Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Proposed trade for Stefon Diggs to Colts

6 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

This is a terrific draft for WRs. No thanks. Let’s keep our draft picks and keep building up this young team. 

If I’m not mistaken we are already the youngest team in the league or very close.  This team could use some veteran leadership and experience to help the young players already on the team.  Adding those kind of players will help the team more than continually throwing players learning on the fly out there.  The window just opened in 2024.  It won’t be open long.  I think we need to add some experience and leadership to take the next step.  If that means trading a pick for a player then that’s what we need to do.

3 hours ago, Superman said:

I really like Aiyuk and have had my eye on him. I'm just not 100% sure he's a dynamic #1 WR. Really good production on a team with Deebo, CMC, Kittle... is he putting up 1,400 yards anywhere else though? He's not a burner, not super explosive as a player, really good route runner, great hands, tough, quick, but not a downfield guy. Again, I really like him, he'd easily be our best WR, a serious upgrade to our WR corps. I just wonder if we need a more dynamic player.

It's interesting. One could argue that being surrounded by premium weapons has allowed him to thrive. But one might also argue that the weapons around him has limited his opportunity to show that he is an alpha WR1.

But he doesn't elite speed. I think he's been pretty dynamic with the ball, but everybody in SF seems to be able to do that. His 17.9 ypc, might be an outlier, but if he settles somewhere in-between that and the previous two seasons, I think he could be a guy that puts up 1,400 yds with more target volume.

And what he does do is run great routes and catch the ball. Plus, he's got those long arms that make him more like a 6'2'' or 6'3'' WR than a 6'0'' guy.

But am biased cause I have wanted him since he was at ASU. Was hoping he would be there when the Colts picked MPJ. So pairing them up, while costly, would be fun.

54 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

It's interesting. One could argue that being surrounded by premium weapons has allowed him to thrive. But one might also argue that the weapons around him has limited his opportunity to show that he is an alpha WR1.

But he doesn't elite speed. I think he's been pretty dynamic with the ball, but everybody in SF seems to be able to do that. His 17.9 ypc, might be an outlier, but if he settles somewhere in-between that and the previous two seasons, I think he could be a guy that puts up 1,400 yds with more target volume.

And what he does do is run great routes and catch the ball. Plus, he's got those long arms that make him more like a 6'2'' or 6'3'' WR than a 6'0'' guy.

But am biased cause I have wanted him since he was at ASU. Was hoping he would be there when the Colts picked MPJ. So pairing them up, while costly, would be fun.

The Niners seem to get their ball carriers open with space to run better than every other team. And I think his increased production this year is partly due to having a QB who's locked in. It's totally out of nowhere, but Brock Purdy is the best QB to run Shanahan's offense since MVP Matt Ryan. 

So between Shanahan's system and Purdy's efficiency, I think it's unlikely that there's really anything holding back Aiyuk's production. He's probably in the best situation he'll ever be in.

I didn't realize he had outlier arm length, but that makes sense. He seems bigger than 6'0", IMO. 

Pairing him with MPJ would be interesting. But when I think about the ideal partner for MPJ, I think of a guy who can tilt the field with his speed. If all things were equal, I wouldn't mind swapping MPJ for Aiyuk, and reconfiguring the rest of the WR room around Aiyuk, but that seems unlikely for a lot of reasons.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

If I’m not mistaken we are already the youngest team in the league or very close.  This team could use some veteran leadership and experience to help the young players already on the team.  Adding those kind of players will help the team more than continually throwing players learning on the fly out there.  The window just opened in 2024.  It won’t be open long.  I think we need to add some experience and leadership to take the next step.  If that means trading a pick for a player then that’s what we need to do.

I tend to agree. I’m hopeful Downs continues to improve his game and strengthens the room. I’m not entirely out on Pierce yet. And I think we all know Pittman is good but has limitations and is questionable as our wr1. 

