Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Proposed trade for Stefon Diggs to Colts

Always a fan of weapons for a young QB but don’t think Diggs is the player. I would trade a first for a bonafide #1 for the next 5 years but he has maybe 1-3yrs of elite potential at best. Diggs to the Ravens, Packers, 49ers, Chiefs or Chargers makes more sense for both sides. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Always a fan of weapons for a young QB but don’t think Diggs is the player. I would trade a first for a bonafide #1 for the next 5 years but he has maybe 1-3yrs of elite potential at best. Diggs to the Ravens, Packers, 49ers, Chiefs or Chargers makes more sense for both sides. 

Yeah, I think if we want a bonafide #1 WR this year, the best way to get him is by trading. But Diggs isn't the guy I'd want.

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Diggs wouldn’t be my first choice but trading our 1st pick for a bonafide number 1 makes a lot of sense this year.   A. J. Brown makes more sense for me since Steichen already knows him he’s 4 years younger and it appears he wants to leave the Eagles.    

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Diggs wouldn’t be my first choice but trading our 1st pick for a bonafide number 1 makes a lot of sense this year.   A. J. Brown makes more sense for me since Steichen already knows him he’s 4 years younger and it appears he wants to leave the Eagles.    

I don't think there's any substance to the rumor that AJ Brown wants to leave the Eagles. More importantly, his contract makes trading him extremely prohibitive. It's a $41m cap penalty in 2024 if they trade him before the draft. If they trade him after the draft, it's $10m in 2024, and $31m in 2025. 

I think they'd also want significantly more than one first round pick for him.

All of this combined, I doubt AJ Brown is getting traded.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

No thank you!  

Super, super talented, but a HUGE drama queen.  He’s the receiver who when the team WINS the big game, he will still complain he didn’t get enough targets and catches.   Everything is all about him for Stephan Diggs.  When NFL Execs say the WR position is DIVA  position, Diggs is an obvious example. 

If Buffalo is looking to trade him, there’s good reason for that.   No!  Thank!  YOU!!

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No thank you!  

Super, super talented, but a HUGE drama queen.  He’s the receiver who when the team WINS the big game, he will still complain he didn’t get enough targets and catches.   Everything is all about him for Stephan Diggs. 

If Buffalo is looking to trade him, there’s good reason for that.   No!  Thank!  YOU!!

I don’t want him, but not necessarily because of these reasons (although not to be dismissed). I just don’t see him as a longterm solution, so I don’t see a point. I’d rather have Pittman, quite frankly. 

but- I do agree with Superman on this…

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Yeah, I think if we want a bonafide #1 WR this year, the best way to get him is by trading.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

I’d rather trade our pick and more to move up for MHJ (ha not happening) or to get Nabers. 

I would agree. I would rather trade whatever it takes to get Justin Jefferson and make it work with AR’s rookie deal than a 30 year old Diggs. 

that seems to have been the theme with rookie qbs. Trade for a young top receiver and roll during the rookie qb contract. Diggs to the bills with Allen. Tyreek to the Dolphins with Tua. Jefferson to the patriots was proposed by Corwerd this week. There’s a lot of talk about the Vikings moving him instead of paying him. 

I don’t see any of it happening. It’s more likely we find a receiver in the draft (whether 15 or later) and pair him with Pitt. Spend the money in other spaces. But I, like @Superman, see Ballard being more aggressive than we’ve seen. He’s set the stage for that and it may be necessary for his future as a General Manager- here or elsewhere. Will anyone be sad if a big move is made? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I would agree. I would rather trade whatever it takes to get Justin Jefferson and make it work with AR’s rookie deal than a 30 year old Diggs. 

that seems to have been the theme with rookie qbs. Trade for a young top receiver and roll during the rookie qb contract. Diggs to the bills with Allen. Tyreek to the Dolphins with Tua. Jefferson to the patriots was proposed by Corwerd this week. There’s a lot of talk about the Vikings moving him instead of paying him. 

I don’t see any of it happening. It’s more likely we find a receiver in the draft (whether 15 or later) and pair him with Pitt. Spend the money in other spaces. But I, like @Superman, see Ballard being more aggressive than we’ve seen. He’s set the stage for that and it may be necessary for his future as a General Manager- here or elsewhere. Will anyone be sad if a big move is made? 

