Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who Wins the AFC South?

1959Colts

I wouldn't base the Colts chances on the roster they have now. Getting guys back  like Luck, Mewhort, Swoope and Kelly (plus anybody we pick up after Saturday) will help.

I still say if the Colts are .500 or better after week six, they have as good as a chance as anybody, providing Andrew plays by week 6 or 7.

I don't buy the national perspective of this being a 2-4 win team without Andrew and I do believe he'll be back by game 2 or 3.

24 minutes ago, WERC82 said:

why does anyone think the Texans can win the division? Even with a stellar defense 0 to 0 is still a tie and only half a win. As for their defense, how many of their big names play 16 games?

They've won the division the past 2 years with a no name QB. Watson will be starting soon, doubt Savage starts the whole season 

Watt is back, and Clowney is emerging 

Great draft from them, Houston is my clear favorites and it's not close 

16 minutes ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

It's really wide open. The division still sucks! Regardless of who wins it they are one and done in the playoffs. 

The division most certainly does not suck. The Titans are emerging with Mariota , the Texans have a stellar defense, and we will have a healthy Andrew Luck at some point. All three teams have the tools to put the hurt on anyone else in the league. If you want to look at the division who is the definition of lackluster, look no further than the AFC East. 

The Dolphins lost their starting QB and will now have to settle with Cutler. The Bills don't even have a starting material QB and are rebuilding by depleting their roster. And we all know how the Jets will be this year.

I say the Texans win the division this  year.  They have a good offense and defense plus I say after week 8 we will see Watson playing for them.  Not that he will be an MVP but something steady for them.  That defense to me is still very solid (Top 5) and will help them get through some games.  They had a pretty good draft as well to help both sides but Watkins, Decoud, and Cunningham should offer some help.  I am interested to see Foreman running the ball for them as well.  

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

Houston. If a quality coaching staff is brought in next offseason and we can avoid the injury plague, I believe Indy wins the division in 2018. 

This season hasn't even started yet so you have no clue as to what this coaching staff will do.

What you going to do if Pagano and his staff gets extended?  Accept it or continue crying?

1 hour ago, TKnight24 said:

They've won the division the past 2 years with a no name QB. Watson will be starting soon, doubt Savage starts the whole season 

Watt is back, and Clowney is emerging 

Great draft from them, Houston is my clear favorites and it's not close 

Bouye is gone, a starting safety is gone( forgot who) and Joseph is aging. Their secondary is weaker than last year

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

This season hasn't even started yet so you have no clue as to what this coaching staff will do.

What you going to do if Pagano and his staff gets extended?  Accept it or continue crying?

Pagano is not getting extended. If he does this teams' chances at winning a Super Bowl looks bleak. Pagano has shown no progress in his 4 years coaching this team. 

texans are probably the safest pick

the colts are not a threat without luck and we have no idea when he is coming back

titans could be dangerous, but mariota hasnt played 16 games in a season yet, and he isnt that great, just good

jaguars need better QB play to be a serious threat to win

Crapshoot but right now it's between Houston and Tennesse but they wont run away with it. I don't trust Mariota yet and he looked like trash against the Bears last week. Titans D still isn't great. Houston has QB issues still, Watson has not really impressed in pre-season. Their secondary got worse, but the D will still be very good. Jacksonville just has a losing culture and it won't turn around overnight. Colts have too many injury issues and questions right now to feel good about them, but if Luck comes back to 100% he has the ability to put a team on his back.

The Titans have the advantage over the Texans because Mariota  should be the difference over Savage/Rookie Watson.

The Jags QB play is still very questionable and their division hopes are doubtful because of that.

The colts...well are the colts. Inferior talent & coaching and a QB  who's status is unknown. A top 10 pick is much more likely than a division title.

20 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Bouye is gone, a starting safety is gone( forgot who) and Joseph is aging. Their secondary is weaker than last year

Bouye had one good year and is gone...who is to say his replacement can't do the same?  Plus they drafted Kevin Johnson to be just that so now its his turn.  Joseph has gotten another year older but I would not discredit there D because you think his age is an issue.  They lost Demps at Safety but replaced him.  Demps was not some solid factor either, which is why they let him walk.

25 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Pagano is not getting extended. If he does this teams' chances at winning a Super Bowl looks bleak. Pagano has shown no progress in his 4 years coaching this team. 

That is your opinion, not fact.

If the reasons Pagano has went two 8-8 seasons needs explaining to you I guess I would be wasting my time and yours. If you want to ignore Pagano coached this team to a AFC championship game in year three feel free but don't say Pagano has shown no progress.

For you to assume Pagano is going to be fired is way too pre mature.

You are so possessed with wanting Pagano fired you cant even stay on topic.

Talent wise, I think Tennessee is the best team, but I'm not in love with their head coach. 

