Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Maybe it was Sirianni after all?

John Hammonds

Ex Head Coach Frank Reich's new team?  Terrible.

Ex Defensive Coordinator Matt Eberflus' new team?  Terrible.

Ex Offensive Coordinator Nick Sirianni's new team?  Superbowl contenders.

The last time Colts had a good team?  2020.

The last time Sirianni was with the Colts?  2020.

Things that make you go hmmmmm......

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Or, hear me out, things I don’t think about at all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

No offense, but I don't think it's too hard to connect those dots.  But I do agree.

9 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

coaches dont win games, talent wins games and make coaches look great

This is mostly true. We've learned that Brady was the reason Belichick was so good. He's been unable to replicate that success. The only real exception is someone like Kyle Shanahan who can come up with a certain scheme to make a team good with any sort of players. Mike McDaniels does the same with the Dolphins in a way just getting speed guys. However, yes. The best talent will always shine through in the end. Usually it's because of a great QB, but even a solid defense can operate on one side of the ball and carry a team to a degree.

Ballard tried a version of this strategy with athletes in the draft. Although they are talented from an athletic perspective, a lot of them weren't good enough football players. So you have to have a mix of talent and scheme to succeed. You can't put together a random group of football players. 

• Like 2

Sirianni is probably responsible for a lot of Jalen Hurts success in Philly. It's the old Andy Reid/Eric Beiniemy riddle all over again on who's responsible for the QB success on their team. As far as Minshew goes specifically, I'm not convinced Steichen had a lot to do with it. He's either been turnover prone or been just bad as a starter. He's nothing like he was in Philly. 

I will say Richardson looked solid when he played before getting injured for the year, so Steichen probably deserves some credit for Hurts success in Philly. More than Minshew for sure. I'm also not too convinced that Steichen likes the multiple RB strategy, as he's gotten away from it a decent amount when both Taylor and Moss are healthy.

• Like 2

Coaches coach, players play. Coaches maximize the strengths of the players they have.

Josh McDaniels or Nick Sirianni or Tom Moore or Bill Walsh can't make a gourmet meal with Mac Jones, it is as simple as that. Classic case of where coaching matters is Tom Coughlin vs Patriots versus other teams that couldn't go toe to toe for 60 minutes. Great DL, just a good secondary, good ball control and sound football. Yes, coaching does matter. Bill Parcells would tell you that you can't make a great meal with lousy groceries.

But when it comes to playoffs and teams are evenly matched in talent, small coaching adjustments or moves can make all the difference to giving your team an edge. Ask Mahomes to go to Chicago Bears, let us see how well he does with those coaches. I bet he already is feeling the drop off with Matt Nagy, former Bears HC, coming back to replace Eric Bieniemy who I think is better than Matt Nagy calling plays. You can have all the talent in the world but can underachieve without good coaching. Vince Young and RG3, if they had John Harbaugh instead of Jeff Fisher and Mike Shanahan, probably have longer careers. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

He had Rivers, and he has Hurts (second in MVP voting). I’d like to see him be a SB contender with Minshew, Ryan, Ehlinger… you can’t be serious. I’d take Rivers or Hurts over any of those guys. Look at Belichick. Brady leaves and the guy is a loser. QB makes HCs great, not vice versa. Manning took 4 HCs to a SB. Sean Payton couldn’t do anything without Drew Bree’s. If you want to give anyone credit you give it to Kyle Shanahan because that guy has shown a hell of a lot more than Nick ever could, and even then, the 49ers have had a great defense for years. 

You say that as if Rivers was an all world talent at QB the year he had him. He definitely played that best out of any of Ballard’s other QB’s, but that was past his prime Rivers. What he was able to do with him was impressive. Totally different skill set than Hurts. He seems to be the best “coach” out of the 3. Frank and Flus are better as coordinators.

11 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Correlation does not equal causation. Too many variables and factors are involved  in a team's success to attribute that success to just one person. JMO

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

You say that as if Rivers was an all world talent at QB the year he had him. He definitely played that best out of any of Ballard’s other QB’s, but that was past his prime Rivers. What he was able to do with him was impressive. Totally different skill set than Hurts. He seems to be the best “coach” out of the 3. Frank and Flus are better as coordinators.

To be fair, Sirianni also coached Rivers with the Chargers as well, before he was "over the hill".

• Like 2

14 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Probably just mediocre personnel elevated by good QB play during the Luck and Rivers seasons.  Siranni did poorly his first year with Philly, then got better talent on offense, and had some good rookie DBs; and there, you now have a great coach LOL.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Probably just mediocre personnel elevated by good QB play during the Luck and Rivers seasons.  Siranni did poorly his first year with Philly, then got better talent on offense, and had some good rookie DBs, and there you now have a great coach LOL.

