Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who's left that you want?

I think people need to understand that the Colts were never going to be big spenders. Ballard stated he wants to grow within. I know it may take a couple years but he stated that he's not setting high expectations. The great teams build within and I believe he will try and do the same. 

16 minutes ago, chad72 said:

How much do we have to spend to get to the cap floor?

Cap floor is over four years, so there is no amount. It's also cash spending, so that can be distributed in many ways. I think the Colts are at something like $95-100m in cash spending in 2017 (could be wrong), so if you want to be at 89% of that this year, you need to spend another $50m. We have a first rounder who will get a $15m SB, so that's part of that. 

Edit: Per Spotrac, we're at just under $114m cash in 2017, more than I thought, pending any more roster moves (like releasing Art Jones). 

Edited by Superman
updated info

There's plenty of good players still out there.  I can't believe Williams, Hankins, and Poe are still there at NT.  Any one of them would be a great upgrade.  Don't forget Hightower and Simon.  And two guards Lang and Pastor.  It's early.  We can easily get a couple of difference makers. 

2 hours ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

I think people need to understand that the Colts were never going to be big spenders. Ballard stated he wants to grow within. I know it may take a couple years but he stated that he's not setting high expectations. The great teams build within and I believe he will try and do the same. 

free agency just started

29 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

free agency just started

I know that. I've seen all kinds of people on here hoping that these top free agents will be signed and I just don't get how people still think it can be done. Yes it is possible but I think Ballard will sign a couple low key free agents especially the way the defense is right now. Ballard made it clear he wants to build through the draft and raise their own. He even said he's not setting unrealistic goals that can't be achieved.  Signs that don't expect a whole lot right away. I understand that the fans want rosters holes to be filled asap but it takes time. I'm a realistic colts fan and know it may take a couple years to get done. Ballard is credited as an excellent evaluator and I trust he will nail the future drafts.

1 of Hankins/Poe/Williams

Brown

Kendricks (once he is cut)

Lang (or a depth signing like Fluker)

Claiborne (if the deal wasn't outrageous)

And then I would still explore a trade for Richardson if it made sense. Though I am not sure if Ballard would agree. 

So the Colts get two starting ILBs in FA, beef up the DL with an upgrade at NT (and maybe at DE)...and add a starting CB opposite Davis. And then go crazy on secondary players and pass rushers in the draft...as the draft is stocked with them.

DT/DE: Cut Arthur Jones, sign Lawrence Guy (2 years).

NT: cut Parry, do not resign Kerr, sign Cam Thomas (2-3 years).

OLB: sign Jabaal Sheard/John Simon as a starter (4 years), Jarvis Jones/Alex Okafor as rotational (2-3 years).

ILB: Hightower or Minter (4 years).

OG: T.J. Lang (4 years).

1 hour ago, akcolt said:

Logan NT 6.5M

Hodges ILB 5M

Simon Edge 6M

Okafor Edge 2-3M

Webster CB 3-4M 

I would literally break something. That's for a poor man. Donta Hightower, Deandre Levy, Connor Barwin, TJ Lang. Or Poe, Hankins, etc. No loser mid tier guys who wont improve the team. High and Levy are top tier ILB's. Barwin can put up 10-12 sacks in a 34.

Hightower - 4/40

Lang 3/30

Barwin. 2/14

Levy 1/8

Josh Gordon by any means necessary. We could then get 2 EDGE rushers back to back rds 1 and 2.

I understand that we don't want to sign players looking to break the bank but D. Poe and D. Hightower IMO deserves the money. I would fluff their pockets and look forward to the draft. I would also look to sign J. Sheard and J. Fluker at 1 or 2 yr deals.

In terms of who I want left:

TJ Lang (shore up the right side of the line)
Johnathan Hankins ( Big NT clogging up the Middle)

Jabaal Sheard ( decent Pass rusher on one end) 

Morris Claiborne or Prince Amukamara (as #2 CB with maybe Nickell Robey Coleman as a nickel too)

And then in the draft maybe trade up to get a future leader on the defense like Jamal Adams (allow Geathers to play ILB at times), another Rusher like Jordan Willis and fill out other needs like RB.

6 hours ago, K-148 said:

DT/DE: Cut Arthur Jones, sign Lawrence Guy (2 years).

NT: cut Parry, do not resign Kerr, sign Cam Thomas (2-3 years).

OLB: sign Jabaal Sheard/John Simon as a starter (4 years), Jarvis Jones/Alex Okafor as rotational (2-3 years).

ILB: Hightower or Minter (4 years).

OG: T.J. Lang (4 years).

Somebody  help me out here, but wasn't Guy on our roster a couple of years ago?

As far as my wishes, I think it will be a lean year on big signings, but if I had a "you pick two" right now...

Jonathan Hankins

Datone Jones

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

I would literally break something. That's for a poor man. Donta Hightower, Deandre Levy, Connor Barwin, TJ Lang. Or Poe, Hankins, etc. No loser mid tier guys who wont improve the team. High and Levy are top tier ILB's. Barwin can put up 10-12 sacks in a 34.