I like Bill O'Brien but I don't know if I can trust Savage over the course of 16 games. Watson needs time to learn, and that offensive line isn't good.

The Jags aren't going anywhere with that QB.

For the Colts to have a shot, they need Luck and their core players to be healthy. That hasn't happened.

My guess right now (and this keeps changing)

1. Titans 11-5

2. Texans 10-6

3. Colts 7-9

4. Jaguars 4-12

49 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Pagano has been the coach 5 years not 4.  

And all he did was show progress his first three years going further in the plaids each year.

Plus his best years my have been the last two where he took two untalented and injured teams to 500 records.    Those were good Pagano years not bad.    That's why he's still the coach.

The Colts are not going to win the south this year.   Likely not close.    But it won't be Pagano's fault.   This team is a mess.

But Pags will likely be fired and you'll be happy next year.

As long as we get Luck back at the point we expect which is between game 2-3 we can win the division. Especially if we are consistently able to run the football. We have the best offense in the division in my opinion. If we can maintain a balanced offense and not be forced into airing it out all the time. Defense should be better than last year. Houston has not proven to have a great offense yet. You can't say that if you're still not even certain or confident of who your starter is. I dont think they will beat the Titans twice this year. Still feel like we can best the Titans, Texans, and Jags. Any losses we had to the Texans and Jags were self inflicted wounds if you pull up the tape. And that is fact. I still dont respect Tenn. To me they still are not a mentally strong team. We just walk in and go to work on them each time we play. Mariota still to me is not an accomplished passer. And that defense still isnt much better than last year. Especially against exotic coverage and blitz pressures.

13 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

That is your opinion, not fact.

If the reasons Pagano has went two 8-8 seasons needs explaining to you I guess I would be wasting my time and yours. If you want to ignore Pagano coached this team to a AFC championship game in year three feel free but don't say Pagano has shown no progress.

For you to assume Pagano is going to be fired is way too pre mature.

You are so possessed with wanting Pagano fired you cant even stay on topic.

The defense has proven to be one of the worst defenses consistently in the last 4-5 years under Pagano, which is supposed to be his forte. You cannot deny that. Part of that is on Grigson, but part is also on Pagano for not coaching up his defense and having a disciplined and accountable team. 

And I'm not alone with wanting Pagano gone. Many of the local analysts want him gone also, due to the lack of progress. What has Pagano done to improve this team after getting smoked in the AFC title game?

32 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Pagano has been the coach 5 years not 4.  

And all he did was show progress his first three years going further in the plaids each year.

Plus his best years my have been the last two where he took two untalented and injured teams to 500 records.    Those were good Pagano years not bad.    That's why he's still the coach.

The Colts are not going to win the south this year.   Likely not close.    But it won't be Pagano's fault.   This team is a mess.

But Pags will likely be fired and you'll be happy next year.

I'm not counting the 2012 season since Arians coached most of that year. And I'm not a Pagano hater I just think this teams needs to start fresh with a guy Ballard wants, and I sure haven't seen much progress from the defensive side of the ball which is what Pagano was brought in to do. How long has he preached stopping the run and yet we still have major issues there. 

7 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I'm not counting the 2012 season since Arians coached most of that year. And I'm not a Pagano hater I just think this teams needs to start fresh with a guy Ballard wants, and I sure haven't seen much progress from the defensive side of the ball which is what Pagano was brought in to do. How long has he preached stopping the run and yet we still have major issues there. 

You haven't seen progress on the defensive side of the ball because Ryan Grigson didn't bring in any talent on that side of the ball.      That's, in part,  why he's no longer the GM.      A coach can only do so much with what he has.      

People here didn't like Manusky our former DC.       He gets fired,  goes to Washington and is now their DC and is doing a good job for the them with more talent.       Not surprising to me....

You need talent.     The Colts didn't hav much for the 5 years of Grigson.    Now we have a little more talent,  but too many key guys are hurt this year and the rest of the conference is better.    

I'm not married to Pagano.    I don't think he's a great coach,  just good solid coach.   But I expect Ballard to bring in his own guy and I'm fine with that.      I just want Pags to get a fair shake....

Been saying since mid May Titans....It is only me but they have the most complete team in division....BUT WHAT IS CONCERNING is that if they win 11 games (which I think they can ) THEY ARE A YOUNG TEAM and 1 in 3 chance they  start owning this division !!!!!

9 minutes ago, HOF19 said:

Been saying since mid May Titans....It is only me but they have the most complete team in division....BUT WHAT IS CONCERNING is that if they win 11 games (which I think they can ) THEY ARE A YOUNG TEAM and 1 in 3 chance they  start owning this division !!!!!

