Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Texans post game

The play call looked great, just really bad execution. Goodson was wide open. Minshew made a bad pass. A jt run would have been a better choice. But it wouldve been fine had minshew made a simple pitch and catch throw. Good season, and this is our 1st offseason with shane. Im going to bet he can build a well rounded team. Good season and theres certainly alot to look forward to.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, coming on strong said:

pierce is way to slow every passing play he is getting tightly covered . no break away speed and is a average route runner , he is only good on deep shots

Nonetheless he had several matchup advantages on Desmond king and they never took the opportunity to get him the ball on those matchups.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, coming on strong said:

pierce is way to slow every passing play he is getting tightly covered . no break away speed and is a average route runner , he is only good on deep shots

The dude is always open. Minshew just doesn’t throw it. That will be different with richarsdind big arm.

Just now, DiogoSales said:

Texans DC also played JT really well..

He did. He had over 150 yards.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, #12. said:

So were the Texans, but they're going to the playoffs and we're not. 

We weren't playing the Chiefs or some perennial power tonight, so it doesn't really matter how many games people predicted we would win.  Should have won it.

They had their rookie phenom QB. We didn't. Not sure how you can be disappointed with the season when comparing directly with the Texans. Stroud > Minshew and that shouldn't be a surprise.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

it was a good play call goodson was wide open  .  minshew is just so inaccurate i cant wait to never watch him again . i will be so mad if he returns

He's a backup, for goodness sake.  He's not our regular starter.  Get a grip!

He won us more games than anyone expected.  I definitely want him back next year if the price is right.

• Like 4

When you really break it down, Minshew just makes way too many mistakes. It the same with the defense, but his lows are really bad. It never looks as bad when he turns the ball over, but when you factor in the points he leaves on the board, he can be really bad. That overthrow to MAC was reminiscent of the Wentz overthrow to Hilton against the Raiders a few years back.

• Like 3

Just now, CheezyColt said:

They had their rookie phenom QB. We didn't. Not sure how you can be disappointed with the season when comparing directly with the Texans. Stroud > Minshew and that shouldn't be a surprise.

Considering the fact we had every opportunity to win it in the end, it's hard for me to get with that.  We should have won the game.  

19 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

At some point this has to stop. Everytime something is on the line this team can’t deliver.

I also can’t speak to how incredibly limited Minshew is as a QB. Overthrows, under throws, bad pocket presence, not clutch, not seeing open receivers, etc…We saw it all tonight. 

You ain't kidding so many open recievers down field etc can't make a 3rd down conversion literally the whole game 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DattMavis said:

If AR is the QB in this game, we win by 10, at least. I like Minshew as a personality. He’s a funny guy, and I love the quirkiness. I was born and raised in southern Indiana, and he reminds me of that crazy guy that lives in every trailer park in Evansville. Makes me feel at home. He’s not a starting QB.

He makes every pass harder for his receivers and he doesn’t see Alec wide open 30 yards down the field every other play. If AR is the QB this week, he has at least few TDs, and Alec has over 100 yards. 

As a born Newburgh-ian I definitely get the Evansville vibes and have had that exact thought as well lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The dude is always open. Minshew just doesn’t throw it. That will be different with richarsdind big arm.

He did. He had over 150 yards.

I hope you're right next year, but It'd be silly if Steichen simply hopes that is the case. Having a one trick pony at that spot who can't seem to provide any other utility in the passing game is something very risky to bet on going forward. We'll see.

1-11 on third down. 

that’s qb play, simply put. Appreciate what Gardner Minshew did for this team and he gave us a fighting chance. But he was not good enough throughout the season and certainly not tonight to lead us to the playoffs, let alone for any kind of playoff run. 227 yards running against a good run defense. 13/24 141 yards passing. With a true game managing qb, we are looking forward to next week. Stroud didn’t have much more than Collins tonight, but it was all he needed. Pretty good defensive effort, they definitely didn’t lose this game for us. Offense just didn’t win it. QB play has been a nightmare the last 3 seasons. Absolute nightmare. 

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, runthepost said:

CJ is the best QB in our division and has that dawg in him. Great players make great plays when needed

Giving C.J way too much credit. He made throws, but he was also getting bailed out by Nico.

Absolutely no way with the playoffs on the line do you bring the backup backup running back in and throw a pass to him. Jeesh not only do you not go with Taylor but you also left Moss on the bench.  It was 1 stinking yard!  I wouldn't have blamed Steichen in the least if we ran there and got stopped.  We'd been giving them the business on the ground for much of the game. We got too cute in that moment.  Yes Goodson was open, but #1 he's the backup to the backup so Im sure he was nervous, and #2 Minshew was missing most of his throws the whole game.  We had barely picked up any of our 3rd downs for the whole game. We should have lived and died with the run man on the 4th down play.  I don't like the taste of how we ended this loss. 

• Like 3

Just now, krunk said:

Absolutely no way with the playoffs on the line do you bring the backup backup running back in and throw a pass to him.

Jeesh not only do you not go with Taylor but you also left Moss on the bench.  It was 1 stinking yard!  I wouldn't have blamed

Steichen in the least if we ran there and got stopped.  We'd been giving them the business on the ground for much of the game. 