If anyone is sad about a big move being made is literally complaining and crying for the sake of complaining and crying. Making a big move, rather it be through the draft, or bringing in Jefferson shouldn’t upset anyone. This fan base complains how we’ve done NOTHING since Ballard arrived, yet they don’t want to make trades or sign complete difference makers or immediate impact players/upgrades, and the reasoning is always meaningless. 

Complain Ballard does nothing. Complain when Ballard does something. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

No thank you!  

Super, super talented, but a HUGE drama queen.  He’s the receiver who when the team WINS the big game, he will still complain he didn’t get enough targets and catches.   Everything is all about him for Stephan Diggs.  When NFL Execs say the WR position is DIVA  position, Diggs is an obvious example. 

Usually you jump on people when they spread rumors and false news, and I have to do that to you this time.

Diggs is the best teammate in a team you can find, and by that, I mean, he'll criticize when plays were not made by the QB but he'll get over it and come back next week to do the best. What brought him bad name was his criticism of Cousins or coaches (on the field straight to the face, not off the field), and how that gets twisted by fans as some kind of bad person and Diva. As Vikings fan, I saw it happen week after week, and the same fans now say Cousins leaves the plays on the field, which is true as well. And, Diggs would get heated on the field but there would be zero concrete example of him doing anything bad for the team. He just can't hide the emotions besides him wanting to win every game, and that's the kind of player your QB needs, if the QB can take criticism positively. And, Josh Allen understands Diggs very well, and has said the same to the press, but the media and social network continues to blame Diggs, which you're repeating here.

Anyway, complete absence of production in the second half of this past season from Diggs is a concern. He was playing through injury at some time, but he never got to produce in the later half of the year, and got shut down in few too many games. Diggs will need to produce multiple 100 yards games in other for a team to give up the amount of draft picks Bills would like to want in trade for Diggs.

So, this is not a good time to trade for Diggs, but your post has been horribly misconstrued. I don't think Buffalo is trying to trade Diggs and there's no evidence for that so far, and I'm not sure why you'd say that. Very uncharacteristic post from you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Usually you jump on people when they spread rumors and false news, and I have to do that to you this time.

Diggs is the best teammate in a team you can find, and by that, I mean, he'll criticize when plays were not made by the QB but he'll get over it and come back next week to do the best. What brought him bad name was his criticism of Cousins or coaches (on the field straight to the face, not off the field), and how that gets twisted by fans as some kind of bad person and Diva. As Vikings fan, I saw it happen week after week, and the same fans now say Cousins leaves the plays on the field, which is true as well. And, Diggs would get heated on the field but there would be zero concrete example of him doing anything bad for the team. He just can't hide the emotions besides him wanting to win every game, and that's the kind of player your QB needs, if the QB can take criticism positively. And, Josh Allen understands Diggs very well, and has said the same to the press, but the media and social network continues to blame Diggs, which you're repeating here.

Anyway, complete absence of production in the second half of this past season from Diggs is a concern. He was playing through injury at some time, but he never got to produce in the later half of the year, and got shut down in few too many games. Diggs will need to produce multiple 100 yards games in other for a team to give up the amount of draft picks Bills would like to want in trade for Diggs.

So, this is not a good time to trade for Diggs, but your post has been horribly misconstrued. I don't think Buffalo is trying to trade Diggs and there's no evidence for that so far, and I'm not sure why you'd say that. Very uncharacteristic post from you. 

I wholeheartedly agree with you. He is an emotional player that wants to win. He hates to lose. Fans seem to prefer players who are docile, quiet and don't show emotion.

As others have said, I too believe that the Colts should not trade for Diggs but not because of the "diva" reasons given. I always seem to agree with @stitches and I do once again. If the Colts are going to trade a #1 pick for a WR, it should be for a young WR like JJ, Waddle, Lamb and the like. What about a 2nd round pick for Garrett Wilson? I like Wilson a lot.

Diggs would work better on a more veteran team that is winning like the CChiefs

• Like 4

I would rather trade for DaVante Adams since our rookie QB should be an upgrade over what they have. Straight up, 3rd rounder if we take on the contract but if they pay half or a third of it, I would part with our 2nd and 4th/5th rounders for him.

Having said that, with Pittman to potentially sign for 4 years $90 mil., I don't see this as a move Ballard would make in a WR deep draft where the pass catchers can grow with the young QB. That is the kind of move you make if you need a player or two to get to the SB and have been a division winner lately. We have to first win the division and make some noise in the playoffs before we can plan such moves.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stitches said:

If Ballard wants to get a premier WR he needs to do what the Bills and Eagles did. Get a young one coming off his rookie deal. One that's just going into his prime so when you pay him the big money you know you are paying for his best years, rather than catching him on the downturn of his career. And Diggs fits that latter category - he's very likely going to be deteriorating over the next 4 years(already in his 30s and already some signs of decline).

