Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dwight Freeney going to Canton

CR91

Dwight this year, Reggie next year. Congrats to the guy I called the Closer back in the day (Dwight Freeney). I gave him that nick name back in 2005 and my friends got a kick out of it. Peyton would get us a lead and Dwight would close by sacking the QB or forcing a bad pass to end the game.

4 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

One half of the sack duo is there.  Gotta get Mathis and Reggie there along with Adam when he comes up.

There is no way on god's green earth that mathis doesnt make the HoF. He was very arguably better than Freeney. The stats certainly say so, Freeney was just the first round pick, so always had the spotlight on him, Mathis had to earn his spotlight, which boy did he...

Both we awesome, im not dumping on Freeney at all, more just shining a light on Mathis here:

Per 16 games averages over their careers:

Freeney:
Tackles: 21 
Sacks: 9.4
FF: 3.6
(takeaways): 0.3

Mathis
Tackles: 33
Sacks: 10.3
FF: 4.3
(takeaways): 1.5

If Mathis isnt in next year, we should all start a riot.

• Like 1

Congrats to Dwight,

Well deserved. Opposing teams always had to game plan for him. I remember refs ignoring a lot of hands to the face blocking technique used on him several times.

• Like 1

Congrats Mr. Freeney!!! Your spin move and brute force at times with which OL were on their backs, QBs were spinning, and QBs were coughing up the ball brings fond memories to every Colts fan!!!

Well deserved!!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

Very happy for Freeney to make the HOF! Lot of fun to watch him as a kid. Him and Mathis were absolutely dominant in the Manning days. Never knew it'd be so hard to replace them.

Look at the players we had on our 2006 SB Championship team:

Offense

Peyton Manning

Marvin Harrison - still good and dangerous

Reggie Wayne - in his prime

Dallas Clark - in his prime

Joe Addai - great strong rookie runner

Jeff Saturday

Tarik Glenn

Defense

Dwight Freeney

Robert Mathis

Bob Sanders

Booger McFarland

Kelvin Hayden

SP Teams

Adam Vinatieri

• Like 4

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Look at the players we had on our 2006 SB Championship team:

Offense

Peyton Manning

Marvin Harrison - still good and dangerous

Reggie Wayne - in his prime

Dallas Clark - in his prime

Joe Addai - great strong rookie runner

Jeff Saturday

Tarik Glenn

Defense

Dwight Freeney

Robert Mathis

Bob Sanders

Booger McFarland

Kelvin Hayden

SP Teams

Adam Vinatieri

Great team there. Those were the days where the Colts were the best team in the NFL. Finally got over the hump to beat the Pats to get to the SB. Thank God we took advantage of it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

Great team there. Those were the days where the Colts were the best team in the NFL. Finally got over the hump to beat the Pats to get to the SB. Thank God we took advantage of it.

The AFC was so strong that season, that the Bears were almost a sure win. Ravens, Chargers, and Pats were all loaded in 2006.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The AFC was so strong that season, that the Bears were almost a sure win. Ravens, Chargers, and Pats were all loaded in 2006.

Yeah, I watched at a party with some friends at the time. We had a lot of fun watching that game.

• Like 1

To bad we couldn't have had Buckner back then. Had guys like Tripplett and Reagor on the inside. 

Dwight would've averaged 25 sacks a year with Defo next to him... 😂

• Like 1

On 2/8/2024 at 9:15 PM, CR91 said:

Reggie got snubbed again though. I don't understand how Andre Johnson gets in before Reggie 

Johnson was a specimen like Julio Jones. If you looked back when he played, he was a force with a much lesser qb and talent around him. H  I dont think Wayne gets in because he was always the number 2 to a great Harrison. The age old argument is always would Wayne have been a dynamic one. He put up some good stats with Luck, I just  dont think of him up there with the true greats. I have always thought he is a very good receiver, but Harrison is the standard if you going to compare them to each other.  

3 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Johnson was a specimen like Julio Jones. If you looked back when he played, he was a force with a much lesser qb and talent around him. H  I dont think Wayne gets in because he was always the number 2 to a great Harrison. The age old argument is always would Wayne have been a dynamic one. He put up some good stats with Luck, I just  dont think of him up there with the true greats. I have always thought he is a very good receiver, but Harrison is the standard if you going to compare them to each other.  

Another of your bad takes.   Reggie is top 10 in receptions and yards.   Good lord.  Are you sure you're a Colts fan?

