Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Too Soon to Panic

AustexColt

Alot of us expected the 2-0 start, but the loss of Buckner for a minimum of 4 weeks. I like to remind myself that in Peyton's first season we went 3-13 and only the following season did we turn the corner to 13-3 and went to the playoff that season.  This season is heavy loaded upfront, so things may work out better for us since alot of our players are still learning the ropes. 

• Like 1

What exactly is the panic about?

I feel slightly crazy here with y'all lol. What are you panicking about? You have a rookie QB and after he missed almost all of his rookie year, this year was always going to be that rookie year. The fanbase thinks they were going to avoid rookie struggles?! Stop it.

Team record shouldn't be a consideration at all.

I wish I came bearing better news but instead all I have is a dose of reality. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

I feel slightly crazy here with y'all lol. What are you panicking about? You have a rookie QB and after he missed almost all of his rookie year, this year was always going to be that rookie year. The fanbase thinks they were going to avoid rookie struggles?! Stop it.

Again most people aren’t frustrated at AR or the young players struggling but many of the vets  that are more than capable of performing better. Zaire Franklin, EJ Speed, the DL, Pittman, Granson, Matt Gay, Mo etc. Many of them have been re-signed to perform better than what their showing out there.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Again most people aren’t frustrated at AR or the young players struggling but many of the vets  that are more than capable of performing better. Zaire Franklin, EJ Speed, the DL, Pittman, Granson, Matt Gay, Mo etc. Many of them have been re-signed to perform better than what their showing out there.

I hear you and I'm telling you Zaire, EJ, etc don't matter. This is all about AR's growth. Those other guys are part of the package that helps you win at a greater level once you're a steady playoff contender but the QB is the central figure for becoming a steady playoff contender. The QB is all that matters.

Once we know what this QB is for sure then we can start fretting about the LB, TE and kicker. Until then, I just can't be bothered with them. It's like worrying about the pots and pans when the whole kitchen is engulfed in flames. Worrying about the wrong things.

Again, I understadn that I'm reacting in a way that's not typical for most fans.

I understand what you all are saying, but it’s hard for me to wrap my mind around, throwing away the season in Lou of letting our project quarterback try to learn how to be a complete quarterback. I mean, we have a team that almost made the playoffs last year so expectations shouldn’t be so low for this year. I mean, knowing that we’re probably gonna lose almost every game this year makes me not want to even watch. Anyway, I hope Richardson becomes what most of you seem to think he can.

Here we go again , lowering the standard because the team stinks again even though Ballard himself claimed this team should be  competing for the division and playoffs with that young QB. So you guys listen to Ballard when he tells you that players are great but dont listen to him when he tells you we have a team that should compete for the playoffs and division? ..................Unreal.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

I understand what you all are saying, but it’s hard for me to wrap my mind around, throwing away the season in Lou of letting our project quarterback try to learn how to be a complete quarterback. I mean, we have a team that almost made the playoffs last year so expectations shouldn’t be so low for this year. I mean, knowing that we’re probably gonna lose almost every game this year makes me not want to even watch. Anyway, I hope Richardson becomes what most of you seem to think he can.

this team is what i have come to expect during the ballard tenure , an average or below average finish. no panic here, this is what i expected.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DavePSL said:

Here we go again , lowering the standard because the team stinks again even though Ballard himself claimed this team should be  competing for the division and playoffs with that young QB. So you guys listen to Ballard when he tells you that players are great but dont listen to him when he tells you we have a team that should compete for the playoffs and division? ..................Unreal.

What exactly pray tell are the fans supposed to do?

Two losses to start the season are unacceptable. Sure. They really are.

That’s a fan’s opinion. It’s my opinion. But what does it really do? 

I don’t understand how a fan lowering their expectations for this season directly impacts the team…

You think the staff and players are talking to each other reading our posts?

”Oh hey guys! The fans on the forum say the expectations have been lowered so we don’t have to try! Hooray!”

Keep calling Ballard out. Keep shouting for him to get fired. I’m telling you it really doesn’t matter if the owner isn’t listening. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AustexColt said:

Alot of us expected the 2-0 start, but the loss of Buckner for a minimum of 4 weeks. I like to remind myself that in Peyton's first season we went 3-13 and only the following season did we turn the corner to 13-3 and went to the playoff that season.  This season is heavy loaded upfront, so things may work out better for us since alot of our players are still learning the ropes. 

A lot of folks are panicking because they want instant gratification. Most people fail to realize that this is essentially Richardsons rookie year. He’s going to have ALOT of bumps in the road. TBH I never expected this current team to win more than 6 games this season. 

I think we sweep the Titans 

beat the Giants 

split with the Texans

beat the broncos

and split with the Jags 

I don’t know if folks looked at our schedule when it was released but we have a pretty rough schedule this year. 

8 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

Plenty of people never wanted Richardson to succeed so they manufactured the panic. That's all. They're annoying AF.

