Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Top 10 draft pick incoming....

ThorstenDenmark

Hello Colts fans....

Well... with Anthony Richardson´s injury which looks like season ending, and though we have a decent backup QB in Minshew.... it looks like we are heading towards another top 10 draft pick.

Why so? well looking at our remaining schedule I see us going 3-8 (6-11) at best. (Yes, im not as optimistic as other colts fans in here, so sorry for that opinion)

Cleveland L

Saints W

AT Panthers W

AT Patriots L

Bucks L

AT Titans L

AT Bengals L

Steelers L

AT Falcons L

Raiders W

Texans L

A 6-11 record will put us in the ballpark of a top 7-10 draft pick, so we might get a chance to get a really great young player once again.

So for the sake of this argument, what position should we or what is our biggest need? 

And should we just go all in and throw a bunch of picks after a player like Marvin Harrison Jr?

Of course the 2024 draft is a long way from now, but given the situation with AR, this season looks to be yet another one, where the colts don't seem to make the playoffs, which in my opinion could have looked different with AR in the field.

So colts fans... how is the mood and am I being to unrealistic?

• Like 1

Patriots cannot win to save their lives right now. Bucs are a good team but this is Mayfield. Titans, Steelers, Texans, Falcons all not great teams...

I'm not saying we're going to playoffs, but I can see us having a competitive year, that's more than '22 horror show and without AR, it's probably the best we can do.

• Like 3

WR, CB, DE, S and DT are all positions that could use a boost from 1st round talent. DT more bc Grover and Buckner will need extended or replaced. Safety is not high on my list but a play maker back there always helps. I think the first three I listed are extremely important spots to get blue chip players at. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Hello Colts fans....

Well... with Anthony Richardson´s injury which looks like season ending, and though we have a decent backup QB in Minshew.... it looks like we are heading towards another top 10 draft pick.

Why so? well looking at our remaining schedule I see us going 3-8 (6-11) at best. (Yes, im not as optimistic as other colts fans in here, so sorry for that opinion)

Cleveland L

Saints W

AT Panthers W

AT Patriots L

Bucks L

AT Titans L

AT Bengals L

Steelers L

AT Falcons L

Raiders W

Texans L

A 6-11 record will put us in the ballpark of a top 7-10 draft pick, so we might get a chance to get a really great young player once again.

So for the sake of this argument, what position should we or what is our biggest need? 

And should we just go all in and throw a bunch of picks after a player like Marvin Harrison Jr?

Of course the 2024 draft is a long way from now, but given the situation with AR, this season looks to be yet another one, where the colts don't seem to make the playoffs, which in my opinion could have looked different with AR in the field.

Sorry to rain on your parade. I see them going 7-4.

We will be staring JT, so our run game will go back to running into the pile for a 1 yard gain.   Since JT will surpass Moss as the starter because of contract, we'll probably go 3 and 8.

I think that TE Brock Bowers will get open more often in the NFL than MJH jr.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

They aren’t cutting Leonard. Can y’all just let him get himself back together health before judgement?

Leonard is healthy and played the majority of snaps Sunday.

Fact of the matter is, he's an absolute shell of his formal self - whether any of us like it or not. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Hello Colts fans....

Cleveland L

Saints W

AT Panthers W

AT Patriots L

Bucks L

AT Titans L

AT Bengals L

Steelers L

AT Falcons L

Raiders W

Texans L

Dare you to say the Colts loose in Germany!! 

And more so to the Pats! 

I don’t see us picking to 10. This is still a 6-7 win team. Maybe somewhere between  10-15. There’s still some winnable games on the schedule. Browns, Raiders, Pats, and Falcons are winnable games. I’d like to say Panthers but it would be typical Colts fashion for that to be a trap game where Young and his offense have their best game of the season against us.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Fact of the matter is, he's an absolute shell of his formal self - whether any of us like it or not. 

It’s safe to say Leonard is auditioning for a roster spot the rest of the year. I get the whole working his way back from injury angle but finances will come into play. I believe he has the 2nd highest LB contract in the league and he isnt the best LB on the team right now. A lot of players are on expiring contracts and more due for extensions. Unless Leonard starts showing he has returned to his turnover ways, the Colts probably don’t have a choice but to cut him and save $12m in cap space next year. Maybe more if designated post June 1st but I’m not fully knowledgeable on how that works with roster bonuses and spreading dead cap hit over two seasons. 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, DougDew said:

We will be staring JT, so our run game will go back to running into the pile for a 1 yard gain.   Since JT will surpass Moss as the starter because of contract, we'll probably go 3 and 8.

Hopefully those 1yd runs vs stacked boxes and a crowded LOS will setup the playaction pass. Hopefully Steichen can get Minshew attacking the seams with MPJ, Downs and the capable TE group. 

45 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Hopefully Bowers will have no residual physical issues following his ankle surgery.

Why did you name him?