I would argue (on the same point as your post) that our two biggest needs are receiver and safety, and finding a veteran pro-bowl talent at both could take this team to the next level in itself. I’d be willing to run it back with AR under center and work to continue improving the current roster developmentally, while bringing some support via FA/draft, if those two pieces could be met early this offseason. To me, it might be the best route. Sign free agent safety, trade for a veteran receiver. Everything else falls in place. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I tend to agree. I’m hopeful Downs continues to improve his game and strengthens the room. I’m not entirely out on Pierce yet. And I think we all know Pittman is good but has limitations and is questionable as our wr1. 

I would argue (on the same point as your post) that our two biggest needs are receiver and safety, and finding a veteran pro-bowl talent at both could take this team to the next level in itself. I’d be willing to run it back with AR under center and work to continue improving the current roster developmentally, while bringing some support via FA/draft, if those two pieces could be met early this offseason. To me, it might be the best route. Sign free agent safety, trade for a veteran receiver. Everything else falls in place. 

Absolutely agree 100%.   WR and safety are our biggest needs.

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Perhaps but Diggs isn’t the same player he was and his salary doesn’t match up. Especially for a 1st. 

On 2/8/2024 at 8:10 AM, NFLfan said:

I wholeheartedly agree with you. He is an emotional player that wants to win. He hates to lose. Fans seem to prefer players who are docile, quiet and don't show emotion.

As others have said, I too believe that the Colts should not trade for Diggs but not because of the "diva" reasons given. I always seem to agree with @stitches and I do once again. If the Colts are going to trade a #1 pick for a WR, it should be for a young WR like JJ, Waddle, Lamb and the like. What about a 2nd round pick for Garrett Wilson? I like Wilson a lot.

Diggs would work better on a more veteran team that is winning like the CChiefs

I agree.  I like Diggs.  I dont think he's right for the Colts though.  He's getting a bit long in the tooth.

He wants to win badly and calls out the team mates for their lackadaisical effort.

The Bills loss to the Bengals last playoffs was a great example.  The bills didn't even show up for that game. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

I agree.  I like Diggs.  I dont think he's right for the Colts though.  He's getting a bit long in the tooth.

He wants to win badly and calls out the team mates for their lackadaisical effort.

The Bills loss to the Bengals last playoffs was a great example.  The bills didn't even show up for that game. 

I agree. The Colts need a young WR.

Ballard is too frugal. He is not giving up premium draft picks for a veteran WR. He can draft a very good WR in the first round this year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I agree. The Colts need a young WR.

Ballard is too frugal. He is not giving up premium draft picks for a veteran WR. He can draft a very good WR in the first round this year.

42 minutes ago, Bbswatching said:

Instead of going after Diggs or brown.  Just resign Pittman.  Less money.  And isn't a cancer to the locker room.  Also hes younger.  Draft another wr at 15.  And pair him with Pitt and Downs.  

This is assuming Ballard feels he can risk missing on another receiver. Pittman and Downs were good picks, but no one else has panned out. Does he feel he has the time/leash to miss or pick someone that takes time to develop into what they need? If not, then the idea of swinging big for a vet receiver (preferably a younger one than Diggs) isn’t such a wild concept. It’s not  unprecedented with qbs on rookie deals. 

11 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

This is assuming Ballard feels he can risk missing on another receiver. Pittman and Downs were good picks, but no one else has panned out. Does he feel he has the time/leash to miss or pick someone that takes time to develop into what they need? If not, then the idea of swinging big for a vet receiver (preferably a younger one than Diggs) isn’t such a wild concept. It’s not  unprecedented with qbs on rookie deals. 

Who would you like to trade for?

32 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Who would you like to trade for?

Jefferson. Whatever it takes, imo. Especially if I were Ballard. Break the stigma that is associated with you. Realize you have the rookie qb deal, and have been prudent. Highlight your strength in drafting, which is mid to late rounds by forgoing the picks at the top for a couple years, and go big. It would be signaling that they truly believe in Anthony Richardson and the makeup of the offense. They could have a dramatically altered roster by the time April even rolled around if he felt he had one shot at being aggressive. Of course Irsay would have to sign off, but I can’t imagine Ballard couldn’t pitch it. It’s just a matter of if he buys it, which is probably unlikely… But I wouldn’t take many chances of not taking some risk if I were him. 