For my part, I'm not panicking. More about being angry. Not because of AR(who's basically a rookie), or AD or any young player...more about vets that don't live up to their expectations for the money they make.

The coaching and play calling.

And since several years: Our defensive scheme and DC. 

The Oline for how much money they get and how they play to not justify that.

Edit: and of course Ballard not bringing in veteran help in the secondary.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RollerColt said:

What exactly pray tell are the fans supposed to do?

Two losses to start the season are unacceptable. Sure. They really are.

That’s a fan’s opinion. It’s my opinion. But what does it really do? 

I don’t understand how a fan lowering their expectations for this season directly impacts the team…

You think the staff and players are talking to each other reading our posts?

”Oh hey guys! The fans on the forum say the expectations have been lowered so we don’t have to try! Hooray!”

Keep calling Ballard out. Keep shouting for him to get fired. I’m telling you it really doesn’t matter if the owner isn’t listening. 

With all the social media outlets today, fans have plenty of avenues to voice their displeasure and it will get through to the owner and team. remember how Ballard says he sees what's being said and likes to take his shots to * people off? It's like anything in life, when you want change , you stand up and demand it. The last thing you do is just say , there's nothing I can do about it. Now , I'm not suggesting you do that or even want to do that. I'm just pointing out there are ways to get your voice out there for fans.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

A lot of folks are panicking because they want instant gratification. Most people fail to realize that this is essentially Richardsons rookie year. He’s going to have ALOT of bumps in the road. TBH I never expected this current team to win more than 6 games this season. 

I think we sweep the Titans 

beat the Giants 

split with the Texans

beat the broncos

and split with the Jags 

I don’t know if folks looked at our schedule when it was released but we have a pretty rough schedule this year. 

Our GM came out and said that he was sick of missing the playoffs. Last year we were 1 play away from making them. Your expectations for the team and Ballard’s are different.

Also the instant gratification angle has been said since 2019 season. Regardless of if you think the timeline should start from Ballard’s first year, or the first season after the Luck retirement, there has been enough time that has passed that makes it viable for fans to want better results than starting 0-2, giving up 500 rushing yards in 2 games, and losing to a 3rd round  back up QB who had only been in the offense for 3 weeks.

• Like 1

I'm not too worried about our offense; I'm just worried about our defense. Coming in, we all knew our secondary was bottom of the barrel. Now, we are seeing our run D become bottom of the barrel, too. Our whole defense is trash. Buck is out now, and I can't imagine our D getting any better while he is out. We will have to win games by shootouts, and AR isn't that accurate for shootouts yet.

PS Please let Pittman pick his game up. I need him for my fantasy teams.

I'm not panicked.  I'm resigned.  We expected AR to go through some growing pains.  We expected our DB's to be allowing anyone's grandmother to complete 70% of their passes.  But we didn't expect the strength of the team to be an historical weakness.  I do expect us to be under .500.  And I expect Ballard to say "That's on me" after the season.  The question is, will Irsay finally agree with him?

• Like 4

14 hours ago, AustexColt said:

The reality of the situation is, we most likely would have been 0-2 if we are honest with ourselves. Colts are not better than Texans and packers tbh. The problem Alot of us are having is the other issues with team. The defense should not like this bad with all starters returning etc…kicking shouldn’t still be issue. I am fine with Richardson because I knew this was likely gonna be a 3 year thing when we start seeing it all put together. My issue is more with the team…. We all knew Richardson need time to develop but I thought we would lean heavy on run with Taylor and he would have some vets he could rely on to catch the thought passes. That has not been the case , we dropping passes left and right and no effort from wrs, i constantly see them jogging and giving up on routes , falling down then surprised when the pass is thrown to them. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

I’m not panicking. I’m just tired of seeing the same thing every year. Where are the veterans of this team? What happened to Nelson pancaking defenders? This team has regressed. And a lot of these guys are on their second contracts. 

Players playing on second and third contracts are certainly part of it.  But most teams have those issues.  Having a legitimate quarterback that could get you to the playoffs and maybe a Super Bowl is what matters.  Right now the Colts don’t have that quarterback.  Just the hope that we do.

• Thanks 1

I am one of the oldest Colts fans on the board and love my Colts win or lose.

My expectation for this year is low, though I hope we can break the trend and sneak in the playoffs

We have a QB that I believe MIGHT (I hope) follow the trend of Josh Allen

AR started only one year in College, Josh Allen had 2 years and he had double the attempts.

Both are athletic and strong 

Both are mobile and have amazing arm strength

Both seem to be humble guys that want to get better 

Until we have a consistent QB, we arent winning anything

My gut says we will be so so this year

Hopefully our defense will have some changes, starting at DC

2 hours ago, ColtsGermany said:

For my part, I'm not panicking. More about being angry. Not because of AR(who's basically a rookie), or AD or any young player...more about vets that don't live up to their expectations for the money they make.

