Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are the Colt's pacing Bradshaw?

Valpo2004

Colts have gotten a lot of flak for not playing Bradshaw more and giving more touches then Richardson.  Bradshaw has been arguably more productive with the football in the touches he does get.

I thought about it a bit and I'm wondering if the coaching staff isn't attempting to pace Bradshaw to try and keep him healthy for the playoffs?

Colts have gotten a lot of flak for not playing Bradshaw more and giving more touches then Richardson.  Bradshaw has been arguably more productive with the football in the touches he does get.

I thought about it a bit and I'm wondering if the coaching staff isn't attempting to pace Bradshaw to try and keep him healthy for the playoffs?

Not pacing him for the playoffs just pacing him to try to minimize the injury.  Any more than 12 touches a game and the team risks an injury to him.

Also the jags game was the first game where TRich played more snaps than Bradshaw.

Absolutely Bradshaw is no longer that every down back guy. Id prefer him splitting carries to prevent the wear and tear on his body as well as keep the legs fresh. 

Absolutely Bradshaw is no longer that every down back guy. Id prefer him splitting carries to prevent the wear and tear on his body as well as keep the legs fresh.

Hopefully late in the year if we're locked into the playoffs or about to secure a spot they rest Bradshaw and let Trent & Boom take over

Give Bradshaw his own few bye weeks so we can have him absolutely fresh

Good idea if they are. He was a bruising RB with the Giants, and if he's fresh, and can be a back that wears other teams down.

Bingo TOC! Bradshaw wears down defenses as games progress. That's why I call him a bulldozer with speed not a battering ram. A battering ram does it instantly; a bulldozer wears you down gradually creating, wider & wider running lanes to drive a semi through in the 2nd half. 

Yep, sharing his reps with TR is a smart move like all the brilliant people above have so eloquently stated. TR had a decent showing vs the Jags yesterday, but I need to see more. It was respectable though. I will give him that. 

I thought you said we were going 5-11 this season?!

Yes, he did say that SCC, but he's like me he loves this team & hates losing more than anything to lose. You've gotta admire his passion though. It's easy to get discouraged when a talented RB is not playing up to his expected level. Believe me, I've been there many times before myself.  haha

We have the talent to kick caboose when firing on all cylinders. That's what gets fans so upset when they just are not clicking & they are out of sync on the field of play. 

That & so many 3rd & long plays to convert all the darn time...Too much pressure on Luck to save our squad all the time & keep drives alive. 

I like the run distribution between Bradshaw and Richardson for the most part.  Actually with Bradshaw shouldering some of the load, Trent has looked somewhat better when he is in there.  I have been down on Trent but I am noticing a slight improvement with him.  He is certainly giving effort even if the results aren't always there.  I hope it continues and that Bradshaw can stay healthy and available for our playoff push. 

Yes, he did say that SCC, but he's like me he loves this team & hates losing more than anything to lose. You've gotta admire his passion though. It's easy to get discouraged when a talented RB is not playing up to his expected level. Believe me, I've been there many times before myself.  haha

We have the talent to kick caboose when firing on all cylinders. That's what gets fans so upset when they just are not clicking & they are out of sync on the field of play. 

That & so many 3rd & long plays to convert all the darn time...Too much pressure on Luck to save our squad all the time & keep drives alive.

I admire passion my friend and you're a great example of how it can be a very positive thing but there's ways and means to portray it. Not everyone can follow your sterling example :)

Does it mean you're not so doom and gloom this week?

No, it doesn't. It means that I have more confidence in the fact our division will be so bad that we're basically handed the playoff spot

Now, if (name not to be mentioned) does what he did Sunday for the rest of the season, then yes my doom & gloom shall pass

So far I like what the coaching staff is handling this.If Richardson can get it going alittle better.I think that we will be ok.We need Bradshaw For the whole season and playoffs then we will be hard to defend against because teams won't be able to load up the box in the running game. Hopefully we can resign Bradshaw to a longer contract Than just 1 yr after this season if he can stay healthy.

If one has followed this guys history...     being careful with his workload is a given.

Indy is using dude perfectly. 

As a long time Giants fan, it is in you guys best interest to lesson the load on him  right now.  Then come playoff time I would give him the most reps.  Tough hard nose back that would want all the touches if he could.  We put a lot of wear and tear on him when he was here.  Keep him fresh for the playoff!!!  Hated to see Hicks go, you guys got a steal in him and should use him more than your using him.  Long time Colts fan by the way!!!  

I think we have 2 average running backs who are sharing the workload.

You could say that about Trent at this point.  Bradshaw is really good if you don't count the fact that you have to be careful not to let him get too much of the workload.

If he could handle the workload he'd easy be a 3 down back.

As a long time Giants fan, it is in you guys best interest to lesson the load on him  right now.  Then come playoff time I would give him the most reps.  Tough hard nose back that would want all the touches if he could.  We put a lot of wear and tear on him when he was here.  Keep him fresh for the playoff!!!  Hated to see Hicks go, you guys got a steal in him and should use him more than your using him.  Long time Colts fan by the way!!!  

Quite frankly I don't understand why Nicks didn't go to Carolina to play.  I'm glad he didn't but it would have seemed in his best interest to do so.  He would have been at worst the #2 guy there, possibly #1 because his main competition is a rookie.

But here he's just the #3 guy and that's not even counting the tight ends.  

If TY misses some time it will help him out a lot but right now his problem is the depth of our WR corps.

I will say that the biggest effect seems to be in the redzone.  He doesn't seem to get many targets outside of the redzone.

No, they are letting TRich pound them down some and take away their energy then letting Bradshaw turn it up a notch.

I have always liked Bradshaw, and considered him our best back by far since he has been here -- but with that being said, I do think it's wise to keep both guys fresh and able to hit the holes. They seem to feed off each other and unselfishly simply do whatever they are called upon to do.  Bradshaw's play is teaching Richardson week by week (in my opinion) and having them both is a great luxury to have! It makes it tough for the opposing teams to key on one particular style...?? Just some thoughts... Can still remember how hard he ran with the G men when alternating with Jacobs I think.

It makes sense, but they are both getting close to the same number of snaps. Richardson slightly more, but overall I believe the philosophy is working to keep both backs fresh. 

Yeah and he doesn't practice some days through the week for rest.

Its a great idea, when he was with NY he didnt practice much but showed up on game day this was done to keep him healthy at that time also.  I have always thought he was an excellent back as I watch a lot of Giants games we used to call him the little ball of hate he just runs so violently.  He was a great pickup for us and barring injury has lots left in the tank.

I'm fine with them splitting the carries in an attempt to keep Bradshaw fresh, but please stop giving Trent the runs on early and critical downs. He puts us in too many 2nd and longs and hasn't converted on any of his short yardage goal line runs yet. Let Bradshaw set the tempo on 1st down and give him the red zone work, and just let Trent take the 2nd-3rd and manageables to build some confidence 

It makes sense to pace him. Bradshaw has had a lot of injuries over the years. The last two games were pretty much domination. Trent is young, and without this sounding llike a knock on him...very replaceable. So let trent rush 20 carries for 40 yards....when your up 31 -3 or whatever the score was Trich is your man!