Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I Still Find it Hard to Believe!

Smonroe

...that this team is in the playoff hunt.  Don't get me wrong, I love it and I hope it happens.

What makes it hard to believe is how ...mediocre (don't want to use the term bad) this team is.  Minshew is a roller coaster.  JT is out more than he plays, and except for MPJ we really didn't have another WR threat until yesterday.  Yes, Downs shows a lot of promise.

The defense is near the bottom in just about every important category.  Justifiably so, with the inexperience at CB, and missing Grove.  (But I love how Jones is playing, and Kenny is a stud).

I understand that the main reason we're in the hunt is because of the weak schedule, but you play who you play.  We seem to want to lose a little less that the teams we're facing, lol!

All that being said, I'm excited we're in the hunt.  I don't know how long it's going to last because I wait for that shoe to drop every game now.  But it's fun.

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

...that this team is in the playoff hunt.  Don't get me wrong, I love it and I hope it happens.

What makes it hard to believe is how ...mediocre (don't want to use the term bad) this team is.  Minshew is a roller coaster.  JT is out more than he plays, and except for MPJ we really didn't have another WR threat until yesterday.  Yes, Downs shows a lot of promise.

The defense is near the bottom in just about every important category.  Justifiably so, with the inexperience at CB, and missing Grove.  (But I love how Jones is playing, and Kenny is a stud).

I understand that the main reason we're in the hunt is because of the weak schedule, but you play who you play.  We seem to want to lose a little less that the teams we're facing, lol!

All that being said, I'm excited we're in the hunt.  I don't know how long it's going to last because I wait for that shoe to drop every game now.  But it's fun.

Yeah, my sentiments exactly; It's surprising. 

It will be a pleasant surprise if we make the playoffs.

If we do, I hope we win a game or two. It's been a while. 

• Like 2

There is talent on this team. There was talent on this team last year, too.

The difference is and has been coaching.

The mediocrity you're feeling is the missing piece or two who ties it all together. QB play for one, and I feel confidently that we already own this piece. Just have to polish and protect him.

We really are that close, otherwise this team would not be 'over producing' this year.

I am reminded of Heraclitus when I think of this team. We're missing the one.

“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn’t even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”
— Heraclitus

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Not me.  Just 2 years ago this team was a QB away forma playoff run all the experts said. 

3 years ago the Colts had the best O-line

with the right added pieces the Colts can make a quick turnaround and play competitive games. 

And they did,  playoffs here we come. Now, do I believe we will win the super bowl, NO but the playoff experience is a stepping stone to get there. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IinD said:

This strange mentality of 'let's tank if we're not #1' is strange and only really a product of the last 20 years

Yeah, I could have a "get off my lawn" moment with that.  You now have many people who are more interested fantasy football, the draft and advanced metrics than they are watching the actual games.  The actual games themselves often seem immaterial.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Coaching and we execute when it counts at the end as in we are winning most of our close games.

• Like 1

I love it that we are relevant this year, brings excitement for us colts fans!... That being said, its because we face terrible teams lol. Look at all the QB we have faced or will face this year. We face who we face yes i agree but this is why we are relevant lol. Excited for the journey but hopes are not too high because i know we will get let down some how. Just glad we can actually have some hope this year at least.

13 minutes ago, tfunky14 said:

Not me.  Just 2 years ago this team was a QB away forma playoff run all the experts said. 

3 years ago the Colts had the best O-line

with the right added pieces the Colts can make a quick turnaround and play competitive games. 

And they did,  playoffs here we come. Now, do I believe we will win the super bowl, NO but the playoff experience is a stepping stone to get there. 

Honestly  no afc team has really separated  themselves  so it might not be impossible  to get to the super bowl

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It would be cool if somehow we got in and I think we will, then played you guys to open it up. A lot of story lines there, big rivalry and the Colts haven't won in Jacks since 2014.

This reminds me of Colts vs Texans in playoffs with luck and TY!!

• Like 1

This season reminds me of the 2012 season in many ways.  We had a (-30 point differential) and a (-13 TO ratio), but we found ways to win games.  I think we were 9-1 in one score games that year and won several ugly games, but we showed alot of heart and battled week in and week out.  I think the whole "ChuckStrong" mantra carried the team somewhat, but we had several solid core players.  I argue that Reggie actually had his best year in 2012.  

This year we're 5-2 in one score games, have a (+4 point differential) and a (+2 TO ratio) and find ways to win games with several solid core players.  It's not pretty, but it doesn't matter at this point.  It's been a fun ride so far and I just tune out the constant "doom and gloomers".  They obviously have other issues going on in their psyche that have nothing to do with the Colts.     

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I understand that the main reason we're in the hunt is because of the weak schedule, but you play who you play

Compared to the past, the AFC is pretty weak at the moment.  There aren't many teams to play.  The South might the best division in the AFC, and we're 7-5.  

1 minute ago, tweezy32 said:

I love it that we are relevant this year, brings excitement for us colts fans!... That being said, its because we face terrible teams lol. Look at all the QB we have faced or will face this year. We face who we face yes i agree but this is why we are relevant lol. Excited for the journey but hopes are not too high because i know we will get let down some how. Just glad we can actually have some hope this year at least.

We beat Lamar Jackson and CJ Stroud on the road - both have played great all year. Baker Mayfield is above average as well and we beat him. Most teams only have maybe 4 or 5 games on their schedule that are really rough anyway. I can say half the league have faced terrible teams that is why they are doing well. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, lester said:

There is talent on this team. There was talent on this team last year, too.

The difference is and has been coaching.

The mediocrity you're feeling is the missing piece or two who ties it all together. QB play for one, and I feel confidently that we already own this piece. Just have to polish and protect him.