The coaching and play calling.

And since several years: Our defensive scheme and DC. 

The Oline for how much money they get and how they play to not justify that.

Edit: and of course Ballard not bringing in veteran help in the secondary.

The coaching and play calling? Last year Steichen was in the running for COY right? Did he suddenly lose his coaching and planning abilities? Or again, are we really angry that we had sky high expectations and instead we're left with this....0-2.

The defense? For decades, fans have complained about the defense. From way before CB. Most years when 18 was striding around town, the defense was a sore point. None of this is new. Heck, I'd argue that Chuck Pagano got his job because the Colts wanted to replicate Baltimore's defense and break cleanly from that bend but don't break defense 'everyone' hated. 

The defense doesn't matter until we have a QB, that's how I look at the game. Sure, defense wins championships but you need a good QB to even start the championship conversation and where we are now is: we're in the process of figuring out just how good this CUBE can be.  

**By most metrics, the O-line isn't a problem.

On another note, I still think the Jaguars have it way worse than us. 

Imagine all the work, all the effort, the years of developing that team... Getting Trevor Lawrence, the most highly touted and hyped QB since Andrew Luck. He was supposed to be pro ready day 1. They went 3-13 in 2021, and then 9-8 for 2022 and 23, including an epic collapse from last year. 

And now they just they lost to Deshaun Freaking Watson to go 0-2. 

He does have a playoff win, but let's face it. It was against Brandon Staley, perhaps one of the worst head coaches in Charger history. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Imagine all the work, all the effort, the years of developing that team... Getting Trevor Lawrence, the most highly touted and hyped QB since Andrew Luck. He was supposed to be pro ready day 1. They went 3-13 in 2021, and then 9-8 for 2022 and 23, including an epic collapse from last year. 

And now they just they lost to Deshaun Freaking Watson to go 0-2. 

He does have a playoff win, but let's face it. It was against Brandon Staley, perhaps one of the worst head coaches in Charger history. 

Right. Law was supposed to be the next Luck. The type of QB who could lift ANY coach or franchise.

More proof. This league is HARD.

8 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Right. Law was supposed to be the next Luck. The type of QB who could lift ANY coach or franchise.

More proof. This league is HARD.

...and the Seahawks are 2-0 with a low ceiling QB like Geno Smith. Different ways to build a team. Along the same lines, I expect the Raiders to be competitive too with Minshew when the year is done. Might not win the division often and never a SB, but will be competitive enough to win games. But you got to stack wins before you can have a shot at the division and playoffs, and then the SB. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

Most of us aren't concerned about AR. 

We have concerns with our veteran WRs, TEs, LBs, DBs, DEs, DTs, the play calling, and baffling personnel decisions.

• Like 1

Just now, DattMavis said:

We have concerns with our veteran WRs, TEs, LBs, DBs, DEs, DTs, the play calling, and baffling personnel decisions.

That makes most of us. 

All valid concerns. 

And ironically it's similar to what happened with Reich. Bad play calling happens when you don't have decent enough personnel. Right now they ain't doing much to help out Richardson. Dropped passes, falling over, running the wrong routes... RBs missing blocking assignments... 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

All Out Wwe GIF by Extreme Improv

As long as they leave this weeb * in charge they’re always going to have it bad. If you think the football team is bad you should see his television show. 🤮

16 hours ago, JediXMan said:

Hate to say this, but……. Most of those got Big Contracts, and now aren’t performing like last year in ‘Contract Years’….

• Like 2

Just now, DattMavis said:

I know what you mean. To me the QB's development is what matters. Everything else is heavily secondary and really most of this was predictable. The specifics of the struggles don't really matter that much when you peep it. This defense was never going to be the unit to carry the team to the playoffs. It was always going to be Anthony or bust.

Maybe the panic is really about the GM? 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Hammer said:

I'm more than a little edgy regarding Richardson's inaccuracy. It seems to be just like college. Great on the bombs, wildly inaccurate on the short to mid-range throws.

His mechanics, and specifically his footwork, need refining. Thats never not been the case. Even on the beautiful bomb to Pierce against the Texans, that throw should have been way worse than it ended up being. His hips and feet were more square with the end zone than they were the sidelines like they normally should be. Part of the reason that throw went the way it did in spite of that is his arm is a certified nuclear missile launcher. Which is why he also struggles with accuracy, specifically overthrows. He’s gotta learn to use a little more touch and less mustard.

That stuff only comes with time. And even if he’s doing it in practice during the week, when he’s in a game on Sunday and doesn’t have the time to think about the mechanics as he’s throwing against real guys coming after him he’s going to revert back to those things. It’s just going to take time and getting him comfortable to bring those things into focus for him on an actual game day. 

The problem now is while he’s trying to figure all of that out on the fly, everything else around him on this team seems to be falling apart. 

• Like 5