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Last I looked John Stallworth and Lynn Swann both made the Hall of Fame and they played on the same team for years winning SBs. Just because Marvin was better, doesn't mean Reggie doesn't deserve to get in.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2024 at 7:15 PM, CR91 said:

Reggie got snubbed again though. I don't understand how Andre Johnson gets in before Reggie 

The Colts weren’t going to get TWO players out of five in this class.   Let’s enjoy that Dwight got in and not wonder why Reggie didn’t. 

• Like 1

It seems the knock Reggie nationally is he played on offense with Marvin Harrison and Peyton Manning.  That’s a shame because it ignores that Reggie had a whole back half of his career without Marvin and a few years without Peyton where he was still great.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It seems the knock Reggie nationally is he played on offense with Marvin Harrison and Peyton Manning.  That’s a shame because it ignores that Reggie had a whole back half of his career without Marvin and a few years without Peyton where he was still great.

WRs are always scrutinized more w.r.t the HOF, I feel. Andre Reed, the famous Bills WR, took several tries. Our great Marvin Harrison, you and I would think he is a first ballot HOF. It took his 3rd year of eligibility to get in.

Reggie probably might take 4 or 5 times.

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

WRs are always scrutinized more w.r.t the HOF, I feel. Andre Reed, the famous Bills WR, took several tries. Our great Marvin Harrison, you and I would think he is a first ballot HOF. It took his 3rd year of eligibility to get in.

Reggie probably might take 4 or 5 times.

Explain how Andre Johnson got in before Reggie?

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

National narrative which isn’t popular with Colts fans or most probably won’t agree with.  I heard it said more than once in national media in the run up to the Hall of Fame this year that Reggie and Tory Holt had the same problem.  They were viewed as playing in offense with a great QB and another Hall of Fame WR.  I explained earlier why I think that’s unfair to Reggie at least but that seems to be the national narrative.  The narrative with Johnson is he was a great player by himself which is why people seemed to feel he belonged in before Reggie or Holt.

Again, that’s not my view and I am sure several Colts fans will feel that’s crap but it doesn’t change that was the national narrative correct or not.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I have no explanation for that, I don't. It is just not consistent with past history at all. It is like someone decided to play favorites. The stats don't favor Andre Johnson that heavily at all.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

To me the Hall of Fame is of the elite players and not the very good. I look at it this way.  To get in the hall of fame, you should be comparable to your fellow entries. For example, if you gave me  Marion, Elway, Montana, Brady, and so on to start a franchise, I would be good with that and I think they are all in the elite stratosphere level. I am not into the whole GOAT thing as I think it is ridiculous. Now if you said to me your 1st receiver you have to take is Wayne to start a franchise, I am like no way. That's how I look at it.  There are numerous Wr's I would take  before Wayne to start a franchise. It is not I am against Wayne, as there are other players who probably dont belong in the hall. I value Moss, Rice, Johnson, Harrison as the elite of the elite. Even though Wayne was very good, I really never looked at him as being in the elite while he played.

On 2/14/2024 at 2:58 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

To me the Hall of Fame is of the elite players and not the very good. I look at it this way.  To get in the hall of fame, you should be comparable to your fellow entries. For example, if you gave me  Marion, Elway, Montana, Brady, and so on to start a franchise, I would be good with that and I think they are all in the elite stratosphere level. I am not into the whole GOAT thing as I think it is ridiculous. Now if you said to me your 1st receiver you have to take is Wayne to start a franchise, I am like no way. That's how I look at it.  There are numerous Wr's I would take  before Wayne to start a franchise. It is not I am against Wayne, as there are other players who probably dont belong in the hall. I value Moss, Rice, Johnson, Harrison as the elite of the elite. Even though Wayne was very good, I really never looked at him as being in the elite while he played.

In what way was AJ more elite than Reggie?  AJ had more targets, less receptions,  less yards less tds and reggie had to compete with other greats to get touches.  So in what way was AJ superior?

14 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

In what way was AJ more elite than Reggie?  AJ had more targets, less receptions,  less yards less tds and reggie had to compete with other greats to get touches.  So in what way was AJ superior?

If you look at the Pro Football Reference "all-time approximate value" page, Andre Johnson is waaaaaaaaay down the list, tied at #222 among the 1970's and 1980's players with a wAV score of 94.  Reggie is further up the list, tied at #53 with a wAV score of 116, surrounded by modern players who are all HOF'ers.  WTH?  How can Johnson be voted to the HOF ahead of Reggie?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/career_av_career.htm

• Like 1