Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lots of former Colts want Barkley to be drafted

IndyScribe

10 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

I can see that SB is special but Chubb has not been getting the same kind of attention as SB.   If he is considered equal or better, I would like to hear it or see it as well.  I’ve heard he’s not Myles G.  But SB is being compared to historical greats.  

So was TR, BW, and others

Big name skill position guys always get the press over trench guys 

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Aluckiswolverine said:

Elite RB + crap O-line = ?

build the D or O-line first. 

This whole thing summarized everything about Indy! 

Our O-line is crap/mediocore and everyone knows it .... bring in an elite RB like Barkley ( or so they “say” he will be elite ) with that line would be disastrous .... the ONLY way I see us drafting Barkley is if we address the line through FA by bringing in 2-3 proven vets that are SOLID, not on contracts where it’s a prove it deal. This has already broken Luck where he should be at elite status but isn’t and is being talked about to be traded to the Browns by ESPN and etc .... ( it won’t happen but the fact that a franchise QB like that is even mentioned shows the crappiness of our line ) we need to build the line before drafting a RB like Barkley he will end up like Richardson .... get Chubb and build a def that when we get Luck back he doesn’t have to throw 75 Times a game to keep us in it. We can score 2-3 times and let the def protect the win. 

1 minute ago, TdungyW/12 said:

Our O-line is crap/mediocore and everyone knows it .... bring in an elite RB like Barkley ( or so they “say” he will be elite ) with that line would be disastrous .... the ONLY way I see us drafting Barkley is if we address the line through FA by bringing in 2-3 proven vets that are SOLID, not on contracts where it’s a prove it deal. This has already broken Luck where he should be at elite status but isn’t and is being talked about to be traded to the Browns by ESPN and etc .... ( it won’t happen but the fact that a franchise QB like that is even mentioned shows the crappiness of our line ) we need to build the line before drafting a RB like Barkley he will end up like Richardson .... get Chubb and build a def that when we get Luck back he doesn’t have to throw 75 Times a game to keep us in it. We can score 2-3 times and let the def protect the win. 

we are putting luck behind that same line.  we need to fix it regardless of who the back is

thats not a reason to not take barkley.  by that logic we should trade luck since the line isnt good enough

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

we are putting luck behind that same line.  we need to fix it regardless of who the back is

thats not a reason to not take barkley.  by that logic we should trade luck since the line isnt good enough

I don’t want Barkley I want Indy to draft Chubb and fix the o line no matter the cost. 

8 minutes ago, TdungyW/12 said:

I'm feeling very confident Ballard will make a major upgrade to the OL in FA.  If we draft Barkley our line will be much improved for him and Luck. 

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I think that has been the view in the past but I think that has all changed with the success of all of these high draft picks the last couple of years.  We have come full circle and this years 1st. round is going to prove it again.  I think we could easily see three or four taken. 

Wait til Gurley and others decline pretty quickly after their rookie deals run out.

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

What about it is there to disagree?  Keeping Luck on the field is imperative. Add the fact we need run and pass blocking too. You may disagree but it don't automatically make it true.

I don't think drafting a rookie guard 3rd overall is guaranteed to keep Luck upright. Even if Nelson is as "NFL ready" as all the analysts say he is, the learning curve is still massive, & he'll be taking his lumps for an entire year, possibly 2.

I won't get into the whole Barkley vs Chubb debate.  If it were me, I'd take Chubb but I don't think it's wrong to draft either but on my team I'm a DC so I'm a bit biased.

But the people that talk about it's a passing league so taking a running back that high don't understand how cyclical the NFL is.  It's been a passing league for several years so D's have been getting more edge rushers and more coverage LBers, etc.  The best way to attack those Ds is when a strong running game between the tackles and dump offs to the RB out of the backfiled once the pass rushers get upfield, so the RB position is becoming more valuable.  So when you have a guy that can run between the tackles well, catch the ball well and take it to the house when he gets in the open field, that is a RB that is worth a very early draft pick.