**AJ Brown waves in the background.**

Sport Nfl GIF by Philadelphia Eagles

• Like 1

15 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

The QB equation doesn’t matter? :hide:

17 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Sirianni is probably responsible for a lot of Jalen Hurts success in Philly. It's the old Andy Reid/Eric Beiniemy riddle all over again on who's responsible for the QB success on their team. As far as Minshew goes specifically, I'm not convinced Steichen had a lot to do with it. He's either been turnover prone or been just bad as a starter. He's nothing like he was in Philly. 

I will say Richardson looked solid when he played before getting injured for the year, so Steichen probably deserves some credit for Hurts success in Philly. More than Minshew for sure. I'm also not too convinced that Steichen likes the multiple RB strategy, as he's gotten away from it a decent amount when both Taylor and Moss are healthy.

I think it’s pretty obvious he’s gotten away from the multiple RB philosophy if he ever even believed in it.  Especially after yesterday.  It looks like he’s a big fan of the bell cow running back.  He didn’t have one in Philly.  If he had one he would have rode him.  He has one with the Colts.  I bet he was thrilled when the team signed JT.  You go to battle with your playmakers on the field all the time.  That increases your probability for success.  First chapter Coaching 101.  Lol

• Like 2

I realized this a while back - BUT -  you also have to take in to consideration that Nick Sirianni inherited a MUCH better team - AND - has a GM that is a "wheeler-dealer".

My personal opinion - when I realized this - was that Sirianni should have been allowed to call the offensive plays on game day.

WOULD THAT have changed things in Indy?

The world will never know.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Correlation does not equal causation. Too many variables and factors are involved  in a team's success to attribute that success to just one person. JMO

LOL, yes, I know that the causes are more complex than my OP stated.  And I also understand the "post hoc ergo propter hoc" fallacy.  I just thought it was fun to think about the correlation.  What else are ya gonna do during the bye week?  :D  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

the colts made the playoffs with Rivers at QB. And haven’t since. I’d say that says more about how good he was than not. Then Nick makes a SB with a team that had a top QB… coincidence? The eagles didn’t do so well when hurts wasn’t as good and didn’t make the playoffs. He becomes second in MVP voting and they make the SB… coincidence?  

• Like 1

Looks like Thomas Brown didn't last long as Carolina play-caller...

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/frank-reich-will-call-offensive-plays-for-panthers

Panthers head coach Frank Reich said on Monday that he was thinking through the best path forward for the team’s offensive play-calling and he revealed what he came up with on Wednesday.

Reich told reporters at a press conference that he has taken back the play-calling duties from offensive coordinator Thomas Brown. Reich called the team’s plays to open the season, but gave up the role to Brown in mid-October...

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

Looks like Thomas Brown didn't last long as Carolina play-caller...

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/frank-reich-will-call-offensive-plays-for-panthers

Panthers head coach Frank Reich said on Monday that he was thinking through the best path forward for the team’s offensive play-calling and he revealed what he came up with on Wednesday.

Reich told reporters at a press conference that he has taken back the play-calling duties from offensive coordinator Thomas Brown. Reich called the team’s plays to open the season, but gave up the role to Brown in mid-October...

If he calls them there like he did here with similar results, he may only last 1 season in Carolina.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2023 at 5:39 AM, NFLfan said:

Causal chains (causation) are networks of complex-coupled factors that are frankly beyond the grasp of most people. Even big honkin' computers have difficulties sussing them out.

• 1 month later...

Since we kicked Frank Reich when he was down, does this mean it’s Sirianni’s turn now? So was it Sirianni or was it Steichen??

Just goes to show you anyone can have a bad year or two. Let’s show some grace.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Since we kicked Frank Reich when he was down, does this mean it’s Sirianni’s turn now? So was it Sirianni or was it Steichen??

Sirianni is a * and he’s getting karma for all the times he’s mouthed off last year and this. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Eagles lost their OC and their DC. Now they’re struggling 

10 hours ago, chad72 said:

Definitely Steichen.  That offense does not look the same at all 

On 11/13/2023 at 6:09 AM, Defjamz26 said:

Also probably helps that Sirianni has a GM who drafts and trades for guys at the premier positions.

that says everything about what is wrong with the colts gm, when he does draft at the premier positions he has too many misses, trades at these positions are rare with him if ever

53 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

that says everything about what is wrong with the colts gm, when he does draft at the premier positions he has too many misses, trades at these positions are rare with him if ever

Give it time.  This same GM you’re lauding took Raegor over Justin Jefferson.  Also took Arcega-Whiteside over many other better options.

Credit due on getting AJ Brown but that was also a comical trade by the Titans GM at the time which led to his firing and now Vrabel being fired.  Ultimately, got lucky in a way.  Right place, right time which a lot of people don’t want to admit, is part of the game.  Have to get lucky and over time, that should work out.  For example, if the Vikings offered Justin Jefferson for the Colts first rounder (and that’s all), I guarantee you Ballard makes the move.  That’s basically what happened with AJ Brown because the now fired Titans GM didn’t want to pay him.  Also, that trade never would’ve been an option for Ballard as an in division opponent

1 hour ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

Why is every post of yours a slam towards Ballard?