We got too cute in that moment.  Yes Goodson was open, but #1 he's the backup to the backup so Im sure he was nervous, and #2 Minshew was missing most of his throws the whole game.  We had barely picked up any of our 3rd downs for the whole game.

We should have lived and died with the run man on the 4th down play.  I don't like the taste of how we ended this loss. 

live and die with #28 in this game. 188 yards on 30 carries and he watched an undrafted runningback drop the ball with the season on the line like the rest of us. Inexcusable. 

Shane and this team overachieved this season. Horrible way to go out. But I’m hopeful that a rookie coach that is as intense with the game as they all say is loses sleep until next September for the mistakes he’s made and he comes out in ‘24 even better for it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Absolutely no way with the playoffs on the line do you bring the backup backup running back in and throw a pass to him. Jeesh not only do you not go with Taylor but you also left Moss on the bench.  It was 1 stinking yard!  I wouldn't have blamed Steichen in the least if we ran there and got stopped.  We'd been giving them the business on the ground for much of the game. We got too cute in that moment.  Yes Goodson was open, but #1 he's the backup to the backup so Im sure he was nervous, and #2 Minshew was missing most of his throws the whole game.  We had barely picked up any of our 3rd downs for the whole game. We should have lived and died with the run man on the 4th down play.  I don't like the taste of how we ended this loss. 

Feel the same. I can handle losing, but losing in this manner is tough. 

2 minutes ago, #12. said:

It's getting up there, isn't it?

Indeed. When you look at the Texans going to the playoffs a year removed from being a dumpster fire, and the Colts roster is supposedly very good. I just don't no what to say about our GM. 

• Thanks 1

I don’t want to  hear about playing with house money victories. I think that was Minshew’s  worst game of the season the season. so inaccurate showing little touch in the passing game. And I got a problem with coaching tonight when Houston kept the box up and we kept running into the teeth of the defense. Why in heavens name do we never do any action. It worked on the two point conversion and they never tried it again coach but he was definitely out class tonight by a rookie coach Ryans. We all saw the same thing such a vanilla And even though the defense played well at times, they rolled over and let Houston down the field to take Then you have six minutes and 40 seconds left we were gifted a missed extra point and yet we can’t put it in the end zone. I hope BRADLEY gets his walking papers tomorrow. This soft zone and lack of blitzing is pedantic. Yes, I’m ticked off as many of us. We should not have lost that game being at home, but I saw some players really taking plays off. And I hope that those players aren’t here next year. I hope Coach has a come to Jesus meeting with the entire team. I’m done I’m sitting in the parking lot trying to go home and I’m ticked.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Giving C.J way too much credit. He made throws, but he was also getting bailed out by Nico.

Yeah, he looked better at other times this season.  

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

1-11 on third down. 

that’s qb play, simply put. Appreciate what Gardner Minshew did for this team and he gave us a fighting chance. But he was not good enough throughout the season and certainly not tonight to lead us to the playoffs, let alone for any kind of playoff run. 227 yards running against a good run defense. 13/24 141 yards passing. With a true game managing qb, we are looking forward to next week. Stroud didn’t have much more than Collins tonight, but it was all he needed. Pretty good defensive effort, they definitely didn’t lose this game for us. Offense just didn’t win it. QB play has been a nightmare the last 3 seasons. Absolute nightmare. 

But our QB got hurt and won’t return until next year. 

Minshew is our backup, that’s all. He is better than most in that role but there’s a reason why he isn’t our starter.

If AR can stay healthy, this team is a playoff team for the next decade.

Just to jump off the blame game for a minute. JT looked like he got banged up good on that last drive.

Took a few missle hits while he was going down a couple times that last drive. Also got lower body bent like a pretzel on one tackle.

I wonder if that factored into the decision to not give him that last play.

• Like 1

Folks, just remember one thing. Garnder Minshew a veteran in the league literally didn’t make one throw tonight. The guy couldn’t come up with 1 single good throw tonight. I’m sure we’ll get some quirky video of him in the huddle though.

• Thanks 1

We have had numerous defensive coordinators in the past 51 years, the Colt defense has looked the same for the past 51 years. I want to see a new DC next year too, but no matter who it is we still won't blitz and we will give up numerous 3rd and forevers at any spot on the field. God, it is so frustrating and pathetic. We have played good solid defense maybe 4 years in the past 51. When we had Bert Jones we had to outscore opponents. 1987 we played great defense, but couldn't score. Then 1995 and 2005(both those seasons ended against the steelers in very badly officiated games, what a surprise) Whiners on here complain about Ballard, well I'll ask the question, how come in 51 years of Irsay ownership have the Colts NEVER been able to field a competitive solid defense?????? We always employ a triple vanilla, retreat and surrender, super duper soft zone defense, with virtually no blitzes, we rarely even mix up the coverages. There was one play tonight where we only rushed 3 the result of that play was a completion to collins for a first down along the right sideline(nice defense on that one Gus)

Sorry guys I’ve ran out of likes and thanks emojis lol. You guys get it. At the end of the day neither team is going to the superbowl. But I think the future is bright for both franchises. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, colts89 said:

I hope you're right next year, but It'd be silly if Steichen simply hopes that is the case. Having a one trick pony at that spot who can't seem to provide any other utility in the passing game is something very risky to bet on going forward. We'll see.

I agree with you on the one trick pony. I want more well rounded recievers.

Did they do that good of a job on Pittman?