AR, JT, JJ, Downs, Pierce- a strong o-line that took a big step forward 

it’s a better offense than we’ve had in a long time… I would hate to sit back and watch Houston continue being the aggressive ones.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Jefferson. Whatever it takes, imo. Especially if I were Ballard. Break the stigma that is associated with you. Realize you have the rookie qb deal, and have been prudent. Highlight your strength in drafting, which is mid to late rounds by forgoing the picks at the top for a couple years, and go big. It would be signaling that they truly believe in Anthony Richardson and the makeup of the offense. They could have a dramatically altered roster by the time April even rolled around if he felt he had one shot at being aggressive. Of course Irsay would have to sign off, but I can’t imagine Ballard couldn’t pitch it. It’s just a matter of if he buys it, which is probably unlikely… But I wouldn’t take many chances of not taking some risk if I were him. 

AR, JT, JJ, Downs, Pierce- a strong o-line that took a big step forward 

it’s a better offense than we’ve had in a long time… I would hate to sit back and watch Houston continue being the aggressive ones.

Houston was able to be aggressive because the browns made a terrible trade for watson

21 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Houston was able to be aggressive because the browns made a terrible trade for watson

Yeah, draft position matters when trading up. I would argue they were able to be aggressive because they got their qb as well. And now that they know what they have at qb, they will certainly be very aggressive. 

Which is my point. I’m not sure we can sit and watch the new division king be aggressive without looking to match that aggressiveness. It’s a window with a rookie contract. Ballard’s made that comment of the flexibility it gives for you to be more aggressive. So he’s set the stage. I’m a Ballard fan. But if he doesn’t follow through with that statement, and continues to stay the course, especially while Houston elevates, then I will quickly jump off board. I expect him to be aggressive this offseason. Likely not to the level of trading for Justin Jefferson. I can see resigning Pittman and drafting a receiver being the path, and wouldn’t necessarily be upset about it, so long as he was aggressive in other areas of the roster. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sb41champs said:

Chris Ballard is too smart to make that kind of move - both for the team roster - AND - for the salary cap!!

You think that an upgrade at wr1 for maybe $6-8 million more is a bad move for the roster and salary cap? If you are talking about Diggs- then it would be very doable, and possible even with signing Pittman. The Bills would be on the hook for $31 million of dead cap space. We wouldn’t necessarily be tied to Diggs except for year to year, but have his rights. 

The character is one thing- but I can’t imagine this locker room wouldn’t welcome a top receiver in the league to elevate the offense at a clear weak spot. 

If you are talking about Justin Jefferson, then it’s the same concept, except for more money, meaning pittman for sure walks. We would have arguably the best receiver in the league and locked down longterm at the age of 25 years old. I don’t know what some might think of that, but I wouldn’t care what we sent pick wise to have AR, JT, Jefferson and Downs on offense for the next 4-7 years or more. 

On 2/8/2024 at 9:58 PM, Superman said:

This stuff about Diggs isn't made up, it's not rumors and false news. Maybe it's been overblown, maybe blame is being misplaced, I don't know. But it's not just a figment of anyone's imagination.

Diggs has displayed some diva-like behavior. He was conspicuously absent from the Bills offseason program, and it wasn't contract related. Josh Allen and Sean McDermott both acknowledged that there was some kind of problem between Diggs and Allen, they were concerned about it, and it got squashed at some point before the 2023 season started. But then he started showing signs of being upset again.

And to NCF's point about him being more concerned with his own production than the team's results, Diggs was more productive in the first half of the 2023 season, even though the Bills were losing games. Then they made some coaching changes on the offensive side, Diggs production went down, but they started winning more games and made the playoffs. 

This is what Diggs said last week:

My read on that is 'I had to get used to not getting the ball as much.' Which is an interesting thing to say when the team was winning in the second half of the season. And then he buttons it up by casting doubt on either the team's future, or his future with the team, not sure. 

