Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No matter how the final 3 games pan out...

RockThatBlue

1 minute ago, PeterBowman said:

They've far exceeded expectations already.

Agreed. If you would have told me before the season we would win AT LEAST 8 games I would have said no way that will happen. I think most of us would have been shocked if we won 3 or 4 games. But we may end up in the playoffs. Unbelievable 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

It needs to be said from the mountain tops what a absolutely great coaching job Coach Steichen has done this year. I know it stinks we didnt really get to see how he would have done with AR the whole year...but still a great job. Its early but he seems like a WAY better coach than Frank Reich was. 

Before the season started I had us at 8-8-1 when I picked all the teams records. The Tie was my way of saying we wouldn't be below .500 and I was being cute. We have won 8 so that met my expectation there. Now it seems like if we don't make the playoffs, it will be a huge let down.

• Like 1

Steichen the MVP!!! Games like the road game vs Titans, Ravens, the last time we saw wins like those were when Luck was on the roster. 

Reich rarely had effective plan B-s and Cs, the ability to adapt and for it to show positive results is the difference with Steichen.

I had 6-9 as the range with AR, we’re almost there hitting the ceiling 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Steichen the MVP!!! Games like the road game vs Titans, Ravens, the last time we saw wins like those were when Luck was on the roster. 

Reich rarely had effective plan B-s and Cs, the ability to adapt and for it to show positive results is the difference with Steichen.

I had 6-9 as the range with AR, we’re almost there hitting the ceiling 

I had us at best 3-14, and honestly didn’t expect a win at all once AR went down. But our roster is better than expected and our new head coach is better than I expected too. There’s been growing pains and there’s been set backs, but we’re right in the hunt without our best weapons. Gives me lots of hope for the future.

that said, I would not be surprised if we take a step back next season similar to Manning in 2000/2001. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, csmopar said:

that said, I would not be surprised if we take a step back next season similar to Manning in 2000/2001. 

Well, aren’t you the eternal optimist, lol? :) 

I would expect a division title and a home playoff game next year, if the roster keeps improving.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

It needs to be said from the mountain tops what a absolutely great coaching job Coach Steichen has done this year. I know it stinks we didnt really get to see how he would have done with AR the whole year...but still a great job. Its early but he seems like a WAY better coach than Frank Reich was. 

The year has completely exceeded all expectations.   Steichen has been as good as anyone could hope for.   AR was better than expected.   As a fan, I couldn’t be happier.  

At the start if the year, I thought the Colts might be picking top-10.   Now it looks like we’ll be picking top-20.   

Who’d of thunk it?    Not me!   

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The year has completely exceeded all expectations.   Steichen has been as good as anyone could hope for.   AR was better than expected.   As a fan, I couldn’t be happier.  

At the start if the year, I thought the Colts might be picking top-10.   Now it looks like we’ll be picking top-20.   

Who’d of thunk it?    Not me!   

Agreed...

The only thing that's a huge negative is AR's injury and him missing on opportunities to get experience and development during the season. But other than that... I love that Shane has brought back the spirit of this team after they seemed so soulless by the end of last year. This team seems to have character and some juice. 

IMO we still need talent infusion at certain positions if we want to be a serious contender, but it looks like this season at least gave us the answer on the HC position. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Well, aren’t you the eternal optimist, lol? :) 

I would expect a division title and a home playoff game next year, if the roster keeps improving.

Yes but what I’m saying is I wouldn’t be surprised with a step backwards but long term, I think we’re gonna be back to our winning ways

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Before the season started I had us at 8-8-1 when I picked all the teams records. The Tie was my way of saying we wouldn't be below .500 and I was being cute. We have won 8 so that met my expectation there. Now it seems like if we don't make the playoffs, it will be a huge let down.

Hope you are wrong about the tie😂

It's been an EXCITING season to say the least!! I hope we make the playoffs but even IF we don't the foundation is quickly being laid by Shane and staff. Job WELL done!! I must give Ballard a shout out too because the hc hire has paid dividends already. We saw the flashes of AR under Shane before his season ending injury, once onboard we also saw what JT would like in this offense (after Moss's success) and moreover how Pitt has turned into a BIG dawg on the receiving end but the biggest payoff was Minshew following Shane from Philly to Indy. The familiarity has allowed Shane to cater to Minshew's strengths while trusting him to make the big play EVEN after he's made a bad one. No handcuffs. Add a few more pieces and this team can become dangerous next season.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Very true but it would stink if we were out due to a tie breaker with Cleve....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

Yes but what I’m saying is I wouldn’t be surprised with a step backwards but long term, I think we’re gonna be back to our winning ways

I am very happy with what I have seen from an overall standpoint for this year.  Much better than I had hoped for at the beginning of the season.

