Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Top 10 draft pick incoming....

ThorstenDenmark

3 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I don't think that AR is ever going to be an accurate enough thrower without the designed runs, scrambles, roll/sprint outs.

But I've also said that that might not be necessary any more with the running QB.  Like over and over, I've said AR might work out running with JT (even though that didn't make any differnce.)

We’ve gone round and round earlier this year on this topic of whether accuracy can be improved. We didn’t agree then and won’t agree now. It is what it is. 

56 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Agreed. Bill Walsh always said that wr is the last position you draft in building a team.  I think this team might be lucky to win 2 games moving forward. It is going to be tough . The Oline is going to face loaded boxes. It is basically going to be on Minshew to win games and I don't have a lot of faith in him as a starter. Plus, the wr talent on this team is very average except for Downs who has shown some big play ability.

Bill Walsh coached in a different era when running the FB was much more important than it is now.  I couldn't disagree with Bill Walsh more on this one if he still believes this.  RB would be the last postion you'd draft when building team these days.  WR should be near the top After QB, interspersed with LT, EDGE, and WR/pass catching TE.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

We’ve gone round and round earlier this year on this topic of whether accuracy can be improved. We didn’t agree then and won’t agree now. It is what it is. 

I think you are missing the point.  And in the long quote above back when he was drafted I said he might imporve his accuracy.  I also believe one of those quotes or maybe it was another one discusses how Allen broke the established NFL belief that inaccracy can't be improved.  So I am not sure what you are referencing on that. 

The point I was making in the quote your above response addresses is that it might not be necessary to be that accurate of a passer with his qualities.

So you can actually envison a scenario that AR blows a knee and permantly loses his athletic ability and becomes a great drop back traditional QB?  

I can't envision that personally.

26 minutes ago, Nickster said:

So you can actually envison a scenario that AR blows a knee and permantly loses his athletic ability and becomes a great drop back traditional QB?

I think it’s possible. 

I’m not sure what point you’re making anymore. It feels like you’re arguing with me just for the sake of arguing. I can say one thing, you’ll disagree and say I’m not talking about whatever point you’re making. 

Have a good day. 

8 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I think it’s possible. 

I’m not sure what point you’re making anymore. It feels like you’re arguing with me just for the sake of arguing. I can say one thing, you’ll disagree and say I’m not talking about whatever point you’re making. 

Have a good day. 

I literally have no idea what you are talking about.  Didn't you respond to one of my posts?  Or call me out on what we went "round and round about"?  lol.  I never said I don't think AR cant' be a good NFL QB.  I doubt and still doubt his ability to be good without the running. 

I don't think it's very likely that AR or Allen or LJ and Newton was proven not to be able to be a great NFL QB without the wheels.

11 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I think it’s possible. 

Have a good day. 

Dude seriously this takes the cake. I didn't respond to you, wasn't arguing with you, I think the fundammental disagreement is that AR can be a tradtional drop back QB in retrospect. 

You call me out and then I'm the one arguing.

Jesus skin is paper thin these days. 

2 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I literally have no idea what you are talking about.  Didn't you respond to one of my posts?  Or call me out on what we went "round and round about"?  lol.  I never said I don't think AR cant' be a good NFL QB.  I doubt and still doubt his ability to be good without the running. 

I don't think it's very likely that AR or Allen or LJ and Newton was proven not to be able to be a great NFL QB without the wheels.

I’m not calling you out on anything. I actually respect you quite a bit as one fellow teacher to another. 

Take care. 

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

I’m not calling you out on anything. I actually respect you quite a bit as one fellow teacher to another. 

Take care. 

All right man.  Hey we had PSAT yesterday and something else today.  I've had a lot of time at the ole computer these last couple days lol.  These are the good ones sometimes. 

Just now, Nickster said:

All right man.  Hey we had PSAT yesterday and something else today.  I've had a lot of time at the ole computer these last couple days lol.  These are the good ones sometimes. 

Nothing but testing over here this week as well. I’ll probably be stepping off of the site more in the future as we ramp up curriculum. Gotta get ready for all of the observations… 

Just now, RollerColt said:

Nothing but testing over here this week as well. I’ll probably be stepping off of the site more in the future as we ramp up curriculum. Gotta get ready for all of the observations… 

Yeah dude and when I say call out, my panties aren't in a bunge.  This is the type of thing I want to do on this site.  Go back and forth talking ball.

You literally though asked me about my ideas on AR and must misremember what we discussed because there is one good example of a guy in allen who recently fixed some of the accuarcay issues and I said as much early on.  I'm not sure if allen would be a great NFL QB without the running/scrambling too.  