On the flip side that is also why I like Chubb early.  As we see this shift in RB value, a DE that can rush the passer and stop the run is going to become more valuable especially when compared with an edge rusher.

Bill Polish has a pretty good track record when it comes to a high draft pick . But I've never seen him so demonstrative about a player as he's been with S. Don't believe we need to worry when we're on the clock about choosing Barkley , he'll be long gone. Cleveland in great position to nab him at 1 then grab one of the qb's st 4. Even if it plays out that way our Colts are in great spot to trade down even multiple Times and still fix one of a multitude of problems . Let's fix oline through free agency. First then take it from there.

5 hours ago, csmopar said:

I've been saying for weeks...

Browns will take Barkely

Giants to take Chubb. 

I was thinking the same thing: Browns could end up getting their QB in FA or at #4. Giants could go defense and get Chubb.

If that happens, I’d rather see them trade down and get a guy like Hernandez, than to use pick 3 on a guard.

5 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

I was thinking the same thing: Browns could end up getting their QB in FA or at #4. Giants could go defense and get Chubb.

If that happens, I’d rather see them trade down and get a guy like Hernandez, than to use pick 3 on a guard.

In this scenario:

1. Browns select Barkley

2. Giants select Chubb

We would have great leverage. The best available QBs are still on the board and teams needing QBs will negotiate with us. We would have great bargaining power and could walk away with several more picks and would still be in position to draft a great player: Nelson, Fitzpatrick, etc.

4 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I kinda think If we lose out on Barkley Ballard may think the playmaker os gone. So lets trade down and get more picks. I think he may pass on Chubb and Definitely pass on Nelson at #3. Depending on what he doesn't get in FA he may address in rounds 1 & 2.   

he might, you could be right (pass on Chubb), but if he doesn't Chubb, Barkley & Nelson all first game starters.  I'm not sure how far we have to go down in the draft where the Mendoza line is (1st game starters vs. projects), but it would be nice to see some stats on the last 20 drafts of time-line of first 20 picks as far as when they started producing (if they started producing) because any way you slice this up, i don't think we pick below 20 in the first round.

If the Giants decide to gamble why wouldn't they bet on Barkley ? 

If the Giants are using common sense why wouldn't they draft Barkley? 

They can find another midlevel QB at the grocery store. The next Barkley is eating apple sauce and watching cartoons in a highchair right now.

Well I attended Combine today and what I heard through the war piece was Barkley ran 4.41 and manual time showed 4.38 .  They also showed a cool thing on monitor which showed him running against Zeke and others and he won.

1 hour ago, SolidGold said:

Then why wouldn't you want Indy to draft Nelson ?

Chubb or Nelson’s fine with me I just have a horrible feeling they are going to go with the popular pick with Barkley. I just think they can bring in the 2 premier FA linemen ( fusco and I forget the other one ) and the draft Chubb and draft a linemen in the 3rd/4th round. 

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I don't think drafting a rookie guard 3rd overall is guaranteed to keep Luck upright. Even if Nelson is as "NFL ready" as all the analysts say he is, the learning curve is still massive, & he'll be taking his lumps for an entire year, possibly 2.

Kelly didn't. He played at an all pro level from game one. Matter of fact he had better ratings than the two centers voted to the pro bowl.

My point is this pre opinion on where players are taken is brought up entirely too much. If a player can be drafted and either help Luck stay upright or make an impact on the pass rush who cares what position they were taken.

We all know that GMs do not use the same strategy as fans do. We see mostly the high light tape, not the whole picture.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I'm feeling very confident Ballard will make a major upgrade to the OL in FA.  If we draft Barkley our line will be much improved for him and Luck. 

Honestly if we bring in the 2 premier Olinemen in the FA market I would be happy. But I still feel like we can find a good RB in the late response rounds and DONT need an elite RB to make it all the way. 

The teams that that have been doing great and making it to the SB/winning the SB have top 5/10 defenses. Having an elite pass rush would improve us and our secondary greatly. I think Chubb would make our entire team better.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Kelly didn't. He played at an all pro level from game one. Matter of fact he had better ratings than the two centers voted to the pro bowl.

