Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Top 10 draft pick incoming....

ThorstenDenmark

32 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Let’s not forget that almost a year ago you were making this exact same prediction on the 2022 Colts.   That there was a clear path to a winning season and even the playoffs.   

Im not saying history is going to repeat itself and our season is about to implode, not saying that at all….    But I am saying you’re an extreme optimist and that’s coloring some of your predictions.  I agree our schedule is favorable, but I don’t think it’s as favorable as you see it.   Again, a very optimistic viewpoint.  

I think we are playing better this year, only time will tell. Taylor is healthy as well. Like I said I could be wrong, I still see 8-8-1 at worse assuming Mustache doesn't get injured. If our schedule was brutal, then I would pick us to win maybe 5 or 6 games, but it isn't. This is such a week-to-week league. A lot of people are boasting about the Browns because they beat the 49ers but they aren't consistent nor are most teams. Almost everyone had the Cowboys buried after they got thumped by the 49ers, now they are the toast of the NFL after last night's win at Chargers.

In all my years of covering the sport, most people overreact after a team wins or loses. For some saying Mustache got exposed and that we are just going to implode is a little overboard. Maybe the Jags are simply better? He had 1 bad week. If he has 2 bad weeks in a row, then that would be concerning. We play some average QB's the rest of the way so Mustache isn't outmatched in most of these games. Joe Burrow is the only elite QB we play the rest of the year. Trevor Lawrence is a top 10 QB.

Before the season started, I felt like AR and Mustache could win roughly the same amount of games had they played all 17. Simply because AR was a rookie coming in and would have growing pains, but I thought he would at least be average. Mustache has been a great backup over the years so I was thinking 8 wins either way. 

After watching AR play in the 4 games I have seen, with AR playing all 17 - I believe this team may have won 10 this year had he stayed healthy. He was playing better than average.

24 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I've never been high on Ridder, but he's an NFL starting QB.  I just have a broader lens about teams drafting QB talent than fans discarding them when they aren't top 15 superhero talent.  

ATL has not been considering a QB since they've drafted him, even though ATL keeps popping up on Colts fans' lists of teams possibly needing a QB.    Knowing those fans are wrong doesn't mean I'm tremendously high on Ridder.  He's a third round NFL starting QB, but not superhero talent.

Pitts is more of a fast guy, IMO.  Bowers is stronger and can break tackles as well as run away from them.  I'd take Bowers college play over Pitts' college play. 

A QB certainly needs to get the receiver the ball.  I would think AR should be able to get MJHj the ball deep outside.

The key difference is an outside WR can produce faster than a TE unless the TE is used as a WR. But TEs being lined up in the middle require more understanding of the offenses and coverages than a WR lined up outside, typically. Hence I always believe a highly rated draft prospect WR will give you faster ROI than a similar TE.

You have personally mentioned Ridder as someone you wanted us to trade for instead of giving up a high draft pick, I remember it. It could have been mentioned as the less expensive alternative but you did think highly enough of him to suggest that. I wouldn't just throw that out if I didn't remember it. Just like you might still be high on Stetson Bennett now, and more posters will probably remember that better.

17 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The key difference is an outside WR can produce faster than a TE unless the TE is used as a WR. But TEs being lined up in the middle require more understanding of the offenses and coverages than a WR lined up outside, typically. Hence I always believe a highly rated draft prospect WR will give you faster ROI than a similar TE.

You have personally mentioned Ridder as someone you wanted us to trade for instead of giving up a high draft pick, I remember it. It could have been mentioned as the less expensive alternative but you did think highly enough of him to suggest that. I wouldn't just throw that out if I didn't remember it. Just like you are high on Stetson Bennett now.

I suggested trading for Ridder if ATL wanted to trade up to 4 for a QB (because some were insisting they wanted a new QB).  And then build out the roster with the draft picks.  Ridder is not going to be the super hero guy, but a team can win games with him, IMO.  I would not describe that as being "high" on him.  That trade scenario was in the context of us not getting Stroud and ATL wanting to trade up to get a new QB (which I didn't remotely think they wanted).

I've never wanted the Colts to draft Bennett, just like I've never wanted the Colts to draft Young.  They are both too small, IMO.  My seemingly positive comments about Bennett was in the convo about why in the world Young was thought of so highly by so many.  I didn't see the disparity, but I never wanted either of them. 

Agree that outside WR gets the better ROI.  I'm not advocating Bowers over MJHj or anybody at this point.  But I think he needs to be in the convo despite who we have in our TE room.  

• Like 1

Just now, DougDew said:

I suggested trading for Ridder if ATL wanted to trade up to 4 for a QB.  And then build out the roster with the draft picks.  Ridder is not going to be the super hero guy, but a team can win games with him, IMO.  I would not describe that as being "high" on him.  That trade scenario was in the context of us not getting Stroud.

I've never wanted the Colts to draft Bennett, just like I've never wanted the Colts to draft Young.  They are both too small, IMO.  My seemingly positive comments about Bennett was in the convo about why in the world Young was thought of so highly by so many.  I didn't see the disparity, but I never wanted either of them. 