So yeah... Target a great WR that a team is reluctant to pay past his rookie deal. I know there aren't many of those but that's why those GMs are being paid the big money. They need to feel the situation in other teams and strike when they get the chance.

Just some examples of players who soon will want big time extensions and it's unknown whether their team would be able/willing to pay them - Jaylen Waddle, entering 4th year of his rookie deal. Ceedee Lamb and Brandon Aiyuk from the class that are entering 5th year of their rookie deals... Are the Eagles going to be able to pay Devonta Smith? So on and so forth..

Yep. Aiyuk is exactly who you target for this kind of move. Deebo is still on the books for two more years. Kittle as well. CMC isn't going anywhere. 

Ballard dealt with Lynch before in the DeFo trade, so they have some rapport. Similar circumstances in a way. Close to the same pick as well (#13 vs. #15).

• Like 1

First of all I’d use proposed loosely here.  This isn’t an official offer or even a reported offer it’s someone spitballing ideas to make a story here.  To the OP credit he pretty much said that in his post buts let’s just remember what we are dealing with here.

As for this itself.  In this deal they are giving up two picks to pay an older WR and probably losing Pittman in free agency.  That doesn’t fix anything and now you have far less assists to fix things.  Even if Diggs comes in and recaptures the magic for a year or two you still don’t have a solid number two WR.  

That makes no sense to me when you could just use the same money you’d have to give Diggs to keep a younger Pittman for longer and not have to give up the draft picks.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I would rather trade for DaVante Adams since our rookie QB should be an upgrade over what they have. Straight up, 3rd rounder if we take on the contract but if they pay half or a third of it, I would part with our 2nd and 4th/5th rounders for him.

Having said that, with Pittman to potentially sign for 4 years $90 mil., I don't see this as a move Ballard would make in a WR deep draft where the pass catchers can grow with the young QB. That is the kind of move you make if you need a player or two to get to the SB and have been a division winner lately. We have to first win the division and make some noise in the playoffs before we can plan such moves.

Yep. Getting premium talent heading into their 2nd deals is one way you can flex your might with cap space. But getting aging premium talent on big contracts is another for cheap is another way. But that Adams contract is wild. I think the base salary jumps up to $35M in 2025 and 2026. Would have to restructure big-time.

1 minute ago, shasta519 said:

Yep. Getting premium talent heading into their 2nd deals is one way you can flex your might with cap space. But getting aging premium talent on big contracts is another for cheap is another way. But that Adams contract is wild. I think the base salary jumps up to $35M in 2025 and 2026. Would have to restructure big-time.

Yep, can't let the Raiders have the cake and eat it too if they are willing to trade him. Something will be done with his contract if a trade is attempted, though I feel I am speculating the unlikely. :) 

• Like 1

I would rather use the assets required to trade for Diggs to trade up for Nabers, Bowers, or MHJ (he'd required more than a first and fourth ofc) in the draft if we were going to give up picks at all for a receiving talent. A decent amount of blue chip receivers are available this year if Ballard thinks this is the year to finally make a move like that (he won't, which would hurt if those guys ball out in the league as they are expected to)

• Like 4

3 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Apparently you didn’t follow Diggs much in Buffalo.   If you had, you wouldn’t have written what you did.   

But thanks anyway. 

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

Yep. Aiyuk is exactly who you target for this kind of move. Deebo is still on the books for two more years. Kittle as well. CMC isn't going anywhere. 

I really like Aiyuk and have had my eye on him. I'm just not 100% sure he's a dynamic #1 WR. Really good production on a team with Deebo, CMC, Kittle... is he putting up 1,400 yards anywhere else though? He's not a burner, not super explosive as a player, really good route runner, great hands, tough, quick, but not a downfield guy. Again, I really like him, he'd easily be our best WR, a serious upgrade to our WR corps. I just wonder if we need a more dynamic player.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

he’s getting old.  Too expensive.  We can get a receiver in the draft with diggs potential and won’t have to pay him for 4 years.

Maybe if we a wide receiver away from being a championship contender then sure.  But right now, nope.

3 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

This stuff about Diggs isn't made up, it's not rumors and false news. Maybe it's been overblown, maybe blame is being misplaced, I don't know. But it's not just a figment of anyone's imagination.