It just seemed strange to me that a dude asks your opinion, you give it, then show that he was inaccurate on your viewpoints and then somehow you are the one arguing lol.

No big deal.  Just interesting to me. 

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

Yeah dude and when I say call out, my panties aren't in a bunge.  This is the type of thing I want to do on this site.  Go back and forth talking ball.

You literally though asked me about my ideas on AR and must misremember what we discussed because there is one good example of a guy in allen who recently fixed some of the accuarcay issues and I said as much early on.  I'm not sure if allen would be a great NFL QB without the running/scrambling too.  

It just seemed strange to me that a dude asks your opinion, you give it, then show that he was inaccurate on your viewpoints and then somehow you are the one arguing lol.

No big deal.  Just interesting to me. 

I was actually legit curious on who you wanted to draft, there wasn’t any ulterior motive or gotcha stuff tied to it. 

I’ll be really curious to see how everyone plays out next year and in ‘25. 

I get your point on QBs who can dance around a bit. That indeed does look like the future for the NFL. 

5 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I was actually legit curious on who you wanted to draft, there wasn’t any ulterior motive or gotcha stuff tied to it. 

I’ll be really curious to see how everyone plays out next year and in ‘25. 

I get your point on QBs who can dance around a bit. That indeed does look like the future for the NFL. 

It's more than dance to me that is going on, there have been scrambling QBs back to the days of Fran the man and Roger the Dodger.  What has changed dramatically over the course of the last couple few years is QBs who are drafted to be runners not scramblers like LJ, Fields, Hurts, Allen etc.  The game changed in that respect.   None of these guys would have been drafted high even 10 years ago.    You had one once in a blue moon.  I think you are younger than me.

The Bears had a QB back in the day can't remember his name, black dude though when I don't think there had been any black QBs yet, that ran a lot.  Then there was Young for a couple years and Randall Cunning ham, then Vick, then NEwton, and now a bevy of guys. Point is there have only been a few times in NFL history when there have been running Qbs have any success and now there are a few.  

9 minutes ago, Nickster said:

It's more than dance to me that is going on, there have been scrambling QBs back to the days of Fran the man and Roger the Dodger.  What has changed dramatically over the course of the last couple few years is QBs who are drafted to be runners not scramblers like LJ, Fields, Hurts, Allen etc.  The game changed in that respect.   None of these guys would have been drafted high even 10 years ago.    You had one once in a blue moon.  I think you are younger than me.

The Bears had a QB back in the day can't remember his name, black dude though when I don't think there had been any black QBs yet, that ran a lot.  Then there was Young for a couple years and Randall Cunning ham, then Vick, then NEwton, and now a bevy of guys. Point is there have only been a few times in NFL history when there have been running Qbs have any success and now there are a few.  

Dabears had Bobby Douglas.  But he was white.  

todays qbs have to still be great passers.  But maybe not every throw

so between their wheels and their arms, the nfl is starting to look like a boxing match between two opposing superhero’s with a bunch of rotational role players filling in the other positions. 

if you don’t have the superhero. You’re not even in the ring

it’s evolving away from being interesting   Jmo 

4 hours ago, IndyEric07 said:

Colts will not be in position to draft MHJ even if they lose out, there will be a team or 2 ahead of them to take MHJ! I wouldn’t mind though if they were to draft that WR out of Washington, Odunze, at some point! Kid can create separation and can be a deep threat. Also, I don’t see the Colts going after Bowers with the current depth they already have. Ogletree, Granson, Mallory, and Woods are a good core. I do see them finally moving on from Mo though. 

I’ve never said that the colts would be in position to draft him lol. If they did indeed want him they could absolutely trade up. 

26 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I think you are younger than me.

I'm 35. Just old enough to remember a time like @DougDew was mentioning where the NFL was more interesting. I liked it when the WRs and the RBs were the superheroes. 

Matchups like Jerry Rice vs. Primetime... that was entertainment. 

I don't even know what we're seeing on the field this season... 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Dabears had Bobby Douglas.  But he was white.  

todays qbs have to still be great passers.  But maybe not every throw

so between their wheels and their arms, the nfl is starting to look like a boxing match between two opposing superhero’s with a bunch of rotational role players filling in the other positions. 

if you don’t have the superhero. You’re not even in the ring

it’s evolving away from being interesting   Jmo 

It was Vince Evans whom I was thinking about.  Just remembered him.   That was my dawning as a football fan kid of Da Bears back in the early days of Sir Walter. 

I agree about the QB thing and interst BTW.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

Actual NFL scouts and Execs have compared MHJ talent to the likes of Randy Moss. Calling him a generational talent . You dont get that type of praise being a Typical NFL WR. 