Agree that outside WR gets the better ROI.  I'm not advocating Bowers over MJHj or anybody at this point.  But I think he needs to be in the convo despite who we have in our TE room.  

Of course, he will be slotted appropriately on Ballard's board. Last year was the 1st year Ballard chose a non-trench player in Round 1 with a QB. Maybe he follows it up with a skill position player next year, who knows. Once the season finishes, we will have plenty of time to discuss who is likely to be there at our slot.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Of course, he will be slotted appropriately on Ballard's board. Last year was the 1st year Ballard chose a non-trench player in Round 1 with a QB. Maybe he follows it up with a skill position player next year, who knows. Once the season finishes, we will have plenty of time to discuss who is likely to be there at our slot.

Yes, I know.  MJHj was mentioned in the OP, that's why I'm even talking about it.

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

Based upon my limited college football watching this season (which includes a lot of UGA games and some OSU games) he looks like the one college player that is truly a generational talent at his position.

And his position scores touchdowns and makes first downs, so its a great position to have a generational talent.

MJHj looks great, but I don't know if he's that much greater than a typical NFL WR.

FWIW….   I believe I read this morning that Brockers underwent surgery for a high ankle sprain.   I think he’s out for the season.   I don’t think he’d make it back for the playoffs around new years.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Leonard is healthy and played the majority of snaps Sunday.

Fact of the matter is, he's an absolute shell of his formal self - whether any of us like it or not. 

He's also out of position.  He's not big enough to play that position in the NFL.  This is different than playing Flus Will.  

4 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I don't know... 

There's a lot of suckage going on throughout the NFL this season...

We're sitting right at 15 at the moment, and I think that's where we end up in January. Too good to lose out, not good enough for playoffs. Mediocrely balanced. 

It's a very unfavorable spot to be in unless AR develops into being high level NFL QB.  The Hell of mediocrity.  We've been in it for almost a decade now, so we should be used to it. 

4 hours ago, Hoose said:

Just don’t see it. Browns beat the Niners, for starters. I see at most another 2-3 wins. Minshew was exposed on Sunday. A middling arm and he can be panicked into mistakes unfortunately. If they go 5-12, that’s a Top 10 pick. High enough to nab a top WR (just not Marv Jr). 

I would just say that GM has never been turnover prone.  His arm strength is the issue.  Sunday he had 25% of his total turnovers for his career.  He has 50 TDs combined v. 20 total TOs for his career which is excellent.  

Arm talent wise, he's not there and doesn't have the wheels to compensate for it, but Sunday was anamolous in the TO department. 

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Before the season started, I felt like AR and Mustache could win roughly the same amount of games had they played all 17. Simply because AR was a rookie coming in and would have growing pains, but I thought he would at least be average. Mustache has been a great backup over the years so I was thinking 8 wins either way. 

After watching AR play in the 4 games I have seen, with AR playing all 17 - I believe this team may have won 10 this year had he stayed healthy. He was playing better than average.

Why?  He didn't win ANY games lol. 

51 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

We can't seem to get a break since Luck's retirement at QB. Should a, Could a, Would a drafted CJ Stroud, had we move up like Carolina did.  Hope for the best Colt fans, maybe AR will change the way he plays and not be running as much.

Well man the reality we Colts fans are just now waking up to has been one that many franchises have had in their faces for my lifetime.  It's not normal to be a fan of a team with a great QB.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Tanking for what though?  They don't own their 1st or 2nd rounder next year.

If they are tanking it would be for the highest 3rd rounder possible lol. 

Yeah there’s no light at the end of this tunnel for the Broncos.

Just Russell Wilson. 

Just now, John Waylon said:

Yeah there’s no light at the end of this tunnel for the Broncos.

Just Russell Wilson. 

It's ugly as sin over there.  No 1st or 2nd round talent last year or this year and I think he has north of 100 mill guaranteed coming his way.  That is just as bad a situation as you get.  Unless Wilson has a resurgance, it seems difficult to even fathom how they get out of that mess.  

Even if you do strike Gold on a QB say in next years' draft in the 3rd or later ala Wilson, Brady, Prescott, you still arent' going to have money to pay anyone with Wilson's money and it will be at least 2025 until they have a real chance to draft their own impact talent.   

We need a true #1 receiver to start 

A new center and right guard 

A better cb that has wheels and play the ball

O line depth

some one to replace Leonard if he never returns to his former self 

1 draft will not find all of these but if Ballard can master free agency it would help. 

6 minutes ago, Nickster said:

It's ugly as sin over there.  No 1st or 2nd round talent last year or this year and I think he has north of 100 mill guaranteed coming his way.  That is just as bad a situation as you get.  Unless Wilson has a resurgance, it seems difficult to even fathom how they get out of that mess.  

Even if you do strike Gold on a QB say in next years' draft in the 3rd or later ala Wilson, Brady, Prescott, you still arent' going to have money to pay anyone with Wilson's money and it will be at least 2025 until they have a real chance to draft their own impact talent.   

