well rounded. I feel like we only got 2 potential starters here unless Holmes gets stronger, then 3

player drafted                                                                                player opinion(if it matters)

werner----                                                                                       to me i thought datone jones and werner would have been great

either way.

thornton-----                                                                                    once colts went d in 1st---was worried about og selection,knew

warford wouldnt be around-----great get by grigson

holmes-------                                                                                     just missed barret jones

hughes------                                                                                      good pick considering round

boyett-------                                                                                      depth ok with me

williams-----                                                                                     might be most surprising result for colts

cunningham---                                                                                  ??????????

OVERTALL GRADE ---B

Total Draft Grade: B

1st Round: Bjoern Werner - A

3nd Round: Hugh Thornton - C+

4th Round: Khaled Holmes - B+

5th Round: Montori Hughes - A

6th Round: John Boyett - B+

7th Round: Kerwynn Williams: C

Solid B to B+

We did what we needed to do, fix the pass rush, OL, and got some pontential players in Hughes and Boyett to make an impact in a limited role right away

Didn't go for the flashy skill position players that wouldn't fill a glaring need, but we filled the OL and pass rush like we should. Can't wait until training camp.

Andrew Luck should be happy about this entire offseason, got him Pep, Cherilus, Thomas, Hugh, Holmes, and Kerwynn Williams to play with on occasions, DHB

Overall I give it a Solid B.

We got a pass rusher who can also "set the edge"

2 blockers

A stout Nose Tackle

A safety who flies to the ball

A speed back

A tight end who can block and catch equally well

Not every draft is linguini with clams and white wine.

Sometimes you gotta eat a ribeye and a baked potato with a Budweiser.

Cool...I'll play.  In as much as we can judge a team's draft one day after it is official here it goes...

1st Round: B. Werner (DE/OLB): A-    Some draftniks had this kid rated in the top 10 of prospects a couple of months ago.  A poor combine performance caused him to fall a bit.  At 24, this is a player that the Colts probably didn't expect to be there and he fits a need for a pass rusher at OLB.  Although he is a DE, he'll be an OLB in our defense and he fits the role nicely.

3rd Round: H. Thatcher (OG): B   The Colts needed to fortify the offensive line particularly the guard position and they found their man in third.  Thatcher plays with a bit of nasty in him and at the very least should provide good depth if not contend for the starter role. 

4th Round: K. Holmes (C/OG): B  I like this pick because I don't necessarily see him as just a pick for center but also a possible OG.  He is actually more suited to play G at the NFL level.  So he provides more depth at the G postion and at the C position and could down the road potentially contend to become a starter on the line some where.  Lindy's had him rated only 1/10 of a point lower than Thatcher which isn't bad at all for a guy we picked up a round later. 

5th Round: M. Hughes (DT):  B-  Draftniks thinks this kid has more than 5th round talent but has some maturing to do in order to realize his full potential.  He is a project pick and Griggs and Pagano see something in him that they believe they can pull out.  I don't like that we had to give up our 4th round next year though to move up and get him so that drops this pick's grade down imo.  What I have seen of him on tape hasn't really impressed me much to be honest but then again I am not paid to evaluate these guys.  He provides good depth at DT and as we know from experience the Colts can never have too many of those as they tend to drop like flies once the season starts. 

6th Round: J. Boyette (FS):  C+  Not a bad pick.  We needed more depth at free safety.  He has decent coverage ability and gets there to break up a lot of passes.  However, he doesn't intercept much.  Some of those break ups another safety might have managed to control and intercept.  I see him as good depth and a fill in starter when needed but don't think this is the future replacement for Bethea that we are looking for.

7th Round: K. Williams (RB): A  Loved this pick and the fact that it came in the 7th round which is often perceived as a throw away round makes me love it even more.  Colts continue to bring in fresh legs at the running back position.  This kid is a poor man's Darren Sproles.  I actually watched his bowl game against Tulsa and came away so impressed that I jotted his name down for future reference.  Low and behold...we got him.  Looking forward to some electrifying plays on third down this year.