I didn’t say that I thought mjh would be a typical nfl wr.  I said that I think the difference between bowers and the typical nfl te will be greater than the difference between mjh and the typical nfl wr.  

but that’s just speculative opinion at this point.  If the colts end up with mjh it will be a good thing.  

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Mainly, the people that did not want us to draft AR are coming up with everything imaginable to justify why we shouldn't have taken him. From the 4 games I have seen him play, he looked above average to me. My only worry is, can he stay healthy? 

mobile qbs are elusive and move trying to find an open man, they dont take as many hits as a running qb who try to get yards with his legs

6 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

mobile qbs are elusive and move trying to find an open man, they dont take as many hits as a running qb who try to get yards with his legs

I think mobile and dual threat are different and often confused. P. Mahomes is a mobile QB, but he's a past first QB. Your dual threat, are QBs that strength is running and making plays for with their legs. Historically, those QBs, play well early in there career, but not very long with success. Not to mention, they don't dominate post season or SB play. JMO.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Mainly, the people that did not want us to draft AR are coming up with everything imaginable to justify why we shouldn't have taken him. From the 4 games I have seen him play, he looked above average to me. My only worry is, can he stay healthy? 

I didn’t want us to take him but I agree he is probably better than Levis. I wanted Stroud but he was off the board. I was worried bc AR’s type of play tends to have more injuries. Didn’t think it would be season ending surgery. More of he would constantly have nagging small injuries he could play through but take away his athleticism and make him rely on his arm to make plays when we need it. I feel his style of QB play is great for 5-7 years and then Father Time starts calling.

I’m interested to see how Hurts and Lamar play at 30 to 34 once they are a bit beat up from all the hits and they are starting to decline physically.  This is kind of new for the NFL so a bit uncharted territory. Cam fell off a cliff but I don’t think he was as complete at QB as Hurts and Lamar. 

5 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I'm 35. Just old enough to remember a time like @DougDew was mentioning where the NFL was more interesting. I liked it when the WRs and the RBs were the superheroes. 

Matchups like Jerry Rice vs. Primetime... that was entertainment. 

I don't even know what we're seeing on the field this season... 

I remember the time when qbs like joe Montana or Steve young could meet Dan fouts or Dan Marino in the sb. Not that it ever happened.  Two different style of qbs and two different offenses both playing at a high level.   

now it seems every team needs qbs that are closer together in style with less variety 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Mainly, the people that did not want us to draft AR are coming up with everything imaginable to justify why we shouldn't have taken him.

Are you sure.  I haven’t seen anybody saying that we should not have taken him.   Or are you keeping score from what people said last spring and are now comparing that to what they are saying now?   Honest question. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I remember the time when qbs like joe Montana or Steve young could meet Dan fouts or Dan Marino in the sb. Not that it ever happened.  Two different style of qbs and two different offenses both playing at a high level.   

now it seems every team needs qbs that are closer together in style with less variety 

The style is basically street ball. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

The style is basically street ball. 

If the goal is out of structure play.  Then why not just throw the structure of the play book away  

if it’s about one read then “qb do something”  and receiver “ find open space”. it doesn’t seem like better offensive coordination. It seems like it drifting towards the absence of offensive coordination 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

If the goal is out of structure play.  Then why not just throw the structure of the play book away  

if it’s about one read then “qb do something”  and receiver “ find open space”. it doesn’t seem like better offensive coordination. It seems like it drifting towards the absence of offensive coordination 

Isn’t that essentially what Mahomes does? I think it was at the end of his 2nd full season he stated he still wasn’t truly reading defenses… 

10 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Isn’t that essentially what Mahomes does? I think it was at the end of his 2nd full season he stated he still wasn’t truly reading defenses… 

Seems like it.  Pm runs around until Kelce finds an open space or tyreek breaks off and runs deep.  I often wondered why ried/bienemy got credit for great coordination when out-of-structure play was a huge reason kc was who they were

i think it’s more structured now.  And kelce seems to be less dynamic by a swift-ish margin this year. 

and I think overall they are less explosive this year but still very good.   

Their defense has gotten better from the early mahomes years imo. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Seems like it.  Pm runs around until Kelce finds an open space or tyreek breaks off and runs deep.  I often wondered why ried/bienemy got credit for great coordination when out-of-structure play was a huge reason kc was who they were

i think it’s more structured now.  And kelce seems to be less dynamic by a swift-ish margin this year. 

and I think overall they are less explosive this year but still very good.   

Their defense has gotten better from the early mahomes years imo. 

Yes, I've noticed the offense isn't as explosive with the lack of WR talent and the scheme. 

I agree about their defense. They may not even need to have a high powered offense anymore to win it all. 