So if someone says Diggs has some diva to him, it's not made up. And if you want to take a 30 year old WR whose role is being adjusted on his team and will probably continue to diminish, and put him with a young QB who has a long way to go in the NFL, I think you should expect some discontent from him.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/stefon-diggs-josh-allen-drama-buffalo-bills-minicamp/fd73bae3bf5c026ade699f31

You can't read those quotes from Diggs and come out with conclusion that he displays Diva-like behavior.. seriously. 

he has given a very humble quote on how last season went on and how he's a great off-season ahead of him and how he's going to put in work to be great for the team.

What do you expect him to say that wouldn't be misconstrued as Diva-like behavior? 

As I said and as you said there were lot of rumors on Diggs having some problem with Allen, but there's ZERO concrete evidence for that. At the end of 2022 season, Allen described what was going on and it perfectly described how Diggs is emotional and how it can be assumed differently by others. GM Brandon Beane as well described the same at the end of 2022 season, which I described. If I find that article (which I've shared in this forum a year ago in similar discussion before), I'll share it again but I don't think I'll get time to do so now. 

So, for a casual observer from outside, Diggs would be viewed as Diva. But, for those who have followed him much of his career, I can perfectly see why someone else could be believed to think so, and how some of his actions can be hated and how Diggs won't be able to change how he's and how this debate will go on for all his career. 

On 2/8/2024 at 9:48 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Apparently you didn’t follow Diggs much in Buffalo.   If you had, you wouldn’t have written what you did.   

But thanks anyway. 

Give a concrete example of what happened and what he did in Buffalo.

He skipped some practice sessions during some weeks in 2022 season, and he was apparently not happy with the offense - which their head coach did half way into 2023 season and fired his OC.

You may call that action as Diva-like, but in the grand scheme of how well his career has gone in Buffalo since they traded for him until middle of 2023 season, and even with last 10 disappointing games, he's been a wonderful teammate and performer on the field for the Bills. 

But all you have is - he did that, nobody knows why he did something, but you'd like to call that as Diva.

I asked you for a concrete evidence, and you're saying I didn't follow him in Buffalo without even caring to provide any information?

Goes to show how positivity and correcting others' faults only applies to favorable situations. 

21 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Give a concrete example of what happened and what he did in Buffalo.

He skipped some practice sessions during some weeks in 2022 season, and he was apparently not happy with the offense - which their head coach did half way into 2023 season and fired his OC.

You may call that action as Diva-like, but in the grand scheme of how well his career has gone in Buffalo since they traded for him until middle of 2023 season, and even with last 10 disappointing games, he's been a wonderful teammate and performer on the field for the Bills. 

But all you have is - he did that, nobody knows why he did something, but you'd like to call that as Diva.

I asked you for a concrete evidence, and you're saying I didn't follow him in Buffalo without even caring to provide any information?

Goes to show how positivity and correcting others' faults only applies to favorable situations. 

Why are you even asking me this?   Have you not read the thread?   Have you not read Superman’s comment?   Have you not read my second response to your post?   I thought my first post to you was too short.  So I wrote you a second post which addressed all your issues.   

Read all that, and that should answer all your questions.    

You want to get a bonafide potential superstar WR for AR? Trade up to 3 and get Marv Jr. I know, it would be a ridiculous haul to give up, but we've seen teams make massive trades to get up in the draft to get their guy. Falcons for Julio. Chiefs for Mahomes. It's a pipe dream, but I rather go in that direction then give up the price the Bills would want for Diggs.

• Like 1

How about DK Metcalf? Of all the names listed, I’m not sure any of them could contribute at a high level longer than Metcalf. Metcalf has the body type and  physique to be a #1 WR unto his mid 30’s. I’m not sure if Seattle’s willing to part ways with him or what their plans are moving on from Pete Carrol’s retirement, but a franchise restructuring could be a real possibility and a fire sale could mean all players are available whether discounted or to the highest bidder. 

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 10:14 PM, VikingsFanInChennai said:

You can't read those quotes from Diggs and come out with conclusion that he displays Diva-like behavior.. seriously. 

he has given a very humble quote on how last season went on and how he's a great off-season ahead of him and how he's going to put in work to be great for the team.