However, I agree with your point regarding next year.  Finishing 7/8th overall in the Conference this year means we face a tougher schedule next year, and our second year starter will still be in his rookie year experience-wise.  That *could* lead to a small step back. It may not, but I could definitely see it happening.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

I am very happy with what I have seen from an overall standpoint for this year.  Much better than I had hoped for at the beginning of the season.

However, I agree with your point regarding next year.  Finishing 7/8th overall in the Conference this year means we face a tougher schedule next year, and our second year starter will still be in his rookie year experience-wise.  That *could* lead to a small step back. It may not, but I could definitely see it happening.

Thank you for putting in words what I was trying unsuccessfully to. You’re spot on

• Like 1

Shane is amazing!  From the way he coaches the players, down to the o line coach he picked (that was his choice,  right?), he seems to get the best out of everyone. I know this won't happen,  but I'd love to see a Hard Knocks series of him leading the Colts!  I also want to give a shout out to Minshew.  You can see his growth from the beginning of the season to now,  and he's a great leader on n this team.  No matter happens these next three games,  I feel much happier now than in the past couple of years.  I'm also excited to see AR grow next year,  and can't wait for more Pierce connections down the field!

This season hasn't exceeded my pre season prediction. I felt it was our turn to have a decent season and predicted the colts and or Texans contend for the division with like a 9-8...8-8-1 type of record.

Of course that was thinking AR5 playing. 

As far as.Steinchen, yesterday's coaching and game plan and having the players ready to play was excellent. Best game,imo, he's had all season. And of course he's better than Reich, who isn't?? :funny:

But the brownie points he got yesterday doesn't quite offset the demerits he got for the Cincy and in Duvall county games which also were important games. Its still very early in his colts coaching career and we won't know for a while but yesterday's game was a step in the right direction.

Coach of the year candidate for sure.

I gave up on this colts team weeks ago and oh boy was I wrong about this team.

I didn't thought that this team with a backup QB, a banged up roster and that much noise in the locker room, with Shaq Leonard and JT would win this many games and be on the cusp of a playoff spot and have a fair chance of winning the division.

With the final 3 games and everything on the line, it pretty much win or go home in every single one of these games.

First it's the falcons (6-8) away - Should be the easiest game of the 3 remaining... but def not a sure win.

Then it's the Raiders (6-8) Home - The Colts have a 9-10 record vs. the Raiders, so this game will be a tough one to win, regardless of the raiders record.

Last game is vs. the Texans (8-6), and depending on the record of both teams in that game, it very well could be for the division title, as the Jags looks to be in decline and Jennifer Lawrence injured. 

But what a job Steichen has done with this team.

10 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Even though neither team is elite...its had to be a long time since we have beaten the Patriots and Steelers in the same season. I'm not even sure we did that in the Peyton Manning era.

I believe we did it in 2005 as both were primetime games on MNF.  Manning finally won at Foxboro and they did that Mastercard commercial towards the end of the MNF game "beating the Patriots at Foxborough - priceless."  We also beat Big Ben at home on MNF when Manning hit Marvin with a long TD on our 1st possession.   We also did it in 2008 - the last time we beat the Steelers before now.  We also beat the Pats, but that was the year Brady was out for the season after that week 1 knee injury. 

On 12/18/2023 at 8:46 AM, ThorstenDenmark said:

With the final 3 games and everything on the line, it pretty much win or go home in every single one of these games.

First it's the falcons (6-8) away - Should be the easiest game of the 3 remaining... but def not a sure win.

Then it's the Raiders (6-8) Home - The Colts have a 9-10 record vs. the Raiders, so this game will be a tough one to win, regardless of the raiders record.

Last game is vs. the Texans (8-6), and depending on the record of both teams in that game, it very well could be for the division title, as the Jags looks to be in decline and Jennifer Lawrence injured. 

But what a job Steichen has done with this team.

Devastating defeat to atlanta 😕

WE have over the Raiders .... if not... bye bye playoffs :/ 

13 minutes ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Devastating defeat to atlanta 😕

WE have over the Raiders .... if not... bye bye playoffs :/ 

True, but somehow this year I am not as bummed if we lose. I would like us to make the post season, but have been tempering my expectations. We aren't as bad as we played yesterday, but on the flip side, maybe not as good as we were against Pittsburgh.