51 minutes ago, DougDew said:

by a swift-ish margin this year.

I see what ya did there lol...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Archer said:

The OP is outta his dang mind!  Particularly about losing to the Patriots…

The Patriots will have home field in Germany as they have a german player on their roster... and the colts are one big questionmark right now... not that the Patriots are any better, bc they are not... but for the patriots it just can´t become much worse and they always plays well against the colts.

so sorry to be outta my mind for saying that we are gonna lose to the patriots and a lot of the other games....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

The Patriots will have home field in Germany as they have a german player on their roster... and the colts are one big questionmark right now... not that the Patriots are any better, bc they are not... but for the patriots it just can´t become much worse and they always plays well against the colts.

so sorry to be outta my mind for saying that we are gonna lose to the patriots and a lot of the other games....

No one really has home field in Germany. 

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

No one really has home field in Germany. 

he said the Pats have homefield advantage because they have A (one...singular) german player on their roster.  I'm pretty sure he was being facetious.  

16 hours ago, Peter Nova said:

I think mobile and dual threat are different and often confused. P. Mahomes is a mobile QB, but he's a past first QB. Your dual threat, are QBs that strength is running and making plays for with their legs. Historically, those QBs, play well early in there career, but not very long with success. Not to mention, they don't dominate post season or SB play. JMO.

Well Hurts is definitely dual threat.  And he put up incredible numbers in the Superbowl, and did than his part to win putting up 35 points.  

Newton also went the Superbowl and could have won it.  

I agree with you about shorter careers, but there is some real success from running QBs lately, and the league is followoing suit.  It's a copycat league.   I think teams are willing to experiment and draft guys with a 5 or 6 year window at QB rather than a 10-12 year window as in the past.  

I agree with what you are saying but the NFL historical practices have radically changed in the last half dozen or so years especailly at the QB position. 

• Like 1

On 10/17/2023 at 10:54 AM, ThorstenDenmark said:

Hello Colts fans....

Well... with Anthony Richardson´s injury which looks like season ending, and though we have a decent backup QB in Minshew.... it looks like we are heading towards another top 10 draft pick.

Why so? well looking at our remaining schedule I see us going 3-8 (6-11) at best. (Yes, im not as optimistic as other colts fans in here, so sorry for that opinion)

Cleveland L

Saints W

AT Panthers W

AT Patriots L

Bucks L

AT Titans L

AT Bengals L

Steelers L

AT Falcons L

Raiders W

Texans L

On 10/17/2023 at 10:54 AM, ThorstenDenmark said:

That was a hard fought loss last night :( 

Refs don't seem to help us one bit :( 

I disagree 100% with this topic. If we stop shooting ourselves in the foot, stop playing triple vanilla super soft zone defense, and get some fair officiating(I know that one won't happen) we will win the division. The only 2 sure losses left on the schedule are the pathetically talentless steelers, and the just as bad pats. All other games are very winnable.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2023 at 4:54 AM, ThorstenDenmark said:

Hello Colts fans....

Well... with Anthony Richardson´s injury which looks like season ending, and though we have a decent backup QB in Minshew.... it looks like we are heading towards another top 10 draft pick.

Why so? well looking at our remaining schedule I see us going 3-8 (6-11) at best. (Yes, im not as optimistic as other colts fans in here, so sorry for that opinion)

Cleveland L

Saints W

AT Panthers W

AT Patriots L

Bucks L

AT Titans L

AT Bengals L

Steelers L

AT Falcons L

Raiders W

Texans L

A 6-11 record will put us in the ballpark of a top 7-10 draft pick, so we might get a chance to get a really great young player once again.

So for the sake of this argument, what position should we or what is our biggest need? 

And should we just go all in and throw a bunch of picks after a player like Marvin Harrison Jr?

Of course the 2024 draft is a long way from now, but given the situation with AR, this season looks to be yet another one, where the colts don't seem to make the playoffs, which in my opinion could have looked different with AR in the field.

So colts fans... how is the mood and am I being to unrealistic?

They need to win 7 games so I can cash out of my $5 bet lol

On 10/19/2023 at 10:05 AM, RollerColt said:

That Patriots squad is probably the worst since 1992... 

Belicheck vs minshew is not something good for us. We could lose, i dont see us making the playoffs this year so a high draft pick would be swell. Would love to have mhj

9 hours ago, Zoltan said:

While I don’t think we will be high enough to draft Marvin Harrison Jr., one player that I’m really starting to like for this offense is WR Troy Franklin out of Oregon.

I like the other Ohio State WR in Egbuka. Or I’d be good with getting DE Jared Verse if he’s there. Or maybe a top corner.