What do you expect him to say that wouldn't be misconstrued as Diva-like behavior? 

As I said and as you said there were lot of rumors on Diggs having some problem with Allen, but there's ZERO concrete evidence for that. At the end of 2022 season, Allen described what was going on and it perfectly described how Diggs is emotional and how it can be assumed differently by others. GM Brandon Beane as well described the same at the end of 2022 season, which I described. If I find that article (which I've shared in this forum a year ago in similar discussion before), I'll share it again but I don't think I'll get time to do so now. 

So, for a casual observer from outside, Diggs would be viewed as Diva. But, for those who have followed him much of his career, I can perfectly see why someone else could be believed to think so, and how some of his actions can be hated and how Diggs won't be able to change how he's and how this debate will go on for all his career. 

Allen and McDermott acknowledged there was a problem. McDermott said he was very concerned about it.

It's okay if different people view this differently. It can be up for interpretation, and what one person sees as diva-like, another person might find defensible. I'm just saying it's not all made up nonsense. There's something there, and Diggs is at least partly responsible for it.

• Thanks 1

On 2/10/2024 at 9:10 PM, ColtStrong2013 said:

You think that an upgrade at wr1 for maybe $6-8 million more is a bad move for the roster and salary cap? If you are talking about Diggs- then it would be very doable, and possible even with signing Pittman. The Bills would be on the hook for $31 million of dead cap space. We wouldn’t necessarily be tied to Diggs except for year to year, but have his rights. 

The character is one thing- but I can’t imagine this locker room wouldn’t welcome a top receiver in the league to elevate the offense at a clear weak spot. 

If you are talking about Justin Jefferson, then it’s the same concept, except for more money, meaning pittman for sure walks. We would have arguably the best receiver in the league and locked down longterm at the age of 25 years old. I don’t know what some might think of that, but I wouldn’t care what we sent pick wise to have AR, JT, Jefferson and Downs on offense for the next 4-7 years or more. 

We all have our individual opinions - and - we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

On 2/9/2024 at 9:33 PM, ColtStrong2013 said:

Jefferson. Whatever it takes, imo. Especially if I were Ballard

What do you think of this? Someone proposed it on the Vikings site that I follow:

Trade Partner: Colts

Sent: Justin Jefferson

Received: (2024) Pick 15, Pick 82,

2025 2nd, 2025 4th,

2026 5th,

WR Alec Pierce

I don't like the proposed package for JJ. I would rather get this year's and next year's first round picks. Maybe something like this:

Colts get JJ

Vikings received Colts'

2024 First and third round picks

2025 First and 2nd round picks

I think JJ would be a perfect WR for Richardson.

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

What do you think of this? Someone proposed it on the Vikings site that I follow:

I don't like the proposed package for JJ. I would rather get this year's and next year's first round picks. Maybe something like this:

Colts get JJ

Vikings received Colts'

2024 First and third round picks

2025 First and 2nd round picks

I think JJ would be a perfect WR for Richardson.

I would prefer the proposed trade on the Vikings site.  I like the idea of giving them Pierce in the trade.  I would think they would like getting a receiver included and they would get a lot of picks which would be tempting.

36 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I would prefer the proposed trade on the Vikings site.  I like the idea of giving them Pierce in the trade.  I would think they would like getting a receiver included and they would get a lot of picks which would be tempting.

From the Colts perspective,  anyone would prefer the package from the Vikings website.   It’s insultingly low.   Minnesota would slam the phone down, it’s not even worth countering.   

Honestly, I don’t see the Vikings trading JJ at this point in his career, he’s a foundational piece,  and certainly not for so little. 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

From a Colts can perspective, the one proposed on the site is more favorable. I would want more.

I checked out what we got for Diggs. It was less than what is proposed for JJ. This is what we got for Diggs:

In return, Minnesota earned the No. 22 overall pick of the 2020 NFL Draft, a fifth-rounder in that same class, a sixth-rounder, and a 2021 fourth-round selection. 

I would still like two #1s for JJ.