We really are that close, otherwise this team would not be 'over producing' this year.

I am reminded of Heraclitus when I think of this team. We're missing the one.

Now that's deep!  And I learned something.

Thanks.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We beat Lamar Jackson and CJ Stroud on the road - both have played great all year. Baker Mayfield is above average as well and we beat him. Most teams only have maybe 4 or 5 games on their schedule that are really rough anyway. I can say half the league have faced terrible teams that is why they are doing well. 

Remember when the season started, most of the pundits said Houston had the least talent of any team in the league.  (Of course, some said it was the Colts too, lol).

It goes to show what a smart, accurate QB can do for a team.  They remind me of the Colts in 2012 when Luck willed them to the playoffs.  And it gives me hope that with AR we can be a real threat next season.

I'm not too sure we'll have the same outcome when we face them at the end of the year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Lamar is not that good (my opinion). CJ Stround was just getting use to the NFL so he wasnt how he was playing this past few weeks. Baker is only average i think and only good enough to compete and be relevant. 

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Remember when the season started, most of the pundits said Houston had the least talent of any team in the league.  (Of course, some said it was the Colts too, lol).

It goes to show what a smart, accurate QB can do for a team.  They remind me of the Colts in 2012 when Luck willed them to the playoffs.  And it gives me hope that with AR we can be a real threat next season.

I'm not too sure we'll have the same outcome when we face them at the end of the year.

That is fair, Stroud still threw for a lot of Yards against us. Reason we beat them, we got to him and sacked him 6 times. It rattled him early and they got in a hole to deep.

3 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

Lamar is not that good (my opinion). CJ Stround was just getting use to the NFL so he wasnt how he was playing this past few weeks. Baker is only average i think and only good enough to compete and be relevant. 

Jackson might win MVP this year - he's been solid the whole year, so I disagree with you on Jack.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is fair, Stroud still threw for a lot of Yards against us. Reason we beat them, we got to him and sacked him 6 times. It rattled him early and they got in a hole to deep.

Jackson might win MVP this year - he's been solid the whole year, so I disagree with you on Jack.

Okay that makes sense then, I havent been paying much attention to him honestly that much this year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, compuls1v3 said:

Regardless of opponents, we are one game behind the Chiefs.  Something to be proud of.  It's not easy to win in the NFL.

I preach that every week. As in, it is not easy to win the NFL. We made it look easy for years when we had Peyton and then Luck, but those days are over so many need to understand that. 

COACHING is key! We now have a young aggressive offensive mind that has elevated a decent cast with a backup qb at the helm. Most pundits wonder how are the Colts winning with Minshew at qb because of his history of up and down play.

I think Shane REALIZES this and is able to accept the warts because he also knows this season is house money no matter how it ends. For every Minshew miscue he STILL trusts him to MAKE a play also!! Shane took fgs in the Titans game and as shakey as Garner looked at times Shane put the ball in his hands in OT. He did it on the called deep ball and on the game winning td toss! They showed on the telecast before one of the big plays Shane saying "Come on Minshew!" like this is the play that will change the game IF executed correctly.

So for me personally I'll just keep riding the wave of an exciting run that I didn't see coming ESPECIALLY after all the misfortunes that the team has suffered this season while also coming off a dismal 4 win campaign just last year. Go Colts!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

The guys play hard for each other and Steichen is aggressive with his playcalling and believes in his guys.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tweezy32 said:

Me personally think we are better then the Chiefs. They just have Mahomes and we have Minshew. 

I won't laugh that off.  CJ Stroud is proof of what the right QB can do for a team.  We may be better than them at the skill positions (except QB and Kelce).  

I'm not sure about defense.   Ours isn't very good on the back end.  And the tackling has been pretty rough lately.

I also can't imagine where we would be if AR hadn't gotten hurt.  when teams have to account or spy on AR and his ability to run and get the ball downfield, i think we we win two or more additional games.  Stache has done well enough, but I think AR would have been able to eliminate at least 2 of the losses.....  Fun to watch and a bright future. 

For me the thing of note isn’t that we are in the playoff hunt. It’s the fact that we swept the titans, and in a game where we needed to win to stay in the current playoff picture, we went into Nashville and finished business. 

over the last 5 years that hasn’t been the case at all. We usually go in and lose and make things harder for ourselves. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I felt it was time/turn for the colts to have a decent season which is why I predicted we and/or Houston would contend for the division or a wild card. 

But despite only winning 4 games last year the team could have or should have won at least a few more. And when you add that '23 has upgrades at QB and just about any new HC would have been a  huge upgrade from last season, the improvement in record is explainable. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Todays Version Of Captain Comeback & The Cardiac Colts .   This Last Game Had Me On The edge Of My seat 1 Minute & cussing The next . & The 2 point play going the other way I had not seen that 1 before . 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IinD said:

Always better to win than lose I don't care what anyone says.

This strange mentality of 'let's tank if we're not #1' is strange and only really a product of the last 20 years.

I don't set 3 hours of my life each Sunday for draft positioning. I want to see my team win.

I'm having a great time watching the team win this year. 

We seem to have found the right coach I feel and he's getting the most out of an incomplete team.

Go Colts...

Great post and spot on. The " let's tank " every year crowd is laughable. Anyone that wants to lose every week is ,well,...a loser.

• Like 4

IMHO strength of schedule is overrated.  Look back at SuperBowl champions and participants over the last 10 to 20 years - you'll see plenty of teams that had easy schedules.  You'll also see plenty of teams that had easy schedules that couldn't BEAT the teams on their schedule.  Yesterday is a perfect example - many are going to say, "Oh, wow, you beat a 4-8 team in overtime."  It was a 4-8 division rival in THEIR HOUSE.

• Like 2