Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Hassan Ridgeway, DL, Texas

21isSuperman

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

Classic two gapper. Just not a lot of penetration.

Edit: Based on the highlights ESPN just ran, he gets more penetration than I thought.

I switch back and forth between ESPN and NFL network after the Colts pick. Watching the film and listening to the verbiage , how can you not love this pick at # 117 ? I love this draft , especially rounds 1,3 and 4. I don't hate our second .. just that he no doubt has big bust posibilities. But plenty picks in later part of round 2 end up to be nothing.. so no big deal there.

2 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Do you project him being able to play NT and 5-tech in the pros?  Or would you leave him exclusively at 5-tech?

I think I need to see more of him. I thought he was an arm-locking two-gapper, but evidently he's more than that. I think he can play 5-tech and nose. He might be able to play 3-tech also. He's probably best at 5-tech.

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

Do you project him being able to play NT and 5-tech in the pros?  Or would you leave him exclusively at 5-tech?

I don't think he's better than Langford or Anderson to play the end spots but at NT he's going to be far and away a better prospect than Parry.  Which is awesome because we can rotate them which I'd say benefits both guys tremendously.

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

To all..If you can dial up a reel of his highlights, check 'em out..

...when he;s motivated...he's scary

No doubt!  I really like this pick up.  Might be my favorite pick thus far outside of Kelly who addressed an obvious need for us.  Colts are tending to the trenches!

2 hours ago, Manning1887 said:

Great pick in the 4th round! Lots of uncertainty surrounding Henry Anderson and Arthur Jones given their injury history. 

I think Henry will be alright. Jones I'm not so confident about. I'd say it's about a 40% he stays healthy right now. I hate to say it, but I just don't think he's gonna stay healthy.

4 hours ago, Surge89 said:

I * love this pick 

He's going to be immediately an impact player and a ton of room to grow. This draft is starting to really come together!

I agree 100%.  I was a bit skeptical at first but I can't wait flr the season.  

He is a first round talent but with conditioning issues. He can play up and down the D Line. On Sub packages. If he is healthy and can get control of his conditioning then I think we have a top 4-5 D Lineman in this draft BUT those are huge if's

7 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

To all..If you can dial up a reel of his highlights, check 'em out..

...when he;s motivated...he's scary

The scary thing is what you said before "he's scary"  

Motivation concerns and a myriad of health issues that I think had him missing games and underachieving.  Why does it always seem we get the guys with big giant "?" marks and how often do we get the upside in those cases?  

2 hours ago, JPFolks said:

Motivation concerns and a myriad of health issues that I think had him missing games and underachieving.  Why does it always seem we get the guys with big giant "?" marks and how often do we get the upside in those cases?  

True but if he didn't have any issues at all he would have been a late first early second pick. Has just as much ability as any we saw at the end of rd 1 or there in the second so if it wasn't for his issues we would never have got him. It all comes down to can we get the good out of him or will the injuries or inconsistencies be what wins out. At least he has a high upside. No reason to be pessimistic yet...lets at least give him a chance to prove one or the other on the field. No reason to convict  any of our players before they have a chance....unless we just want to be miserable SOBs....surely we don't have any of those around here lol.

I also take this to mean that Zach Kerr's roster spot is in jeopardy. Ridgeway way can play DE and/or NT in our scheme. He should compete early for time as a rotational guy and probably will be the long term DE once Langford retires.

51 minutes ago, Superman said:

No bend, below average size, decent straight line speed, good jumps. And he can't bench press.

Did you look at it compared to DEs? Looks like fancy sword...

Small, explosive but at a straight line only.

8 minutes ago, coltsfansince65 said:

The highlight film looks impressive. He looks like he plays bigger than he is on that film. He looks lean to me for a 300+ pounder.

I hope he can stay healthy & motivated.

which is weird, because one of his knocks is that he's not always in shape.

18 hours ago, JPFolks said:

Players that don't have question marks go in the first.  Even those usually have them. 

15 minutes ago, stitches said:

BTW here's what I found from his pro-day:

He pretty much dropped a full second on his 3-cone. This is extremely weird.

