Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If we had the #1 defense in the NFL....

ColtsBlitz

How many SuperBowls would we win with a #1 D? Personally I think we would have over 3 with Luck. I'm obviously being unrealistic, expecting this defense to get anywhere near #1 from 30, but I thought I'd see what you guys think about it. 

2 hours ago, ColtsBlitz said:

How many SuperBowls would we win with a #1 D? Personally I think we would have over 3 with Luck. I'm obviously being unrealistic, expecting this defense to get anywhere near #1 from 30, but I thought I'd see what you guys think about it. 

Hard to say but within the Peyton Era i would say about 5 within the Luck era 2.

Just now, ProblChld32 said:

Hard to say but within the Peyton Era i would say about 5 within the Luck era 2.

Luck had a better start to his career than Manning did believe it or not. I think the arrow is only pointing up with Luck, which stats have shown outside of his 2015 year. Rose by over 1% each year in comp.  percentage, last year at 74.6%and this year he would be at almost 76% with that trend. 2 superbowls would be a bit low imo, but I wouldn't be upset with that either. 

If we had a number 1 defense in any of the years we had Andrew we would've had 1 super bowl lol and that's the year we made it to the afc championships..any year after I think not because the offense struggles to play a full game regardless of the defense  eventually that great defense will get tired if the offense can't score 

3 hours ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Several. You have to assume with the #1 D we'd also have anywhere from 12 to 14 wins, 1st seed and home field advantage throughout the playoffs. 

19 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

I like this answer.    Seems realistic.   Imagine how many fewer INT's Manning would have had if he didn't feel he needed to score on every possession?

It's all about coaches guys. If the Colts had Dungy for more than 5 years, like the Patriots have Belichick, the Colts were just as successfull as the Pats are. 

It's as hard to find a championship caliber HC as to find a hall of fame caliber QB. Those who got one, are the lucky franchises. And the most successfull ones.

21 hours ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Luck had a better start to his career than Manning did believe it or not. I think the arrow is only pointing up with Luck, which stats have shown outside of his 2015 year. Rose by over 1% each year in comp.  percentage, last year at 74.6%and this year he would be at almost 76% with that trend. 2 superbowls would be a bit low imo, but I wouldn't be upset with that either. 

With Peyton you at one time saw an offense running on all cylinders. They were a well oiled machine and feared by all in the NFL other than maybe 3 teams. Hopefully we can see the current offense get into that kind of thing. I have no doubt Andrew would look spectacular. 

2 hours ago, Peterk2011 said:

It's all about coaches guys. If the Colts had Dungy for more than 5 years, like the Patriots have Belichick, the Colts were just as successfull as the Pats are. 

It's as hard to find a championship caliber HC as to find a hall of fame caliber QB. Those who got one, are the lucky franchises. And the most successfull ones.

Having Bb will help anybody obviously but Peyton didnt need a hall of fame coach, he was the coach of the team every year and the qb coach and o coordinator. It was him all the film he watched and work he did with his team he was everything. What was the difference maker between the pats and colts other than coaching was how many hall of fame players on defense the pats had. Mcginest, Harrison, law, mayo, wilfork, bruschi, seymour, ninkovich and whoever else they were stacked. Peyton threw 4 picks to ty law in one game. If Peyton had even half as many hof defenders on his team as tom did Peyton won at least 1 or 2 more as a colt. 

17 hours ago, Zalazar Elijahh said:

Having Bb will help anybody obviously but Peyton didnt need a hall of fame coach, he was the coach of the team every year and the qb coach and o coordinator. It was him all the film he watched and work he did with his team he was everything. What was the difference maker between the pats and colts other than coaching was how many hall of fame players on defense the pats had. Mcginest, Harrison, law, mayo, wilfork, bruschi, seymour, ninkovich and whoever else they were stacked. Peyton threw 4 picks to ty law in one game. If Peyton had even half as many hof defenders on his team as tom did Peyton won at least 1 or 2 more as a colt. 

Peyton was the best QB I ever watched.   His mind was always in the game.   He knew the defenses weren't very good and he made the other team change their strategy.   Teams could always run right through the Colts defensive line easier than any other team.    I never seen so many teams give up on the run against a team that you can easily run against.   Manning knew the Colts needed to score early and often.  

9 hours ago, Myles said:

Peyton was the best QB I ever watched.   His mind was always in the game.   He knew the defenses weren't very good and he made the other team change their strategy.   Teams could always run right through the Colts defensive line easier than any other team.    I never seen so many teams give up on the run against a team that you can easily run against.   Manning knew the Colts needed to score early and often.  

Yeah exactly. Growing up my dad (who is a jets fan) would always tell me how any team versing peyton manning always knew they were gonna put up points and score no matter what team it was. But will you score more points than Peyton does? Literally every week Peyton HAD to score touchdowns, at leastt 2 a game. to even just have a chance to win. And for him to have been the most winning qb until tom broke it by playing that way is just unreal. 

16 hours ago, Zalazar Elijahh said:

Yeah exactly. Growing up my dad (who is a jets fan) would always tell me how any team versing peyton manning always knew they were gonna put up points and score no matter what team it was. But will you score more points than Peyton does? Literally every week Peyton HAD to score touchdowns, at leastt 2 a game. to even just have a chance to win. And for him to have been the most winning qb until tom broke it by playing that way is just unreal. 

Jets fan father...that's rough. My dad, uncle, and grandpa are all Colts fans, but my brother went with his friends and my other Uncle and is a Jets fan. Constant misery.

On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 2:48 PM, Malakai432 said:

Theoretically, heck if they had a top 15 defense every year in the last 19 years they probably would've won a truckload of super bowls.

That was the mistake made by the previous GMs thought process 

of offense and skill players first. They built teams to sell tickets

and Ballard is building to win titles.

2 hours ago, deedub75 said:

It's hard to afford both a top D and top O these days. 

I vote for top D. Give Luck a very good offensive line and let

him figure out how to score with less talent around him.

Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer did it and they aren't half the

QB Luck is.

6 hours ago, bababooey said:

Jets fan father...that's rough. My dad, uncle, and grandpa are all Colts fans, but my brother went with his friends and my other Uncle and is a Jets fan. Constant misery.

Cant choose your parents football teams lol. I definitely am happy I'm a colts fan now that's the least I can say

54 minutes ago, a06cc said:

Oh how we all forget about Marvin Harrison. This forum doesn't give him enough credit. Peyton didn't make him look good at all. He was great in his own right. 

Agree and people who think otherwise look at Reggie's career numbers who played in pretty much the same offense for most of his career with the same QB for most of his career and then realize that Marvin's are significantly a head of him in some areas.  Marvin was a truly special player.  He's even more special when you realize until Reggie got here he was really the Colts only reliable WR and other teams STILL couldn't stop him.

On 5/15/2017 at 4:58 PM, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Several. You have to assume with the #1 D we'd also have anywhere from 12 to 14 wins, 1st seed and home field advantage throughout the playoffs. 

Yeah, this team has already proven it can score. The O-line should be better and I like the Marlon Mack pick. Go Frank and Andrew! With a #1 D the Patriots would definitely have some competition.

11 hours ago, bleevit said:

Yeah, this team has already proven it can score. The O-line should be better and I like the Marlon Mack pick. Go Frank and Andrew! With a #1 D the Patriots would definitely have some competition.

In that scenario it would basically come down to whether the game was in New England or Indy.

18 hours ago, a06cc said:

This forum doesn't give him enough credit.

i dont see it that way

hes a hall of famer and i bet most here think he is a top 5 WR all time.  we talk more about reggie because he played games with luck and could make a great coach