40 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Maybe so. But he isn’t getting cut unless it’s after camp next season. He will be given the whole season and off-season to return to form.

43 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Hopefully Bowers will have no residual physical issues following his ankle surgery.

Why did you name him?

Based upon my limited college football watching this season (which includes a lot of UGA games and some OSU games) he looks like the one college player that is truly a generational talent at his position.

And his position scores touchdowns and makes first downs, so its a great position to have a generational talent.

MJHj looks great, but I don't know if he's that much greater than a typical NFL WR.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Hello Colts fans....

Cleveland L

Saints W

AT Panthers W

AT Patriots L

Bucks L

AT Titans L

AT Bengals L

Steelers L

AT Falcons L

Raiders W

Texans L

Browns = W (4-3)

Saints = L (4-4)

at Panthers = W (5-4)

Patriots (at London) = W (6-4)

Bucs = L (6-5)

at Titans = W (7-5)

at Bengals = L (7-6)

Steelers = Tie (7-6-1)

at Falcons = L (7-7-1)

Raiders = W (8-7-1)

Texans = W (9-7-1) 

Colts go 9-7-1 and make a Wildcard. I had 8-8-1 before the season but I also thought through 6 games we would be 2-4. I had us losing at Ravens and we won that one. We are 3-3 so we are a game ahead of schedule. 

For the people wanting a high draft pick as in top 10ish, you guys are going to be disappointed. Our schedule is too favorable for that.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Browns = W (4-3)

Saints = L (4-4)

at Panthers = W (5-4)

Bucs = L (6-5)

at Titans = W (7-5)

at Bengals = L (7-6)

Steelers = Tie (7-6-1)

at Falcons = L (7-7-1)

Raiders = W (8-7-1)

Texans = W (9-7-1) 

Colts go 9-7-1 and make a Wildcard. I had 8-8-1 before the season but I also thought through 6 games we would be 2-4. I had us losing at Ravens and we won that one. We are 3-3 so we are a game ahead of schedule. 

For the people wanting a high draft pick as in top 10ish, you guys are going to be disappointed. Our schedule is too favorable for that.

This is thinking optimistic, but it isn't extreme either. If we do lose one of these that I have as a win, then we would be 8-8-1 like I picked before the season.

37 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Browns = W (4-3)

Saints = L (4-4)

at Panthers = W (5-4)

Bucs = L (6-5)

at Titans = W (7-5)

at Bengals = L (7-6)

Steelers = Tie (7-6-1)

at Falcons = L (7-7-1)

Raiders = W (8-7-1)

Texans = W (9-7-1) 

Just don’t see it. Browns beat the Niners, for starters. I see at most another 2-3 wins. Minshew was exposed on Sunday. A middling arm and he can be panicked into mistakes unfortunately. If they go 5-12, that’s a Top 10 pick. High enough to nab a top WR (just not Marv Jr). 

Just now, Hoose said:

Just don’t see it. Browns beat the Niners, for starters. I see at most another 2-3 wins. Minshew was exposed on Sunday. A middling arm and he can be panicked into mistakes unfortunately. If they go 5-12, that’s a Top 10 pick. High enough to nab a top WR (just not Marv Jr). 

Hey everyone has opinions. We will see. If I am wrong so be it, then we get a top 10 pick. I just think our schedule is pretty weak.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I don't know... 

There's a lot of suckage going on throughout the NFL this season...

We're sitting right at 15 at the moment, and I think that's where we end up in January. Too good to lose out, not good enough for playoffs. Mediocrely balanced. 

I think the Jags game has exposed the team as being not much different from the Frank era.  It has the same problems with a weak armed relatively immobile QB and JT in the back field, and no real receiving threat.  I think defenses sit on JT and the short routes again.

The oline is playing better and the play caller is better, but I think we are near our peak in terms of quality of offense.  

Hyperbole aside, I'm not going as harsh as 3-8, but 4-7 or 5-6 seems likely.  Probably 7-10 for the season, with a weak schedule for tie breakers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think the Jags game has exposed the team as being not much different from the Frank era.  It has the same problems with a weak armed relatively immobile QB and JT in the back field, and no real receiving threat.  I think defenses sit on JT and the short routes again.

The oline is playing better and the play caller is better, but I think we are near our peak in terms of quality of offense.  

Hyperbole aside, I'm not going as harsh as 3-8, but 4-7 or 5-6 seems likely.  Probably 7-10 for the season, with a weak schedule for tie breakers.

The Browns defense will give Minshew fits for sure. 

Saints, Raiders, Buccaneers, and Steelers defenses should also handle us quite easily. Gardner can't throw on the run, so as long as one defensive lineman can get pressure and the defense stays in that base form to contain Moss and Taylor we'll be in trouble. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Hello Colts fans....

