Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Julian Edelman may have tore ACL

RockThatBlue

4 minutes ago, Synthetic said:

Get ready for Brandin Cooks to have to step up his game with NE now....We're about to see if he is really going to live up to all the hype about him being the next Randy Moss. 

He just might. You could place a mannequin in at WR for the pats and the mannequin would get 1000 yards 10 touchdowns.

Just now, RockThatBlue said:

He just might. You could place a mannequin in at WR for the pats and the mannequin would get 1000 yards 10 touchdowns.

Brandin Cooks is a slot receiver at best. If they dare try using him the way they did Moss, like all the hype has built up over him, they're going to be greatly disappointed...Cooks struggled so much in New Orleans with every other role Payton gave him besides the slot position. 

I could end up being totally wrong and maybe the Pats do turn him into a truly lethal receiver, but out here in NOLA, Cooks wasn't all that great when he was outside the slot. His biggest issue was always in coverage where would get straight up abused by defenders playing tight spaces to him. He got outplayed thoroughly by rookie Michael Thomas last year, who could make hard catches in coverage. 

5 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

doesn't matter at all 24 points in the 1st qt.. lol Hogan is short and white. he'll be a great fill in!

Hogan ripped the Steelers to pieces in the AFCCG. He had the same number of production that Julio had vs Green Bay in the NFCCG that same day. 

I will say this, I feel bad for Edelman, the person and the player, because he has to go through rehab that will take away a year of his career. I don't feel for Pats fans, as they would be laughing at our expense had it happened to Hilton or Moncrief. Good Luck to Edelman in his recovery.

9 hours ago, Synthetic said:

Brandin Cooks is a slot receiver at best. If they dare try using him the way they did Moss, like all the hype has built up over him, they're going to be greatly disappointed...Cooks struggled so much in New Orleans with every other role Payton gave him besides the slot position. 

I could end up being totally wrong and maybe the Pats do turn him into a truly lethal receiver, but out here in NOLA, Cooks wasn't all that great when he was outside the slot. His biggest issue was always in coverage where would get straight up abused by defenders playing tight spaces to him. He got outplayed thoroughly by rookie Michael Thomas last year, who could make hard catches in coverage. 

I disagree. Cooks didn't struggle in every other role besides the slot, more like the opposite. He's not a great YAC machine despite his speed and he doesn't like contact. Outside deep threat is where he worked the best. Press can work on him but not many corners have the foot speed to recover if they fail to press him good.

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You guys are probably right, BB can usually plug in John Doe and they play well but this might be a bigger loss than many think? Edleman is Very Good, maybe it's the system is to why but he still gets open very easily a lot.

With Edelman missing games, Pats haven't won a SB without a healthy Edelman recently. I still believe him over Wes Walker when the going gets tough versus elite Ds has been the difference in winning a SB. 

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I will say this, I feel bad for Edelman, the person and the player, because he has to go through rehab that will take away a year of his career. I don't feel for Pats fans, as they would be laughing at our expense had it happened to Hilton or Moncrief. Good Luck to Edelman in his recovery.

Yeah I like the guy too.  Tough dude.  Hate to see anyone get hurt even if it is a Patriot.  Thing is like others have said it won't effect the team much.

I think people are underestimating how great Edleman is. Yeah BB can plug in John Doe or whoever and make it work TO AN EXTENT but I think this is a bad loss for the Pats. I think he is more valuable than Gronk actually with the Roster they have. The Pats can get away with winning without Gronk because a lot of what Tom does he is quick hitters to Edleman and speed guys, Edleman had sure hands too, better than Welker IMO.

46 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think people are underestimating how great Edleman is. Yeah BB can plug in John Doe or whoever and make it work TO AN EXTENT but I think this is a bad loss for the Pats. I think he is more valuable than Gronk actually with the Roster they have. The Pats can get away with winning without Gronk because a lot of what Tom does he is quick hitters to Edleman and speed guys, Edleman had sure hands too, better than Welker IMO.

The thing with Gronk is that you can't mask him not being there. Gronk is like an x factor. He's a cheat code that only one player in the league (himself) can ever truly have the same amount of impact at that position. 

Edelman is crucial. But there are at least three receivers on the team that can fill in for different aspects of Edelman's work. Amendola is a more clutch but less consistent version of Edelman. Cooks is excellent in the slot, an overall better receiver, and significantly faster. Those two guys will get more plays in schemes designed for Edelman. 

It won't completely replace him and they are weaker without him. But this was a team that was loaded with fire power already and will still be without him. 

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would agree.  Plus he's smart having been a QB and knows how to adjust and Brady knows to throw to a spot to that adjustment

It's still a team game and he's only one man but a big piece nonetheless.

Goodbye Pats....maybe :)

2 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

And the Giants don't win without Tyree, but how good was he really? Edleman's not that good and Bill Belichik probably already has the problem fixed. That's what/who people underestimate...still.

Edleman's not that good? Really? I guess being Brady's safety net and go to receiver makes him no good? :scratch:  How about a first down making receiver?

2 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

Edleman's not that good

I'm going to stop you there and have you watch this play again from the Superbowl:

That play was only on 1st down, but with 2:27 left in the 4th Q, down by 8 pts, it was super clutch. it gave the Patriot their "lucky Superbowl reception" they so desperately craved over so many years, and I'd wager the Patriots felt invincible after it happened, like the Football Gods were favoring them.

Can someone, like Hogan, be plugged in and achieve a similar result? I doubt it.

51 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

Can someone, like Hogan, be plugged in and achieve a similar result? I doubt it

We thought it was over when #83 left.. Edelman just stepped right in.

Just like Faulk, Woodhead, and Vereen... Lewis and White are the same people.

Jonas Gray (wth is that) looked like Blount against us.. 

I'm sure Hogan, Amendola, a rock.. will be just fine for them

15 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

We thought it was over when #83 left.. Edelman just stepped right in.

Just like Faulk, Woodhead, and Vereen... Lewis and White are the same people.

Jonas Gray (wth is that) looked like Blount against us.. 

I'm sure Hogan, Amendola, a rock.. will be just fine for them

And they're just completely ignoring the Tyree comparison. 

Tough blow for the Pats. But they're better equipped this season to deal with it than they've been in the past when Edelman was injured and missing games (2015). They have three backs (Burkhead, Lewis, and White) who can line up outside in traditional receiver spots, and if they don't lose anyone else they're ok depth-wise. You can't replace the chemistry with Brady but you hope that someone else steps it up. A lot of the same things were said last year when Gronk went on IR, so you've just gotta see how it's going to play out I guess.