My point is this pre opinion on where players are taken is brought up entirely too much. If a player can be drafted and either help Luck stay upright or make an impact on the pass rush who cares what position they were taken.

We all know that GMs do not use the same strategy as fans do. We see mostly the high light tape, not the whole picture.

I bet all the GM’s who passed on Brady would say the same thing ... drafted in the 6th round and look at him now. :lombardi: :goat:

2 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Barkley wont be there. Noway he gets past the giants if he makes it past the browns. We are going to have to take chubb nelson or trade back and get someone else

Trade back. Grab Nelson. If we miss chubb grab key.

38 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Kelly was an outlier, we all know those results aren't typical for a rookie OL making the transition to the NFL game. I'm all about drafting some OL depth to develop into eventual starters, but I'd feel much more comfortable if we spent the cash to bring in some established veterans to contribute immediately.

Okay, I hate to say, but I'm going to backtrack and make the call: The Giants are going to draft Barkley. I'm seeing a lot of hints from interviews, not to mention the impressive Combine lifted Barkley's stock higher than what it already was.

At the Combine, Barkley, when asked who he interviewed with, quickly mentioned the Giants, then paused a long time before listing a tangent of other teams (including the Colts). Funny enough, he forgot to list the Browns, which probably speaks volumes who Barkley likes.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap3000000918838/Showtime-Saquon-Barkley-discusses-impressive-combine-showcase

Barkley's dad has a favorite team -- the New York Jets. His dad even has a Jets tattoo. Barkley has admitted he also is a Jets fan, but laughs and says he's now neutral. Barkley grew up in the Bronx in New York. You know what other team is in New York?... Exactly.

Giants HC, Pat Shurmer, hinted he wanted a "generational player." He also was very adamant the Giants were sticking with Eli. I agree with this decision, and after last season's benching debacle I can't imagine their organization would throw fuel onto the fire by drafting a QB in the 1st round. This also doesn't sound like a team that wants to trade down, based on their history at making this selection.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap3000000918180/Pat-Shurmur-discusses-future-of-Eli-Manning-Giants-before-2018-Combine?icampaign="search-video-pat+shurmur"

I would be absolutely shocked if the Giants don't take Barkley.

24 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

Okay, I hate to say, but I'm going to backtrack and make the call: The Giants are going to draft Barkley. I'm seeing a lot of hints from interviews, not to mention the impressive Combine lifted Barkley's stock higher than what it already was.

At the Combine, Barkley, when asked who he interviewed with, quickly mentioned the Giants, then paused a long time before listing a tangent of other teams (including the Colts). Funny enough, he forgot to list the Browns, which probably speaks volumes who Barkley likes.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap3000000918838/Showtime-Saquon-Barkley-discusses-impressive-combine-showcase

Barkley's dad has a favorite team -- the New York Jets. His dad even has a Jets tattoo. Barkley has admitted he also is a Jets fan, but laughs and says he's now neutral. Barkley grew up in the Bronx in New York. You know what other team is in New York?... Exactly.

Giants HC, Pat Shurmer, hinted he wanted a "generational player." He also was very adamant the Giants were sticking with Eli. I agree with this decision, and after last season's benching debacle I can't imagine their organization would throw fuel onto the fire by drafting a QB in the 1st round. This also doesn't sound like a team that wants to trade down, based on their history at making this selection.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap3000000918180/Pat-Shurmur-discusses-future-of-Eli-Manning-Giants-before-2018-Combine?icampaign="search-video-pat+shurmur"

I would be absolutely shocked if the Giants don't take Barkley.

Barkley will be a giant

8 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Andrew Luck, Andrew Luck, Andre Luck anyone remember him? He's the guy that can't play because he had no OL. How Does Barkley protect him?

So if we draft Barkley, there is no way to address the O-line?

We absolutely must draft an O-lineman in the 1st or else there is no other way to protect Luck? 

Could it be possible to acquire someone through FA or using other draft picks to address the O-line? Or does it have to be our first round pick otherwise, it's no good?