Yeah the Broncos took it in the mouth as far as Wilson is concerned. They’ve just got to ride the storm out now. 

10 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Hello Colts fans....

Well... with Anthony Richardson´s injury which looks like season ending, and though we have a decent backup QB in Minshew.... it looks like we are heading towards another top 10 draft pick.

Why so? well looking at our remaining schedule I see us going 3-8 (6-11) at best. (Yes, im not as optimistic as other colts fans in here, so sorry for that opinion)

Cleveland L

Saints W

AT Panthers W

AT Patriots L

Bucks L

AT Titans L

AT Bengals L

Steelers L

AT Falcons L

Raiders W

Texans L

A 6-11 record will put us in the ballpark of a top 7-10 draft pick, so we might get a chance to get a really great young player once again.

So for the sake of this argument, what position should we or what is our biggest need? 

And should we just go all in and throw a bunch of picks after a player like Marvin Harrison Jr?

Of course the 2024 draft is a long way from now, but given the situation with AR, this season looks to be yet another one, where the colts don't seem to make the playoffs, which in my opinion could have looked different with AR in the field.

So colts fans... how is the mood and am I being to unrealistic?

You decided  this after just 6 games. And if we win next week we have a top twenty pick?.. lol

12 minutes ago, Coltsbluefan said:

I might be in the minority on this and I probably am,but I’m not sure if Caleb Williams is the franchise QB everyone seems to think he is.

I'm not sure of anything when it comes to CFB QBs and their NFL prospects, but he does seem to be the universally most liked prospect at least since Lawrence, and maybe since Luck really.  Thats doesn't mean he's going to pan out and I'm sure he has flaws, but he is well thought of around FB circles to this point.   None of the QBs in last year's draft were thought of as highly as this guy is right now.  Not really close the way I remember it. 

31 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

We need a true #1 receiver to start 

A new center and right guard 

A better cb that has wheels and play the ball

O line depth

some one to replace Leonard if he never returns to his former self 

1 draft will not find all of these but if Ballard can master free agency it would help. 

The OL is currently playing extremely well.  We certainly don’t need a new center.  Kelly is having a career year.  Fries has settled in and has done fine.  No complaints there.  The OL depth looks good too.  Freeland has shown well when called up on as rookie as has Sills.  It’s game 6 and Leonard had his best game this season.  FA Ballard did great with Gay and our new starting DE.  I’m having a senior moment on his name.  Every team has needs but ours is not huge.  The biggest is a WR1 and another CB as I think JuJu is going to take one of the spots.  I like the players we have actually.  It’s a solid roster.

32 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The OL is currently playing extremely well.  We certainly don’t need a new center.  Kelly is having a career year.  Fries has settled in and has done fine.  No complaints there.  The OL depth looks good too.  Freeland has shown well when called up on as rookie as has Sills.  It’s game 6 and Leonard had his best game this season.  FA Ballard did great with Gay and our new starting DE.  I’m having a senior moment on his name.  Every team has needs but ours is not huge.  The biggest is a WR1 and another CB as I think JuJu is going to take one of the spots.  I like the players we have actually.  It’s a solid roster.

A new back up center wouldn't  hurt

19 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yeah, but after 6 games, he still plays this season.  How easy will it be to stay out of the top 10 if Grove comes back as a JAG?

Can you even name one guy that got suspended for PED and wasn’t the same. I doubt he was taking steroids. It was probably something in a supplement. Having no effect on his play.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Can you even name one guy that got suspended for PED and wasn’t the same. I doubt he was taking steroids. It was probably something in a supplement. Having no effect on his play.

Throughout the entire NFL?  I don't pay attention to stuff like that.   But Robert Mathis' game improved exponentially the year he was taking a supposedly benign fertility drug....and led the entire NFL in sacks that year. 

He never had as good of a year as the year he took the PEDs.  Then he retired. 

Are you saying that PEDs cannot be performing enhancing in Grover's case?  How did he perform in the 5 years? he didn't test positive for PEDs?  And is he surprising people with his play this year and a part of last year?

9 hours ago, coltsva said:

In regard to the Browns game, I think they’ll be full of themselves after beating the 49ers, giving Colts a great chance to win. There aren’t many teams that play great week in and week out. 

Had the 49ers kicker made the 41 yard field goal at the end, nobody would be talking about how great Cleveland is. They would just be the same ol' Browns.

5 hours ago, Nickster said:

Well man the reality we Colts fans are just now waking up to has been one that many franchises have had in their faces for my lifetime.  It's not normal to be a fan of a team with a great QB.

It's so true, I think the fans who only started with Manning/Luck as QB examples must be going through crack head withdrawal...:D 

And now AR has got me/us worried after I thought we'd at least be steady at QB.

Hopefully we get off the no QB express soon.

13 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

WR, CB, DE, S and DT are all positions that could use a boost from 1st round talent. DT more bc Grover and Buckner will need extended or replaced. Safety is not high on my list but a play maker back there always helps. I think the first three I listed are extremely important spots to get blue chip players at. 

may need a qb depending on ars throwing arm and an elite pass rusher and a elite wr