And ESPN  Predicting Titans go 11-5.......http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/32for32x170831/nfl-nation-2017-game-game-predictions-projected-records-all-32-teams

The defense had no talent.    The proof of that is what Ballard has done on the off-season.    He mostly focused on the defense.     You can only do so much if you don't have talent.

The defense has proven to be one of the worst defenses consistently in the last 4-5 years under Pagano, which is supposed to be his forte. You cannot deny that. Part of that is on Grigson, but part is also on Pagano for not coaching up his defense and having a disciplined and accountable team. 

And I'm not alone with wanting Pagano gone. Many of the local analysts want him gone also, due to the lack of progress. What has Pagano done to improve this team after getting smoked in the AFC title game?

Not coaching up his defense?  Really?

The following players all have had the best years of their careers under Pagano:

Darius Butler - Even the great Bellichick couldn't do anything with Butler, but he's been very productive for us over he past 5 years.  He had more pass defenses in 2013 than he had in both years with Bellichick and that was in one less start.  12 of his 15 career INTs came playing for Pagano.

Erik Walden - In the 7 years prior to coming to Indy, Walden had 9 sacks.  That's ~1.3 per year.  He's had 23 in 4 years with Indy.  That's 5.75 per season.  Quite an improvement.  He had 1 forced fumble in the 7 years before Indy but has had 6 in the 4 years here playing for Pagano.

Jerrell Freeman - Here's a guy that 31 teams felt was not good enough even to hold a spot on their practice squads.  He plays for Pagano for 4 years and now he's making $4mil per  year in  Chicago and has been to a Pro Bowl.

Vontae Davis - Miami was on the verge of giving up on him yet he's become one of the best CBs in the game since coming to Indy and playing for Pagano.

Robert Mathis - Say what you want..yes he had some fantastic years under Dungy and Caldwell, but his single best season was under Pagano.  How much of that was due to Pagano's influence and how much was due to 1) not having Freeney on the other side, 2) playing in a new scheme and 3) possible performance enhancement drugs?  No way to know for sure.  But the undeniable fact is he did have his best statistical season playing for Pagano.

Mike Adams - While playing for Pagano, he recorded career highs in Combined Tackles, Total Tackles, Interceptions and tied a career high in passes defensed. 

Rashaan Melvin, Chris Milton, Darryl Morris and Mathias Farley...these guys were all picked up off the street but played meaningful downs for us last year and, while no none of them were world beaters by any means, they did a respectable job for being guys just signed off the streets.  Melvin and Farley appear to still be in the Colts plans even with the new  GM in town. 

Yeah, Pagano clearly hasn't shown an ability to coach up players.  Not at all.  <----Heavy Sarcasm

4 minutes ago, J@son said:

Not coaching up his defense?  Really?

The following players all have had the best years of their careers under Pagano:

Darius Butler - Even the great Bellichick couldn't do anything with Butler, but he's been very productive for us over he past 5 years.  He had more pass defenses in 2013 than he had in both years with Bellichick and that was in one less start.  12 of his 15 career INTs came playing for Pagano.

Erik Walden - In the 7 years prior to coming to Indy, Walden had 9 sacks.  That's ~1.3 per year.  He's had 23 in 4 years with Indy.  That's 5.75 per season.  Quite an improvement.  He had 1 forced fumble in the 7 years before Indy but has had 6 in the 4 years here playing for Pagano.

Jerrell Freeman - Here's a guy that 31 teams felt was not good enough even to hold a spot on their practice squads.  He plays for Pagano for 4 years and now he's making $4mil per  year in  Chicago and has been to a Pro Bowl.

Vontae Davis - Miami was on the verge of giving up on him yet he's become one of the best CBs in the game since coming to Indy and playing for Pagano.

Robert Mathis - Say what you want..yes he had some fantastic years under Dungy and Caldwell, but his single best season was under Pagano.  How much of that was due to Pagano's influence and how much was due to 1) not having Freeney on the other side, 2) playing in a new scheme and 3) possible performance enhancement drugs?  No way to know for sure.  But the undeniable fact is he did have his best statistical season playing for Pagano.

Mike Adams - While playing for Pagano, he recorded career highs in Combined Tackles, Total Tackles, Interceptions and tied a career high in passes defensed. 

Rashaan Melvin, Chris Milton, Darryl Morris and Mathias Farley...these guys were all picked up off the street but played meaningful downs for us last year and, while no none of them were world beaters by any means, they did a respectable job for being guys just signed off the streets.  Melvin and Farley appear to still be in the Colts plans even with the new  GM in town. 

Yeah, Pagano clearly hasn't shown an ability to coach up players.  Not at all.  <----Heavy Sarcasm

Yeah, but he couldn't get Bjorn Werner to do anything!!

(sarcasm too)

4 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Sorry, if your not looking you wont see.