Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jeff Saturday wants to retire as a Colt

FightLikeSin

Looking forward to having Saturday back in the Colts' franchise....   he'll be some type of executive....    guys like him exude class.  It's important to have guys like that in your franchise.    It's important that his experience and expertise are valued and taken advantage of....

Guys like Jeff Saturday aren't a dime a dozen...   they're incredibly rare.    You keep guys like that.   You find something substantial for them to do.    All of you know him better than I do,  but he doesn't strike me as an assistant coach type.   I see him somewhere in the front office.    Even if his title is "special assistant to Mr. Irsay"  or Grigson.    You keep guys like that close.

Bringing him back is an all upside and no downside type of move...     :thmup:

So how much $$$ would we have to give him for a 1 Day contract? I've heard of One year but this is just crazy lol

Nothing. Usually the amount is symbolic. 

In the case of Jerry Rice: On August 24, he officially retired as a 49er, signing a one-day contract for $1,985,806.49. The number represented the year Rice was drafted (1985), his number (80), the year he retired (2006), and the 49ers (49). The figure was ceremonial, and Rice received no money. 

But they never really get any money.

Nothing. Usually the amount is symbolic.

In the case of Jerry Rice: On August 24, he officially retired as a 49er, signing a one-day contract for $1,985,806.49. The number represented the year Rice was drafted (1985), his number (80), the year he retired (2006), and the 49ers (49). The figure was ceremonial, and Rice received no money.

But they never really get any money.

I never knew that very cool.

Just like Wayne and Garcon, Saturday wanted to show that he could play without Peyton by his side. Too bad, it did not work out like those two. Yes, money was a factor, I am not denying that but I am not going to blame him for looking out for his family, however small that money might have been!!!

I am glad he retires as a Colt!!!

Thanks, Jeff, for all you did for the franchise and community as a Colt!!! :)

We have filled the two line coaching positions.  My guess is once the Packers officially release him he will get his wish and sign a one day deal to come back and retire a Colt and it sounds like the Colts want him in the front office based on the fact we offered him a front office job last year.  So I would look for the Colts to create a position in the front office for him.