Diggs has displayed some diva-like behavior. He was conspicuously absent from the Bills offseason program, and it wasn't contract related. Josh Allen and Sean McDermott both acknowledged that there was some kind of problem between Diggs and Allen, they were concerned about it, and it got squashed at some point before the 2023 season started. But then he started showing signs of being upset again.

And to NCF's point about him being more concerned with his own production than the team's results, Diggs was more productive in the first half of the 2023 season, even though the Bills were losing games. Then they made some coaching changes on the offensive side, Diggs production went down, but they started winning more games and made the playoffs. 

This is what Diggs said last week:

Just this season in its total, rolling with the punches, first eight games and the last eight games, or nine games, or 10 games, however you dice it, it just was a different picture. And it’s something I had to get adjusted to as a teammate, just rolling with the punches, being the best teammate you can be, best player you can be, and keep growing from it.

“I feel like I take it day by day. Obviously, there’s a lot of changes going on, a lot of things going on. I can’t really put the carriage before the horse, you know what I’m saying? But I got a great offseason in front of me to put a lot of work in and kind of build around what we got and what we’re doing. I can’t tell you what the future holds, but I’m still being me.

My read on that is 'I had to get used to not getting the ball as much.' Which is an interesting thing to say when the team was winning in the second half of the season. And then he buttons it up by casting doubt on either the team's future, or his future with the team, not sure. 

So if someone says Diggs has some diva to him, it's not made up. And if you want to take a 30 year old WR whose role is being adjusted on his team and will probably continue to diminish, and put him with a young QB who has a long way to go in the NFL, I think you should expect some discontent from him.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/stefon-diggs-josh-allen-drama-buffalo-bills-minicamp/fd73bae3bf5c026ade699f31

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I wholeheartedly agree with you. He is an emotional player that wants to win. He hates to lose. Fans seem to prefer players who are docile, quiet and don't show emotion.

As others have said, I too believe that the Colts should not trade for Diggs but not because of the "diva" reasons given. I always seem to agree with @stitches and I do once again. If the Colts are going to trade a #1 pick for a WR, it should be for a young WR like JJ, Waddle, Lamb and the like. What about a 2nd round pick for Garrett Wilson? I like Wilson a lot.

Diggs would work better on a more veteran team that is winning like the CChiefs

Yes, Wilson is another one. I doubt he will be available for a second though... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I’ll give a shout-out to @Superman for posting such a detailed response to your post.  And I’ll apologize for being unable to post links, Superman did the heavy lifting, not at my request I might add, entirely on his own. 

But I’d like to follow up my own post, if I may.   You noted Josh Allen publicly supporting his WR1.   I’m not the least bit surprised.  What was going on?   Buffalo media was asking Allen during the season about Diggs,  and Allen responded he had his back.  I’d expect nothing less.  Can you imagine what would have happened had Allen NOT supported Diggs?   The Bills’ season would have blown up — imploded.   Allen was keeping those issues behind closed doors where they belong.  Props to him for not letting things get out of hand. 

And I love Allen for that reason and many more.   It’s heart breaking the way things with Luck unfolded and the Colts did not draft Allen.   I think Allen is Luck 2.0 and in some ways, perhaps even better.  Win or lose, Allen leaves it all on the field every game.   Can’t ask for more. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’ll give a shout-out to @Superman for posting such a detailed response to your post.  And I’ll apologize for being unable to post links, Superman did the heavy lifting, not at my request I might add, entirely on his own. 

But I’d like to follow up my own post, if I may.   You noted Josh Allen publicly supporting his WR1.   I’m not the least bit surprised.  What was going on?   Buffalo media was asking Allen during the season about Diggs,  and Allen responded he had his back.  I’d expect nothing less.  Can you imagine what would have happened had Allen NOT supported Diggs?   The Bills’ season would have blown up — imploded.   Allen was keeping those issues behind closed doors where they belong.  Props to him for not letting things get out of hand. 

And I love Allen for that reason and many more.   It’s heart breaking the way things with Luck unfolded and the Colts did not draft Allen.   I think Allen is Luck 2.0 and in some ways, perhaps even better.  Win or lose, Allen leaves it all on the field every game.   Can’t ask for more. 

Off topic a little but I love the comparison of Allen and Luck. I love ranking all-time QBs. They are almost identical in their playing style and being very good QBs/sometimes great. Luck was a little more clutch but other than that Allen is his twin.

• Thanks 1