That's why I don't quote combine #'s as a reliable source of telling how athletic a player is or how well a player moves. The combine #'s are interesting but often lie and are quite honestly silly if someone uses them to try to determine how good of a football player a guy is or will be, They don't determine a players sideline to sideline speed or acceleration off the snap in a real game or NT's ability to hold up his gap in a 2 gap system or his ability to shed a block and chase down a rb. I also think Mock Draftable comes out with some bad comparisons based on those numbers

Just my opinions of course

5 minutes ago, Gavin said:

That's why I don't quote combine #'s as a reliable source of telling how athletic a player is or how well a player moves. The combine #'s are interesting but often lie and are quite honestly silly if someone uses them to try to determine how good of a football player a guy is or will be, They don't determine a players sideline to sideline speed or acceleration off the snap in a real game or NT's ability to hold up his gap in a 2 gap system or his ability to shed a block and chase down a rb. I also think Mock Draftable comes out with some bad comparisons based on those numbers

Just my opinions of course

Yeah, Antonio Mirrison seems to be another one of those players whose numbers don't reflect his athleticism and after the draft it turns out he was on bed with an infection and on antibiotics for 6 weeks prior to his pro-day tests. Then he goes out and runs 5+ seconds 40 and people unfamiliar with the situation(I was one of them too) think he's slow as hell.

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah, Antonio Mirrison seems to be another one of those players whose numbers don't reflect his athleticism and after the draft it turns out he was on bed with an infection and on antibiotics for 6 weeks prior to his pro-day tests. Then he goes out and runs 5+ seconds 40 and people unfamiliar with the situation(I was one of them too) think he's slow as hell.

NFL's draft profile is pretty well spot on with him In my opinion. I would have preferred a ILB that's better in coverage...I would have went with Su'a Cravens for that and kept pick 48. Then came back in the 5th and got Houston Carson in the 5th (who went in the 6th) instead of Haeg. Then get Fackrell in the 3rd

20 hours ago, dgambill said:

True but if he didn't have any issues at all he would have been a late first early second pick. Has just as much ability as any we saw at the end of rd 1 or there in the second so if it wasn't for his issues we would never have got him. It all comes down to can we get the good out of him or will the injuries or inconsistencies be what wins out. At least he has a high upside. No reason to be pessimistic yet...lets at least give him a chance to prove one or the other on the field. No reason to convict  any of our players before they have a chance....unless we just want to be miserable SOBs....surely we don't have any of those around here lol.

I was simply wondering how often we've taken a guy with those question marks and gotten the best out of them?  I don't know how many we HAVE gotten the good side, but I can think of quite a few that turned out badly.  That was all I was asking.  

4 hours ago, wig said:

Players that don't have question marks go in the first.  Even those usually have them. 

But do you know of players in the Grigson/Pagano era with injury and motivation issues where we've gotten the best out of them?  Perhaps there are some, but I can only think of guys no longer with the team.  

16 hours ago, JPFolks said:

I was simply wondering how often we've taken a guy with those question marks and gotten the best out of them?  I don't know how many we HAVE gotten the good side, but I can think of quite a few that turned out badly.  That was all I was asking.  

Sorry...I didn't mean to imply you were bashing the guy or anything. You do make a good point. All I meant was that was the very reason he was a 4th rd pick and not a first day pick. Low risk high reward kinda guy...but yes he has to keep his motor running high and keep him on the field. I didn't mean to sound snippy...just days of hearing people complain about our picks and they haven't even shown up for their photo ops yet just seems entirely pessimistic and purposely foul...and well we've seen so many of those on the board my tone probably wasn't the best. You do have a good valid point about the kid. I hope he works out...we could use his presence inside and for most analysts he was our best value pick of the draft...so that's probably the kiss of death lol.

22 hours ago, Superman said:

No bend, below average size, decent straight line speed, good jumps. And he can't bench press.

Did you look at it compared to DEs? Looks like fancy sword...

On 5/1/2016 at 6:33 AM, Dustin said:

one of the weirdest webs I've seen

http://www.mockdraftable.com/player/7492/

Seems like the Colts had Ridgeway's 3cone @ 7.32(I suppose from Pro-day), which again is about 1 second faster than the combine result mockdraftable is using.

ChYsv8uUgAANx8Q.jpg