Hightower - 4/40

Lang 3/30

Barwin. 2/14

Levy 1/8

Josh Gordon by any means necessary. We could then get 2 EDGE rushers back to back rds 1 and 2.

What are you talking about? Hodges 26 is the 3rd ranked ILB by PFF 82.4 a better fit in my opinion than Brown. A converted S from PSU. He would give us the atheltic sideline to sideline ILB we desperately need. Hightower is 1st 85.7. There's no question he is the guy to get. He's staying in NE. Levy has played in 6 games since he got paid in 2014 and is turning 30. Be careful throwing things it could result in Levy back on the IR. 

Logan is a run stuffing NT that would fit perfectly in our D. He'd be the best NT we suited up since transitioning to a 3-4. Simon is the best young SAM on the market. He sets a strong edge and has flashed good pass rushing ability. These 3 guys are not losers by any means. They are starters at positions we need help that upgrade the front 7 immediately. 

Webster is a CB I borrowed from Superman's mock. The kids a special teams dynamo. His work there would be worth adding him. Denver has tried to resign him but he wants to start with Talib Harris and Roby under contract the Broncos can't offer snaps at CB. He would would be a good addition to our secondary. 

Okafor could pay off huge. He didn't see much time until his second year in the league and answered with 8 sacks. It was his injury that opened the door to Freeny's last hoorah. That injury the emergence of Golden and addition of C Jones has limited Okafor's reps. He's delivered when given the chance. There just has been a lot of opportunity. He's the forgotten man in Arizona and could end up the gem of free agency. 

These are all better signings than Poe who hasn't done much to help KC's run D in years plus his body is breaking down. He's a name that will be grossly over paid. Levy as I said 6 games in the last 2 years knee problem. You want to give him 8M?  

Lang is going to be 30 coming off hip and foot injuries. I would have trouble giving a G 10M a year the injuries and age pass. Barwin will be 30 too but a short team friendly deal I could see getting him back in a 3-4 see what happens. 

Do you see a pattern with your with your signings? Let me help minus Hightower who I don't think leaves NE. You want to sign players that'll be 30 by the start of the season. 2 of the 3 have had recent injury history.  Then everyone is going to be * that these guys aren't putting up numbers like they were before injuries and time moved in on them. Josh Gordon really? Great locker room guy. 

Levy, Lang, Poe and potentially Barwin are the kinds of signings that give free agency a bad name. You want to sign big money names in hopes that they play like they have and don't slow with age and injury I think a better route is to look for guys who are in a bad place/scheme i.e. SF Philly or stuck on the depth chart whose best ball is possibly still in front of them. 

2 hours ago, akcolt said:

What are you talking about? Hodges 26 is the 3rd ranked ILB by PFF 82.4 a better fit in my opinion than Brown. A converted S from PSU. He would give us the atheltic sideline to sideline ILB we desperately need. Hightower is 1st 85.7. There's no question he is the guy to get. He's staying in NE. Levy has played in 6 games since he got paid in 2014 and is turning 30. Be careful throwing things it could result in Levy back on the IR. 

Logan is a run stuffing NT that would fit perfectly in our D. He'd be the best NT we suited up since transitioning to a 3-4. Simon is the best young SAM on the market. He sets a strong edge and has flashed good pass rushing ability. These 3 guys are not losers by any means. They are starters at positions we need help that upgrade the front 7 immediately. 

Webster is a CB I borrowed from Superman's mock. The kids a special teams dynamo. His work there would be worth adding him. Denver has tried to resign him but he wants to start with Talib Harris and Roby under contract the Broncos can't offer snaps at CB. He would would be a good addition to our secondary. 

Okafor could pay off huge. He didn't see much time until his second year in the league and answered with 8 sacks. It was his injury that opened the door to Freeny's last hoorah. That injury the emergence of Golden and addition of C Jones has limited Okafor's reps. He's delivered when given the chance. There just has been a lot of opportunity. He's the forgotten man in Arizona and could end up the gem of free agency. 

These are all better signings than Poe who hasn't done much to help KC's run D in years plus his body is breaking down. He's a name that will be grossly over paid. Levy as I said 6 games in the last 2 years knee problem. You want to give him 8M?  

Lang is going to be 30 coming off hip and foot injuries. I would have trouble giving a G 10M a year the injuries and age pass. Barwin will be 30 too but a short team friendly deal I could see getting him back in a 3-4 see what happens. 

Do you see a pattern with your with your signings? Let me help minus Hightower who I don't think leaves NE. You want to sign players that'll be 30 by the start of the season. 2 of the 3 have had recent injury history.  Then everyone is going to be * that these guys aren't putting up numbers like they were before injuries and time moved in on them. Josh Gordon really? Great locker room guy. 

Levy, Lang, Poe and potentially Barwin are the kinds of signings that give free agency a bad name. You want to sign big money names in hopes that they play like they have and don't slow with age and injury I think a better route is to look for guys who are in a bad place/scheme i.e. SF Philly or stuck on the depth chart whose best ball is possibly still in front of them. 

Nice points made. You have me on board with your signings lol.