Cleveland L

Saints W

AT Panthers W

AT Patriots L

Bucks L

AT Titans L

AT Bengals L

Steelers L

AT Falcons L

Raiders W

Texans L

I think we beat the Patriots and the Falcons as well. Maybe the Titans. Maybe the Texans. 

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

I think we beat the Patriots and the Falcons as well. Maybe the Titans. Maybe the Texans. 

Falcons depends on their star running back. If he goes off we could lose. 

Patriots could be very, very desperate for a win by the time they face us. 

I'll tell you this. If we beat the Steelers and the Patriots in the same season, I'll be happy regardless if we lose all of the other games. Hell I'll be happy if we beat one of those two teams. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Browns = W (4-3)

Saints = L (4-4)

at Panthers = W (5-4)

Bucs = L (6-5)

at Titans = W (7-5)

at Bengals = L (7-6)

Steelers = Tie (7-6-1)

at Falcons = L (7-7-1)

Raiders = W (8-7-1)

Texans = W (9-7-1) 

Agreed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Browns = W (4-3)

Saints = L (4-4)

at Panthers = W (5-4)

Bucs = L (6-5)

at Titans = W (7-5)

at Bengals = L (7-6)

Steelers = Tie (7-6-1)

at Falcons = L (7-7-1)

Raiders = W (8-7-1)

Texans = W (9-7-1) 

Let’s not forget that almost a year ago you were making this exact same prediction on the 2022 Colts.   That there was a clear path to a winning season and even the playoffs.   

Im not saying history is going to repeat itself and our season is about to implode, not saying that at all….    But I am saying you’re an extreme optimist and that’s coloring some of your predictions.  I agree our schedule is favorable, but I don’t think it’s as favorable as you see it.   Again, a very optimistic viewpoint.  

• Like 1

its either we win more then we all thought, or we lose more then we thought i think personally. i can see us winning all these games everyone is claiming is winnable but i can very easily see us losing all of them too. We play a lot of bad teams with good defenses. Can easily be shut down. theres going to be a kings ransom for the top 3 picks this year so wont be bad to lose out lol

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

The Office Lol GIF

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Let’s not forget that almost a year ago you were making this exact same prediction on the 2022 Colts.   That there was a clear path to a winning season and even the playoffs.   

Im not saying history is going to repeat itself and our season is about to implode, not saying that at all….    But I am saying you’re an extreme optimist and that’s coloring some of your predictions.  I agree our schedule is favorable, but I don’t think it’s as favorable as you see it.   Again, a very optimistic viewpoint.  

With a healthy Richardson, it would've been quite favorable. 

With a rookie dynamic QB this is a .500 team. But with Minshew? I'm still feeling 5-6 wins.

Again for the record I think Gardner is a good backup. But he's not a starter. 

I'm really thankful we didn't sell our 2024 picks to move up, because we could be picking 10-15. 

I feel bad for Carolina fans right now...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Hello Colts fans....

Cleveland L

Saints W

AT Panthers W

AT Patriots L

Bucks L

AT Titans L

AT Bengals L

Steelers L

AT Falcons L

Raiders W

Texans L

I think you're being unrealistic. I do think Minshew sucked in that game but I don't think each and every game he will play like that. Especially I don't expect us to have him take 50 plus attempts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Based upon my limited college football watching this season (which includes a lot of UGA games and some OSU games) he looks like the one college player that is truly a generational talent at his position.

And his position scores touchdowns and makes first downs, so its a great position to have a generational talent.

MJHj looks great, but I don't know if he's that much greater than a typical NFL WR.

None of it matters if they go to a team with an average QB.

Gronk went to the Patriots and he is a HOF TE. If he went to a team like the Steelers who don't feature their TE much under Big Ben and do more 3 WR formations, he might have been productive but not in the same uber productive ways with the Patriots.

Kyle Pitts - drafted at No.4, playing with the guy Ridder, who you were HIGH on, what have they both done? Not much. I will however, take your assessment with a grain of salt when it comes to MHJ. 

Scheme, QB, OC all matter for pass catchers to flourish. As a pure talent, MHJ is very good. Just needs to go to the right team. 

18 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Kyle Pitts - drafted at No.4, playing with the guy Ridder, who you were HIGH on, what have they both done? Not much. I will however, take your assessment with a grain of salt when it comes to MHJ.

I've never been high on Ridder, but he's an NFL starting QB.  I just have a broader lens about teams drafting QB talent than fans discarding them when they aren't top 15 superhero talent.  

ATL has not been considering a QB since they've drafted him, even though ATL keeps popping up on Colts fans' lists of teams possibly needing a QB.    Knowing those fans are wrong doesn't mean I'm tremendously high on Ridder.  He's a third round NFL starting QB, but not superhero talent.

Pitts is more of a fast guy, IMO.  Bowers is stronger and can break tackles as well as run away from them.  I'd take Bowers college play over Pitts' college play. 

A QB certainly needs to get the receiver the ball.  I would think AR should be able to get MJHj the ball deep outside.