7th Round: J. Cunningham (TE): F  Sorry just don't see the point here.  It's an irrelevant pick for a position that really didn't need a draft pick to address because we are so deep there.  Would have been more prudent in my opinion for the Colts to take a flyer on the highest CB prospect on their board as that was the only other position that I felt they needed to address in this draft.  

Overall grade: B

Colts addressed all of their positions of need except CB.  I would have liked to have seen the Colts bring in someone who could compete with C. Vaughn at least for the dime role.  It would have been nice if they could have got one higher to compete for the #2 spot but I can totally understand that our offensive line concerns trumped that this year.  We didn't address WR either but I don't think we really needed to this year especially after the DHB signing and with Lavon Brazill and Griff Whalen providing solid depth.  Colts found a pass rusher at OLB, fortified the OG position with two guys one of whom can also provide depth at C, added depth at DT and S and picked up a nice 3rd down running back and kick returner.  Though the names aren't sexy...it's a solid B for Griggs and the boys in my mind.

1st Round: Bjoern Werner - B

3nd Round: Hugh Thornton - C

4th Round: Khaled Holmes - C-

5th Round: Montori Hughes -B

6th Round: John Boyett - C

7th Round: Kerwynn Williams: C

Overall: 

For needs it's a A

For value it's a C

Until proven otherwise.... Total Draft Grade: A+

1st Round: Bjoern Werner: A+

3rd Round: Hugh Thornton: A+

4th Round: Khaled Holmes: A+

5th Round: Montori Hughes: A+

6th Round: John Boyett: A+

7th Round: Kerwynn Williams: A+

7th Round: Justice Cunningham: A+

Okay...grade our 2010 draft then.  :) lol

D. Conner and Angerer. Both average, the rest duffers.

Yes....a D for the 2010 class sounds about right. Even if Jerry Hughes pulls a Lazarus and somehow makes the Pro Bowl this season...I'd only upgrade it to a C.

And closing out the book on Polian with our 2011 draft class....I give that draft a C-minus.

Castonzo has been steady and we'll look for more progress this season with perhaps better OG play next to him....and Delone Carter has had his moments. A couple anyway.

Ijalana and Nevis have unfortunately been injury casualties....we'll see if they can make one last stand and contribute this year.

1st round:  Bjeorn Werner, DE/OLB  A+ - Once considered a top 3 pick but only fell because of a subpar 40 time. The most complete pass rusher in the draft,  more productive then Jordan,Mingo,Ansah, and is a better against the run then Jarvis Jones. Day 1 starter at LOLB.

3rd round: Hugh Thornton, OG B+ - Top 5 rated guard by scouts and imo is better then Pugh and Long who i thought were reaches in the 1st. Thornton is a mauler and is very similar to Warford. Day 1 starter at RG.

4th round: Khaled Holmes, C, B - Was a 2nd round prospect in 2011 but in 2012 played with some injuries and his production fell. Will start out as a backup to Satele but will probably start midseason because Satele is always hurt.

5th round : Montori Hughes, DE/DT, B - Daniel Jeremiah compared him to Red Bryant with the right coaching he could be great. Solid rotational player for the 1st year but could be Redding replacement.

6th round: John Boyett, FS, B - If it wasn't for his injuries he would have been drafted in the 3rd round. Plays like a combination of Bob Sanders and Polomalu has great range and can hit. Provides great depth in case of injury and Bethea is in his last year of deal.

7th round: Kerwynn Williams, RB, A - We basically drafted Darren Sproles i thought he would go in the 4th round. I think he'll be our kick returner and be used on screens. Has much better ball carrier vision then Donald Brown.

7th round: Justice Cunnigham TE, C - Solid player has good hands will compete with Saunders for 3rd TE.

Overall grade B+ - I would have liked a CB for depth but Davis,Toler, and Butler i think will be a top 10 trio this year.