Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Josh Chapman status

superrep1967

Chapman hurt a knee last October playing for Alabama. He delayed surgery so he could help his team win the National Championship.

His surgery was mid-January. The recovery time was thought to be 9-12 months, and since it was only 1 ligament, and not the most important ligament, it was thought he'd be back closer to 9 months than 12 months.

His on the Physically Unable to Perform list, or PUP. That means out the first 6 weeks. So, we won't know anything until then, and maybe not until later.

Chapman hurt a knee last October playing for Alabama. He delayed surgery so he could help his team win the National Championship.

His surgery was mid-January. The recovery time was thought to be 9-12 months, and since it was only 1 ligament, and not the most important ligament, it was thought he'd be back closer to 9 months than 12 months.

His on the Physically Unable to Perform list, or PUP. That means out the first 6 weeks. So, we won't know anything until then, and maybe not until later.

I appreciate the info

Look, I will give Josh 6 weeks to heal his knee, but once he's off the PUP list, Chapman had better work his caboose off next season. I expect great things from him as our resident road grader on the line. Be prepared to sweat, grind, and put a hat on a hat Mr. Chapman once the medical staff gives you the green light for full contact son.

When Chapman is healthy and in shape, our squad should generate some serious movement on our defense. I'm looking forward to seeing that reality up close and personal baby!!!

yea, but it maybe in his and our best interest for him to stay out the whole year... hate to see him come back ( early) and end up like ilijana..

course Doctors and time will tell

this makes the pick up on Jean-Baptiste today good

Definitely a good point, perhaps he can regain his strength and keep learning and being mentored by players like Redding, McKinney ect until next year. He might be able to adapt quick... Would be nice for him to come in and play a few games perhaps at the end of the season though.

I really hope Josh Chapman can come back and stay healthy for the remainder of the season. His addition would be a great boost to our defensive line. If they can remain relatively healthy, I believe that our defense should show considerable improvement over the middle to later portions of this season.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he hasn't practiced or anything for about 9 months? Or has he? I remember getting injured and trying to just regain my endurance after 6 weeks. I don't ever want to go through that again. It stunk! I bet we won't see him till next season. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he hasn't practiced or anything for about 9 months? Or has he? I remember getting injured and trying to just regain my endurance after 6 weeks. I don't ever want to go through that again. It stunk! I bet we won't see him till next season. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You're wrong. In a nice tone. He's had workouts here and there, said it himself on his own twitter. Or unless he's a liar.

Look, I will give Josh 6 weeks to heal his knee, but once he's off the PUP list, Chapman had better work his caboose off next season. I expect great things from him as our resident road grader on the line. Be prepared to sweat, grind, and put a hat on a hat Mr. Chapman once the medical staff gives you the green light for full contact son.

When Chapman is healthy and in shape, our squad should generate some serious movement on our defense. I'm looking forward to seeing that reality up close and personal baby!!!

Gaurantee you Brother hes allready working his caboose off,its just the nature of this kid

You're wrong. In a nice tone. He's had workouts here and there, said it himself on his own twitter. Or unless he's a liar.

Whole different ballgame between an occasional workout and getting into football shape. Once he's cleared to practice again, it'll take him some time to get his game conditioning back. It's not exactly like Chapman was starting from a really high level of fitness like Peterson or Welker, either lol.

Not sure I totally agree with that when his tweet, a couple weeks ago, stated he was back to ”squatting the house again”. If he were still hurt I doubt he says that. I look for him to be ready to go by week 7.

sounds about right, i would say week 9 but yea, let's hope, because he is a beast coming off a terrible injury.

In any case, it's not like it needs to be decided right this minute.

FWIW, if we're really hurting after week 6 with other injuries, it may be smart to put him on IR just to free up a roster spot, but otherwise, we should just see how he's progressing and go from there. Whether that means he plays week 7, week 10, week 14, or not at all, we don't need to make the decision right now. And he's a very promising player, so we shouldn't push him to contribute this year if it would be a risk, since the hope is that he can be the anchor of the defense for years to come.

And he's a very promising player, so we shouldn't push him to contribute this year if it would be a risk, since the hope is that he can be the anchor of the defense for years to come.

Yeah, we I think we have a diamond in the rough here. I truly believe he is our NT of the future and will be a top 5 DT in the game. I just think that teams knew of his condition and didn't want to waste a high pick on him but was hoping to pick him up in the later rounds. I think if we didn't choose him, he would've been gone soon. If he was a beast in the SEC playing on a bum knee, imagine what a year of training, conditioning, and experience will do for him.

• 3 weeks later...

sounds about right, i would say week 9 but yea, let's hope, because he is a beast coming off a terrible injury.

I don't know. Squatting the house and planting and making football moves are two different things. Ease him back slowly and let him be a force for next season.

I think people are putting too much hope on Chapman at least off the start. Keep in mind he's still a rookie who hasn't had any of the OTAs, training camp, or pre-season. Once he does come off the PUP it's going to take him a while just to catch up to everyone else. Frankly I view him as more of a bonus draft pick in next year's draft. I just hope people stay patient with him if he doesn't come in and provide the big boost I think some are hoping for right away.

I can't remember ever being so excited for a 5th round pick.

Chapman gives every indication that he is going to be ready after week 6. How quickly he can contribute is up in the air. But this big boy was a beast at Alabama for sure.

If Chapman can solidify the run D, I kind of like the defense going forward. Just need to find a quality SS and some depth at CB.

I think people are putting too much hope on Chapman at least off the start. Keep in mind he's still a rookie who hasn't had any of the OTAs, training camp, or pre-season. Once he does come off the PUP it's going to take him a while just to catch up to everyone else. Frankly I view him as more of a bonus draft pick in next year's draft. I just hope people stay patient with him if he doesn't come in and provide the big boost I think some are hoping for right away.

+1. If he's healthy enough to be part of the NT rotation the last few games of the season and his conditioning gets up to snuff, that's a good rookie year given the circumstances. The real bonus comes next year and beyond, because a healthy Josh Chapman is a 2nd round talent that only cost us a 5th round pick and some patience.